Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I think I'm desensitized because James Kingston videos don't really bother me but are just kind of fun to watch.

It might be because he has way less of a death wish than Mustang Wanted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpS7vhvkIQM

Though these dudes have balls of solid steel, this stuff just upsets me. My grandfather drilled so many safety protocols into me that I can't handle daredevil stuff. I just get constantly worried. It would be better if they were wearing proper harnesses and clipped in. Then I could relax and watch the hi-jinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

From what I've gathered, that model of car had a recall because it was prone to slipping into neutral when you didn't want it to.
He probably didn't do anything wrong if the car had been in top condition.

He was a cool actor and liked his movies a lot.

I looked up the tutorial on how to use the Grand Cherokee shifting system. It's criminal. There's a reason it was recalled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUWVYrpd-3g

When you watch the video it seems like a tutorial for launching the space shuttle. Nothing intuitive and it requires that you look at the dashboard to tell the gear. Not the detents like everyone is used to. Horrifically dangerous design. If it ain't broke, gently caress it up. That appears to be every auto manufacturers' motto these days. I could totally see myself leaving it in neutral. There's no positive click that tells you you're in park.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Un hombre integro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05j25PHA7l8

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've never eaten moose. I've liked ever other type of deer I've had though so I'm assuming it's delicious.

Short answer: Yes, very tasty.

Long answer: Get a few strong people to help you clean the animal. Moose are big and they smell terrible. They're soaked in moose goo. Pickaroons' are helpful. They're way more animal than you expect. Wear an apron.

But worth it. Make sure you use the whole animal. They're not disposable.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I keep forgetting how big moose get. They're goddamn massive :stare:

https://i.imgur.com/Kot8s4r.gifv

Moose are freaky big. If you hit a moose when driving, you will be killed and the moose will be grumpy. My mom had a moose cross in front of her once back in the 80's and all she could see was legs in the headlights. She was able to dodge it.

You never realize how big they are unless they're in front of you. They're way more dangerous than a bear or a wolf. See a moose, run away. They get ornery.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

JnnyThndrs posted:

Everything about the SR-71 is completely badass.

My father in law was in the Air Force in photographic intelligence during the Vietnam war in the '60's. We went to the SAC museum together a few years ago. He had a crazy story about every plane. Too many to mention. He mostly did reviews of SR-71 photography. We watched the movie "Flight of the Intruder" together and he recognized the map that is shown in the ready room and agreed that "Yes, we bombed those places obsessively, but there was nothing there. Also, that bridge got bombed on every run and they'd have it rebuilt in a day." He had the same frustration as the pilots. Him on intelligence, them on getting their asses shot off. It was a political deal at the time.

The SR-71 in person is beautiful. One of the sexiest planes ever made. It's just a camera with an engine attached. They are bigger than you think and just scream speed when you look at them in person.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Automatic Retard posted:

Bullshit. Give it a go.

E: Mate

Also too many to recall. Some were quite boring. Here's a couple that I remember.

He was taking a stroll down the runway at his base. He liked to make a full lap all the way to the end and around just to get a little exercise. As he gets to the end of the runway, he hears a B-58 coming down the runway. He looks behind him and sees the plane coming towards him.
He jogs across the end of the runway and looks back and the plane is gone. Just disappeared. He can still hear it so he looks straight up and there it is. Climbing almost vertical. It was only a spot in the sky. Just gone. I've tried to find videos of B-58s doing that kind of a takeoff but I haven't found one.

In the 60's when they were just starting to do satellite photography, they would launch the satellite, let it make a few laps of the earth, then snag it in the air with a C-130 when it came back down. They'd then develop the film and analyze it. One of the shots that he looked at was so detailed that you could tell what tools were in the back of a truck on a Russian base. I didn't think we had that poo poo until the 80's.

For SR-71 photography, when the picture was at an angle, they were able to count how many Russians were assisting the NVA by their height. That's pretty clever.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

ChlamydiaJones posted:

Sorry to necro this post but mostlygray doesn't accept PMs so;
My dad did a similar job to the one your father in law did, DOD, fly over photography interpretation during the Vietnam war. He sat at the desk where the mission parameters were combined with the results of the mission.
We should compare notes at some point!
If your father in law is still alive ask him if knew a guy named Gordon.

Sorry, I literally don't know how PMs work. I should probably figure that out.
Yes, my FIL is still alive and I'll ask him next time I see him.

