Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Feinne posted:

Yeah, Archives have been down for a while I think. No idea when they might be back.
Somewhat belatedly, and with apologies for its off-topicness: is there a where I can find out info like this (forum status, software updates, that sort of thing?) I went looking for a forum about the forums, but didn't see it.

Failing that, could you let folks know when the Mk.2 LP is available, either because the archives are back up or because it gets on LPArchive.org? I'm just going to be skimming this thread until I can get caught up with the 'rich tapestry of continuity'. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

FredMSloniker posted:

Somewhat belatedly, and with apologies for its off-topicness: is there a where I can find out info like this (forum status, software updates, that sort of thing?) I went looking for a forum about the forums, but didn't see it.

Failing that, could you let folks know when the Mk.2 LP is available, either because the archives are back up or because it gets on LPArchive.org? I'm just going to be skimming this thread until I can get caught up with the 'rich tapestry of continuity'. :v:

Yeah, I'll let you know. It won't be available on the LP archive until archives themselves are back up though, because that's where it'd have to come from.

I've started the update, should probably be able to get it together for tomorrow. It's got some great lines and Neptune does a thing I think we all wish every protagonist would do more often.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

QCS is what you're looking for. There's a thread about this in there, though it's not very informative.

Hartseeker
May 24, 2009

Strap one on, it's time to jam!

Feinne posted:

I’m Cyberconnect2!
Cyberwhat2? Is that an online name? It’s too long, so I’m gonna call you Cybercon!

:staredog: As insane as I've heard these games are, I never would have expected them to have a Tail Concerto/Solatorobo parody character. Almost makes me want to play this myself. But not quite.

(For those not familiar with obscure Kemono Mecha RPGs, Cybercon's design is heavily based off of Red Savarin, a character from that particular "series".)

Fake Edit: Well look what the nano-machine powered psychic kitty cat dragged in!

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.

Feinne posted:

It's got some great lines and Neptune does a thing I think we all wish every protagonist would do more often.

Isn't this the game where the party crushes one of the bosses so hard that the boss suffers PTSD and can't deal with them from that point on?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Aleator posted:

Isn't this the game where the party crushes one of the bosses so hard that the boss suffers PTSD and can't deal with them from that point on?

I think we already did that to Underling AKA Linda last game. Unless there's an alternate version of her in this game who gets it even worse.

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.

HGH posted:

I think we already did that to Underling AKA Linda last game. Unless there's an alternate version of her in this game who gets it even worse.

I think you're right. Too bad archives are broken or else I would go back and check.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Underling doesn't so much get PTSD as she loses heart when she realizes the people whose side she's on don't give two fucks about her.

I won't confirm or deny that we crush a boss so hard they are broken as a person afterward but that sure does sound like something that might happen in a Neptune game doesn't it?

The update's coming along nicely, I'll definitely have it done today.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Episode 5: The Plight of a Little Girl

Last time we picked up some DLC characters. Now we’ll get back to the plot. If you’ll recall, we were going to do some work. We had to kill some slimes out in a dungeon, which I’ve thoughtfully done offscreen because combat against trivial enemies before we’ve got most of the game mechanics isn’t really that interesting.

And the same to you.
The back of my mind is saying that this isn’t really CPU-worthy work. Odd jobs, increasing shares…
Most ordinary folks still take on Quests to make money.
I’m not really sure how to do any other kind of work…
That’s okay. You’re still new to this whole CPU thing.
Hehehe. You’re so reassuring.
More like, if you don’t work your butt off, your country’s people will be in deep trouble.
Aww, it’s just another lecture…
Excuse me, ladies.
What?
Is a CPU…something you become? Isn’t it like, “Hey, I’m born and hey also I’m a CPU”?
What? You don’t even know –that-? Uh, to be honest, I thought I was going to become the CPU.
You’ll see. Someday, I’ll become the CPU of my own nation and this place won’t even compare to it!
Hooray! Go for it, Noire!
…You should at least say that you won’t lose to your greatest rival, or it’s not worth it.
Which reminds me… We haven’t seen –her- today.
She was going to do some shopping.

Now we’re going to get an explanation of how becoming a CPU works in this other world.

So like, you become a CPU? It can’t be that easy. There’s gotta be more to it!
It’s not easy to become one, jeez. Seriously, what’s wrong with you? How are you –this- stupid?
Stupid isn’t part of my equation. This is different from what I know. We were all born CPUs!
You were born that way? Woooow, that’s so neat.
You really need to stop being so gullible.
Man, this is so crazy. It’s like I was literally dropped into a different world.
I’m interested, though. How do you become a CPU? Does something good happen when you do?
I can’t believe you’re this ignorant. It’s actually kind of pathetic.
Whatever. It’s annoying, but I’ll explain it to you.
Yay! I’m not pumped about how you phrased all that stuff, but please tell me!
First, you need a CPU Memory found inside of a Memory Core.
Oh, like a Class Change thingy! Kinda boring names, though. Are they rare, at least?
More rare than rare item drops from rarely-spawning monsters.
Only a few spawn points exist, and these produce CPU Memories just once every few centuries.
Centuries? Pretty balls for a respawn time. Only MMO shut-ins with no lives could get one!
The interval is still randomized, so it’s not like you can set a clock for the next one’s arrival.
If you really want one, you do whatever it takes to get it. But competition is kind of light.

