Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

chaos rhames posted:

Everyone who has ever had anything ever to do with this aside from automatically vomiting needs to evaluate their lives.

That's a bit extreme, dontcha think? Its just comedy with a bit of a dark undertone. Cool if you don't like it, but don't attack those who find it entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That's a bit extreme, dontcha think? Its just comedy with a bit of a dark undertone. Cool if you don't like it, but don't attack those who find it entertaining.
Once you're in the realm of borderline rape jokes, it seems dangerous to dismiss anything as "just comedy", and right now I don't see what makes Plutia any better than Trick. Is it just that she's a woman?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FractalSandwich posted:

Once you're in the realm of borderline rape jokes, it seems dangerous to dismiss anything as "just comedy", and right now I don't see what makes Plutia any better than Trick. Is it just that she's a woman?

No. It's that she's not a pedophile on top of everything else.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

FractalSandwich posted:

At least Plutia's not creeping out over kids.

It also helps when we see what it is that Plutia actually wants from Neptune and Noire, which we will immediately.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I wouldn't exactly call Neptune an adult.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FractalSandwich posted:

I wouldn't exactly call Neptune an adult.

Neptune's an immature dumbass, but that doesn't make her equivalent to Ram and Rom.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

Presentation, mainly. Iris Heart just sounds less creepy and rape-y than Trick, just by their voice. It lowers the situation from 'stop, cease, desist' to 'that's incredibly wrong, but kinda hilarious.'

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Presentation, mainly. Iris Heart just sounds less creepy and rape-y than Trick, just by their voice. It lowers the situation from 'stop, cease, desist' to 'that's incredibly wrong, but kinda hilarious.'

Yeah, I'll agree the scene is definitely worse if you're just reading the transcript. It's also a bit better if you keep in mind that despite her transformation Plutia's still the same age as Neptune and Noire give or take.

At some level I also have to applaud that IF/Compile Heart seriously made a game where one of the main characters is a pretty bad person to the extent that 'are we even the good guys' is a question that will come up.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 18, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Does this honestly come as a surprise to people? Y'all knew what you were signing up for in this thread.

This is what we're here for, everyone.

This is why we're here.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Feinne posted:

At some level I also have to applaud that IF/Compile Heart seriously made a game where one of the main characters is a pretty bad person to the extent that 'are we even the good guys' is a question that will come up.

Are... are we the baddies, Noire? :ohdear:
I am not sure if even Monty Python could save this script, actually.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

Are... are we the baddies, Noire? :ohdear:
I am not sure if even Monty Python could save this script, actually.

Well, good thing that's a Mitchell and Webb line, then.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Feinne posted:

There should be more RPGs like that in general. Even if it isn't subtle and the character is wrote such that you kick puppies because they're there, I'd certainly enjoy playing the "bad guy" for once. Would be a nice break from saving the universe over and over again.

I should go re-read the Soul Nomad LP again. That was pretty great and I need a good dose of over-the-top evil at least once this year.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Seiren posted:

There should be more RPGs like that in general. Even if it isn't subtle and the character is wrote such that you kick puppies because they're there, I'd certainly enjoy playing the "bad guy" for once. Would be a nice break from saving the universe over and over again.

I should go re-read the Soul Nomad LP again. That was pretty great and I need a good dose of over-the-top evil at least once this year.

Go and play Hundred Knight, even if it's just a teensy bit unsubtle.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Materant posted:

Go and play Hundred Knight, even if it's just a teensy bit unsubtle.

"Go, Hundred Knight, and take the fucking head of that motherfucking bitch" (spoilered bit is where a beep "censors" the swear)

Actual line (or close enough) from Metallia. Iris Heart is subtle in comparison.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Omobono posted:

"Go, Hundred Knight, and take the fucking head of that motherfucking bitch" (spoilered bit is where a beep "censors" the swear)

Actual line (or close enough) from Metallia. Iris Heart is subtle in comparison.

Before I decided on Iris Heart I almost just made an avatar of Metallia and one of the many terrible things she says. If not for the three month rule that game is what this LP would be because it's maybe the craziest story from an NIS game since Soul Nomad.

