Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Can you imagine having to go to work like that?

bitches love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Vorpal Cat posted:

I'm uncertain how I feel about Heisenberg being included with these terrible puns.

It's feyn-man

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

Badass architecture, you say?

When did real life become a tower defense game?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Useless posted:

I must have run across this story a dozen times in various places on there 'ol internets, but every time I stop to read it again. Such a great story...

You're not the only one. :)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Snowy posted:

I always think of the aliens overhead in their superior spacecraft, also listening in and wishing they could upstage the blackbird and blow the controller's mind.

drat those intergalactic treaties! They should let the Free Market do its thing and let the most fit Gorblox Win!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hey, who turned out the lights?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dog Case posted:

It's not so bad

Ok, you're losing your pant leg from the belt and your spinal column from that seat.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

blunt for century posted:

Let me make sure my hammering tie is on straight.

Triple handled hammer for triple the smashing! :black101:
spot the presidential cameo!

Is that Teddy?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Swimming in the ocean
edit: the ship spit out a bunch of seamen

Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, chief. It was comin' back, from the island of Tinian to Laytee, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb.

Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know... was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Huh huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like ol' squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark comes to the nearest man and that man, he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away.

Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.

Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour.
On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, boson's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He's a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper, anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again.

\

So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I'll be in the angry dome!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

cams posted:

all i think watching this is "oh man if he dropped that he'd really mess up that wood-panel floor."

i'm growing up

He did drop it. bastard didn't even put a drop cloth down!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Minarch posted:

longer than a black lab

:stare:

:golfclap:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Goons getting all Jelly about lifting things up ITT

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

XMNN posted:

This is the M2-F3, a lifting body aircraft built by NASA to drop from planes to see if they worked. All of the lift is generated by the shape of the fuselage, so it doesn't need wings which is why it looks like something out of Star Wars. The previous model didn't have the third tail fin which meant it was much more prone to start rolling uncontrollably like this:
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/discovery-presents/videos/wild-ride-m2f2/

Dude! The air and space museum put in new things?

Gonna have to visit my friends soon.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Ok, 81 clicks elevation..... :stare:

Windage, your mother.

What is the velocity of that round; at the muzzle and when it struck the target?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Those 16 inch guns fire a variety of shells ranging from 1,900 to 2,700 lbs to a range of 42,345 yards. Aiming is done with the assistance of a mechanical computer that accounts for powder charge, wind, ship's speed, target's speed, humidity, and other factors. Some of the training videos are on youtube. Give it a watch. It's real neat, and gives you a great idea of how the machine works, not just how to work it.

I've shot long distances.....

Humans give the computers the variables, the computer does the math faster than what we can put it into it. The output kills the enemy.

Some engineer had to design the system and the formula to give to the computer to compute.

We are very good at killing ourselves.

It's still amazing and I thank you for the video.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Jedit posted:

It's even better than that. Winton's efforts remained unknown for fifty years because he never told anyone about them.

I have my own opinion on why, but I wish to ask you and the others.

What about doing an act like this and keeping silent about it is, in your opinion, endearing?

Trust me, I agree with you. I just want to read your words.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, absolutely. "One more name on the list, one more rescued, selling my car could have saved ... several others." Human mind is a kind of a dick and especially if you had to choose who you rescue, one probably blames himself for being so unable to do anything.

At least with the veterans of war, many of them are kinda blaming themselves for the deaths of those who walked into an ambush or took the guard duty when the sniper got better of them, because they had reassignment and weren't there to take the bullet that killed someone else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_guilt

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Are you allowed to carry a very large caliber weapon in Australia, simply for the act of getting rid of errant roos?

If no, you should have an armed revolt.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

:stare: it honestly doesn't say if it was successful at all.

I live in a state with the sixth largest army come hunting day, for white tailed deer. Want some?

I'm sure there would be lines of volunteers.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mr-Spain posted:

7x7 is a hell of a trophy elk.

How do you think he got her? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

plain blue jacket posted:

what is wrong with you

He's funny, you should try it sometime.