Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Fuckin' lol @ anyone who uses the acronym "EDC".

It's an abbreviation so yeah definitely lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Gordie Howe never scored a Gordie Howe hat trick iirc

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7xgbdy/inside-the-kill-zone-of-fallujahs-hell-house

This image has stuck with me for years. TRADOC really lives up to the DOC part with the IET handbook being full of medal citations and every range being named after decorated soldiers with plaques showing their medal citations. There are many, many amazing people out there that, putting aside the politics of war, forfeit their lives to accomplish the mission and / or save lives

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The americans being rabbits is also a Japanese pun (Usagi, USA GI)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Don't look at that picture if it not an american otherwise ur going to gitmo

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Lady Disdain posted:

I think that "spicy" is the word people use when they're overwhelmed by flavour, just because they have no other word for it.
I can't think of any other explanation.

Spice-y vs spicy can be difficult to articulate

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

Let's say I can throw a 60 mph baseball. So if I'm on a train, moving 50 mph to your right, and I throw a baseball also to your right, you, standing in the train station and looking through the train's window, see the baseball as going 110 mph to the right relative to you. In other words, the velocities combine through simple addition. Similarly, if I throw the baseball to the left, you'll see it moving 10 mph to the left.

But, it turns out, this is just an approximation. When speeds get near c, the math gets more complicated. Let's say I can shoot a 0.6c space torpedo. So if my spaceship is moving 0.5c to the right, and I fire my torpedo also to the right, then does my torpedo go 1.1c relative to you, observing from Earth? You've heard that nothing can travel faster than c, so this must be impossible. In fact, the torpedo would be going 0.846c relative to you. The formula isn't just:
v1 + v2
it's:
(v1 + v2)/[1 + (v1*v2)/c2]
but in normal everyday life, that denominator is so incredibly close to 1 that it doesn't matter. You will find that if the two velocities are between -c and c, then the resulting velocity will also be within that same interval.

So if you're going really fast, and you accelerate to try to go faster, what happens? Well, you get closer and closer to c. And since the way kinetic energy works in special relativity is also different, your energy still increases just as much as you'd expect, but that energy gets you less and less velocity, asymptotically approaching (but never reaching) c.

Inspector 34 posted:

I don't think I understand this well enough to describe a situation like that. I'm just trying to understand it conceptually at all. But I'll try.

If I have two ball bearings heading toward each other, one from from the left at 20mph and one from the right at 20mph, the energy of produced by their collision is equivalent to if one were standing still and the other was going 40mph, right? So the simple v1+v2 scenario. But at what point does that stop being true?

Assume they're going 100mph each, or 10,000,000mph each, why do I need to bring c into the equation? How fast do they need to be going relative to each other for that original 20 + 20mph to not work? That's what I mean by arbitrary, is there a specific point where that kind of simple equation doesn't work and we need to bring c into the equation?

the (v1*v2/c^2) should produce a small number and for most every day things that number (plus 1) is basically 1 so you can ignore the full equation and get by with just v1+v2 like your 20mph baseballs.

When the velocities get into big numbers approaching C, you end up with a denominator appreciably larger than 1 which makes the full equation necessary.

so when (1+(v1*v2/c^2)) starts getting appreciably larger than 1 is when your 20+20 math no longer works.

500excf type r has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Jun 24, 2021

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's a gaur, the largest species of wild bovid. The big bulls can be over 7 feet tall at the shoulder and weigh one and a half tons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaur

E: largest extant species, there was an extinct species of bison that was likely over 8 feet tall at the shoulder and had a hornspan of over 6 feet and probably weighed up to 2 tons.

B. latifrons is thought to have evolved in midcontinent North America from B. priscus, another prehistoric species of bison that migrated across the Bering Land Bridge between 240,000 and 220,000 years ago.[11][12][13]

Why would people not have followed these herds across the Bering strait, there were denisovans and neaderthals in Siberia

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Phanatic posted:

That's nothing new, and the medium of gas is still nowhere near dense enough for anything like sound to propagate through.

Gases like oxygen nitrogen carbon dioxide....

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

Ah, the days of Babe Ruth, when this dude was a top athlete

Dude smoked, drank, ate poorly, and cheated on his wife constantly.

Don't get me wrong, he was actually a star athlete. It's just impressive that he could do it while eating and acting like your old drunken unemployed uncle.

This photo is post retirement, not when he was an active player

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

This is the weirdest phrasing. The hunter found the deer tangled up and was able to shoot one to death but sadly, the other deer had already died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

There's good reason he fell off quick in the mid-90s

Didnt he have a pretty successful television show until like 2010?