Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

This is the game thread for 'Team Heart', group 2 for Dead in Thay.

:h:Team Heart:h:
ryuujin - Montgomery Williams, fighter1/rogue1/bard4
kingcom - KRAG HACK, cleric
Father Wendigo - Gortto Dukakis, rogue
cloud potato - July Shieldheart, cleric
covok - Sandy Roads, bard

Alumni
hashtag - Smash Stonefist, monk

The main game thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632083
Recruit/OOC/character sheets thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631612

IRC is #deadinthay on synirc.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Ryuujin posted:

Montgomery Williams

After conferring with the other forthright individual that put themselves forward Montgomery managed to split the group of would be adventurers into two groups, one accompanying him and the other accompanying the fly orbited wood elf, this Folhapreta. The elf has managed to surround himself with some hefty looking individuals, still Montgomery looks at his group and does not feel like he really came out all that bad.

He confers with the group, and tries to come up with a team name for ease of use, but one of the two clerics keeps speaking up. A brash individual, who seems prone to rushing into danger, a man by the name of KRAG HACK. A seasoned adventurer who has somehow managed to survive some terrible odds, despite his tendency to rush straight into danger. KRAG HACK keeps bringing up Heart, and eventually to appease him the name inadvertently becomes Team Heart. This will probably change at some later time, but for now it will have to do.

Then they get down to trying to decide which node to tackle first. After some debate it is finally decided, mostly by KRAG HACK again, that Fire would be a good idea. It will likely hurt, but any hurts should be a simple matter for the group to heal with their plentiful healing magics. So Montgomery turns to Mennek.

"We will tackle the Fire node first."

And so the fate of group two was sealed. A painful fiery death was chosen for them, and in a blinding flash they were teleported to the node of fire. Somewhere in here was a 'key', whatever form that was supposed to take.

click for bigger, duh

The 'gate' that you emerge from is a charred circle on the ground. Flames ring the gate, but they flicker enough that you might be able to jump past. As for the rest of the room, the very walls here are searing hot. Magma fissures belch forth melted earth. You may have made a very poor decision.

What do you do?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Montgomery Williams
HP: 35/42

Montgomery spends some time carefully watching the flames rise and fall, trying to calculate anything resembling a pattern, and trying to discern the optimum time to leap across. While he does so he remains away from the flames. After some time he gets up and runs and leaps over the flames, the now low flames if he had timed it right. He leaps and tumbles, and with any luck lands safely on the other side. Then he moves away from the flame ring, towards the south eastern path, while he waits for the others to get across.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 7, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Give me a DC13 Dex save if you leap the flames. If you fail give yourself 2d6 fire damage.

:iceburn:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah this is going well.
DC 13 Dex Save 1d20+3+2 10 yeah.
Fire Damage 2d6 7

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

"Running directly into the flames. A cunning plan Mr Williams! Krag will follow in a moment!"

Krag Casts protection from Energy(Fire) on himself and attempts to dive through the flames.

http://orokos.com/roll/190087 : 3

http://orokos.com/roll/190090 : 7 (Half is 3)

Krag Hack makes it through the fire with only his beard having burst into flames, though it is difficult to tell.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 7, 2014

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Smash Stonefist

Smash takes a running start and does a series of flips, mistiming his last to land him directly in the wall of flames. He stumbles out, pats his burning robes out, and gives the rest of the party a grin, blackened by soot. "Meant to do that!"

Dex save: 1d20+5 10
Fire damage: 2d6 10

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Three failed saves? Excellent.
\
:smugwizard:

The smell of burnt flesh has attracted the attention of some fire elementals! Roll initiative; if you beat the elementals' init, take your turn right now!

Elementals get a init: 1d20+3 16. They have AC13 and resist damage from nonmagical weapons. Yeah, your weapons! Ha!

Oh yeah, keep track of your HP.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Smash Stonefist

Smash is too busy grinning to notice the elementals.

Init: 1d20+3 5

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

Init:
http://orokos.com/roll/190098: 3

KRAG HACK TAKE HIS TIME

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Montgomery Williams

As Montgomery gets a look around, and watches the arrival of a fire elemental, he takes a brief mental moment to send a message to Folhapreta on the other team. He begins to hum, even as he is composing and sending the message, and draws his weapons as his humming moves into full blown singing, filling the others will a call to battle. As he does so he draws one of his short swords, drawing the other as he begins to move into position.