And yeah they just added ineffectual bleeps to the things you can't say in a T rated game and somehow that was totally cool with the ESRB even though you can literally hear that k through the beep.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 18, 2014

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Wow, already we're talking about Feinne's next project! Seems a little early, but if Hundred Knight is anything close to what I've heard then I look forward to Feinne suffering through it.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
This is going back a couple updates, but do any of the DLC characters have notable partner abilities?

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Does this honestly come as a surprise to people? Y'all knew what you were signing up for in this thread.

This is what we're here for, everyone.

This is why we're here.
Pretty much, yeah.

Feinne posted:

Before I decided on Iris Heart I almost just made an avatar of Metallia and one of the many terrible things she says. If not for the three month rule that game is what this LP would be because it's maybe the craziest story from an NIS game since Soul Nomad.
You know what you must do... in time.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lobsterman posted:

This is going back a couple updates, but do any of the DLC characters have notable partner abilities?

Yes actually, MarvelousAQL reduces SP costs and Cybercon improves turn speed. The SP cost reduction is pretty significant, so I've got her with Plutia.

I actually used Cybercon for a bit, she's really fast and able to do some pretty impressive damage.

I'm actually at the start of Chapter 3 now as far as recording, that's when we get our first new weapons for the DLC characters as a by the by. The DLC characters here are sort of weird as far as how their weapons work, they take a while to get new ones but skip several tiers of power each time. I'm also way, way higher level than I was first time I played this game at this point because I've been doing all the quests (and thank god for the DLC weapons, which I have been breaking out on Risky/Tough Foes after the first kill just to expedite matters on things I've proven I can kill).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Episode 7: The Plight of Two Histoires

Last time Neptune and Noire became CPUs. Now we’ll see what Plutia wanted from them.

Baw, is it really time…?
Will I be whisked away? Will Plutie treat me right?

So yeah Plutia wanted to take a bath with them, which is a bit creepy but nowhere near as bad as it could be.

D-Don’t make such judgments based on one look, kiddo! It’s embarrassing! Be nice…
I’ll caress you gently. I promise… Wow… Your skin’s so smooth…
Suds in my buds! You’re like a professional, Plutie!
Get in there good and I’ll pledge my soul to you! Wheeee!
…Why’re you saying all this weird B-movie romance crap?
Huh? Did I say something weird…?
Aw, don’t butt in on my romantic speech! I promised this, so I gotta make it sound convincing.
Who’re you convincing!? Jeez… Sitting and listening to you is the most embarrassing thing ever!
Embarrassing, huh? Just what scenario were you imagining us having, my lady?

Aw, why not tell your goofy but somewhat approachable uncle all about it? C’mon, kiddo!
Ugh, you’re the most annoying person I’ve ever met! If you don’t knock it off, I’ll slap you!
Ouch, hey… Noire, you’re getting worked up and scrubbing too hard…
What!? O-Oh. Sorry.
That’s no good. You better do it properly, since you promised to make my body sparkly clean.
Yeah, I apologized, didn’t I? But I suppose I should be happy this was all you asked of us.
Ain’t that the truth! Plutie’s eyes were like a hungry hawk or whatever back there.
I really thought she was gonna get all up under my duds and stuff…
There’s no way I’d do that. Okay, Neppy, time to show me The Wave! Life ‘em up!
Huh? Oh, okay. Whee!
Yay, time to scrub those sensitive little armpits…
Pffft! Gahahaha, that tickles!
Hey, stop squirming and kicking! This is a bath. Calm the hell down!

Ooh, that sounds fun. Face that way, Noire…
Um, no thanks. I’m fine. If I turn my back to you two, who knows what’ll happen to me.
Aw, c’mon, don’t be a shy little dingo. Okay Plutie, you fly in from the right. Ready? Attack!
Bubble Splash!
Stoppit, you little opportunists! ACK! Neptune, what did you just grab!?
Aw, preese, dear customer, rerax. It is part of service.
We make you sparkle-sparkle…
Kyaaah! Stop all of this! Nooo! I will never admit this happened!

Now that that’s over with, we’ve got some plot again.

