Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think the visible thong makes it an attempt to cover both bases of theft and rape. If it was just stuff likes phones and cameras then yeah, it's an unfortunate advert but whatever; adding the thong to tell women not to "show off" their bodies is pretty gross.

Also, the use of the word 'assets' placed right next to her rear end in low rise jeans when a dozen other words would have worked make the second, "stop asking for it by dressing like a whore" meaning pretty explicit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

De Nomolos posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about the number of friends I have who have liked The Fibromyalgia Support Network. Maybe I'm just uneducated.

Fibromyalgia is an actual thing, if that's what you mean.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think the visible thong makes it an attempt to cover both bases of theft and rape. If it was just stuff likes phones and cameras then yeah, it's an unfortunate advert but whatever; adding the thong to tell women not to "show off" their bodies is pretty gross.

Practical Demon posted:

Also, the use of the word 'assets' placed right next to her rear end in low rise jeans when a dozen other words would have worked make the second, "stop asking for it by dressing like a whore" meaning pretty explicit.

Tp be fair, I think this is the original ad:

No idea who changed it though! V:v:V

Covertyawn
Nov 10, 2008
Too compassionate when mind healing dolphins half way across the world? No worries!

The link in question: http://www.animalscantalk2me.com/mermaids%204%20ceteceans.html

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

trapped mouse posted:

No please don't steal my flip phone and digital camera! It's 2006 and I have a lot of pictures of Hoobastank to take!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

trapped mouse posted:

gently caress the Jitterbug she's talking on, the Taiwanese "SOMY" brand camera she's carrying, and that ancient iPod--I want that sweet magic copper health magnet bracelet.

Maybe if I run into this girl, I can trade her a PSP GO for it :dance:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Covertyawn posted:

Too compassionate when mind healing dolphins half way across the world? No worries!

The link in question: http://www.animalscantalk2me.com/mermaids%204%20ceteceans.html

What.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Byzantine posted:

For a long time I was mixing up fibromyalgia and Morgellons disease, so I would have similar reactions to people going on about fibromyalgia. While Morgellons is basically delusional bullshit, fibromyalgia is apparently a legit autoimmune-ish disease, although the cause is apparently unknown and the treatment options are limited.

Morgellons is hilariously crazy though:

Wikipedia posted:

Morgellons (also called Morgellons disease or Morgellons syndrome) is a condition whose sufferers have the delusional belief that they are infested with disease-causing agents described as things like insects, parasites, hairs or fibers, but in reality no such things are present.[1]

Sufferers may exhibit a range of cutaneous symptoms such as crawling, biting, and stinging sensations (formication), unusual fibers in the skin, and persistent skin lesions (e.g., rashes or sores). These symptoms have been identified by a range of medical experts[2] including dermatologists,[3] entomologists,[4] and psychiatrists,[5] as consistent with delusional parasitosis (DP or DOP).[1] Some cases of self-diagnosed Morgellons have been more accurately diagnosed as known skin disorders.[3]

The name was coined in 2002 by Mary Leitao,[6] whose "Morgellons Research Foundation" and its self-diagnosed patients successfully lobbied members of the U.S. Congress and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to investigate the condition.[2][7] CDC researchers issued the results of their multi-year study in January 2012, indicating that there were no disease organisms present in Morgellons patients, the fibers found consisted mainly of cellulose, which the CDC suggested were likely cotton, and concluded that, in these respects, the condition was "similar to more commonly recognized conditions such as delusional infestation".

For more information, check out coast to coast AM and delusional nutjobs across the internet.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

theironjef posted:

No please don't steal my flip phone and digital camera! It's 2006 and I have a lot of pictures of Hoobastank to take!

You do realize that just because you just saw this poster, it could have been around since 2006, right?

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Guy Montag posted:

For a long time I was mixing up fibromyalgia and Morgellons disease, so I would have similar reactions to people going on about fibromyalgia. While Morgellons is basically delusional bullshit, fibromyalgia is apparently a legit autoimmune-ish disease, although the cause is apparently unknown and the treatment options are limited.

