Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I would like to claim the Cubs. I look forward to ruining their franchise worse than Jim Hendry.

I support league-wide DH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

While we wait for the final few teams to fill out, feel free to suggest anything else that might be a fun twist to the league. I'm flexible on everything except the scouting and coaching being off, because having those on will mess up user strategies. I'll add in the possible things that you can tweak to the third post tomorrow.

Things to consider:

Bigger rosters: The game comes with pretty much every player in the minors built in. All the way down to that 26 year old that somehow still has a job in Rookie ball. This would be ideal if people want to sim more than one season or if you want injuries on.

Injuries: That being said, I'm not sure having them on is the best idea. It's fun for leagues but not so much for something like this that isn't intended to be one. But if the people want them, I'm open.

Extra Seasons: as mentioned above, I can do as many seasons as we want, to a reasonable limit. Randomly generated draft picks would start being relevant after a few seasons, and we can't have any of that in our fake simulation.

Different locations: Stadiums can be created, current ones can be edited, etc. If people want to move somewhere else (within reason), go hog wild.

???: Can you come up with something else fun? The power...is YOURS!

I would like injuries turned off since it wouldn't be as much fun and no moving stadiums. If we don't have injuries on, then we shouldn't need extra roster spots. The only problem I can think of is if someone drafts a starting pitcher and OOTP is convinced he's a reliever (in which case I think you could just go in and add a few points to his stamina or whatever you need to do).

If you understand OOTP's mechanics, there is a pretty easy way to exploit large stadiums so I am very much against moving stadiums.

I don't mind simming an extra few seasons after the initial one just for fun but the players we draft might be very different after about 5 seasons so I'm more interested in the immediate results.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 8, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Read the OP thanks and god bless.

I like resetting injuries because Matt Harvey.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think we can all agree that, if we owned teams, we'd be in favor of sacrificing some of our absurd profits in order to win more games.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

It may sound like IcePhoenix is being a sperglord but it really helps things if the draft thread is clean so people don't get picks lost in the shuffle of comments.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pander, post picks here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633044

We're off to a great start.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Has someone PM'd HAL9001?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Prozach posted:

Looks like you autodrafted Stanton in the Draft thread.

I mean, Stanton's cool, but yeah you missed out.

The one good thing about being auto'd may be that, when it comes time to sim, you'll have the player ootp thinks is the best talent.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I can't believe Posey lasted as long as he did. I guess some people have a thing against catchers since they don't play "every day".

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Where did we land when it comes to DH in the NL?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Gomez has like a 100 outfield range rating in the version of OOTP 15 I just opened up. I don't know if the game rolls ratings every time you start a new game or if IcePhoenix and I have the same version but I just thought that was kind of cool.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

That was a really hard pick but I don't want to see what will happen in Wrigley if I don't have some strong pitching.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

gently caress. Just like always, the Rays end up with a great couple players.

Popete posted:

I thought Harper would be 2nd round for sure.

In a franchise draft, there's almost no doubt. In this draft, where people want to win now, it's a little bit questionable. I guess Harper might be worth more if we could get our heads around what he'd be worth if he never got injured

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'll pick in a minute. Do I have 4 hours from 10 am?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

He just seemed to be the best player available. I figure he probably has some untapped potential ability in OOTP, too, so the ceiling could be high even in just one season.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah there was a pretty big outcry against it when it was announced, but the dev team is so small I don't think they really have the time or knowledge to do their own.

I think they got some money from BP because, when you load OOTP 15, there's a "Presented by Baseball Prospectus" thing in the bottom right corner that I didn't notice until recently.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not going to go down that rabbit hole, sorry.

e: as in, as soon as I start answering specific ratings questions everyone will want them before they pick. Like I said, ratings are a pretty close reflection of real life. The only advantage I (and others) really have by having the game is being able to draft a team with better knowledge of how the game mechanics work. But knowledge of the mechanics won't save me over a full season if my team isn't as good as yours.

I agree that OOTP 15's ratings are pretty much in line with players' reputations. Since the engine can be crazy, you could draft Mike Trout and his ratings could start to tank a month into the season, anyway. That's what makes this sim fun to me.

