Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
The original four FE campaigns were adapted user-made content; this explains a lot of their design choices. I dunno about the two free ones though.

With AoM I've noticed that the Skybox team is being a lot more aggressive about UI changes, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
It rather makes you wish that ES still existed as an organization so they could get whoever was designer on the old campaigns to flavour the new ones the same way.

ES's stuff from Joan of Arc onwards had a particular feel, all the way until AoE3: TAD - a certain set of expectations of how players respond to terrain cues, message prompts, etc.

With AoM Skybox has dispensed with adding any campaigns entirely. They apparently have scenarios though?

ronya fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 8, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Babyface Mingo posted:

ISIS HEAR MY PLEA

pumped for aom ee, gonna be buying it tomorrow.

why not today? 20% discount whilst it's still a pre-order. You have a few hours left.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
one of the reasons I remember the post-ES-breakup interviews mentioning about Microsoft was that the patches were so infrequent because the publisher - that is, Microsoft - demanded that the patches be put through a crazily rigorous set of hardware compatibility testing

which is why you could find AoE/AoK/AoM patches on download.microsoft.com

on the other hand, it also meant that ES couldn't get patches out for months

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Zeus OP.

For players from AoK, a point to note is that the fact that all human military units cost gold is very very important - games basically revolve around gold mine control.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I sometimes they wish they went all-out with the GPs and gamechanging civ bonuses. Like, Kronos can teleport one building at a time. Why only one? Why limit the gimmick, instead of placing a disadvantage on some other area - e.g., building HP?

They also made Titans less destructive than originally envisioned - they were supposed to cast god powers at some point. I guess maps would have to be a lot bigger for this to work.

e: without an equivalent to JASS and custom units/abilities, the AoM scenario editor is interesting but not really Blizzard-tier. eh. Still fun, but you can't get things like whole game genres springing out of them.

ronya fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 8, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I wonder whether it'd be possible to recreate RTSes in the DotA2 engine.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
we might see more traditional RTS, but they won't be big-budget AAA affairs, I think

more "hmm, we can still get interest out of recycling old art assets and engines"

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Tch, Skybox didn't bother to make a dedicated 16:9 or 16:10 UI arrangement. There's a huge visible margin but the stuff that should go in corners - Titan completion % text, Wonder years, etc. - don't go in the margin

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
9392 ingame, though. Nice.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
10,000 now!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Asehujiko posted:

The fuckers removed the encyclopedia.

wait what? For real, or did they just remove the main menu button to it?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

khwarezm posted:

Phew, Titan difficulty is far more challenging than I remember, the AI is kicking my rear end on the fifth campaign.

the Titans campaigns on Titan difficulty are murderous, as I recall

Golden Gift is pretty tough too, but you can cheese it

the vanilla campaign on Titan is easier though

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

khwarezm posted:

I remember the Titans campaign had an utterly bizarre difficulty curve, when I went through them the second mission completely broke me and I had to notch down the difficulty to hard, but then I was able to fly through all of the later missions Scot free on titan. Vanilla feels tougher than it was, maybe things have been tweaked with the re-release, or maybe my experience for AOE2 doesn't carry over as well as I hoped!

abuse your heroes, they're crazy powerful. Titans is hard partially because Kastor sucks.

the second mission, well, the AI just doesn't know how to deal with arcus + walls, which is the only meatshield you can afford before the first couple of waves. Once you get up and running you can smash his face in though.

also: heroes chew up automatons for breakfast.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Shima Honnou posted:

Been having some technical issues with AoM. It chugs periodically (Sometimes stalling out for up to 20 seconds), which on its own is bad enough, but I just had a crash and it spat out some kind of memory error. Anyone else having similar issues? I'm on a Win7 machine with like 16gb of RAM.

verify integrity of game cache?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I didn't wind up putting down $23 for the game, so can anyone who did check whether the game folder has *.AHK files in it, like Age of Empires 2 HD does?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Excellent, they've learned how to do source control.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Bloodly posted:

Can you explain what the importance of AHK files is?

they're autohotkey files used for debugging that are included with Age2HD, along with some some developer ingame user profile debris. The AHK files are pointless to run because they attempt to load scenarios from an X:\ drive which the user doesn't have, but they're on the release build because reasons. Also, logging is turned on all the time.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
there are decade-old oneclick desync tools floating about the Internet

unfortunately they can't do anything about it given a p2p hosting model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Asehujiko - Heavengames actually has a really thorough guide to the Vanilla campaigns, including labeled graphics. Very useful:

Sadly the Titans campaign guide is of a lower quality.

• Locked thread