Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
ya, the funny thing is etrian odessy games are pretty great direct successors to wizardry, but jp roguelikes suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

some japanese designers played rogue a bunch in the early 90s and decided to make a game just like it, except all they really took from it was 'this game is hard, turn based, and randomized'

now there's an entire franchise of japanese games based around that idea without any of what makes actual roguelikes fun

read:they do different things so they must be bad

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

some japanese designers played rogue a bunch in the early 90s and decided to make a game just like it, except all they really took from it was 'this game is hard, turn based, and randomized'

now there's an entire franchise of japanese games based around that idea without any of what makes actual roguelikes fun

That's true of basically every major stage in western roguelikes too though. Shiren II is actually a really good game mainly because of the enemy design, my main problem with it (and JP roguelikes generally) is that they basically scrapped permadeath.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Yea... Its called Dark Souls.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

TOME lets you respawn lol

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Thug Lessons posted:

That's true of basically every major stage in western roguelikes too though. Shiren II is actually a really good game mainly because of the enemy design, my main problem with it (and JP roguelikes generally) is that they basically scrapped permadeath.

a lot of roguelikes now scrap or make it optional to have permadeath now

admit it, you savescummed at least once

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Also i should go play Shiren 2 since I played the first one and liked it

Parallax Scroll posted:

TOME lets you respawn lol

TOME4 is hella gay

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i tried sil, and it was kind of novel to just have a single 'use item' key instead of separate keys for drinking potions, reading scrolls, etc

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
what is sil and why is it good?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

User0015 posted:

what is sil and why is it good?

tolkein fanfiction

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i keep tryna get into crawl but brogue has me completely spoiled for neat dungeon generation

crawl just has these stupid twisty turny hallways designed to gnaw away at the food clock and it's dumb

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Real hurthling! posted:

Numlock or usb numpad for old games, new games like crawl are optimized (you basically just hit O until you auto-wander towards something and then use the mouse from there)

How the gently caress is this "optimized"? This sounds loving awful.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

https://crawl.s-z.org/#lobby

Playing as a HESk this time as LatinaPride, press _ to talk and leave words of encouragement!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Welp, that got out of control quickly

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I like Wazhack.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
don't die right when I log in.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Meme Emulator posted:

https://crawl.s-z.org/#lobby

Playing as a HESk this time as LatinaPride, press _ to talk and leave words of encouragement!

Ok im a DsGl this time.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

EightFlyingCars posted:

i keep tryna get into crawl but brogue has me completely spoiled for neat dungeon generation

crawl just has these stupid twisty turny hallways designed to gnaw away at the food clock and it's dumb

The food clock is really important in Brouge but new players tend to really overestimate how important it is in Crawl. Basically unless you're a caster don't worry about it to much since most characters can probably beat the game without eating a single chunk.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Crazy Yuif just so happened to get a holy wrath hit with his chaos weapon when I fought him. Nice.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

a DS getting blasted by holy is what "you convulse" means, right

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

a DS getting blasted by holy is what "you convulse" means, right

Ya

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I usually skip Crazy Yuif if I find him on like D:3-5 because he tends to hit like a truck, you can always come back and get his cloak (and maybe qstaff too) later.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Theyve made a lot of changes since i played last. Ive been rolling chars because I wanna try the new gods but I keep splatting before the temple.

IDK how i feel about knowing how much damage poison is going to do to you

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

also new type of store, Platinum reserve with only artifacts :o

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Gladiator seems really tuff now too, you get to start with a really high tier weapon like longsword, war axe or trident

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Meme Emulator posted:

Gladiator seems really tuff now too, you get to start with a really high tier weapon like longsword, war axe or trident

Fighters get that too now.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

Theyve made a lot of changes since i played last. Ive been rolling chars because I wanna try the new gods but I keep splatting before the temple.

IDK how i feel about knowing how much damage poison is going to do to you

The main benefit of deterministic poison is that you don't have to hit the wait key 50 times every time you get poisoned

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Fighters also get a might potion, and that might potion saved my rear end on my winning character in the tournament.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

https://crawl.s-z.org/#play-dcss-gods

Another DsGl on the experimental Gods server, as Latina Pride. Hit _ to chat!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i took a break from crawl for a couple years and when i came back they had removed my favorite race. wtf i just want to play as a dwarf

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
They had to make room for the cat race.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

War axe is poo poo.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Latina your links don't work, you have to link to your username.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Spenny posted:

War axe is poo poo.

It's better than hand axe which is what they used to get

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Spenny posted:

War axe is poo poo.

Yeah it's not good but on D:1 it's a big improvement, nothing like those games where you have a hand axe in lair.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i never tried brogue, i will try it

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

You have to do the link like this https://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-ASSMAN

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Spenny posted:

Whoa this is pretty cool

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Meme Emulator posted:

also new type of store, Platinum reserve with only artifacts :o

that's specifically in a vault for one of the two new gods (gozag, god of greed)

guaranteed 'good' random artifacts, but the price is ten times normal

v stylish imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Spenny posted:

Sounds like I hosed up

Ill splat some more skalds tomorrow morning properly

• Locked thread