Also, to me, this is about drafting the best team and then OOTP will make its own judgement. We're all baseball fans here (I think) and it will be fun to look at all the teams when they're done and see who looks good and who looks like poo poo.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 13, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

THE RED MENACE posted:

gently caress I was hoping Iwakuma would drop to the 3rd

I think there are better players available but a good pitching staff in Miami is probably not a bad idea.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

mynameisjohn posted:

PECOTA has him as the 4th highest WARP :smugmrgw:

PECOTA and some other projection engines really bought into what he was doing last season.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

OOTP uses pitcher stamina and running speed for position players to hilarious ends in its evaluations. I can't wait to see which Punto it picks.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

loving Donaldson :argh:

I really didn't think he'd slide 50-whatever picks to me but I really wanted him.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Monicro posted:

Yo if you can please keep the already drafted players tabs updated, if we dont its gonna be really annoying when we get to like round 19 or w/e

Should we just type in our own picks when we make them to make it easier on you, IcePhoenix?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Waiting for the draft to come back around is killing me. So many players I want coming off the board.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I like the Kipnis pick, and Perez is pretty solid as well. It's a little bit of a reach but I think when you're bookending a draft with this many teams sometimes you don't have a choice if there's someone you really like.

Two hours might be a little short after five rounds but we could maybe make it three.

I agree. I think the middle rounds will be where teams are made or broken since that's where the real strategy will kick in and it might not just be about picking the best player available.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

mynameisjohn posted:

drafting Kipnis above him was :psyduck:

Kipnis was a bad-rear end last season. It's hard to evaluate what Utley would be like without injuries because it just feels like he's always dealing with them. A couple projection systems projected Utley and Kipnis to be very similar this season in terms of their averages. I think of Utley as the far superior defender but I don't know if that's still the case with his age.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mornacale posted:

Gerrit Cole is a big reach here, though OOTP might bail you out.

He's got some upside. Sometimes young players grow out really quickly in OOTP but, if not, he might be a little above average.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Cubs would like to draft really soon. If you are scheduled to pick soon and would like to swap picks similar to what Minnesota and St. Louis did, PM me.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Zodiac5000 posted:

I admit, you guys are way more entertained/interested in calling undrafted players Nick Punto that I expected. I don't totally understand, but if it works I guess. I'll try to remember to do that in the future.

It was a gimmick that showed up kind of spontaneously the first time this kind of a draft happened. People couldn't help themselves from talking about players so Punto became the placeholder for every player's name.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mr. Cool rear end posted:

I'm going to draft Drew Butera.

As a reliever?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

A trade

Seattle trades the following picks to Chicago Cubs
Round 3
Round 8
Round 10
Round 12

Chicago Cubs trade the following picks to Seattle

Round 3
Round 8
Round 10
Round 12

I'm going to go ahead and pick and seiferguy should confirm soon.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 16, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

mynameisjohn posted:

Pablo Sandoval was the next player on my board and a great pick. He and Zimmerman are almost identical (for me and Pecota) but Sandoval is so much chiller

I'm really glad I made that trade, then. He was a big target :downsrim: for me.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete/Cleveland has about an hour I think since Milwaukee drafted after the clock stopped last night.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I just edited my pick so hopefully nobody saw my Punto before I changed him to Napoli.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I was wondering when the super two guys would start going. I think its a bit early but maybe it will pay off!

There's at least one Punto I'd love to get if he falls far enough because I think he'd make a decent bench bat even though he's never played in MLB.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Laderhan posted:

I know he sucks at walking, but he is a great hitter and excellent defender.

He got his gold gloves because he's famous and hits well, just FYI.

The reason he fell this far is because of his glove. He's probably a good pickup this far down, though.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Yeah, the Tigers are up right now. Their clock doesn't expire until after 8pm Eastern, though.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mornacale posted:

There's a dude on the board that has already fallen far enough that I expect him to be the best value in the entire draft.

e: In real baseball, I don't know or care about OOTP.

e2: Miguel Sano is a Real Bad Draft Pick no offense

Yeah, I was hoping to pick him up as a bench bat. I think OOTP think his power is MLB ready but he's going to hit like Mike Olt has this season.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Sometimes you have to throw your draft plan out the window and take the BPA.

I thought about taking him over Napoli because of "my plan" but I thought Napoli might be a slightly better defender and is also right-handed so I dunno.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Most drafts I've been in, it's been ok to change as long as the next person hasn't picked which is why I swapped mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mr. Cool rear end posted:

Well they've only played 5 games in NL parks, so that's a pretty good percentage! But realistically, Martinez is a bad catcher and a good first baseman, so I think you'll see more of Cabrera moving to third than Martinez catching in the future.

You could stick him at catcher and it's a reasonable move so it's enough for me. He will be terrible defensively but you'd expect he'd be a pretty good to really good offensive catcher.

• Locked thread