Morgellons is hilariously crazy though:

For more information, check out coast to coast AM and delusional nutjobs across the internet.

Doesn't that count as a legit mental illness though? If you're convinced you are infested with insects/parasites/fibers? It sounds pretty disturbing for the patient if they genuinely believe it. Not like they are just making something up to pull bullshit on their friends/families.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Byzantine posted:

I work in a medical field. It's impossible to accurately diagnose most of the time and 99% of people who claim it have no idea what it is, they just heard that friends of theirs with fatigue issues linked to something else have it. It's almost always concurrent with a very treatable issue like iron deficiency or untreated diabetes or prediabetes.

It also doesn't help when people allege they have "Malignant Fibromyalgia" and/or treat it homeopathically because they blame their condition on common modern medications.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

So that article is saying that people don't actually like bacon. They were tricked into it when restaurants added bacon to bland food because people like the taste of bacon...

The fad of bacon might be partially the fault of media and I'm guessing that advertisers didn't shy away from fanning the flames, but it's a pretty big stretch to apply that to the average persons consumption of bacon.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

moerketid posted:

Doesn't that count as a legit mental illness though? If you're convinced you are infested with insects/parasites/fibers? It sounds pretty disturbing for the patient if they genuinely believe it. Not like they are just making something up to pull bullshit on their friends/families.

It already exists, it's known as delusional parasitosis. It's quite nasty, and sufferers tend to not contact psychiatrists (because that would make them delusional), but rather exterminators and entomologists. There's no need for a bullshit new name or claiming it's a plague unleashed by the New World Order.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tardigrade posted:

It already exists, it's known as delusional parasitosis. It's quite nasty, and sufferers tend to not contact psychiatrists (because that would make them delusional), but rather exterminators and entomologists. There's no need for a bullshit new name or claiming it's a plague unleashed by the New World Order.

Morgellon's is for people with that who won't believe they're delusional. There's even support groups for it on the internet for people who just know that they're infested with awful parasites but that modern medicine won't help them get better. It's one of those mysterious illnesses that people sit around and diagnose each other with but warn that doctors are just in it for the money. It's like grotesquely obese people sitting around diagnosing each other with thyroid issues, basement dwelling neckbeards diagnosing each other with asperger's, and that sort of madness. Some of them likely legitimately have issues but will never seek treatment for real issues. Or completely unrelated things that are harming them. It's sad more than anything.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Morgellon's is for people with that who won't believe they're delusional. There's even support groups for it on the internet for people who just know that they're infested with awful parasites but that modern medicine won't help them get better. It's one of those mysterious illnesses that people sit around and diagnose each other with but warn that doctors are just in it for the money. It's like grotesquely obese people sitting around diagnosing each other with thyroid issues, basement dwelling neckbeards diagnosing each other with asperger's, and that sort of madness. Some of them likely legitimately have issues but will never seek treatment for real issues. Or completely unrelated things that are harming them. It's sad more than anything.

It's very telling that typing Morgellons into Google will list "Morgellons chemtrails" as a possible completion.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's one of those mysterious illnesses that people sit around and diagnose each other with but warn that doctors are just in it for the money.

So fibromyalgia

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Kajeesus posted:

MRA is a movement dedicated to hurting women, rather than helping men.

And it's also pretty good at hurting men, too.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

karl fungus posted:

So fibromyalgia

Rheumatologists diagnose people with fibromyalgia. The fact that random people self-diagnose an illness doesn't mean it doesn't exist (autism, for example). It just means those random people are idiots.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

De Nomolos posted:

I work in a medical field. It's impossible to accurately diagnose most of the time and 99% of people who claim it have no idea what it is, they just heard that friends of theirs with fatigue issues linked to something else have it. It's almost always concurrent with a very treatable issue like iron deficiency or untreated diabetes or prediabetes.

