Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Covski posted:

So I think this was asked before but didn't get an answer: Are there any good replays/commentaries of this game on YouTube?

I don't feel like shelling out €30 on this right now, but it'd be great to watch some gameplay of this. The only one I've seen so far is the SergiuHellDragoonHQ guy, but something about his accent makes it hard for me to watch for some reason :(

The official Age of Empire twitch feed does some irregular streaming of the various age games. There's not a lot of AoM videos yet, but they'll build up over time.

http://www.twitch.tv/ageofempires/c/4241650

They also have a youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/officialageofempires

Quality of commentary is going to vary quite a bit depending on who is playing/commenting, but it's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Cheers guys, this will do great for insomnia purposes!

The question now is whether watching people playing this will tide me over until I can afford this or make me buy the game. :sigh:

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I just realized that the scorpion dude unit was probably made because someone watched the Mummy Returns a year ago back when they were making the game in 2002
They're from mythology, just not Egyptian mythology. Which fits right in with the Egyptians having the leviathan and Atlanteans getting the behemoth, I guess.

I will admit that doesn't preclude your theory entirely. It could be a bit of columns A and B.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The campaign occasionally pulls a bunch of dick moves on higher difficulties and , I'm playing through on Titan now, here are some helpful tips about a few surprises/non-intuitive things, I'll update as I get further along(currently playing Scratching the Surface):

Fall of the Trident

Omens
Fresh from the tutorial campaign you immediately get a non-standard mission, thanks devs. Good news is that they also demonstrate something critically important in later missions: Have multiple of each production structure. You also get way more farms than you have villagers at the start, showing you that you need to build more of those as well. Enemies come at you in three kinds, in order of danger:
-Boats that plink at your shore based troops for pitiful damage
-Krakens that will smash your docks and troops too close to the shore, unless tanked by a hero
-Boats with a little red flag on their bowsprit that will disembark a pile of troops

You start with a kraken right there and a toxotes within his reach. You have about a second from the beginning of the scenario to order him to safety or he will get oneshotted. Do so and start making villagers. Send Arkantos to beat up the Kraken. You will get assaulted by several increasingly powerful waves of enemies from now, the timer for which will start once the last enemy of the previous wave is dead. After a while you should get attacked by a lone pirate ship. Do not kill this one. Instead, let him shoot your harbour for 2-3 damage per shot and use this time to build up your economy and research all your technology.

Build towers on the eastern tip of the coast once you reach your pop cap worth of soldiers, enough of them and they will sink most invading ships before they can unload their troops. For force composition I usually go with a control group's worth of toxotes and using a few centaurs as tanks, combined with towers sinking the landing parties and stretching out the waves to replace your losses, this should get you through 90% of the level.

The AI has one very nasty surprise waiting for you right before the last wave, a lightning storm god power that it will cast on the centre of your line so make sure all of your troops are not at the docks but near their production structures. At this point you'll get a locust swarm on your town center as well but by now your econ shouldn't matter any more.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
The big thing to remember about the campaign: All the story heroes are immortal; if they die, they'll just be on the ground for a bit and will stand up about ~10 seconds later (assuming you have living units nearby; if you don't, they stand up the next time you do). This goes so far as to apply to transport ships; if a hero is in a transport ship and it sinks, they'll just sort of appear where they were when it set off.

So feel free to do really reckless poo poo with them like having them take on a 20-man axeman squad by themselves to buy time for villagers to garrison in a tower or something.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

President Ark posted:

The big thing to remember about the campaign: All the story heroes are immortal; if they die, they'll just be on the ground for a bit and will stand up about ~10 seconds later (assuming you have living units nearby; if you don't, they stand up the next time you do). This goes so far as to apply to transport ships; if a hero is in a transport ship and it sinks, they'll just sort of appear where they were when it set off.

So feel free to do really reckless poo poo with them like having them take on a 20-man axeman squad by themselves to buy time for villagers to garrison in a tower or something.
Not 100% guaranteed, sometimes you get one of the regular ones in addition to the plot squad and they can die and have to be replaced, see: Atalanta and Hippolyta in the first mission.

