Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Welcome to the 2014 MLB Be A GM thread. Here is where I would link you to the old thread that was done two years ago if archives wasn't broken. But since they are, it means I have to do this whole OP on my own instead of copying the first one and changing things to be date specific.

What the hell is Be A GM?

Thirty goons will select a Major League Baseball team and draft their ideal 25 man roster in a snake draft, with a random draft order. We will then argue about who's team is the best while I put everyone's team into OOTP 15, where I will sim out the season for all the bragging rights.

:holy::slick::siren:How it works::siren::slick::holy:

Once everyone has their team, I'll run a random draft order in the game, and we will run a serpentine draft (I will set up a separate thread that will only be for picks) until each team has a full 25 man roster. After this, I'll let people set various strategies for their teams (I'll detail what you can do in another post) and start simming a couple weeks at a time in a separate thread. Injuries, scouting, and coaching will be turned off. As far as existing injuries go, anyone who is out for six weeks or less as of the roster set I have (which I believe is updated as of the real opening day) will be reset to healthy, anyone else will have their injury untouched. All injuries have been reset. Everyone is fine, nothing is ruined. Any player who is in the game is eligible to be drafted. This includes prospects! You think that ace in the making that your team is holding down for service time issues is ready? Draft him! Young slugger ready to take the league by storm? Warm up the sirens.

Who can play?

Everyone! Just be aware that this is a healthy time commitment. It's a whole lotta fun at the beginning when you're drafting all the stars but when you're drafting the seventh member of your bullpen it can get a little tedious if you weren't prepared. Please don't sign up if you're just going to bail after three rounds.

So with all that said, let's get to the official..

Rules

-Each team will be represented by a poster. Simply post your name and the team you want to sign up. First come first served.
-There will be a pick clock. Going over that clock means you get skipped and I hit the autodraft button in game for you as soon as I'm able.
-The Clock will vary by round, but will be paused from 12-10am est.
-Picks can be traded. You must receive the same amount of picks you give up (ie: if someone offers you their 2nd and 3rd picks for your 1st you have to give up another pick as well to even it out so they still have 25 players at the end).
-Don't be a dick! I would prefer people don't talk about undrafted players because ~strategy~ but I'm not going to do anything about it if you do.

If there's anything else that you think should be added please discuss it here. Whether that's ideas to make this sim longer than just one year, things to help the draft, or things that would make the draft more fun, I'm all ears! Nothing is set in stone until we start the draft. After that, any league settings will not be changed. Quality of life changes may still happen, though.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Draft Document

Teams

Baltimore Orioles - Fair Game
Boston Red Sox - Allan Trammel
New York Yankees - Screen Door Slams
Tampa Bay Rays - Monicro
Toronto Blue Jays - Paul Zuvella

Chicago White Sox - Harlock
Cleveland Indians -
Detroit Tigers - Sexual Lorax
Kansas City Royals - johnfw50
Minnesota Twins - IcePhoenix

Houston Astros - tatonkatonk
Los Angeles Angels - Gorman Thomas
Oakland Athletics - angrygodofjebus
Seattle Mariners - seiferguy
Texas Rangers - Zythrst

Atlanta Braves - The Flying Llama
Miami Marlins - Prozach
New York Mets - Laderhan
Philadelphia Phillies - The Merry Marauder
Washington Nationals - Zodiac 5000

Chicago Cubs - Tadashi
Cincinnati Reds - Politicalrancor
Milwaukee Brewers - Hurriness
Pittsburgh Prates - mentholmoose
St. Louis Cardinals - mynameisjohn

Arizona Diamondbacks - kensei
Colorado Rockies - Pander
Los Angeles Dodgers - CF Balla
San Diego Padres - Infidel Castro
San Francisco Giants - JosephStalinator

Alternates:
Cold Blooded
Professor Funk
Jubs

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 14, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Team Strategy

OOTP offers a lot of options for strategy. Here's some screenshots and additional options not shown

You can change these based on the score and the time of game. Time is sorted by: Innings 1-3, innings 4-6, innings 7-8, innings 9+

Individual players can also have settings that deviate from the team settings. If you want to steal a lot but have a Molina you can tell him to never run, for example. This also lets you mess with your pitchers and turn them into headcases.

You can set your rotation and bullpen here. The full list of roles is in the dropdown under secondary roles. Middle relief you can set to norma, low, or high usage, setup you can set to use no earlier than the 6th, 7th, or 8th innings, and closers you can set to come in no earlier than the 8th, the 8th with outs recorded (that's the 8+ I have set there), or the 9th.

You can set lineups for LHP and RHP, with or without DH

Finally, here's what you can do with your depth chart, for each lineup set separately, with your backups options on when to play listed in the dropdown to the right.

If you don't feel like doing some or any of these, don't worry! I can push a button and have the game automatically set any of these parts, individually. If you care about your LHP w/ DH depth chart and lineup but not your LHP no DH, I can push a button for only the LHP no DH. If you give no fucks about your lineup and depth chart, I can push a button to do all of them. Same with strategy, pitching, and everything else.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 9, 2014

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Count me in for the Seattle Mariners

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

First thing I want to do, also, is thus:

When you pick your team, please vote on if we should institute a league-wide DH or leave it AL only.

