Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
I knew it would look like this JoelJoel;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

Choco1980 posted:

When that started making the rounds a few days back on social media, I thought it was fake because of the speed of some of those flips. Still looks almost like ragdoll to me.

I just did this yesterday first thing in the morning and the employees getting warmed up were unreal. I guess putting 150mph wind through a tube like that lets an area JUST LARGER than the surface area of your head hold you in place! Once the speed is up high the employees zoomed around in there at pretty amazing speeds for such a small area. Of course I hung there like a huge jellyfish because I got a little closer to that 250 than I'd like :(

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

:aaaaa:That's the best horror movie I never saw.

And once you got into the storm, neither did you.

Now THAT'S how you do the Kessel Run!

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

mostlygray posted:

My father in law was in the Air Force in photographic intelligence during the Vietnam war in the '60's. We went to the SAC museum together a few years ago. He had a crazy story about every plane. Too many to mention. He mostly did reviews of SR-71 photography. We watched the movie "Flight of the Intruder" together and he recognized the map that is shown in the ready room and agreed that "Yes, we bombed those places obsessively, but there was nothing there. Also, that bridge got bombed on every run and they'd have it rebuilt in a day." He had the same frustration as the pilots. Him on intelligence, them on getting their asses shot off. It was a political deal at the time.

Sorry to necro this post but mostlygray doesn't accept PMs so;
My dad did a similar job to the one your father in law did, DOD, fly over photography interpretation during the Vietnam war. He sat at the desk where the mission parameters were combined with the results of the mission.
We should compare notes at some point!
If your father in law is still alive ask him if knew a guy named Gordon.

g

[edit] to add a mildly bad rear end story;
Dad was reading early satellite imagery as well but he worked at the Asia desk of DOD or something. He told a story about how the Chinese army was invading Tibet back in the early 50's, the problem was distance, logistics dictated that you had to haul your fuel with you since there was no modern infrastructure on the high plateau. They worked out that it would take something like 8 trucks loaded with fuel to get one military vehicle fully loaded with fuel at the border. That was interpreted as making it impossible for China to conduct military operations at that distance.

What the pentagon didn't know was that the Chinese were fully aware of where our satellites were, when they passed over and what they could see; once you know it's up there it's just math right?
What the Chinese didn't know was that the satellites could look backwards and not only straight down.

The Chinese government was building a pipeline to move fuel to Tibet but they only worked on it under the cover of clouds. They had a bunch of workers in a movable village next to a road and they hid pipe next to the road. As soon as the clouds rolled in they buried pipe for as long as they had cover. What my dad claims to have done is to have caught them at it by looking back under the cloud cover at a fairly high angle and seeing the workers pulling the pipe out from under cover. I guess that the satellites were taking pictures constantly at all possible angles because of the restrictions that mostlygray mentioned.

So dad communicated this and was told that it didn't matter because even if they did build a pipeline it could only pump one thing, say oil OR gas. So dad had to go to the pentagon and give a bunch of generals a briefing on how pipe works, for instance that you can run a pig down it and put fuel oil in front and something else behind. Apparently they didn't know that you could use a single pipe to move multiple fluids. Generals apparently love it when they're wrong and are corrected by some due who wasn't in uniform!
Anyway, dad was pretty cool in my book!
[/edit]

ChlamydiaJones has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Mar 20, 2019