The story about the satellites is awesome! I didn't realize that they could look back. I thought they could only look down.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

DandyLion posted:

Yeah everything about the physiology of them is evolved around maximal functional strength/leverage. Even the tendon/muscle anchor points are more advantageously located for strength/leverage (as opposed to finer dexterity like us).

That being said nobody goes farther on less energy than us so they still gotta catch us first!

Speaking of advantageous anchor points for muscles...
A guy that knew was a dwarf who was a giant dwarf. He was about 5 feet tall. By his build, I'm guessing he was achondroplasic. If he was full height he'd have looked like The Mountain from GOT. When he was a kid, he was riding the school bus and some kids started picking on him from the seat in front of him. He put his feet against the back of the bus seat and bent the whole thing over trapping them. The had a heck of a time freeing the kids. They were pinned by their chests.
He didn't get picked on again.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Inceltown posted:

I had never heard the term 'loon' applied to anything other than someone who is crazy as in lunatic or Canadian 'loonies' which I assumed came from the same origins.

Loons are in fact adorable and the mascot of the USA getting destroyed by its own hubris is very apt.

Loons are both beautiful and terrifying. When you're camping by a lake in northern MN, they sing all night. They have a very creepy call. It's haunting.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A clear night sky is a beautiful thing. If you can make your way to the southern hemisphere, the sights are even better.

We get the entire smear of the Milky Way across the sky. If you're out bush, it's just breathtaking.

Sadly it's also almost impossible to find images online which show what it actually looks like. All are either massively long exposures or digitally "enhanced". This is about as close as I could find to what you'd see with the naked eye:

The northern MN night sky is great. I'm from up near Orr MN and on a clear night with a new moon in MN you can see fine just by starlight. In the winter, you get Northern Lights which is nice. No light pollution up north. There's one streetlight that's 7 miles away at Gheen Corner. No one uses yard lights to speak of so it's pure dark outside and silent.

It's interesting when I go back home. I'm so used to the Twin Cities that It's humbling to see the real night sky.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s a very primal experience. The UP is the same. Northern lights, deafening silence and enough start light that you don’t need a flashlight. It’s beautiful.

The Kabetogama Peninsula. is my favorite. Federal land and no-one goes there except for a couple rangers. It's a lot of paddling and hiking. You do need to check in at the ranger station like normal but it's just not a place people go. They do have a pit toilet on the trail by Cruiser lake which is nice. The negative is that, if you get hurt, you're getting yourself out. Watch the cairns on the trail. If you miss one, you might be lost for days so bring a topo and compass with you. Last time I was there, a cairn had went missing and it was on the slick rock so I had to use my topo to find and re-mark the trail. If you're not used to the north woods, you could run into trouble.

The nice thing is that, if you head north, you'll hit Rainey Lake and someone will see you. It's not bad. No more than 12 miles if you're going north anywhere on the peninsula. Don't go west or east. Go north if you're lost. West, you'll die. East, no-one will find you and then you'll die. North is safe. Don't get wet. Nights are cold up north.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

The greatest sport ever is Test Cricket.

Matches last 5 days and sometimes nobody wins.

But also, the sport was invented purely as an excuse to get around anti-drinking laws. (There was some ye olde English law that prevented drinking on Sundays, so they just extended the cricket game, so the spectators were allowed to drink because ... laws were stupid back then.)

I had a Pakistani friend that tried to explain Cricket to me. The first part made sense. I was OK with it. Then in degenerated into madness. He was Cricket obsessed. It's all he talked about. There was some kind of a "World Series" Cricket thing he would make us put on in the break room. We had TVs in the call center and he'd make us switch them to Cricket.

From what I understand, a bunch of people stand around a lot. The bowler throws the ball in an awkward way so they can't throw fast. The batsman is dressed up with more armor than a hockey goalie for some reason. There's a bit with a bail and some wickets. You run a short distance back and forth between the wickets unless you don't feel like it. Then there's a tea break or something. Everyone wins? Everyone loses? Unclear but that's OK. Then there's something about the ashes or maybe not and and a bunch of people wear doctors coats or maybe not and you have to wear a sweater in summer. I'm pretty sure a cat is involved at some point who decides who gets the ceremonial cheese block.

I kind of lost focus after the running part so my description is poor.

However, American Football (Gridiron) gets just as wonky during play so I understand why I don't get Cricket. It's a different sport and it takes time to learn how to drink beers and yell at a TV in a bar for a while.