Of course it is. Let’s do it again!
Ugh… There’s no way I’ll ever let myself get forced into that ever again.
Neptune! Neptune!
Was that Histy?
Huh? I thought she was frozen in place…
She said she wouldn’t be able to talk or move until she connected with the other…n-no way!
I did it! Connection established! I found the me from your world! Please hurry over here!
I’m-a comin’!

Because we’ve managed to link up with Big Histy!

Please calm down. I’m bringing up the video feed now. ( ⋅ . ⋅ )
Whoa, it’s Big Histy! Hey!
That’s Big Histy? It’s hard to tell from Mini-Histy’s video…
I can’t believe it… She wasn’t making it up…
Yo, Histy! Do you recognize my pretty face!? It’s a-me, Neptune!
Yes. There is no mistaking you, Neptune. To think you were taken to another dimension…
Think how surprised –I- was! But you know how I can come back home, right?
Well, about that…
Neptune!? Is that you, Neptune!?
Huh? That sounds like…
Please Nepgear, we are attempting to hold a very serious conversation right now.
Let me see her! I want to talk to my big sister!
W-Wait, no, do not push your face so close to that…!
It really –is- you, Neptune!
Whassup, Nep Jr.? Been a while. You good?

Um, no matter what lens you look at it through, Neptune is totally the younger sister.
Um, this is my really touching reunion scene, so don’t butt in. We get that a lot, though.
You disappeared so suddenly! I’ve been worried sick!
…You…left me again…
Whoa, let’s plug that leaky eye-plumbing! I’m fine, and I’ll be home real soon!
Okay… I’m so sorry I made you go work all by yourself…
Excuse me, Nepgear, I hate to interrupt you, but…
Lame! How come only Nepgear gets to have so much fun!?
Well, I’m talking to my big sister right now, so…
Neptune? So she’s actually in another dimension?
Let me see, too…
Yeah, but me first! Me me me!
Huh? Everyone, um…

Yay! Neptune, can you see me?
Another…dimension? Oooh…
It looks kind of weird, huh? Wait, is that –my- big sister!? Noire’s over there, too…?
G-Go away, everyone! I’m still talking to Neptune…
Bring us back a really expensive souvenir! Like a bucket of candy!
Maybe…a picture book…
So if I go over there, does that mean I have two older sisters!?
Please stop pushing against me… There’s not enough room…!
E-Everyone, enough is enough!
The CPU Candidates: Waaaaah!
Oops. The video feed is losing its connection. One moment. (*⋅ω⋅*)~~~
Connection error? Mini-Histy, you better not 404 on us!
It looks like a pretty lively dimension, to say the least.
Neppy, you’re so popular…

Oh, you’re back! Don’t go blank on us again! My heart jumped and skipped a hop!
That was no fault of mine. Nepgear and her friends were interfering.
That aside, let us discuss the matter at hand. Getting you back home.
Oh, yeah that’s kind of important. How do we do it?
About that… I am unsure at this time.
Dun-dun-dunnn!
Are you being Exaggeristy? I jut made a dramatic noise, so you better be joking!
Th-There is nothing to be done. I only recently learned you arrived in another dimension.
But it’s your jobby-job to do something about it, right?
It’s cool. Even if you cheat, it’s not breaking the rules. Deus ex machina, baby!
Do not demand such things of me! I will research and then contact you once I find a solution.
Whoa, come on! Histy, don’t hang up so fast!
Oh. She ended the call.
Ugh, figures. The one time I need her, she makes some excuse and hangs up on my face.

You were asking too much of her. Isn’t it enough to know that you and they are all okay?
Cheep up, Neppy. Hehehe…
What’s with the chortle, Plutie?
Well, if you’re not going home yet, that means we can still play together. I’m happy…
Jeez. You just smacked me with reality like it wasn’t a big deal at all…
Whatever. It’s cool hanging out with you and Pseudo-Noire.
…I’m gonna say it now, but I’m not going to be hanging around all the time.
I’m finally a CPU, so I need to hurry up and create my own nation…
Well, okay, but know that I’m totally gonna steal your only friend away while you’re gone!

I goddamn love this line.

That’s right. Neppy is your friend, too.
Hmph! Sh-She’s not my friend or anything.
Alas, fair maidens! Noire cannot uproot the truths Plutie doth plant.
Sh-Shut up, jeez!
But seriously, this is how things are gonna be for now, so let’s have fun, Plutie!
Yay! Let’s play forever…!

