Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I want to bring back all of the posts I've read in this forum that plaintively said "China is not interested in conflict with its neighbors, it doesn't have a history of doing so and all it wants to do is to develop peacefully." Every China thread in the last five years was filled with those types of posts.

There's also a lot of posts about China that are basically "China and the US will never get into conflict, they are too economically dependent on each other." While I'm not certain at this point that statement will prove false, my gut reaction is that it eventually prove false. Why?

Because China's territorial conflict with its Asian neighbors are in large part counter to American hegemony in Asia. China wants to break out of the geopolitical status quo and it's starting in Asia by trying to push around countries in the region. America is countering that by setting up alliances and offering support to Japan, Vietnam, Philippines and basically anybody who will oppose China in the region. Japan already announced that it will be more aggressive militarily and has announced just this week it is lifting export bans on military hardware in an effort to jump start its domestic military industry.

Front page of NYTimes today:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/31/world/asia/us-sway-in-asia-is-imperiled-as-china-challenges-alliances.html?hp&_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/w...setType=nyt_now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread