Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone had any luck online with high acceleration set ups? I had a pretty solid win record in MK7/Wii with them but I started playing online today and I've only won maybe 20-30% of my races. I guess I should try out something more speed focused but Toad in the buggybud is adorable and I never want to change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Heavy racers are always the pro setup. If you're running light, you're kinda playing on easy. It makes it easier to recover from mistakes, but you won't be able to beat a heavy racer who didn't make mistakes in the first place. Items mix things up, but still.

I've found that racing pretty well balanced stats all around is generally best, but you want to favor top speed some over acceleration if you're getting good at the game.

I think I'm a pretty good driver, the reason I've always liked high acceleration is I can get going again faster if I get hit by a blue shell. (And I like using Toad) But yeah I'm finding here that if I'm not the one that gets out in front early on I can't catch up to someone good playing as Morton or Rosalina or whatever. Acceleration always worked out great for me online in the other games but maybe it's time to switch it up.

I guess I always figured heavy racers were better suited for time trials since you don't have to worry about items. The handling isn't the issue, I just hate how slow they are after you get hit.

Yeah I guess I'll try out some different combinations and see if I can find a balance that I like.
vvv

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 2, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RumbleFish posted:

Am I the only one who's been kind of struggling with the bikes? I went right for them at first, since I used them exclusively in MKWii and MK7, but they all feel pretty slippery. Should I be using a specific tire with them or something? It just feels like drifting with bikes has a much higher difficulty curve than the karts, and I haven't quite gotten it down yet.

Yeah the tighter turning on certain bikes kinda threw me off at first but I've started to prefer them on a couple of courses. Like for example if you take the upper route at the end of Bone Dry Dunes, it seems way easier to make that turn on a bike.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Everything about this is hilarious

Also, there are 14 unlockable characters, which means that to unlock them all you only have to finish 14 cups, right? I guess I wasted my time doing all of 50cc. I could have just done 100 and 150 and been fine. Boo.

Should I skip right to 150 or what?

50cc is totally skippable in this one. Even if you're trying to get 3 star rankings in all cups you don't need to play it because getting 3 stars in the higher difficulties automatically gives you the 3 stars for the lower ones.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

It's been mentioned before but N64 Rainbow Road is way too short. Part of the appeal of the original was that it was long as poo poo. When playing with friends the standings would change a dozen times over the course of the track. In fact, one of the few criticisms I have of 8 is the lack of any really lengthy tracks. I understand that it might annoy people playing online that just want a quick match but it would be cool if something like that could be added as dlc.

I don't think I would call it part of the appeal of the original, everyone I played with always just complained about how long it took

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Dreyvas posted:

I got a two-star ranking on one of the mirror mode cups and it didn't apply to 150cc. Does this only work for 150cc > 100 and 50?

Yeah Mirror is it's own thing. You basically only need to get 3 stars in 150cc and Mirror.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So are people settling on Vehicle/Wheel/Glider combos they like?

I'm still testing things out, but I reckon the most important thing is to get the mythical 3.75 acceleration and work from there. Assuming this is like MK7 that is.

I like the Buggybud + Azure Rollers which almost maxes out acceleration but gives you like no speed. The best option for pure speed seems to be Circuit Special + Cyber Slick if time trials are anything to go by though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That one I kinda just blew off as "huh that's weird."

Then it kept happening in every race after it as the aforementioned blue shells going after me when I wasn't even in first.

The blue shell doesn't go after people when they've finished the race, so you could get hit by it in 2nd place if the guy in 1st has won already. It's only happened to me once but I came like 7th because of it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

greatn posted:

Last night I saw a lame attempt to drum up controversy on kotaku about "flame hopping" in which you keep speed from boosts longer by hopping. They were concern trolling saying "does this exploit make the game unfair?"

Now is it just me or has this been a mechanic in every Mario Kart where you can hop since the first one? I know I've always been hopping out of boosts regardless. Plus it isn't like snaking or anything, its completely easy to do and only gives you a minor boost. You literally just mash the jump button coming out of a boost and correct your steering mid air as much as you can.

I've messed around in time trials a little and it can make a pretty huge difference in that environment at least. Like go watch one of the top 10 ghosts on a time trial and you'll see what I mean. (Or even try it out while racing one of your own ghosts because you'll probably be able to shave a few seconds off each lap once you get the hang of it)

I don't really know what to think of it yet. I haven't been using it outside of time trials and I've been doing fine online. Maybe a couple of months from now everyone good will be doing it and it'll be hard to win without it? At least it's not that hard to pull off compared to something like snaking I guess.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oswald ownenstein posted:

But knowing Nintendo we'll get the loving wii fit trainer as a racer.

This would be a pretty great addition if she didn't drive and just sprinted through the course

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Hammer Bros are one of my favourite enemies from the Mario series and I would love to see them make it into this game. I would also like to see King Boo make a return because he looked really cute on bikes in MKWii.

If they bring back King Boo it should be the Luigi's Mansion 2 version

I wish there were more light characters that aren't babies though

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 4, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Crusher posted:

I would hope so. Honestly they could have just let everyone pick any course and prevent the very last course played from being selected.

I like the new format better because in MKWii/7 everyone just voted for Rainbow Road

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So that whole "Fire Hopping is gonna ruin Mario Kart" article Kotaku posted is funny cause from what I've seen it makes you actively worse against other human players. You can't dodge anything and if you're bumped while doing it your speed tanks and you usually get sent off the track since you have to be right on the edge of the track for it to make any difference. I've seen so many people trying to do it in Regional matches and I have yet to see anyone in come in first using it while everyone who tries finishes in the last four places

I guess if it's one of those races where you get a good lead out in front I could see it being useful but yeah most of the time races are probably too chaotic

Also I think it's really only useful with heavy guys with lots of speed. I use Toad with almost maxed out acceleration and you don't seem to get much of a boost out of it with him. (Compared to the boost I get with Bowser in time trials at least)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Crusher posted:

And two, I was racing against someone named Lia on Royal Raceway and, despite me clearly coming in first (The replay shows me crossing the finish line a good few seconds before her on both of our viewpoints) it said she was first. There was no lag to speak of and it's honestly the first time I've seen this happen. I felt totally jipped <:mad:>

If this was in the goon tournament thing, are you sure it wasn't just the second results screen?

