Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zopotantor posted:

Turkish wrestling, you say?

Wait...what's he doing with his hands :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

duckmaster posted:

Huh, my cool story isn't nearly as cool now I know theres thousands of youtube videos of the same thing.

I probably shouldn't have told you anyway. I'm pretty sure I have to kill you now :(

I still think it's cool, cos I was an Air Cadet too, and i didnt get to do anything near as awesome as that!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

The last surviving Avro Vulcan, part of the RAF's nuclear deterrent during the Cold War, is carrying out it's last flights in the UK at the moment. She's doing flights over a lot of the country so as many people as possible get to see her (They've had to ask people to stop coming to see her take off, since so many people were turning up it was getting dangerous).

They had some pretty powerful engines on them, famous for being...rather loud while taking off. One of my earliest memories is sitting strapped into a pushchair at an airshow (with ear defenders on) going into hysterics as one took off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzdtYU7i_jY

This gives a fairly good idea of what they sound like. Though apparently once they were flying they were pretty quiet. The only time they were used in anger, bombing Port Stanley airport during the Falklands (which was a bloody badass thing in their own right https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck) the Argentinians apparently thought it was some kind of missile attack.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

My mum took this photo at her school in the 70's, and found it earlier today.

That's Darth Vader.

Apparently he was a really nice guy, and absolutely no kids misbehaved when he was there.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Heartwarming follow-up - the gentleman in question is a recent and undocumented immigrant to France from Mali named Mamoudou Gassama. He was invited to meet with President Emmanuel Marcon shortly after this video emerged, and during that meeting Marcon praised Gassama for his bravery and offered to put him on a fast track for French citizenship.

http://www.france24.com/en/20180528-france-macron-hero-malian-rescue-child-french-citizenship

More than that, from what I've been seen. He's been straight up granted citizenship, and offered a job in the fire brigade.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I once saw an SR71 take off at dusk with afterburners on (after an air show in Norfolk) and it was one of the most awesome aviation sights I’ve seen.
drat. That's awesome.

One of my earliest memories (though I might have made it up in my head, though my parents have confirmed it happened) was being at an airshow, in a pushchair, next to an Avro Vulcan taking off.

Had ear defenders on, went into hysterics. Those things were incredible.

Not all too stealthy, mind. Though apparently when they bombed Port Stanley airfield during the Falklands the Argentinians thought it was some sort of missile attack since they couldn't work out where the bombs were coming from, and there was nowhere for the Brits to have sent bombers from (they flew over 12000km from the Ascension Islands to do it)

Edit: for reference. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YzdtYU7i_jY
Our Brit planes might not be as impressive as stuff like the SR71 but between this and the spitfire we do make nice sounding aircraft.

Roblo has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Nov 17, 2018

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Dave Grool posted:

Goddammit don't milkshake duck Maiden for me

I found this out yesterday too, pretty gutting. Then again, hardly that surprising. With all the Union Jack waving etc, never waved an EU flag did he?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

AzureSkys posted:

Feel like Devin Townsend should get some notice for his ability and range. Mostly, he puts a hell of a lot of emotion and quality into his work. He covers the ground between demon and angel quite well.
https://youtu.be/DrDM6V08wcE?t=372
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whnNRafv13M
Agreed. Hearing him play 'Kingdom' live was incredible. There is a great video online of him playing it in London. (Edit: here https://youtu.be/ZcAlE8ciNTU)

I saw a video with a vocal coach talking about him singing, and he does this weird technique where when he's singing the deep/gutteral stuff he can do it without...using his whole chest, or something, so he doesn't ruin his voice for the higher pitch stuff. I dunno it sounded pretty impressive.

Also that Haka video is lovely and badass at the same time Totally not crying. Nope.

Roblo has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Mar 19, 2019

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

You could fit a million earths in that photo.

And the rest, I think.

That thing is biiiig

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Lady Disdain posted:

I once saw a documentary that showed an orca torturing ("playing with," the doco called it) a seal pup for over an hour before it eventually got bored and killed it. Didn't even eat it afterwards.
"Rad" is really not the word I'd use.

Given they don't have the sense of morality that we have, then "playing with" is fine. Why would they give a poo poo about their food anyway?

Also that was an old BBC documentary, a David Attenborough one. They're pretty good at being impassionate about nature like that.

Kid me did find the seal pup being batted back and forward by Orcas as it slowly disintegrated somewhat upsetting though, I'll give you that.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Athleticism is cool and all, but magic with editing is loving lame as gently caress.

Trouble is it totally works on me. I have no experience in that kinda thing so am terrible at working out if something is fake.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

“The people in command did not know what the Rangers were. A Combat Command of 5th Armored Division, 3,000 men with tanks, failed to take the Burgeberg. Three companies of Rangers, just 200 soldiers, captured and held it.”

Yeah that's pretty badass.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Bit of fun where i live this evening, controlled detonation of a ~2m long german bomb.

I live over a mile away and my house shook/could hear it over some pretty loud metal coming out of my speakers.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=744376119536208

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

This is also fascinating and terrifying that we're still finding dangerous UXO from both world wars all over Europe. I'm curious how they mitigate damage to the surroundings though, if at all. Aside from evacuating a certain radius around the thing, how do they deal with broken windows, foundation repair or worse? Are these just parts of the cost of finding a big bomb you can't defuse?

They built a big sand filled wall around it before they blew it up. Will likely see more photos tomorrow, hopefully.

Apparently a lot of the problems in Germany are worse because the British bombs had a higher failure rate and haven't lasted so well. Oops.

When I lived in Plymouth they found bombs pretty regularly. That place was loving flattened.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

This one is a little closer. Gives you an idea of the size of it. https://imgur.com/gallery/Xje3AUD

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Ultimate frisbee players. Renowned for being badasses.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Re: Bolt-Thrower they are pretty decent people too. Here is a cool story of them, some Nazi skinheads and a baseball bat.

https://vics-dungeon.blogspot.com/2016/01/bolt-thrower-vs-neonazi-scum-as.html?m=1

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I can guarantee that although her bike was off the shelf/from a bike shop it still "cost more than the average person makes in a month".

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Actually in awe of the size of this lad.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

That haircut just SCREAMS backyard trampoline samurai.

Yeah ...and its surprisingly awesome.

Also that dude is pretty shredded.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's designed to be ship mounted to be able to intercept incoming missiles.

I think this is just chuds dicking about. Yes people can buy miniguns of course they can what kind of fool would suggest that you shouldn't be able to.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

nesamdoom posted:

Aim aside, I can't think of a reason to mush nails together. There are bigger nails. Also, I'd have been fired from any job over doing this. Hammer flips are fun, but if you're good at it then you've not been hammering nails enough.
E: it's still impressive. I could probably drive them in together, but def not separately.

...he's doing it because it looks impressive? And he's probably doing it on his own time.

Like the aim is the point. "aim aside". Weird comment to poo poo on the dude. Pretty sure most of us could drive them in together.

Edit: "I couldn't do that impressive thing he's doing, but I could do this other totally non impressive thing. Pff".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

nesamdoom posted:

so the point is to aim well and achieve nothing?

Haha, yes, you've figured it out.