Speaking of campaign missions:

Consequences
Start by sending your toxotes to the shore and call back your southern two ships. Why? Because you're getting hit with a serpent plague god power 5 seconds into the game. Send your scout slightly to the east until an enemy tower 3 meters into the fog of war from your town starts shooting at you. Send Arkantos there to kill it and send your scout south to secure all the pigs there. You start with tons of food so go to the next age immediately. Send your transport around the north side of the island to get some free wood and gold. Next, take all your troops to the south east and kill off the spearmen and a catapult there. Now wall off the south coast in such a way that the trees and gold mine are on "your" side of the wall. Now, send all your troops north, kill a second group of spearmen and scout around a bit until you see a valley heading south east. The hill that had the tower on it has a southern exit, wall that off too. Now the enemy can only come at you through the pass, the north east coast(they never will) and by sea. Train up a small fleet(attacks will come in groups of 4) and build a gauntlet of towers and archers for the land based attackers.

At this point it is safe to travel around the map with Arkantos, luring out the defenders of the enemy base(they will chase you forever and the AI will never rebuild them). The AI is also incapable of rebuilding any of their production structures so after the AI wastes it's troops on your tower gauntlet you can counterattack and any damage or destruction you cause will be permanent. Of course this is titan difficulty and the AI will cheat at god powers again, this time with a second serpent plague once you attack the town center. After you destroy it, a bunch of myth units will spawn in as well.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

Not 100% guaranteed, sometimes you get one of the regular ones in addition to the plot squad and they can die and have to be replaced, see: Atalanta and Hippolyta in the first mission.

It's story heroes that are immortal - anyone with a speaking part in cutscenes, basically.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I played the original/Titans canpaigns but not on anything like Titan difficulty. I was young and foolish. I don't know anything at all about the balance, strategy, or anything of the game. Are there any good summaries? Like I played a bunch of SC2 and AoE3 online so I know the basic ideas. Is AoM a game where you can kinda do whatever you want and just mess around to try to win or is more like SC2 where if you don't have a tight opening and well executed plans throughout you die easily?

edit: I loved the early part of the Arkantos campaign. Like the part where they are discussing building the trojan horse and odysseus is all into it and ajax is like "i don't understand...will it fight??" and everyone just looks disgusted in blocky 2002 graphics.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I played the original/Titans canpaigns but not on anything like Titan difficulty. I was young and foolish. I don't know anything at all about the balance, strategy, or anything of the game. Are there any good summaries? Like I played a bunch of SC2 and AoE3 online so I know the basic ideas. Is AoM a game where you can kinda do whatever you want and just mess around to try to win or is more like SC2 where if you don't have a tight opening and well executed plans throughout you die easily?

edit: I loved the early part of the Arkantos campaign. Like the part where they are discussing building the trojan horse and odysseus is all into it and ajax is like "i don't understand...will it fight??" and everyone just looks disgusted in blocky 2002 graphics.

All you really need to know is that it's an Age game and that means economy is king. Never stop building villagers until you have some absurd number of them.

When it comes to strategy, it really depends on your civilization and god choices, all I can suggest is looking for a wiki breakdown or something because I can barely remember what they are anymore.

In general, Greece is the slow building military juggernaught. They tend to have the strongest units (but pricey) and can generate favor just by tasking villagers on temples. Powerful, but takes them a little while to get rolling. They can build unique named heroes that are limited in number but quite strong against anything.

Norse are the aggressive raiding/rushing faction. They gain favor through fighting and should always be attacking early. Their hero unit (Hessirs) is spammable but not especially strong. Loki in particular specializes in hero rushing due to their unique ability to randomly summon Myth Units in combat.

Egypt is your economic boom/spammy faction. A mix of super cheap and very expensive units and lots of economic boons and upgrades. They gain favor by building special buildings, each more expensive then the last. Their hero unit is the Priest, cheap and useful for support but only effective in combat against myth units.