First it shows the order of people in the race, then it shows you the people ranked by their tournament points. You might've just skipped past the first set of results by mistake. I've done it before and it threw me off until I realised what was happening.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Oh ok then, that kinda sucks.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think they wanted to scale down the HUD so you can see more of the super pretty courses but I guess they could've put that stuff on the gamepad screen at least

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

So I'm finding that if I win a race, its usually because I get in first or near it right at the start and then never fall behind. If I fall to lower places, regardless of why, I find it nearly impossible to get back to the head of the pack. There's so many more players back there so there's so much more poo poo that hits you. Getting mushroom boosts helps but its not enough to get to the front and before long a red shell hits me and its back to square 1. I can never catch up.

Yeah I'm having pretty much the same experience online. Yesterday I won like 7 races in a row because I was starting out in front and was able to build up a lead early on. Then today I played like 8 races and only won twice because I kept getting caught up in the lower ranks where things are super chaotic.

But I actually think 1st place is a little more vulnerable in this one than in MK7 at least. Only being able to hold one item and the danger of getting nothing but coins from item boxes means red shells are actually a threat now. At least blue shells aren't as common I guess

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder if it's possible for them to improve MKTV at all through patches? I wish you had more control over the editing, it'd make it a lot easier to share cool stuff

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Those bikes with the crazy drifting are really good on that one turn.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

He's an entrepreneur that build video game systems or something in the WarioWare games

At this point he probably has a more detailed backstory than Mario

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

toad stares into the cold face of death itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32SR_PkZTco

I like the replays with Toad/Toadette because they've always got that dumb smile on their faces at all times

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

what the gently caress is that orange thing

It's a dinosaur thing you ride in 3D World called Plessie

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

New MK8 character leaked by Sakurai??

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Shatwag posted:

I was playing my sister the other day and while she is a respectable driver, she's never competitive because I play video games way to much. So I was trying to figure out the absolute shittiest player and vehicle combination to make it a bit more fun but I still kept smoking her. Anyone got a recommendation?

I'm not sure what the best worst combination would be but you could try using motion controls as a handicap.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I tried doing 150cc with the baby characters today, and even maxing out my speed as much as possible I still ended up losing pretty much every race. It's not even like I'm bad at Mario Kart, either. I'm not really sure if there's any tricks I'm missing, I drift just fine and I'm hitting tricks on all the ramps, and as long as I take a lead early I can even get first sometimes, but the second I get hit by an item it seems impossible for me to catch up to the first place guy.

If you're playing as a light character go for acceleration instead. There are I think 2 karts and 1 bike which pretty much let you max it out completely if you're using the tiny roller wheels. I use Toad and I don't have any problems with 150cc

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

xxEightxx posted:

So has anyone cracked the 1-3 star thing? It has nothing to do with winning the cup, since I've won cups and ended with one star.

It's based on how many points you got. 54 is one, 57 is two and 60 is three stars. (I think)

It's kinda pointless since you don't get anything for all the 3 star ranks but I guess that makes sense since it's so much easier in this one.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Dolphin Shoals owns and I don't really understand the complaining about the final turn

The only track I dislike is the Double Dash desert one just because it's kind of boring. The haunted mansion level in the Flower Cup is kinda forgettable too

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I didn't know people disliked SNES Rainbow Road but it's my favourite and I'm glad it's back. I think Mute City is the best track in the DLC though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

enojy posted:

That's what's up

I also like that every race has at least 5 Links

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe if enough people pick Sunshine Airport, Nintendo will make a sequel to Super Mario Sunshine

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's just such a weird complaint considering how poorly basically every other game in existence handles DLC

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Not as hard as Link does.

Yeah but they could always announce Kirby and Metroid DLC for November 2015 and May 2016 or something so that people are ready for Nintendo Kart on the new 4 Dual Screen

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They're all pretty good tbh

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think the item related thing screwing me out of 1st place most often is getting coins in first while second gets a red shell

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

pokeyman posted:

I don't get the coin-in-a-box hatred. What makes first place inherently deserving of a useful item?

Sometimes you get them in like 8th when the people around you are getting gold mushrooms or triple red shells, or you get like four coin boxes in a row in 1st and end up losing the race because you couldn't defend yourself. Like there are so many times near the end of a close race where it's just going to come down to whether or not you get a banana/green shell at the final item box.

I don't really get mad at items in Mario Kart since everyone gets screwed by them but coins are kinda dumb. I wonder if things would be better if you could still hold 2 items like in MK7

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

So now that the DLC has been out for a while can we please agree that Excitebike Arena online is kinda terrible

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I play regional and I usually get matched up with a lot of people

Maybe it's a Europe thing

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's a guy on my friends list who reached 25,000 a couple of days ago and he's not cheating or anything. 69k is a lot though, I dunno

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You can win in pretty much anything, it's more about being good at the game with a little luck when it comes to items

A lot of the high ranked people online seem to like Morton/Bowser with top speed stuff but I use Toad with acceleration almost maxed out and win pretty consistently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They toned down the requirements a lot for getting three stars (You just need to win every race in a cup) so pretty much everyone would have at least one star and it'd be kinda pointless

• Locked thread