Removing the DH from the AL is not an option, gently caress you :colbert:

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
I'll take the Yankees. League-wide DH.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'll do the White Sox, league wide DH please.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

ill be the cardinals: league wide dh

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Phillies, please. AL only.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
As one of SAS's like 3 Rays reps I'll take them, AL Only. Also what about international players for drafting, can I take Bryan Lahair this is important to me

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I'll take the nationals, and the DH should be AL only.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Monicro posted:

As one of SAS's like 3 Rays reps I'll take them, AL Only. Also what about international players for drafting, can I take Bryan Lahair this is important to me

e: nevermind I spelled his name wrong, yes you can.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 8, 2014

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Yessssss Lahair/Wlad power duo unite

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Monicro posted:

Yessssss Lahair/Wlad power duo unite

Don't forgett Manny.

edit- by the way I'm happy to make up numbers for this if you don't fill out quickly.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 8, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I would like to claim the Cubs. I look forward to ruining their franchise worse than Jim Hendry.

I support league-wide DH.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

So long as we don't need to own OOTP, I'll take the Braves. I'd prefer AL only DH.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
I'll be the Mets. League wide DH.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'll take the Indians. Please don't laugh at my horrible picks.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

gently caress someone took the yankees. I still want to kick Monicro's butt so gimme the Blue Jays

e: And DH should be AL only

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Give me the orioles I want to play with the super league owners

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Houston Astros, AL Only

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

I'll take the Royals, league-wide DH.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

is there a list with the updated player ratings in ootp 15? I only have 14 and don't know what the ratings changes are.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I'll take COLORADO

DH is AL ONLY

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Id like be the gm of the Reds, Dh for everyone

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Fine, I will reluctantly choose the Red Sox and self-loathingly defeat all comers

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
I'll take the Dodgers. Also, I'll vote to keep the DH AL only.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I'll do the Brewers, but if you put the DH in the NL I'll have to line the road with IEDs.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Angels - league wide DH please

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

As of this post the following teams are unclaimed:

Detroit Tigers

Oakland Athletics
Texas Rangers

Miami Marlins

Pittsburgh Pirates

Arizona Diamondbacks
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants

And the vote count currently sits at 9 for a league wide DH and 9 for leaving it AL only, with four jerks abstaining.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'll take Arizona since some jerk already took Seattle, and DH or death.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
DH for AL only.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I will take Oakland and DH for the AL only

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

While we wait for the final few teams to fill out, feel free to suggest anything else that might be a fun twist to the league. I'm flexible on everything except the scouting and coaching being off, because having those on will mess up user strategies. I'll add in the possible things that you can tweak to the third post tomorrow.

Things to consider:

Bigger rosters: The game comes with pretty much every player in the minors built in. All the way down to that 26 year old that somehow still has a job in Rookie ball. This would be ideal if people want to sim more than one season or if you want injuries on.

Injuries: That being said, I'm not sure having them on is the best idea. It's fun for leagues but not so much for something like this that isn't intended to be one. But if the people want them, I'm open.

Extra Seasons: as mentioned above, I can do as many seasons as we want, to a reasonable limit. Randomly generated draft picks would start being relevant after a few seasons, and we can't have any of that in our fake simulation.

Different locations: Stadiums can be created, current ones can be edited, etc. If people want to move somewhere else (within reason), go hog wild.

???: Can you come up with something else fun? The power...is YOURS!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

While we wait for the final few teams to fill out, feel free to suggest anything else that might be a fun twist to the league. I'm flexible on everything except the scouting and coaching being off, because having those on will mess up user strategies. I'll add in the possible things that you can tweak to the third post tomorrow.

Things to consider:

Bigger rosters: The game comes with pretty much every player in the minors built in. All the way down to that 26 year old that somehow still has a job in Rookie ball. This would be ideal if people want to sim more than one season or if you want injuries on.

Injuries: That being said, I'm not sure having them on is the best idea. It's fun for leagues but not so much for something like this that isn't intended to be one. But if the people want them, I'm open.

Extra Seasons: as mentioned above, I can do as many seasons as we want, to a reasonable limit. Randomly generated draft picks would start being relevant after a few seasons, and we can't have any of that in our fake simulation.

Different locations: Stadiums can be created, current ones can be edited, etc. If people want to move somewhere else (within reason), go hog wild.

???: Can you come up with something else fun? The power...is YOURS!

Can you leave on preexisting injuries, but turn off new ones?

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
I'll take the Marlins, and DH for all

Juxta
Sep 2, 2002
I'm bad at baseball and would love to rep the Tigers. DH for AL.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I'm game for this, but since the Twins and Brewers are taken, I don't really have a preference for a team.

I guess the San Francisco Giants? Gonna say AL-only DH.

e: Swapped teams, I am taking the San Diego Padres, JosefStalinator is taking the Giants.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 8, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I'll take the SF Giants as next best thing. AL only DH

You the best, infidel castro :hf:

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Oh heck with it then I'll take the Rangers, and vote AL only DH

• Locked thread