Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Nevermind

Popete fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

That was a really hard pick but I don't want to see what will happen in Wrigley if I don't have some strong pitching.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
Hmm. Welp. Guess I just hosed up that pick then :shrug:

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

That Pujols picture is amazing.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Using this thread to publicly apologize for not putting Harper and Puig on the same team

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was wondering when Harper would go.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Seriously, I can't believe he fell that far.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I thought Harper would be 2nd round for sure.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
I was considering Harper for my pick, but I figured the positional scarcity argument pointed towards Beltre.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
I debating between picking Harper and Braun with my pick, but I figured that Braun was the better player right now, so I picked him. If we had been doing more than one year, I would have picked Bryce.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

gently caress. Just like always, the Rays end up with a great couple players.

Popete posted:

I thought Harper would be 2nd round for sure.

In a franchise draft, there's almost no doubt. In this draft, where people want to win now, it's a little bit questionable. I guess Harper might be worth more if we could get our heads around what he'd be worth if he never got injured

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Feel like there are better pitchers than Price

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I'm looking to trade up into the second round if anyone wants like a 3rd and a 7th for a 2nd and a 10th

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Politicalrancor posted:

Feel like there are better pitchers than Price

I'd say with the pitchers drafted already this is pretty debatable at best unless you really really like Matt Harvey, but even if I'm wrong I wanted to keep the draft moving so

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

IcePhoenix posted:

I was considering him as early as my pick (#8), but with the win now aspect of the game and the fact that I had arguably the best player at a rather thin position available, I couldn't pass it up. I think if we were going longer I still take Longoria, but Harper becomes a much more attractive option.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

I was considering him as early as my pick (#8), but with the win now aspect of the game and the fact that I had arguably the best player at a rather thin position available, I couldn't pass it up. I think if we were going longer I still take Longoria, but Harper becomes a much more attractive option.

Keep in mind that if we were going longer injuries would have been turned on.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Keep in mind that if we were going longer injuries would have been turned on.

Exactly why I picked Hanley Ramirez.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Monicro posted:

I'd say with the pitchers drafted already this is pretty debatable at best unless you really really like Matt Harvey, but even if I'm wrong I wanted to keep the draft moving so

I think you meant Nick Punto, as there haven't been any Nick Puntos drafted yet that have the name "Matt Harvey."

Seriously please don't do this poo poo, everyone who hasn't been drafted yet is Nick Punto. It worked great last year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I caught up to where we are now in the draft in OOTP last night and man let me tell you, the next person to get autopicked is going to be really unhappy.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'll pick in a minute. Do I have 4 hours from 10 am?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Technically about three and a half since the last pick was made around 11:30 last night.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Sorry about explicitly naming an undrafted player, but it's my turn in the draft and depending on the answer to this question, he won't be undrafted for long.

I'm assuming Carlos Santana still lists as a catcher despite the attempt to make him a 3b this season?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FairGame posted:

Sorry about explicitly naming an undrafted player, but it's my turn in the draft and depending on the answer to this question, he won't be undrafted for long.

I'm assuming Carlos Santana still lists as a catcher despite the attempt to make him a 3b this season?

As far as I know, yes. Even if he doesn't have a catcher rating he will still have the arm strength and other required stats to make an easy "transition" to the position.

I was hoping people would forget about harvey and he'd fall to me but I guess that plan went out the window last night :(

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

He just seemed to be the best player available. I figure he probably has some untapped potential ability in OOTP, too, so the ceiling could be high even in just one season.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

it sucks that they basically just use PECOTA because Nick Punto will be terrible in the game because they predicted heavy regression

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

mynameisjohn posted:

it sucks that they basically just use PECOTA because Nick Punto will be terrible in the game because they predicted heavy regression

Yeah it can be weird with guys that hit the ground running. I played a significant amount of the 13 one and I had to manually go adjust Trout's stats because it just felt wrong.

Nick Punto is totally this year's Trout.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mynameisjohn posted:

Yeah there was a pretty big outcry against it when it was announced, but the dev team is so small I don't think they really have the time or knowledge to do their own.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah there was a pretty big outcry against it when it was announced, but the dev team is so small I don't think they really have the time or knowledge to do their own.

I think they got some money from BP because, when you load OOTP 15, there's a "Presented by Baseball Prospectus" thing in the bottom right corner that I didn't notice until recently.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

and with regression Nick Punto, Chris Davis, off the board that's who I was talking about. PECOTA has him having a terrible season...they project Punto having a better season.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 13, 2014

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

mynameisjohn posted:

and with regression Nick Punto, Chris Davis, off the board that's who I was talking about. PECOTA has him having a terrible season...they project Punto having a better season.

Well, gently caress. I knew that he was going to probably going to regress a little, but they really think he's going to be that terrible?

Laderhan fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 13, 2014

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

It wouldn't be the first time an Oriole randomly hit 50 home runs in a season and then never came close to repeating it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mynameisjohn posted:

I think OOTP has him with 70 power on the 20-80 scale (this is what I have ratings displayed as, if I can find a place to upload).

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
What's Jeff Mathis' contact/power ratings in 15?

Sorry for breaking the rules, I know all y'all had him going in the 2nd round

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

THE RED MENACE posted:

What's Jeff Mathis' contact/power ratings in 15?

Sorry for breaking the rules, I know all y'all had him going in the 2nd round

I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole, sorry.

e: as in, as soon as I start answering specific ratings questions everyone will want them before they pick. Like I said, ratings are a pretty close reflection of real life. The only advantage I (and others) really have by having the game is being able to draft a team with better knowledge of how the game mechanics work. But knowledge of the mechanics won't save me over a full season if my team isn't as good as yours.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 13, 2014

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Obviously the best choice is Nick Punto. His heart, grittiness, and hustle are so great that no projection system can underrate him.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Laderhan posted:

Well, gently caress. I knew that he was going to probably going to regress a little, but they really think he's going to be that terrible?
they have him hitting 32 home runs, but only batting .260/.324 and striking out 180 times, making him the 120th best outfield player WARP-wise.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole, sorry.

e: as in, as soon as I start answering specific ratings questions everyone will want them before they pick. Like I said, ratings are a pretty close reflection of real life. The only advantage I (and others) really have by having the game is being able to draft a team with better knowledge of how the game mechanics work. But knowledge of the mechanics won't save me over a full season if my team isn't as good as yours.

I agree that OOTP 15's ratings are pretty much in line with players' reputations. Since the engine can be crazy, you could draft Mike Trout and his ratings could start to tank a month into the season, anyway. That's what makes this sim fun to me.

Also, to me, this is about drafting the best team and then OOTP will make its own judgement. We're all baseball fans here (I think) and it will be fun to look at all the teams when they're done and see who looks good and who looks like poo poo.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 13, 2014

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Yeah I think i'm just going to draft a team I really like and hope the sim isn't going to be a hater.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zythrst posted:

Yeah I think i'm just going to draft a team I really like and hope the sim isn't going to be a hater.

Call them the Scrap Heap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zythrst posted:

You're doing it right.

• Locked thread