Atlanteans are...weird. Sorta like Greek 2.0 in terms of being expensive but powerful. They have ridiculously useful villagers that don't need supply points and their counter-units tend to be stronger then their mainline units. They gain favor by building Town Centers and can upgrade any unit to be a hero. Does all of that seem really convenient? It is, it totally is. Atlanteans are by far the easiest faction to play outside a few minor quirks but a bad way to learn the game with any other faction.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When I played I used to just go Egypt and spam infinite anubites because they only cost favor and food.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Atlanteans have issues fighting against myth units that can instakill things (medusae, mummies, etc) because their armies are that much smaller and more power is concentrated in fewer units. It's just rare you're going to see that in the campaign or against AI.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

OwlFancier posted:

When I played I used to just go Egypt and spam infinite anubites because they only cost favor and food.

Doesn't Egypt have a finite favor gain since they can only get favor from monuments and they can only build four monuments?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Doesn't Egypt have a finite favor gain since they can only get favor from monuments and they can only build four monuments?

Yes, but so does everyone except the Norse - the Greek worship peters out sometime around 25 worshippers and they need to use population on it, and the Atlanteans are even more limited than egyptians in that they're dependent on map layout and control. IIRC Egypt also gets a couple favor-boosting upgrades and you might be able to have the Pharaoh empower the final monument for more favor if you're desperate.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can you get around the Greek worship limit by building a second temple? I know that would be an extreme use of villagers but at this point it's just curiosity. It's been forever since I played.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Can you get around the Greek worship limit by building a second temple? I know that would be an extreme use of villagers but at this point it's just curiosity. It's been forever since I played.

I don't believe so, and if you're spending that much on favor and spending it as it's coming in you're running into the issue of having too much of your army be weak to heroes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

They do, but as stated, most of them have somewhat limited favor gain. Favor also isn't generally a huge bottleneck for cheap myth units. Egypt is actually a quite good faction for favor production, because while they only get it from monuments, they get it constantly, so you're free to use your villagers for the rest of your economy.

Essentially you can set up enough food production that you can churn out constant amounts of anubites which are pretty tough and versatile for being effectively free. Aside from hero units they'll fare pretty well in a fight and make decent harassers with their numbers.

Probably won't win you the game but it's a fun thing to do with Egypt. Also a big contrast to the Greek colossus style of myth unit, capable of rendering entire chunks of map completely barren with just a few built and deployed in battle.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 16, 2014

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
It sort of annoys me that the a lot of the Egyptian myth units aren't really based on an actual mythological creature in the way the other civs are or are taken off of pretty different mythological traditions (i.e. rocs, leviathans), also, why the hell isn't this thing one of their choices?!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

khwarezm posted:

It sort of annoys me that the a lot of the Egyptian myth units aren't really based on an actual mythological creature in the way the other civs are or are taken off of pretty different mythological traditions (i.e. rocs, leviathans), also, why the hell isn't this thing one of their choices?!

I dunno, I think Laser Gator is pretty cool though.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

FutonForensic posted:

I dunno, I think Laser Gator is pretty cool though.

To be fair I think that's based off an actual crocodile that they would cover in jewellry and keep in Crocodilopolis so that gets a pass from me.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
This game really owns but I think I will wait for a sale. That way I can get it for cheap as well as get it when a bunch of new people will also get it...so I don't need to only play against people who played the original release.
I liked a lot of the set piece campaign missions, like sneaking through Troy, or that one with the son of Osiris summon.
And yeah Atlanteans suck and are overpowered. Having someone else like an Asian culture would have been cooler. Oh well.
I only ever played the campaign and only on like normal and below so I don't really know the real strengths of the civs and gods. I do like the idea of early aggression from a guy like Loki. Didn't Kronos also have some kind of stupid overpowered rush? I can see deconstruct being really annoying early on with multiple uses.

edit: odin also looks real good, somethin like odin -> freyja -> skadi -> tyr? or loki -> forseti -> whatever.