Initiative 1d20+3 18
Going to Call to Battle, drawing a shortsword, then move to AY 22 while drawing the second shortsword.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
This is an init block. If you see a :rolldice: next to your name at any time, take your turn right the gently caress now!
\

Initiative
:rolldice: ?? July Shieldheart
:rolldice: ?? Sandy Roads
18: Montgomery Williams 35/42
16: Elementals x4 (22/22HP, AC13, resist nonmagical, immune to fire/disease/hunger/poison/sleep/suffocation/thirst/paralyze/petrify/polymorph haha no I'm not joking)
5: Smash Stonefist
3: Krag Hack

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

HP=36/36

1d20+3 = 17 (Hope this is still a dexterity check)

Seeing the living flames take form before him, Sandy prepares for the battle before him.

Sandy takes out his crossbow and moves to AS 16. Taking aim with his weapon, Sandy fires a bolt at the beast of flames. (19 remaining)

1d20 + 6 = 7 Well...Natural 1.

(It's been a while since I've played D&D. I'm assuming drawing a weapon is a quick action, moving the 5 squares was a movement action, and attacking is my standard action. If I'm wrong, I apologize and will correct this immediately.)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

July Shieldheart:

init: 1d20-1 18

Join the rest of the group, throw a javelin at bottom-right elemental.

DC 13 Dex: 1d20-1 8
Fire damage: 2d6 9 Now at 36/45 HP
Javelin attack: 1d20 18 +5 to hit as well? Someone work this out for me? Please?
Javelin damage: 1d6+3 8

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
July's call to battle damage bonus: 1d4 1. Total damage to elemental = 9, halved to 4.

Two elementals move to Sandy and attack! Two attacks vs Sandy: 2#1d20+4 20 18 2#2d4+3 5 10. Two hits, 15 fire damage.

One attacks Smash: attack: 1d20+4 8 2d4+3 7 and misses.

Last one attacks Montgomery: attack: 1d20+4 12 2d4+3 11 and misses.

The monsters went, everyone is up, don't forget call to battle bonus - I wont do it for you again!

Initiative
:rolldice:July Shieldheart (36/45)
:rolldice:Sandy Roads (23/38)
:rolldice:Montgomery Williams 35/42 AC14
Elemental (18/22) in square AX21
Elementals x3 (22/22HP, AC13, resist nonmagical, immune to fire/disease/hunger/poison/sleep/suffocation/thirst/paralyze/petrify/polymorph haha no I'm not joking)
:rolldice:Smash Stonefist
:rolldice:Krag Hack

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
July Shieldheart:

Move to AY21, cast Sacred Flame on elemental at AX21, using Holy Symbol on shield. The elemental has to make the saving throw, yes?

Sacred Flame damage: 2d8 14 Radiant
Call to Battle damage bonus: 1d4 4

Edit: July looks around and sees the elemental she had javelin'ed not moments ago attacking Montgomery. She runs up to the beast, raises her shield and cries "Your firey from is no match for the Sacred Flame of Chauntea!" The radiant fire bursts forth from the shield and engulfs the elemental, catching its attention...

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 7, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Montgomery Williams

Montgomery nods as July moves up to the elemental. Then he swings his two shorts swords about and proceeds to stab the elemental. While his attacks on their own would not have felled the creature, not without some enchantment upon the blades, they were enough to finish off the already wounded creature. Possibly.

Sadly Call to Battle only helps melee and ranged attacks, as in stuff with attack rolls. Some spells will benefit from it, but not the ones like Sacred Flame that have a Save DC instead of an Attack Roll. Still that is some nice damage, and with July now next to the same elemental Montgomery is next to I should be able to get sneak attack.

Short Swords, with Call to Battle, vs AC of Fire Elemental 2d20+5 19, 20 for 2#1d6+3+1d4 13, 9 piercing damage plus 1d6 4 more from sneak attack on the first hit. So 17 and 9 halved would be 8 and 4 piercing damage to the elemental. Combined with July's Sacred Flame and that should be enough, assuming the Elemental fails its Dex save of course.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

HP: 23/38

Move to AP 18.

DC 13 Save: 1d20 + 3 = 13.

Attacks fire elemental in AS 17 with crossbow (18 remaining).

1d20 + 6 = 11

Well, gently caress.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Smash Stonefist
HP 35/45 | AC 16 | Ki 6/6

Smash finally leaps into action, dancing around a suprisingly agile elemental before jumping over the flames and kicking the elemental harassing Sandy in the teeth!

Move to BA-17
Attack AZ-17, miss; Vortex Punch doesn't trigger
Move to AS-18; don't provoke from AZ-17 because of Mobile, saved vs fire
Attack AS-17, 8 damage

Dex save; fire damage on fail: 1d20+3 16 Saved against fire
Flurry attacks, Vortex Punch: 2#1d20+3 5 22 2#1d8+3 4 8 1d6+6 11

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The flaming elemental dodges July's spell! dex save vs sacred flame dc14: 1d20+3 17

And now, it's time for a teaching moment! covok just managed to provoke a pair of opportunity attacks from the nearby elementals! This happens whenever you move away from an enemy. You can move around them without triggering this, but moving away without withdrawing gives them a free attack. Let's see how Sandy makes out.
\

Two OAs vs Sandy: 2#1d20+4 21 21 2#2d4+3 10 10.