Now for Nepstation, which happens at the end of each chapter. Normally there’d be an evaluation of what we did, but this time they’ll just explain what’s going on.

Nepstation!
Howdy, folks! This is a new program offering scintillating info and will please players far and wide!
And this program is called… Nepstation!
Um, this program is…
Ummmm… What is it, again?
C’mon Plutie, don’t muck up the first episode. Can someone get the cue cards ready?
Here they are. Plutia, please read along.
Okies, thanks…
Thank you Assistant Director Histy, who we will call Assdty for short.
Please do not force such nicknames onto me. Why do I have to do this in the first place? ( ; ° Δ °)
Um, uh… This program is…to tell players how…good they did between ch…apters, and rate them.
Four highly-skilled reviewers of our choice will rate the player’s performance on a 10-point scale!
The best score is 40!

Naturally. To make you try hard, we’ve prepared some lovely gifts to tempt you into working.
Oooh, I can’t wait for it…!
Okay, let’s get totaling!
There is no review this time.
Huh?
The reviews start next time. We had a meeting about this. I was quite clear.
Oh, we did? Really?
We’ve already made a mess…
The script called for us to introduce the program and then end it. What should we do now? (° _°)
Uh, right. So that’s it, folks!
From now on, Basilicom TVs will let you catch the news, shopping, and other stuff!
Don’t miss out on any of it!
Wow, she completely ignored her mistake and pushed on…
That’s it for today! This program was brought to you by Neptune – that’s me – and…
Plutia. Bye-bye for now…!
Oh, one more thing. The us on this program have nothing to do with the us in the main game. Got it?

We’ll pick things up with Chapter 2 next time when Histy gets Pissty. See you then!

Next Time on Victory: The Plight of The Napping CPU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
That CG could have been worse too.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

curiousCat posted:

That CG could have been worse too.

Neptunia is a sad cycle of justification where no matter what happens, you always tell yourself "Well, it could have been worse."

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't think it's justification so much as relief as you never know what to expect with these things. Although if you really are looking for worse the previous games might have you covered at some point.

Grades in an RPG seems really...annoying. I can't imagine what the rewards are but I do know I'd go insane not getting the best grade and probably have some backup saves all over the place. Ugh, I'm reminded of an ARPG that gave out pretty huge stat bonuses if you got As now. I think half my playtime was spent reloading saves trying to figure out boss strategies, hopefully it's not the same here. Or even worse, have some completely arbitrary thing like "exploration%" and so on determine them.

Also is grades out of 40 a Japanese thing? The only people I can think of that use it are Famitsu and those always seem to be in the upper 30s to boot.

Finally, more people should threaten others' spleens because it's a great word.

FrantzX posted:

It's a bit hard to hear, but that's not the entire line.

Oh, that's even better.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Basically it's just "do all the quests, get above 50% Planeptune Shares, use a mechanic we won't see until next Chapter a lot, and kill a lot of monsters". And I'm pretty sure I got all the things you can get from 39/40 at the end of Chapter 2.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm pretty sure "grading out of 40" is entirely a Famitsu reference. IIRC they have four reviewers do 1-10 ratings and then add them.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Yeah, the totally not-Famitsu rating system is thankfully not obtrusive and very optional - all you get out of it is free stuff you can get on your own, so if you get something that normally requires killing a very tough enemy for it, it saves you some time, money, and effort. The only thing that really needs to be clarified on the Quests part of it is that if you want to get the 10, you have to clear all the quests that appear in that chapter. I got the 40/40 for Ch. 2 - it's not too hard to get if you got a monster appearance and drop guide handy.

Oh, and enjoy some Nepstation.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ozdhaka posted:

Yeah, the totally not-Famitsu rating system is thankfully not obtrusive and very optional - all you get out of it is free stuff you can get on your own, so if you get something that normally requires killing a very tough enemy for it, it saves you some time, money, and effort. The only thing that really needs to be clarified on the Quests part of it is that if you want to get the 10, you have to clear all the quests that appear in that chapter. I got the 40/40 for Ch. 2 - it's not too hard to get if you got a monster appearance and drop guide handy.