We’ll also get a bit of the story of how Plutia became a CPU, though not much since Noire seems not to want to talk about that.

I see. So you were basically camping by the CPU Memory?
Man, I bet it was like some crazy-epic PvP blood-soaked swashbuckling fantasy melee!
It was nothing like that. I just said there aren’t a lot of people who want one.
I stumbled upon mine when I went on a lovely picnic.
Aw, that easily? Lame. I don’t get it yet. Keep on with the explainings.
Um, well, the weather was really nice that day and I decided to open up my basket by the river…
Oooh, stop right there! Don’t remind me of that day!
The sheer terror I felt the first time Plutia activated HDD…
The see-through terror, huh?
Ugh, forget it. Let’s get back on topic.
You need that item to become a CPU, but that doesn’t mean anyone with it can become a CPU.
You need certain qualifications from birth. So if someone lacking those tries to use it…
Yeah, yeah? If they try to use it…?
I mean, it’s an old fairy tale, but I was told that they would turn into a nasty monster.
Creepalicious!
But what gives? Like nobody gets the item, and if they suck or whatever, they’re monsterfied?
That’s a pretty big risk! You had some brave guts to wanna be a CPU, Plutie!

I said not to remind me!
Um, anyway, it –is- risky, but I think there are some pretty big perks if you go through with it.
First of all, as a CPU, you can go and found your own nation.
Huh? So the CPUs make the nations? Not the other way around?
Oh, I know what you mean… Did the chicken or the egg hatch first, right?
Yeah, that’s exactly how it goes! But anyway, whichever is first, it’s the same in the end, right?
Not to interrupt your philosophical debate, but I’m going to keep talking.
Second, you gain divine powers. And with those powers, you protect and guide humanity.
If you do a good job, people will have more faith in you and that increases your powers further.
See, that jives with what I know about CPUs.
For the longest time, there was only one CPU in existence and ruled the only nation around.
It’s fine for those who believe in her, but many disagree with and have no faith in this CPU.
Those who chose to live beyond her nation’s borders have had to eke out a really rough life.
That’s why I want to become a CPU and give those people a new nation for them to believe in!
That’s the type of motivation Miss Perfect Student Noire would have.
You’re sooo cool, Noire…
Ugh, even with all that at stake, Plutia beat me to it, and she didn’t even want to be a CPU!
Boo-hoo. I’ve already apologized for that about a gajillion times.

It seems like becoming a CPU here is a huge hassle, which means Neptune probably won’t give enough of a gently caress to do it. That is, unless there’s some really good reason to go through with putting forth an actual effort.

But if that’s how it is here, I guess I don’t need to be a CPU.
Kind of frustrating that I can’t change forms, but it won’t cause me –that- much trouble.
Besides, if I’m a CPU, it means that I gotta do more work. I’m tired of all the slave labor.
I must hurry and become a CPU. Seeing Plutia stay young as I turn into an old hag will kill me.
Aww, don’t say “hag.” Even when you’re old and wrinkly, you’ll still be cute, Noire.
Noire: Old Spinster Edition… Hahaha! I’d pay to see that!
But seriously, I doubt you’ll be cute. You’ll probably wear floral muumuus and lecture little kids.
…?
Hey! Stop the presses!
Wh-What!? Don’t shout!
Noire, you’re gonna become an old spinster? Gray hair, cats, the whole shebang? Why?
What do you mean why? That’s how the concept of time works. What do you think I am?
N-No, but I mean, Plutie will always look like that.
I’m a CPU now, so I’m always going to look like this…
Uh-oh, hold up. So unless I become a CPU here, I’m gonna get old and stuff too, right?
…Yes, that is still how the concept of time works.

N-Nope, this won’t do at all! I wanna stay young and adorable!
But it’s not that I don’t believe I would have a real sexy adult bod or anything. I totally would!
But I get all that sexiness when I transform, and we only really need one old hag in the party.
I have no idea what you’re talking about. Listening to you is what kills kitten.
That settles it! I’m gonna become a CPU! Um, again!
For the approximate 240 million members of the Nep-Nep fan club, I vow to keep my current figure!
Oh, fun. Now you’re going to become a CPU, too…
If it were that easy, I’d already be one. You’ve no idea how hard –some- of us are working.
So basically, if we find that whatever-you-said, I get dibs. Noire, you get the next one!
Excuse me? Where do you get off deciding that?
Dude! Come on! Main characters always get priority!
I mean, even if you do become a CPU, you won’t be super-duper popular. Thus, Nep-Nep gets dibs.
Wh-Whatever! I know I’ll be way more popular than you, so there!
Hehehe. I hope all three of us get to become CPUs…

We get a new quest we have to do real quick back in the same dungeon.

After which we move on to a new topic.

