Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
It's also worth mentioning that picking Kronos as your god for Atlantis also lets you teleport buildings for a fee and a longish cast time. This isn't a true god power and you can do it as much as you want, although only one building can be in the process of teleporting at a time.

Also certain 4th-age gods can only be picked if you're one major god in particular - you can only take Hera if you're Zeus and only take Hel if you're Loki. The latter one is really loving important because the Norse get a bunch of really good giant myth units at various points/from various gods and picking Hel lets you build all of them no matter what.

e: The AoM campaign is mostly good fun but the last couple missions of the Greek campaign kinda drag on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Orv posted:

Yeah I didn't add in all the "Cool poo poo Major Gods allow" because I was going slowly insane. I'll do that tomorrow along with Minor Gods and who can pick what. Minor God segregation actually starts as early as Classical, in fact.

That's cool. To help, here's the extra major god perks I can remember offhand:

- Zeus: Higher Favor cap (others can only hold 100, he can hold 200)
- Thor: Dwarves don't suffer gathering non-gold resources, can build a special armory in age 1 (everyone else needs age 2), can research all the armory upgrades at any point, and has an extra tier of upgrades. The first thing with the dwarves lets him get to age 2 superfast because that only costs food and he doesn't have to spend any to get his economy running.
- Ra: Priests can also empower (but are not as good as the Pharaoh)
- Set: Priests can convert neutral animals into units
- Kronos: Building teleportation
- Oranos: Can build a building (whose name escapes me :v:) which lets you teleport units around, like the Nydus canals/worms/whatever from the Starcraft games.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Defeatist Elitist posted:

It's funny, for a couple months before I found out this was a thing, I had been dreaming about an Age of Mythology 2 with (almost completely arbitrarily) Japanese mythology, Vedic mythology, and Coast Salish mythology. We just need more factions.

Aztec, Japanese, and R'lyeh for a cthulhu civilization. :cthulhu:

Aztec gains faith by sacrificing either villagers or enemy captives certain units can generate. R'lyeh gets it when their myth units do poo poo and have no heroes because what hero would ally themselves with such terrible things?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

The big thing to remember about the campaign: All the story heroes are immortal; if they die, they'll just be on the ground for a bit and will stand up about ~10 seconds later (assuming you have living units nearby; if you don't, they stand up the next time you do). This goes so far as to apply to transport ships; if a hero is in a transport ship and it sinks, they'll just sort of appear where they were when it set off.

So feel free to do really reckless poo poo with them like having them take on a 20-man axeman squad by themselves to buy time for villagers to garrison in a tower or something.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

Not 100% guaranteed, sometimes you get one of the regular ones in addition to the plot squad and they can die and have to be replaced, see: Atalanta and Hippolyta in the first mission.

It's story heroes that are immortal - anyone with a speaking part in cutscenes, basically.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Atlanteans have issues fighting against myth units that can instakill things (medusae, mummies, etc) because their armies are that much smaller and more power is concentrated in fewer units. It's just rare you're going to see that in the campaign or against AI.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Doesn't Egypt have a finite favor gain since they can only get favor from monuments and they can only build four monuments?

Yes, but so does everyone except the Norse - the Greek worship peters out sometime around 25 worshippers and they need to use population on it, and the Atlanteans are even more limited than egyptians in that they're dependent on map layout and control. IIRC Egypt also gets a couple favor-boosting upgrades and you might be able to have the Pharaoh empower the final monument for more favor if you're desperate.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Can you get around the Greek worship limit by building a second temple? I know that would be an extreme use of villagers but at this point it's just curiosity. It's been forever since I played.

I don't believe so, and if you're spending that much on favor and spending it as it's coming in you're running into the issue of having too much of your army be weak to heroes.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Just noticed an... interesting easter egg.

At the very end of the norse mission where you're recruiting the 3 cities and completing the final objective to rescue the last Hersir's daughter, you have about a second between freeing her and the mission ending. If you select her in that time, you can see she has one garrison slot... :quagmire: :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Seems like the best thread to mention, but I just saw and it didn't seem like anyone mentioned it: sometime in June, Rise of Nations: Extended Edition, on Steam. $15.99 until release, $19.99 at release, it's a steal at that prerelease discount.

This is literally what we've been talking about for the last page.

• Locked thread