"Common Ref! QB was inside the tackles and a guard is not an eligible receiver unless he's wearing an eligible number or otherwise declared to the ref prior to the snap! That's intentional grounding!"

Yes, American Football is full of weird rules that we all know. Now lets have drunken argument about how a Center Sneak is legal somehow and then bitch about how no-one ever does the "wrong ball" fake in the pro's.

To argue standard bar scene yelling at the TV: A Center Sneak is allowable if the ball is fumbled so, yes, you can do a center sneak by making it look like a QB sneak, if the QB lets go of the ball after having control and the Center picks it up. Not recommended but it can be done. It cannot be handed off, he has to drop it straight down He must have control first. That's a fumble so it's a free ball.

I think, with practice, it could be done. Not safely, but possible.

Yay Cricket! Go *Insert your team here*!

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Particular flavours, such as you find in curry, or with peppers, cayenne particularly, just basically switch off my tongue, so I don't see the appeal of eating them. Because I literally can't taste what I'm eating. It's a similar experience to eating when you have a cold, like you're just shoveling stuff into your mouth but there is no enjoyment so it's a struggle.

I assume if you eat a lot of it or grow up eating it you don't experience that but that whole range of the flavour profile just doesn't work for me. Love a good sweet and savoury though. Love stuff like french onion soup and fish pie, just a big mix of smoky, savoury, sometimes sweet flavours.

It depends on who you are. My wife always says that all she tastes is spicy when something has a lot of cayenne or habaneros. To me, spicy isn't a flavor, it's just a part of the enjoyment. I still taste everything else and I love the flavor of chilis. Especially ghost peppers., Awesome flavor. She can't taste it. She doesn't like the smoky taste of a ghost pepper vs the fruity flavor of an habanero. Anything above a serrano and she's out.

It must be the same effect you experience. I assume it's genetic. I don't think it relates to what you ate as a kid. My wife was eating Mexican food from a Hispanic neighborhood in Denver when she was little, full of hot peppers, yet she doesn't like spicy. I was eating incredibly bland North Dakota Norwegian food as a kid and I want my food so spicy that I cry. You have to put up with the heat to get the flavor.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

cakesmith handyman posted:

Dunking on a shark with a loving circular saw for a jaw, let's see your evolutionary speciality then bud.

Goofy looking things are often the most dangerous. I had a buddy that was 6'4" and 140 lbs. Looked like a concentration camp victim. He was like fighting a spider. I was 6', 245lbs. I could pick him up like a baby and throw him like he was nothing if he were to let me. He'd beat me most of the time wrestling. He was all limbs. Couldn't get a grip on him. Significant advantage. I'm a good wrestler, with weight in my favor, with a strong grip and big arms. But he had reach.

Point being, adaptation doesn't make sense sometimes. If it works, it works. If you want a Rolodex of teeth and it works, go nuts.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

This guy is pretty disliked among archers. Along with his “historic” knowledge being questionable at best, he’s likely using very low-weight bows a lot of the time to get speed.

Of course his bow is light. It still has enough power to penetrate at short distance and is very fast. People also like to count buttons on military uniforms.

Regardless, it's pretty cool to watch.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Push-stroke saws offer more force and faster, rougher cuts on harder material, and pulling is for greater precision, sharper saws, and smoother cuts that take more time. Culture, available materials, and necessity all coalesce into the end results-- think of a traditional Japanese home with no metal joinery and sliding paper-faced doors vs. a log cabin in the 1800s. They're exactly the same thing but with different requirements, materials, and culture, and the tools reflect that.

I always thought pull saws made more sense until I first use one. I still do, they're flexible and they cut slow and precice.

But if you really need to hog some wood out, a big rear end push saw with wide teeth will really make hay. I use my back saw a lot too as a miter saw.

The pull saw is for fine fits and flush cutting.

They each have their purpose. May as well use both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

For anyone unfamiliar, stereoscopes are great and you should try one out, if you ever get the chance.

The effect is two of the same image optically blends in your brain to make a single 3d image.

My grandma had one from way back in day. Not as fancy as this one but it worked the same. She also had a box of stereo photos that I used to like looking at. Lots of messed up stuff. Photos of severed heads from the Boxer Rebellion, starving people in India, nothing pretty really. It was almost all photos of atrocities. I guess that was popular at the time.
I think my mom has all that stuff now.