What? As quiet as ever, I hear.
Yikes, that’s some sharp sarcasm. But more importantly…
Check out this Quest! It’s close to Lowee’s border!
Uh-huh. And?
Lowee, I tells ya! Lowee! That means Blanc!
Buh-lawn?
Blanc… Well, I guess I recall Lowee’s CPU going by that name…
Just as I detectively deduced! Blanc is Lowee’s CPU. Yesiree!
You look soooo happy about that, Neppy…!
Well yeah, she’s my buddy! But then again, she might’ve been replaced by a clone, too…
Wow, so you’re also friends with Lowee’s CPU…
Enough with the clone nonsense. And Plutia, I know that I told you to stop being so gullible.
Well, why don’t we go say hi? Noire’s been a huge downer, so maybe Blanc will be better!
Excuse me? Go and “say hi”? Hold it right there, missy.
Whatever, Mom! You can’t tell me what to do!
Like hell I’m your mother. I’m politely stopping you.
If someone like you waltzed into Lowee’s territory, who knows what awful things would happen to you.

Now for a reference to everyone’s “favorite” CG art from mk2.

Cords and tentacles…?
Don’t teach her those icky things! Ignore her, Plutia! Wait, “more”? What’s wrong with you?
Dang, that was a lot of investigative deduction. Nice going, Detective Noire!
I really don’t enjoy your praise. I just have to keep you on track or you might, like eat paint.
Painting aside, why do you think bad stuff would go down if we went to Lowee?
Um, well, Lowee is veeeeery mysterious and isolated… We’re told not to approach it.
It’s very self-contained and it was by itself for a long time. Of course they’re strict.
It’s difficult enough just to leave that place. I can’t imagine the red tape required to get in.
But I’ve never heard of any crimes or scandals happening there. Once you get in, maybe it’s peaceful.
Uh-huh. So basically, the Lowee I know and this place are different.
Maybe Blanc is really bad. Or she’s more violent and flips out and kills people all the time.
I’m personally against the policy where you don’t care about others so long as –your- land is safe.
Yes… I must make my own nation as soon as I possibly can…
Do your best, Noire…
Same goes for you, jeez. You actually have a nation to run, if you’d forgotten.
Oopsies. She’s scolding me…
That’s how it is up there, so I don’t think we can just slip past border patrol or something.

Unsavory? Hehehe. This sounds pretty juicy. Feed me some of those rumors!
…It’s nothing like that. Besides, they’re just rumors, so who knows how much is true?
In a nutshell, rumors say that Lowee and the Seven Sages are colluding behind the scenes.
Oh, that. I think you mentioned them before…

Speaking of the Seven Sages, here they are. Though we won’t be introduced to them here, some of them are pretty obvious.

Video Link- “The Seven Sages”

Watch

Big Voice: Hey! We can’t hear you at all. Can’t you speak a bit louder!?
Eep! I’m so, so, so sorry. * deep inhale *
I do declare, sirs and madams, that this meeting of the Seven Sages will now commence!
Female Voice: Don’t talk like a fool.
Rat Voice: She just stutters otherwise. If she thinks that kind of speech is cute at her age…yikes.
A-At –my- age? Oh, dear… I know I’m not exactly the youngest thing around, but…
Sneaky Voice: Okay, enough, cutie pies. If you tease her about it too much, it’s just cruel.
Rude Voice: Can’t we hurry this meeting up? I’m a very busy man with a very busy schedule to keep.
Female Voice: Who even called this meeting? I traveled a long way, so if this is stupid, someone will die.
U-Um, the one who called today’s meeting was m-me.
Big Voice: Get outta town! You!?
Eek! I’m sorry about that. It was impudent of me to call you all here…
Rude Voice: Your attitude will never fly in the corporate world, since you take forever to get to the point.
Sneaky Voice: Still, having Rei give us a call is rare. Something big must have happened.
Y-Yes, something has.
I can’t confirm the info and I haven’t done a thorough check, but the credibility is still…
Female Voice: Enough procedural nonsense. Out with it.

That she knows about this pretty much confirms she’s the one Croire’s been talking with in those earlier scenes.

Female Voice: What? Are you certain of this?
R-Rather, had appeared. Or may have appeared, it seems. Or…so it feels…
Big Voice: Speak with certainty! Speak with unbridled passion!
Appeared! A new CPU appeared in Planeptune!
Rude Voice: I can’t be asked to believe it just yet, but if true, this is a big deal, indeed.
Female Voice: Planeptune, huh…? What do you make of this?
Big Voice: That backwater little place gets two CPUs!? I could never believe such stupid gossip!
S-Say what you’d like, but it’s completely true! …Maybe.
Rat Voice: So who’s your informant? How’d you get this info?
Th-That’s…well…
Sneaky Voice: Nobody in my network has fed me anything like that.
I hate to say it, but I highly doubt that little Rei here could get information before me.
Well, um, that is to say… Due to some profound circumstances…
Female Voice: I will only warn you once. If you attempt to deceive me, you had better be prepared to die.
Th-There’s no way I’d ever try to deceive you! It’s… It’s just not possible!
Sneaky Voice: Still, it needs verification. It’s quite the shocker, if true. A shock it got by me, that is.
O-Oh. Um, I’m sorry.

Rude Voice: For these kinds of blue-collar situations, I think we all know who would be appropriate.
Speaking of lesser beings, that loud-mouthed brat isn’t with us today.
Female Voice: It’s a welcome change of pace. Her shrieking pops my eardrums.
A-Actually, I let her know before we had this meeting…
Then she ran off without hearing the rest of my report…
Big Voice: Hah! Impatient little twerp!
Sneaky Voice: Either way, it simplifies matters. We’ll just wait for her to get back and then discuss further.
Female Voice: So we wait for now, huh? I hope it isn’t a waste of time.
Rude Voice: And here I wanted to hurry back to the office and work more…
Big Voice: Oh, hey! I’m starved! When do the caterers get here!?
Rat Voice: Yeah. It’s only polite for the one who called the meeting to provide the attendees with food.
H-Huh? B-But whenever any of you called one, there wasn’t even a pitcher of water…
Big Voice: You wanna way that again!? DO you have some kind of anti-hospitality disease!?
N-Not at all! I’ll prepare something right away!