It also doesn't help when people allege they have "Malignant Fibromyalgia" and/or treat it homeopathically because they blame their condition on common modern medications.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia by a rheumatologist. I also have migraines, IBS, and the other poo poo that goes with it, so I figure it's a legit diagnosis. It's a diagnosis of exclusion for the most part, from what I can tell, though research hs shown that people with fibromyalgia are basically probably just over-sensitive to like, everything. For example, I have photophobia, and if I don't moisturize my hands, the feeling of slight dryness drives me nuts. It sucks majorly to actually have, it's like having the flu all the time for the most part. People who are tired sometimes or some poo poo and self diagnose piss me off, because people already have trouble believing it's a real thing.

This is the second time I've heard the phrase "malignant fibromyalgia" though. What the gently caress is that even supposed to mean? That it'll kill you somehow?

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah the problem here are self-diagnosers and I think fibro and ME suffer from a whole ton of them. It doesn't help they're also somewhat overdiagnosed by doctors who can't be arsed to figure out some patients' real issue. Self-diagnosers are everywhere online though - just look at Tumblr and all the people there who have lists of mental and physical illnesses as long as your arm.

Has to be said I lost a friend because I told her she couldn't self-diagnose a brain tumor from having frequent tension headaches (she wouldn't go to the doctor because she didn't want "the bad news") and also she might want to get her self-diagnosis of bipolar confirmed since she didn't really show any signs of it (gently caress psychiatrists man, they don't know anything). She went off the deep end into woo-woo spiritual stuff shortly after we parted ways and self-diagnosed fibro as well.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

karl fungus posted:

So fibromyalgia

A pretty big difference between Morgellon's and fibromyalgia is that one of them, you know, actually exists.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Saw this on my Facebook. Today.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Daniel Bryan posted:

Maxine's at it again!!!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Daniel Bryan posted:

Hey, that's the old lady from that funny crank picture book I had when I was 8. "The bigger they are, the harder it is to find pants that fit."

These aptioons aren't the slightest bit funny thoug.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A pretty big difference between Morgellon's and fibromyalgia is that one of them, you know, actually exists.

Fibro is basically the aspergers of chronic pain. It exists, but most people talking about having it read about it online once or twice.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

"I was raised to love everyone for who they are!... but since this is 'Right Wing News', by 'everyone' we actually just mean 'white Christians'."

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's got to be Morgellon's.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Daniel Bryan posted:

Uggh I hate that old crow.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

"I was raised to love everyone for who they are!... but since this is 'Right Wing News', by 'everyone' we actually just mean 'white Christians'."

Thankfully my parents raised me to be an absolute rear end in a top hat. Like whoever shared this!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Courtesy of AusPol

Gough Suppressant posted:

https://www.facebook.com/ross.a.lloyd.5?fref=ts / https://twitter.com/f22ross

quote:

The Sequel to "Soul Saviour" The Brotherhood's plans for a global Caliphate required maintaining an ally in the White House. The highly popular Governor “Gentleman Jack” Stevenson however, emerged as a serious threat to this requirement. Unfortunately Jack had an Achilles heel, his only child Emily. Taken hostage by the “Brotherhood” while she was holidaying in Turkey and subjected to unspeakable torment, Emily would need a miracle. She would need someone quite unique… While taking a much needed vacation with his friends riding across the US, Ryan and co would answer several cries for help before Ryan is asked to perform a miracle.

quote:

Soul Saviour" is a semi-autobiographical novel by Ross A Lloyd. The story describes the abduction of Lana, an American pop star, during a concert tour of Australia and of her serendipitous saviour, Ryan a reluctantly ageing bodybuilder from Canberra, a fictional alter ego of the author. It is written in free indirect speech.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

IslamoNazi posted:

Courtesy of AusPol

Oh good, 99% of his Facebook feed is about how Muslims are sub-human and pure evil. That's great.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh good, 99% of his Facebook feed is about how Muslims are sub-human and pure evil. That's great.

It only gets better

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Ross Lloyd's `Soul Saviour' is a sprawling, intelligent, darkly comic and dazzling homoerotic thriller. Rich in subtext, the novel acts as a razor sharp allegory for the challenges facing modern homosexuals in Australia, and confronts traditional notions of masculinity and maleness through its anachronistic and ironic central protagonist, `Ryan'.