Oh god they both hit! 20 damage.

Initiative
July Shieldheart (36/45)
Sandy Roads (3/38 AC13)
Montgomery Williams 35/42 AC14
Elemental (6/22) in square AX21
Elemental (14/22) in square AS17
Elementals x3 (22/22HP, AC13, resist nonmagical, immune to fire/disease/hunger/poison/sleep/suffocation/thirst/paralyze/petrify/polymorph haha no I'm not joking)
Smash Stonefist

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

KRAG HACK CAST MAGIC WEAPON ON HIS AXE.

Then moves up to BA17

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
July Shieldheart

Seeing the elemental somehow avoid the spell, July swings at it with her mace.

To hit fire elemental: 1d20+3+5 13 Think that hits, just barely?
Mace damage: 1d6+3 5
Call to Battle damage bonus: 1d4 3 Total 8, resisted down to 4, leaves the beast on 2/22 HP.

Covok
May 27, 2013

HP: 3/38

Sandy noise is assaulted by the horrid smell of his own burnt flesh. Over half of his body has been burned by the fire of the elementals. Pulling out his lute, Sandy plays an ancient limerick to soothe his wounds.

Sandy casts Cure Wounds as a second level spell (1 remaining).

4d8 + 2 = 22

With the healing power of music, the burns vanish from Sandy's body.

HP: 25/38

Revitalized, Sandy prepares to help Smash fend off the beasts.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Covok posted:

With the healing power of rock, the burns vanish from Sandy's body.

Come on son.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

quote:

Initiative
July Shieldheart (36/45)
Sandy Roads (3/38 AC13)
Montgomery Williams 35/42 AC14
Smash Stonefist (26/45 AC 16)

Oh hey look it was only Krag's turn, I don't know wtf the rest of you are doing. Monsters are up next.

First up, 2 attacks vs smash: 2#1d20+4 22 6 2#2d4+3 9 9; one hit for 9 damage.

Next, one attacks vs krag: 1d20+4 11 2d4+3 7 misses.

Finally, one attacks vs montgomery: 1d20+4 21 2d4+3 8 hits for 8 damage.

THEN those other two turns can go off. July does her thing, and Sandy heals. Now look at the :rolldice:.

Initiative
July Shieldheart (36/45)
Sandy Roads (25/38 AC13)
:rolldice:Montgomery Williams 27/42 AC14
Elementals x2 (22/22HP, AC13, resist nonmagical, immune to fire/disease/hunger/poison/sleep/suffocation/thirst/paralyze/petrify/polymorph haha no I'm not joking)

ritorix fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 8, 2014

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

Krag proceeds to hack the nearby elemental with his magical axe.

http://orokos.com/roll/190542 = 18 vs AC

http://orokos.com/roll/190543 = 7 Magic Damage

Krag will use his warpriest thingy to double tap.

http://orokos.com/roll/190544 = 13 vs AC

http://orokos.com/roll/190545 = 7 Magic Damage

http://orokos.com/roll/190547 Call to Battle bonus damage = 2

Total Damage = 16

kingcom fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 8, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Montgomery Williams
HP: 27/42

Montgomery continues his song as he slams one short short sword into the elemental before him, then he spins off toward the next nearest elemental, and slams the other blade home in it.

Short Sword, with Call to Battle, vs AC of Fire Elemental 1d20+5 21 for 1d6+3+1d4 11 piercing damage holding off on Sneak Attack for now, because I believe even halved down to 5 damage that should be enough to finish that elemental off. Assuming it was at 2 hp and not 6.

Move to BA 18.

Short Sword, with Call to Battle, vs AC of Fire Elemental 1d20+5 15 for 1d6+3+1d4 10 piercing damage plus 1d6 4 more from sneak attack on this second hit. So 14 halved would be 7 piercing damage to the elemental. I believe that finishes that elemental off after KRAG's attack.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Team Golden Balls is already done their combat! Stop slacking!

Initiative
Krag Hack
July Shieldheart (36/45)
Sandy Roads (25/38 AC13)
Montgomery Williams 27/42 AC14
Elemental in AT17 (22/22HP, AC13, resist nonmagical, immune to fire/disease/hunger/poison/sleep/suffocation/thirst/paralyze/petrify/polymorph haha no I'm not joking)

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Smash Stonefist
HP 26/45 | AC 16 | Ki 6/6

Smash punches some more stuff.