Meanwhile, Noire has been futilely trying to explain, well, anything to Neptune and Plutia.

Video Link- “Abnes”

Watch

…Were you really listening? Are you sure you understand?
Why so skeptical? I definitely said “oh, I see.”
Okay, then paraphrase what I just went over with you.
Ooh, here comes a new challenger! I’ll gladly face you, player two!
Those seven whatevers don’t like CPUs ruling the nations and whine a lot and say bad stuff, right?
So far, so good.
Therefore, I conclude that those folks are the bad guys. Ta-da! Flawless victory!
You cut out the whole second half! It’s not that simple. I –knew- you weren’t listening to me.
Aww, okay, you got me.
Huh? Neppy gave the wrong answer?
…Don’t tell me you weren’t aware of this, either.
Um, that one girl who goes around saying mean things is one of them, right? I don’t like her…
And you clearly only get about half of the situation, too. Fine. I’ll explain again.
I might even talk longer this time, so make a sandwich and listen.
Aw, really? Can’t we like, mash through the boring stuff with the X button?
I’m not very good at mashing. I prefer the skip function, so let’s press the square button!

Okay…
Okay. The Seven Sages are a mysterious group consisting of seven key members.
Their platform advocates proper laws and claims that CPUs aren’t needed to rule a nation.
Of course, because they believe that, they’re against the very existence of CPUs.
Ever since Plutia created Planeptune, they’ve caused trouble many times.
Their operations are said to have started 10 years ago. Any more info is vague and pretty sparse.
As for the Sages themselves, only one is known to appear in public.
It’s even rumored they’re involved in criminal activities behind the scenes, but there’s no proof.
And that thing I said about them having some connection to Lowee? Yeah, that’s just another rumor.
But apparently, a good number of people agree with their line of thought.
So it’s not 100 percent certain whether they’re truly evil or not.
So? That was a pretty amazing summary. Did you get all that?
Uh…
Hmm…
Ugh, you’re both a waste of carbon. Whatever. I suddenly feel exhausted.
Gah! Plutie, didja hear that!? Noire just gave up on us!
Aw, don’t give up on us…
You two are so noisy. Just look up the stupid Nepedia entry later.
Noire, you’re such an ice queen. And your explanations are so roundabout and hard to understand.
That’s a fact.
It’s easier on our noggins to call them the bad guys. The uh, um… the Seven Nutmegs.
The Seven Nutmegs are evil!
Seven –Sages-! Jeez, how could you forget that name so fast!?

You just need to watch the video for the absolutely ridiculous entry animation for this character.

I found you!
Whoa! Who’s this broad? Plutie, we have a visitor.
And speak of the tiny devil.
It’s that meanie…!
Uh-huh. So you’re the one. Hmm. I see. Hmmmmm.
Wh-What’s with that look? I feel like you’re undressing me with your eyeballs, ew…!
Wait, they’re targeting Neptune? In that case, sorry, but I don’t feel like getting in their way.
Oh, me too. Sorry, Neppy…
What!? You two are gonna leave my party? C’mon, don’t do that!
I guess you could say she’s a teen, but her body isn’t developed, so…little girl it is!
Inconceivable! A girl smaller than me just called me a little girl!?
And to think they would allow such a young and naïve little girl to be a CPU!
It’s unjust! It’s brutish! It violates international law! I’ll never forgive Planeptune!
Yikes. Now she’s got rabies or something.
Ugh, lame! Why do I gotta sit and nod while a little girl makes fun of me? I’ve never seen her before!
Did you just call me a little girl!? Y-Y-You’re the little girl, you little girl!
If that’s your killer comeback, you’re definitely a little girl. Plus, you said it to me first.
And yet your comebacks are just as childish! I’ll not stand for this, you brutish little wench!
Oh, you wanna challenge me to a duel? I won’t lose in a cat fight!

So yeah, in normal games we’d pretty much be forced to tolerate some stupid little girl gimmick character mouthing off and then they’d leave. Here in Victory Neptune just punched her in the goddamn mouth.

Hehe. You’re no match for me. You need about 100 years to improve those little girl insults!
Waah! So you say, but all you do is call me “little girl”!
Ooh, I think Neppy is winning.
More like her opponent is embarrassingly weak.
Instead of playing along, she just smacked her in the mouth. No way I could’ve done that…
I…I can’t believe it! You’re so cruel to a little girl. That’s illegal! I won’t forget this!
You just admitted to being a little girl. I guess I win.
Ack! N-No, that was just…!
Bwahaha! I knew you were just a little baby girly girl! I win, I win, I am the coolest!
W-W-Waaaaaaah!
…Neppy, that might’ve been a bit too much gloating.
She’s so immature, celebrating her victory over a child like that.
Are you two gonna fight me, too? You abandoned me, so I had to fight back. I had no choice!
Now, now, don’t cry. Be a good little girl.
Jeez, looks like Neptune had her claws out. There’s a blood smear…poor little thing…
Huh? Why do I feel ostrichcized?
D-Don’t touch me! I won’t be cared for by my enemies!
Stage Direction: Smack!
Ouchies…
Don’t get an attitude. We’re just trying to help.