The novel - a stunning debut by the author - is groundbreaking and fearless in its deconstruction of stale genre archetypes. Through his multilayered narrative, Lloyd revitalises the tired formulas that encumber the work of lesser writers, and presents the reader with a clear directive, look closer.

To wit, the (semi autobiographical) anti-hero's outer bravado and physical daring function as a counter narrative mechanism, highlighting his internal conflicts concerning his mortality, his naiveté, and his sexual identity. Furthermore, his desire to defend and to covet the novel's central female character, the virginal and unobtainable Lana, is analogous to the unrealistic pressure that men in modern society face to function within some sort of idyllic heterosexual nomenclature.

Here Lloyd utilises the notion of Islamic fundamentalism as the quintessence of religious conservativism and antiquated moral philosophy, and as Ryan battles terrorist hoards intent on harming Lana and himself, he is epitomizing the battles that have raged between progressives and traditionalists for millennia. By finally shattering Lana as well as her captors, then, Lloyd is also seeking to shatter society's normative orthodoxy regarding same sex companionship, and it is fitting that Ryan should be `set free' by her destruction in an astonishing orgiastic climax.

In fact, it is here that Lloyd's symbolism most meaningfully collides with his literalism, as Ryan's conflict with his inner sexual demons manifests into a physical battle with a tentacled monster that evokes epic phallic imagery and deeply sadomasochistic homoeroticism. Through the cleansing flames Ryan emerges triumphant, unshackled, un-apologetic, and un-closeted, and we the reader applaud joyfully.

With that said, there are moments in Soul Saviour where Lloyd's mask of ambivalence slips, and he strays into more overt acts of symbolism that arguably border on clumsy.
Scenes where Ryan `power lifts' with his cadre of comrades (read: lovers) in the gym strain the allegorical nature of the story to near breaking point, as we the reader cannot help but see two forms of sweaty exertion co-mingle and coalesce with stunning clarity. Thus, there is little need for Lloyd's subsequent `knowing winks' to the reader as he details Ryan's aching butt and tired muscles, because the imagery of Ryan's `machinegun-like' ability to fellate his partners is already crystal clear.

However, given the breathtaking double act that Lloyd is attempting through his central character, one can easily forgive the occasional flourishes of gay flamboyance that reduce the nuance of the piece, because his intentions are admirable and his execution is near flawless. Soul Saviour, therefore, is a brave and skilful coda to the revolutionary works of previous authors in the gay literature discourse, which seeks to shatter the paradigms of both the genre and society, and which - for the most part - succeeds with relish.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
"Terrorist hoards" is great all by itself. Piles of dusty Kalashnikovs?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IslamoNazi posted:

It only gets better

Ahahaha whaaaaaaat

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Aesop Poprock posted:

Ahahaha whaaaaaaat

Honestly, I kind of felt hell dump like but then I realise this guy really wants hell to dump on him. Also AusPol is great, buy AusPol bonds.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
From my local conservative Facebook idiot:

:rolleyes:

So I click on "Progressive & Radical" to see if it's an actual established category that people use, and I'm greeted with this:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Keep scrolling if she's ugly or stupid and you don't love her!

NobbytheSheep
Sep 2, 2011
I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows I'm miserable now
That 'I was raised' picture confuses me. Who are you supposed to say 'yes sir' and 'no sir' to, teachers or all adult males? And what the hell does 'speak when entering a room' have to do with manners?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

NobbytheSheep posted:

That 'I was raised' picture confuses me. Who are you supposed to say 'yes sir' and 'no sir' to, teachers or all adult males? And what the hell does 'speak when entering a room' have to do with manners?

"SUP BITCHES I'M HERE."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

NobbytheSheep posted:

The "yes sir no sir" to all adult males was a thing when I was a kid although I think it died off in my area around the mid 90s or so. I also had an aunt who got really bent out of shape about people not saying anything when they walked into an occupied room, she thought it was incredibly rude and would bitch out kids' parents at Christmas for it. I don't know where she was from, she had an accent of some kind that I had a hard time understanding but my uncle divorced her when I was about 10. I have never met anyone who cared about it since so I'm guessing it's a regional thing wherever she was from.

• Locked thread