Attack AS-17 and AT-17, hit both for 5 damage
Move to AU-17 (don't provoke from Mobile), spend 1 ki to hit AT-17 again for 7 damage
Spend 1 ki to activate Vortex Punch; AS-17 and AT-17 make a DC 13 Str save or take 8 damage and prone (half damage on success)

Attacks: 2#1d20+5 20 23 2#1d8+3 5 5
Attack; Vortex Punch: 1d20+5 16 1d8+3 7 1d6+6 8

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Vortex punch saving throws: as17, at17 str dc 13 saves: 2#1d20 16 11. AS17 saves, takes half (4). Other one dies in a fire.

The lone survivor rushes forward in a rage! Attack smash: 1d20+4 18 2d4+3 7. Hits for 7 fire damage.

Its only got a few HP left but I'll let someone deal the killing blow. Remember if you enter or leave the ring of fire you get to do that Dex save or burn. After it dies initiative order is over, you can handle resting and recovery however you want, then head out in a direction to explore.

Initiative
:rolldice: Krag Hack
:rolldice: July Shieldheart (36/45)
:rolldice: Sandy Roads (25/38 AC13)
:rolldice: Montgomery Williams 27/42 AC14
:rolldice: Smash Stonefist (19/45HP AC16)
Elemental (5/22, AC13, resist nonmagical, immune to fire/disease/hunger/poison/sleep/suffocation/thirst/paralyze/petrify/polymorph haha no I'm not joking)

ritorix fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 9, 2014

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
July Shieldheart:

July tries to get into a better position to slay the beast. Feeling that, for now, it remains out of reach of Chauntea's divine judgement, she throws another javelin.

Move to AT23; throw javelin at remaining elemental.
to hit fire elemental: 1d20+5 16
Javelin damage + Call to battle bonus: 1d6+3+1d4 6 Resisted down to 3, leaves him with 2/22 HP.

"Hey Smash! Once it's dead, could you recover that javelin for me, please?"

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

KRAG CAST SACRED FLAME.

http://orokos.com/roll/190864 = Dex save or take 8 damage

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Looks like it fails! dex save dc??: 1d20+3 11. It explodes.

Where to?

Status
Krag Hack
July Shieldheart (36/45)
Sandy Roads (25/38 AC13)
Montgomery Williams (27/42 AC14)
Smash Stonefist (19/45HP AC16)

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

I'll cast some healing on Smash Stonefist and then yell at people to go north

http://orokos.com/roll/190920 = Healed him for 23 hp

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
July Shieldheart:

Pleased to have survived this place's fiery baptism, July retrieves her javelins, heads to AT24 and looks East.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Sandy Roads

Shaken up a bit after being nearly killed, Sandy needs a minute to regain his thoughts. Seeing July looking down the east path, Sandy goes to AN 14 and peaks around the corner carefully.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Montgomery Williams
HP: 42/42 Spells: 2/3

Montgomery takes a moment to sing a quick song to heal his own wounds. Then follows north, though he had intended for the group to go southeast. He is careful to avoid the fire and any magma.

Cure Wounds 2d8+2 15

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I'm going to speed things up a bit so we aren't just poking around the cave for a week. Any effects that last an hour or more are still going, other stuff has expired.

Heading north turns out to be a dead-end, and after a bit more exploring you head south, winding your way through flaming caverns and avoiding the flaming bits. Within the hour you come upon a vast chamber.

At the center of a curving cavern, an orb the size of a human
fist
hangs from a thick black chain. The orb looks like molten
lava
, and the chain pulses with volcanic light. A roiling mass
of fire swirls around the chain
, sending burning tendrils whipping
through the air.

Surrounding the elemental chain are a pair of fire elementals, but these are much larger than the ones you faced earlier.

Fire elemental init: 1d20+2 13.

Roll init, if you beat a 13 take your turn right now!

Status
:rolldice: Krag Hack (48/51, AC18, protection from fire, magic weapon)
:rolldice: July Shieldheart (36/45)
:rolldice: Sandy Roads (25/38 AC13)
:rolldice: Montgomery Williams (42/42 AC14)
:rolldice: Smash Stonefist (42/45HP AC16)
13: Fire Elemental (52/52HP, AC12, resist nonmagical weapons, immune to lots of poo poo)

The fire chain thing is in square CC25.

Big Picture

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KRAG HACK

INITIATIVE:
http://orokos.com/roll/191279 = 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
July Shieldheart:

While walking south with her companions, July casts Cure Wounds on herself.
Cure Wounds (Level 1): 2d8+2 17 +3 Disciple of Life healing bonus, back to 5645/45HP.

Turning the corner with the others, July sees the large beasts ahead.

Initiative: 1d20-1 15
Preparing for the upcoming fight, July casts Bless on the entire party. (1st level, 10 minutes, +d4 to everyone's Attack Rolls and Saving Throws)

• Locked thread