You’re more like a caged animal, not a CPU! You are a terrible role model for this little girl!
You started it!
But I’m not a little girl…
You came here, made a big fuss over nothing, and then tossed around these false accusations.
Shut up! I’m on a mission to protect every single child in the whole wide world!
That means I am in the right. Anyone who opposes me is a big pedophile and a gross fetishist!
Um, worst logic ever.
More importantly, that woman’s information was correct… To think you can stand up to me!
But weren’t you the one who started bawling…?
It was a flawless victory for Neppy…
Shut up, I said!
Well, I saw all that I needed to. You’re the new CPU here, right?
Ooh! Has my awesome reputation reached even this little girl who I’ve never seen before!?
I’m flattered, but if I get too famous, my private life will… Too much charisma is a curse!
She’s not the CPU.
What?

But she’s right… You can’t even transform…
Wh-What?
Aww, not you too, Plutie… You shouldn’t crush a poor little girl’s dreams like that…
You’re not the CPU…? Then how did I lose!?
Because you’re weak.
Maybe because you’re weak…
Less bark and bite than a dogoo.

Y-Y-Y-You! What is your name!?
You didn’t catch it? Neptune.
Neptune… I won’t forget that name!
Oh, hang on, kid. I think it’s rude to adults when you demand a name without giving your own.
Hmph. Fine. I’ll only tell you once, so listen good.
I am the Seven Sages’ idol and advertising executive! You may call me…Abnes!

The Seven Sages all get an intro like this, because why not.

Introductory graphic text!? What the heck, developers!? I didn’t get one when I appeared!
I can’t wait to talk all about this at the next Seven Sages meeting!
If we seriously tried, we could take this nation over in a second. Prepare yourselves!
And she ran away. It’s so not fair that she gets a cool logo. She’s just some weak kid…
But seriously, the Seven Sages accepted someone that weak? Maybe they’re all pushovers.
Well, if you assume they’re all like that girl, sure. But we don’t know anything about the others.
It’s so good you’re here, Neppy. Every other time she comes, that girl teases me over and over…
Sometimes idiots are useful because they don’t understand insults. Every tool has its use.
Hehehe, it was nothing… Wait, was that even a compliment, Noire?
Sure, why not! We’ll depend on you when she shows up to get her revenge.
Please protect us, Neppy.
U-Um, okay… It’s nice to be relied on, but I feel like I’m getting taken advantage of…

We pick up yet another mandatory quest back at the same dungeon. Since this one is a Find, we actually could have already had what we needed.

Now, we’ve actually got another little girl to meet.

I’m pretty tired, too…
Gosh, you two are pathetic. We didn’t even do much walking.
Aw, it was a lot to me… You’ve got way too much energy, Noire…
I concur! I dunno about Plutie, but my perfect frame isn’t made for hard labor.
Don’t make such weird excuses! Plutia is the CPU, but you’re just a chubby moocher!
You’re both in positions where you ought to work ten times harder than me!
Yikes, that’s harsh! You’re so strict, Noire! I don’t even think Histy has been that hard on me!
Only people who are pushed to work hard can get their lives in order!
Hey, I’ve been wondering… Who’s this Histy person you mention every now and then?
Yeah, I’m kind of curious, too. Maybe she’s your trainer?
Heck no! I was born housetrained. Instead of a trainer, she’s more like a coach. Make sense?
Ooh, you’re so good with synonyms, Neppy…
It doesn’t matter what term you use. Who is she?
Hmm, how do I explain it…?
Histy is the Oracle of my nation. She floats on a book and is real smart, but kinda spacey…
And she’s the type of person who always gets mad and tells me to work more. Is she a “person”…?

You understand after that? I really can’t believe how smart you are, Noire…!
Whoa, really? I’m more surprised that you –didn’t- get it, Plutie! See? This is my shocked face.
I was lying. I don’t get it. Still, there’s something like what you described here, too.
Something that floats and is smart but also kind of out of it…and yells about work.
Hmm? Oh, that’s right. It sounds like Histoire!
That’s the one! I’m glad you finally understand… Wait! You said Histoire, right!?
Plutia! Plutia! Please open the door! ⎯(°∀° )
Maybe she heard us talking about her.
That voice…! It’s way more loli than the one I’m used to, but it sounds like…
Welcome home, Histoire.

Now meet Mini-Histy. I’m going to do my best to re-create as many of the emoticon things she uses in her speech as I can, but some of the might not end up working.

Phew… I finally made it back… (; ⋅ ∀ ⋅)
Jumpin’ Jack Flash!
Aren’t you a bit late? Where did you wander off to?
I went shopping at the five and dime outside of town. (~_~;)
That’s less than an hour’s walk.
Yes, but I had to locate and purchase three AA batteries, which were rather heavy. (-_-;)
Due to that, my return trip took me about three days. (-_-;)
Aww, but you’re so itty-bitty. Don’t push yourself so hard.
Yeah, there’s something wrong with you.

