Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Numlock posted:

Partly, but it is notable in just how ridiculous of a claim it is. Just look at it!

Part of me wishes there was video of an open session of the UN kinda like C-SPAN, with a presentation projecting that map onto a screen with just the China-propozed red line, flashing THIS IS WHAT THEY ACTUALLY BELIEVE underneath it. In the background you'll hear every countries' representative fall over themselves with laughter.

At least that's how the UN should operate. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
I've always seen the one-child policy in China cited as something that, all issues of morality aside here, was needed in some form or another to control what was then a very poor country's exploding population. The discussion earlier produced a link with a graphic showing China's population more or less staying at current levels through 2050, and I understand the one-child policy is being relaxed in rural areas. What I've never seen mentioned, even earlier when the one-child policy and aging populations were being simultaneously discussed, were possible scenarios in which China's population does continue to hover around 1 billion, but with a much older median age.

I'm assuming the relaxation of the one-child policy is meant to mitigate this effect (as well as produce males able to work on family farms), and I'd assume they'll relax it further over time as needed. I know the CPC would probably never publicly comment on it, but has there been any indication that they're aware of it, and are going to try to avoid a Japan-level population population crisis? I'd imagine even with the government tightly controlling population, there'd still be a window in which the levels would be all out of whack, and that'd definitely cause problems down the road. Then again, an older population is likely to riot, so there's that.

• Locked thread