WAMPA_STOMPA fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 16, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

This game really owns but I think I will wait for a sale. That way I can get it for cheap as well as get it when a bunch of new people will also get it...so I don't need to only play against people who played the original release.
I liked a lot of the set piece campaign missions, like sneaking through Troy, or that one with the son of Osiris summon.
And yeah Atlanteans suck and are overpowered. Having someone else like an Asian culture would have been cooler. Oh well.
I only ever played the campaign and only on like normal and below so I don't really know the real strengths of the civs and gods. I do like the idea of early aggression from a guy like Loki. Didn't Kronos also have some kind of stupid overpowered rush? I can see deconstruct being really annoying early on with multiple uses.

edit: odin also looks real good, somethin like odin -> freyja -> skadi -> tyr? or loki -> forseti -> whatever.

All of the Norse Gods are pretty close to equally good. Loki has his Hessir rush, Thor gives you the improved armory and Dwarf trickery, (You can use Dwarves to jumpstart your economy, since you only need food to age up at first.) and Odin is just an all around solid choice. The two Ravens are amazingly useful.

Age of Mythology was my first online RTS game. Back in the day my two favorite things to do were Loki rushes or going Thor and building just enough dudes to not make them suspicious while secretly pumping out a million villagers and getting all the armory techs.

1. Cast Ragnarok.
2. Use Vast Army of Massively Upgraded Super-Heroes to pump out a Titan in like two minutes.
3. Opponent concedes.

It's a gimmick tactic all the way down but so much fun to pull off.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

You forgot cast flaming weapons :black101:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The competitive side of the game considers Odin to be the worst god in the game sadly.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Asehujiko - Heavengames actually has a really thorough guide to the Vanilla campaigns, including labeled graphics. Very useful:

Sadly the Titans campaign guide is of a lower quality.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I picked up the forgotten expansion for hd and I just want to say that the alaric campaign feels properly :black101:.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Just noticed an... interesting easter egg.

At the very end of the norse mission where you're recruiting the 3 cities and completing the final objective to rescue the last Hersir's daughter, you have about a second between freeing her and the mission ending. If you select her in that time, you can see she has one garrison slot... :quagmire: :heysexy:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Alright, I'm kind of new to this. How do I counter Oranos/Kronos rush as Egypt? Them automatons and Prometheons and Turmas are driving me crazy.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Rise of Nations is coming as well.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

James The 1st posted:

Source?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/287450/ ?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Yeah, the page for RoN went up a couple of hours ago. :) I hope they do it justice in updating it.

Also I was craftin' some trading cards on Steam and had a -50% coupon drop for Age of Mythology. Of course I bought the game right afterwards. :3: It's downloading now, can't wait to see what they've done with it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

James The 1st posted:

Oh my god yessss :fap:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Oh my god yessss :fap:

Quoting this forever

I hope its still moddable, my friend did some really cool mods to RoN that slowed the pace of the game down and gave the AI big bonuses, made for surprisingly challenging coop matches that felt slower paced, more 'civ like', sort of SoaSE civ style.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Meh. I feel like the only person who could never get into RoN or got what was so great about it. :raise:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

:siren:

I admit I honestly enjoyed RON more than any of the Age games.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Same here, RON rules and was great for LAN play. Maybe it's because we had a guy who refused to play "meat-hauling games" but RON ended up being a favorite.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Rise of Nations rules, though I think it can go a little fast. If there's an option to slow down the research and production and whatnot this will be awesome.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I am both glad and not about this. Same thing with Age of Mythology. It's good that the old games are there for those who didn't have it. But I own the CD versions. Assuming I wanted to play multi, I'd have to buy the games again.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Beta version of the Unofficial AoE1 HD patch. Exactly what everyone needs!
http://www.moddb.com/mods/upatch-hd

Full documentation (they'll start a survey about game balance):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a6rpv2O4CVl_XhPC1yOUFhJM_Cz5v9cu1Rn9CHG5Yio/pub

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Rise of Nations rules, though I think it can go a little fast. If there's an option to slow down the research and production and whatnot this will be awesome.

It's more like, the game's full of adjustable options such as making everything more expensive, but the Nation bonuses don't scale with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Bloodly posted:

I am both glad and not about this. Same thing with Age of Mythology. It's good that the old games are there for those who didn't have it. But I own the CD versions. Assuming I wanted to play multi, I'd have to buy the games again.

So many years after the original releases, compatibility improvements, widescreen and Steam multiplayer integration make it worth it.

• Locked thread