This is Neppy, my new friend.
Is that so. I have a strange feeling she and I have met somewhere before… (-.-)
Oops, where are my manners? I am the one who guides the CPU of this nation, Histoire.
Y-Y-You’re… You’re Histy! A teeny-tiny bite-sized Histy!
Eep! Wh-What is wrong with you? Please refrain from grabbing me all of a sudden!
So flippin’ cute! She fits in your palm! Mini-Histy! This is the best thing ever!
So Histy…is Histoire?
Looks that way. But she keeps calling her small or something.
Oh, I get it now… I like that nickname… Maybe I’ll use it, too!
O-Ouch, this is quite painful… Help me, you two…!
Uh-oh, looks like Histy is about to get squeezed to death.
W-We need to stop her. Neptune, hey, let her go!
How awful! You must not grab people and squeeze them with all your might!
Hehe, sorry about that. I couldn’t help myself… You’re just so cute and tiny!
So basically, if you had a little hamster or something, it’d die before you got it home.
Hey, can I take her home with me? If I set her by Big Histy, it’d make for a mind-melting picture!
There’s a Big Histy, too? Fun! Why don’t we trade?

Yep. Baww, I guess you don’t know who I am either, huh, Histy?
I do not. (=_=) Well, I do not believe that I do, but something within me…
Really!? So then you –do- know me!?
No, no. It is nothing like that. May I hear your situation?
You bet!
I see. So in the place you are from, you are a CPU. Noire and I also exist there.
Y-Yep. I thought Noire was playin’ illusions on me by pretending not to know me.
But this Noire’s a big phony, and you’re all teeny-tiny, so I dunno what to believe anymore!
I know I’ve mentioned it before, but stop calling me things like a clone and phony.
I see. If is it like that… (-_-) But there could be that, which disallows ruling this out…
* puff, puff… *
Uh-oh! You’re smoking from the head again, Histy…!
Are you okay? You’re not computing something beyond your means, are you?
Huh? Mini-Histy has low specs? So she’s more about user-friendly features than performance here?
I am crunching some very large numbers, so please do not make silly comments. ( ‘ ⋅ ω ⋅ ‘ )
So that means… Yes, yes. I believe that is the only logical conclusion. (⎯_⎯)
Which is!? Don’t act all convinced before you tell us! Print it out or whatever!
It is merely my postulation, but… (-_-;)

Even in miniature form, Histoire is the most competent person in the cast.

H-Holy craparoni!
This is beyond stupid…
Oh, awesome. This is the part where the three of us finally agree on something. Silly Histy!
There’s no way we’d accept such an insane explanation.
Histoire, this girl’s just feeding us a giant crock, so you don’t have to take her seriously.
This ain’t no crock! I’m a CPU, and this whole franchise’s main character!
Were is solely a crock, it would be easy to discount. But there are hints of reality to it.
Plus, it is the only way for me to explain the mysterious bond I feel toward Neptune.
So what is this dimension thing?
Histoire, you’re tired from that shopping trip. Are you sure you didn’t blow a fuse?
Hey, let’s talk about me instead. How do I get home? You have to know, Histy!
Please do not all speak to me at once!
Um, let me see… (° _° ) First, we must verify that you are from another dimension.
What? There’s no way you can possibly do that.
Indeed, there is! =*^-^*=
What?
If another Histoire exists in Neptune’s world, we should be able to communicate somehow.
Whoa, that’s sweet bananas! Is this a new feature!?
Wooooow. So you can talk to Big Histy.
Please wait a moment while I try to establish a connection. ( ‘ ⋅ ω ⋅ ‘ )
Yeah! Establish that connection!

Despite this being unvoiced there are modem noises here for this.

Ba-bum. Ba-bum.
… (*⋅ ω ⋅*)~~~~~~~~~
So you’re doing it. Whatever.
… (*⋅ ω ⋅*)~~~~~~~~~
…Um, so Histy, did you do it? This is worse than dial-up…
Please do not speak to me now! This is not something that can be done right away. {{ (>_<) }}
Communicating with another dimension will take me, well, about three days. ( ⋅ A ⋅ )
That long!? Can’t you make it, like, three minutes or something?
Give it your all. We want to communicate…!
Please do not request the impossible from me. (-_-;)
Also, I cannot move or speak during an active connection. ( ‘ ⋅ ω ⋅ ‘ )
Therefore, do not bother me. If you will excuse me! (-_-)
Aw, c’mon, we were still chattin’ you up and stuff…
Searching for network… Establishing link… Seeking host… (*⋅ ω ⋅*)~~~
Well, that’s that. She’s like a busted computer.
* poke, poke * Wow, she doesn’t move at all. She’s like a little doll.
Hehehe. Maybe we should dress her up in silly outfits…
Or not. She said not to bother her, so let’s leave her alone for a few days, okay?
Once this fails, Histoire will realize you’re full of nonsense and then she’ll agree with me.

The plot continues next time, where poo poo gets really real. Get ready for it.

Next Time on Victory: The Plight of the CPU, Iris Heart

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Feinne posted:

Now for a reference to everyone’s “favorite” CG art from mk2.

Cords and tentacles…?
Don’t teach her those icky things! Ignore her, Plutia! Wait, “more”? What’s wrong with you?
Yeah, Neptune, don't corrupt a young innocent mind like that.

quote:

You just need to watch the video for the absolutely ridiculous entry animation for this character.

I like to think she carries around a door just so she can make dramatic entrances like this.

quote:

Next Time on Victory: The Plight of the CPU, Iris Heart

The moment everyone's been waiting for. :pervert:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
The modem noises are amazing.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
So, does it always take any version of Histy three days to do anything?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Pyroi posted:

In retrospect it totally didn't register with me that she was away at the store for three days as well. But yeah Histy always takes three days for things, it didn't come up much in Mk2 but that was a big thing in the original.

curiousCat posted:

The modem noises are amazing.

Yeah, they really are.

FANSean
Nov 9, 2010

Pyroi posted:

I think she operates in threes in general. I feel like this is half the reason some people want a Steam-based CPU/Oracle.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Feinne posted:

So yeah, in normal games we’d pretty much be forced to tolerate some stupid little girl gimmick character mouthing off and then they’d leave. Here in Victory Neptune just punched her in the goddamn mouth.

Aaand that's why I'm loving these games.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Feinne posted:

I…I can’t believe it! You’re so cruel to a little girl. That’s illegal! I won’t forget this!
You just admitted to being a little girl. I guess I win.
Ack! N-No, that was just…!
Bwahaha! I knew you were just a little baby girly girl! I win, I win, I am the coolest!

Pretty sad to get outwitted by Neptune of all people. :allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So Lowee exists in this universe, as does Planeptune, but Lastation doesn't. I guess that means Leanbox won't exist either, since it seems we're around the SNES era (if we're to believe the existance of CPUs or not in this universe correlates to consoles, so the Playstation line in general doesn't exist yet (Noire is a normal person, Uni apparently hasn't even been born)).

Also that punch was the best. Keep being the best Neptune.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Acquire Currency! posted:

What in the hell is any of this?

Feinne posted:

If anyone can come up with a satisfactory answer to that question I'd be really interested to hear it.

This is Stockholm Syndrome: The Game. It does terrible, terrible things to me and I still love it.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Raitzeno posted:

This is Stockholm Syndrome: The Game. It does terrible, terrible things to me and I still love it.

Ah ha ha ha that's pretty good.

I can't disagree with that sentiment either because I just totally spent like a half hour glaring at dogoos that Werent. Dropping. My. loving. Quest. Item. but the idea of saying gently caress it and stopping did not come up.

And yes I'm totally going to do all the Quests you can each chapter because what kind of weaksauce poo poo would this be if I didn't? It's actually sort of a good idea because again this game can be PUNISHINGLY HARD if you decide to try and half rear end stuff.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

So Lowee exists in this universe, as does Planeptune, but Lastation doesn't. I guess that means Leanbox won't exist either, since it seems we're around the SNES era (if we're to believe the existance of CPUs or not in this universe correlates to consoles, so the Playstation line in general doesn't exist yet (Noire is a normal person, Uni apparently hasn't even been born)).

Also that punch was the best. Keep being the best Neptune.
I have a feeling that Vert will somehow be worked into this alternate universe.

I mean, it's not like they'll go the New 52 Wally West route with Vert, right?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

I have a feeling that Vert will somehow be worked into this alternate universe.

I mean, it's not like they'll go the New 52 Wally West route with Vert, right?

I don't think it's particularly a spoiler to confirm that Vert is going to show up eventually. She's in the opening after all.

Ozdhaka posted:

At least fights go really fast. It's engaging and the mid-fight banter is pretty amusing ("I'll Nep your face!") even if many parts of the rest of the game is ill-refined or not even so.

Yeah, as we'll see next update my love for the mid-fight banter is equally high.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 15, 2014

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

Ah ha ha ha that's pretty good.

I can't disagree with that sentiment either because I just totally spent like a half hour glaring at dogoos that Werent. Dropping. My. loving. Quest. Item. but the idea of saying gently caress it and stopping did not come up.

I echo this too - I had to kill a Tough Foe that just refused to drop an item that I can't acquire another way a lot of times - but at least I have the presence of mind to find ways to boost drop rates. This early though, well, good luck.

At least fights go really fast. It's engaging and the mid-fight banter is pretty amusing ("I'll Nep your face!") even if many parts of the rest of the game is ill-refined or not even so.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The fourth wall really isn't even a thing in this game is it. Even compared to the other games.

So Lowee was the only game in town for a long time until Plutia randomly came along and created Planeptune. This doesn't sound analogous to any real-life history at all, no siree!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
As far as Vert showing up is concerned, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this piece of foreshadowing:

Feinne posted:

Centuries? Pretty balls for a respawn time. Only MMO shut-ins with no lives could get one!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

So Lowee was the only game in town for a long time until Plutia randomly came along and created Planeptune. This doesn't sound analogous to any real-life history at all, no siree!

Makes you wonder how things were before even Lowee was found...

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

Makes you wonder how things were before even Lowee was found...

Is there an Atari CPU?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Is there an Atari CPU?

If there is, she's long dead. Probably buried in a landfill in Mexinu.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Raitzeno posted:

I'm not even playing the game and I have a similar feeling. Possibly because of my horrible weakness to most RPGs.

