Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
http://news.usni.org/2014/05/07/hanoi-chinese-ships-rammed-vietnamese-patrol-boats-escalating-oilrig-dispute

Things are heating up between Beijing and Hanoi. On one hand, you have to respect the Vietnamese for pwning the French, the Nihonese, the French again, and then the US, then the Chinese and Khmer Rouge. On the other hand, my Mao lighter is a symbol of my leftist solidarity and individuality, just like everyone else in the Che Brigade.

The Vietnamese get my vote. I love pho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

esquilax posted:

Pakistan kind of likes China

China has been solicitous of Burma and North Korea too.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
The Russians and Chinese will probably go to war over Siberia in the not-so-distant future. Google "Great Siberian War of 2030" for some fun reading about someone's predictions. Russia can't populate Siberia, with its declining population, and China needs lebensraum. Already, Chinese traders are all over the Amur, and have been for over a decade.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You're lucky Tom Clancy is dead, or you'd be looking at a plagiarism suit within days, pal.

Heh. It's a DoD paper.

I once waited on Tom Clancy, in about 1998. He was among the top five most insufferable assholes I've ever met.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 1, 2014

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Numlock posted:

I would think there is an obvious difference between Russia openly invading a country on the door step of Nato/Europe to China playing bumper boats with Vietnam in an area most Westerners consider a backwater. Also China is a lot more economically important to the US which pushed hard for the sanctions.

The US certainly doesn't see the South China Sea as a backwater. Nine of the ten busiest seaports in the world are on it or very near it.

Edited for geography.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

TheBalor posted:

Isn't it predicted that China's population is set to fall back below 1 billion in the next 50 years, anyway? Something like the current generation isn't having any kids, so once the first "one child" policy generation dies off, there won't be anyone to replace them.

Even 1 billion would be ten times Russia's projected population of less than 100 million, and dwarf that of all other neighbors save India.

• Locked thread