That's weird, I definitely cleared all of Chapter 2's quests and in the evaluation it mentioned that but it only gave me 9/10.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Neptune was getting way too into that bath scene.

People should watch the background in Plutia's room as we go through the game.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

That's weird, I definitely cleared all of Chapter 2's quests and in the evaluation it mentioned that but it only gave me 9/10.

I suspect either you didn't manage to use the next chapter's system enough to find all of the dungeons in the nations available to you or you ran into another instance of Idiot Factory Programming.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So Neptune and Noire's only saving grace is that Iris Heart is a temporary form and Plutia herself is significantly less... um, oppressive, let's go with that one.

Keeping track of who's who in these portraits is going to become a mess before too long. Hopefully both Noires aren't ever in the same scene together!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ozdhaka posted:

I suspect either you didn't manage to use the next chapter's system enough to find all of the dungeons in the nations available to you or you ran into another instance of Idiot Factory Programming.

I've got a list of the Chapter 2 quests and don't seem to have missed any of them, and I definitely wasn't missing any dungeons, I'm kind of confused but I don't care that much.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Twin-tailed shower caps is some serious commitment to tsunderedom.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Feinne posted:

Basically it's just "do all the quests, get above 50% Planeptune Shares, use a mechanic we won't see until next Chapter a lot, and kill a lot of monsters". And I'm pretty sure I got all the things you can get from 39/40 at the end of Chapter 2.

Ozdhaka posted:

Good to know just being a regular ol' completionist is enough then. I'd rather do a lot of trivial things than have a single important metric to judge things by.
That's a catchy tune. Can't hate on elevator music.

Kevos Setzer posted:

People should watch the background in Plutia's room as we go through the game.
I'm gonna venture a guess and say that doll rack is gonna be pretty full by the end.

HGH fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 20, 2014

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

If you're particularly eagle-eyed you can even figure out who might be joining us by the end of a chapter by who suddenly has a doll in Plutia's room.

By the way, when you save the game it'll indicate what's going on in the story in the file. Some of them are pretty hilarious, such as the first one of Chapter 2 (which I reference at the end of the update, because it's Histy is Pissty).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Got a quick update coming tomorrow to lead us into Chapter 2, then the next one after that will be a mix of DLC character scenes (fully voiced too!) and plot progression.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Well, goon friends, it has been nice knowing you. Mugen Souls Z is now downloading, and playing it might just shame me off the face of the earth. I wish you all the best.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Can someone explain this Mugen Souls/Z thing to me, the shame and stuff? I don't know anything about the games, and reading something dry like a Wiki article, or fawning like GameFAQS or something, wouldn't explain it.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

Can someone explain this Mugen Souls/Z thing to me, the shame and stuff? I don't know anything about the games, and reading something dry like a Wiki article, or fawning like GameFAQS or something, wouldn't explain it.

The main character of Mugen Souls is able to flirt with people so hard that it forces them to serve her for life.

Oh, so if you're playing Mugen Souls Z there is a crash bug in the Mugen Field (its equivalent of the Item World). From what I understand NISA knows about it and people have figured out what causes it (the game doesn't properly load the Slumbering Bosses) so hopefully we should actually see a patch for this.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 21, 2014

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Kurui Reiten posted:

Hey listen! Listen! I'm writing this game where a moe girl declares herself supreme goddess of the universe through a pop idol concert--
That sounds like something you would do.
Not until the next game. But this girl announces she's now the supreme goddess and takes a hot springs bath in her super cool town that's also an airship, and she invites her friend who's a demon who's now an angel because she's terribad at being a demon and has to do evil deeds to be a demon again, and she also invites her number one peon in so because he gets nosebleeds that go off like a rocket and it's so funny to watch, but then some mean old pirate lord sends some monsters to board the airship that's also a town and she fights them with the power of MOE and makes them her peons by turning them into little rabbid creatures and saves the town-slash-airship and then there's an airship battle -in space-! And then chapter one starts,
Neptune, have you been getting into the pixy sticks again?
Squee!

I don't actually know what happens past the prologue. It kind of scares me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'd honestly play that if the battle system was fun, no lie :negative:

• Locked thread