Is piracy gonna be a thing again? I'm not sure how much of an issue it was in the equivalent time period.
Neptune should be a role model for RPG protagonists as far as dealing with/punching annoying characters. Good on her.

Also I'm kinda confused with the villain here. Did Rei follow us across dimensions? And instantly has connections with the villains there?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh wow, I didn't even think of what W. T. Fits said. I did think Neptune was making an insult towards Vert (because almost all of her dialogue seems to be annoying someone, be it by her innocent insensitivity or just being a dick), but I didn't think of it as blatant foreshadowing, despite being...as subtle as everything else in this game, really.

That said, if they're sticking to the actual console timeline (counting our current moment as ~SNES-era), then the order of CPUs would have to be Blanc (who has already been confirmed as the first CPU), then Plutia (replacing Neptune, already a CPU), then Noire (not a CPU yet), and only then Vert. And considering game analogies is one of the things these games seem to really enjoy (alongside fanservice and incompetent/sociopathic protagonists), I'm going to guess they'll properly follow this order.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

HGH posted:

I'm not even playing the game and I have a similar feeling. Possibly because of my horrible weakness to most RPGs.

Is piracy gonna be a thing again? I'm not sure how much of an issue it was in the equivalent time period.
Neptune should be a role model for RPG protagonists as far as dealing with/punching annoying characters. Good on her.

Also I'm kinda confused with the villain here. Did Rei follow us across dimensions? And instantly has connections with the villains there?

There are two of her, though since she knew about Neptune you can reasonably assume she's the Rei who was talking to Croire earlier and therefore is aware there is another Rei in another universe and was the one who asked for her to get that weird blue thing. And as we'll see from the membership of the Seven Sages, piracy is merely one of the issues they represent. So far we've seen total lack of loving standards (Rei) and shrieking moral outrage (Abnes), we'll see two more next update.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

That said, if they're sticking to the actual console timeline (counting our current moment as ~SNES-era), then the order of CPUs would have to be Blanc (who has already been confirmed as the first CPU), then Plutia (replacing Neptune, already a CPU), then Noire (not a CPU yet), and only then Vert. And considering game analogies is one of the things these games seem to really enjoy (alongside fanservice and incompetent/sociopathic protagonists), I'm going to guess they'll properly follow this order.
You say that, but in Neptunia 1 and Mk2, they did nothing to capitalize on their video game theme. They just wrote a pair of bog-standard fantasy RPGs and replaced the made-up terminology that shows up in every hacky fantasy story with jokes about video games. So if Victory really is a direct allegory for video game history, the series is actually breaking new ground.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Feinne posted:

There are two of her, though since she knew about Neptune you can reasonably assume she's the Rei who was talking to Croire earlier and therefore is aware there is another Rei in another universe and was the one who asked for her to get that weird blue thing. And as we'll see from the membership of the Seven Sages, piracy is merely one of the issues they represent. So far we've seen total lack of loving standards (Rei) and shrieking moral outrage (Abnes), we'll see two more next update.

Wait, mind explaining how Rei represents lack of standards, because I'm not getting it.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

RefinedUndefined posted:

Wait, mind explaining how Rei represents lack of standards, because I'm not getting it.

It'll make sense a lot later on when we see more about her reasons for opposing CPUs, but it also manifests in how absolutely shoddy and awful every single thing she is involved in is. By the end of the game though you'll totally see it.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Feinne posted:

So far we've seen total lack of loving standards (Rei) and shrieking moral outrage (Abnes), we'll see two more next update.

RefinedUndefined posted:

So far Rei is really more the representation of terrible speech impediments (stuttering, in her case), being completely unable to get to the goddamn point of a conversation, and ellipses, all of which are major problems that have haunted video games (especially JRPGs) since their inception.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Feinne posted:

And as we'll see from the membership of the Seven Sages, piracy is merely one of the issues they represent.

Yeah, kinda figured as much from the silhouettes shown in some of the screenshots of that conversation. Arfoire turning up again was definitely expected; Pirachu, not-so-much. I guess he's used here to represent bootleg knockoffs or whatever, but that's pretty much the same as Mk2 so maybe something different.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Wait so Rei represents the lack of proper QA or even something remotely resembling game design in many games from back then or something?

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007

I am giggling like a little girl here. I came just imagine Maechen from FFX yelling this at you if you try to skip past his rambling.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

Wait so Rei represents the lack of proper QA or even something remotely resembling game design in many games from back then or something?

I'm pretty sure, yeah, though we won't see all the reasons until much later in the game.

FrantzX posted:

I am giggling like a little girl here. I came just imagine Maechen from FFX yelling this at you if you try to skip past his rambling.

The voice acting double sells it, because she just sounds like she's speaking in all caps.

EDIT: Also I have screens for the next update ready, I'm going to try and get as much written today as possible because I've got important Godzilla related tasks tomorrow.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 16, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Feinne posted:

Ah, gotcha. I didn't catch that on first viewing because I expected one of them to look or behave differently what with alternate dimensions but it's pretty much the same person for both, at least so far.
I'm trying to think up video games issues from the 80s and this seems like it'll be pretty amusing as far as concepts go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008
I'm pretty sure Abnes is mean to be a reference to Agnes Chan who provoked ire in some places like 2chan for criticising the grosser parts of otaku culture, and was part of some UNICEF thing to get Japan to start regulating it.

• Locked thread