Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Season 1 DVD with audio commentary from Scott and characters from the show is out now! Season 2 DVD will be out June 24. I CAN'T loving WAIT! New season starts Thursday, May 8 at 10:30/9:30c on IFC after an ALL NEW Maron! If you don't have IFC, it'll probably be on iTunes or Amazon Instant or someshit.

Comedy Bang Bang is a tv show based on a podcast based on a live stage show. It's a highly irreverent, often silly fake talk show that combines improvised "interviews" with scripted sketches. The interviews feature some of the funniest celebrities in existence - people like PEE-WEE loving HERMAN, Jon Hamm, Anna Kendrick, Andy Samberg, Andy Richter, Amy Poehler, Adam Scott, other people whose names begin with A and Zach Galifianakis - along with some of the funniest comedians in existence, such as Andy Daly, Paul F Tompkins, Bob Odenkirk and David Cross, playing characters the likes of whom you won't see anywhere else. I guarantee you've never seen anything quite like this show before.

Hosting Comedy Bang Bang is Scott Aukerman, who is most well known for... probably this show. Or the podcast. But also being a writer on Mr. Show and producer and co-creator of Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis. The latter of which recently just had Barack Hussein Obamacare as a guest!

The show is co-hosted by Reggie Watts, comedy musician, music musician, marijuana enthusiast, and Weird Dude. He makes music using just his mouth and a looping machine. Here's a few of his music videos (may contain naughty language):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vftIGU8-uqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJQU22Ttpwc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=344OpaQCAQI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R982J8c4nA

Remember when I said this tv show is based on a podcast? Well I'm going to talk about the podcast now! Comedy Bang Bang was originally called Comedy Death Ray, and it was also a live comedy showcase. The live show, which ended its ten year run last fall, was one of the most successful and influential live comedy shows of the past decade. In 2009, Scott Aukerman created a podcast which he hoped could be used to advertise for the live show, but it quickly grew into something much more. Comedy Bang Bang has since grown into one of the most popular and best comedy podcasts in an ocean of comedy podcasts. Think of any comedian or actor you think is funny and they've probably been on the podcast: Jon Hamm, Adam Scott, Amy Poehler, Paul F. Tompkins, Matt Besser, Rob Huebel, Tom Lennon, Zach Galifianakis, Patton Oswalt, Chris Hardwick, Doug Benson, “Weird Al” Yankovic, Andy Richter, Gillian Jacobs... I literally could go on for another page.

The podcast is very similar to the television show, but it differs in that it's only the improvised “interview” portion of the show. It's also usually 1-1.5 hours long, so guests and characters alike are given much more room to breathe and time to develop into often very bizarre creatures. If you like the television show, you owe it to yourself to check out the podcast.

A great way to get into the podcast is to listen to the Best of 2013 episodes (part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4). Yeah, it's a 4 parter! 2013 was possibly the best year of the show so far.

Other than that, you can basically just pick any episode with a guest you like and it will most likely be good. Here are some recent favorites of mine:

The 5th Anniversary Show! (Jessica St. Clair, Lennon Parham, Jason Mantzoukas, Lauren Lapkus, Matt Besser, Paul F. Tompkins, Paul Rust & Neil Campbell)
Two Thumbs & Not Much Else (Ben Schwartz, Paul F. Tompkins) featuring one of my favorite jokes of all time: Herbie, Portrait of a Serial Killer
Murderer Heaven (Rob Corddry, Paul F. Tompkins)
Marissa Wompler's Birthday Pool Party LIVE (Jessica St. Clair, Lennon Parham, Jason Mantzoukas, Brian Huskey & Melissa Rauch)
#TheWorldsEnd (Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg & Nick Frost)
The Stallone Bros. (Paul Scheer, Nick Kroll)
Veggie Dongs (Thomas Lennon, Rob Huebel & Neko Case)
Blow Me Up, Tom! (Maria Bamford, James Adomian)
Something for Everything (Reggie Watts, Neil Campbell) featuring the best freestyle rap in the history of the universe
The Bed Spoiler (Amber Tamblyn, Todd Glass)
What Does the Fonz Say? (Jimmy Pardo, Betsy Sodaro)
Hollywild (Ben Schwartz, Horatio Sanz)

Wow, I have a lot of favorites! I'm sure I forgot some but that list is pretty long as it is.

If you like the podcast, come talk about it with us in the Comedy Bang Bang thread in the podcast forum Rapidly Going Deaf. Yeah, that's a thing!

Here are some pictures taken behind the scenes, to give you a peak into how the show is made:

Up next: plugs gifs! Probably. We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

More to come! At some point. I'm busy ok!

Thanks to Illinois Smith and Greggy for gifs!

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 8, 2014

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

This is the best show and I can't wait. Did they ever put the 15 minute preview from a few days ago online? I missed it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
It's been too long since the last season.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Oh, I forgot to mention this in the OP! The show has already been picked up for season 4, which will be 40 EPISODES. That's right, 40. Forty. Cuarenta. Vierzig. Quarente. FOUR ZERO.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
I can't wait to be watching this show again. And yeah, 40 episodes next season is crazy, we are set on CBBs for quite a while.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Oh, I forgot to mention this in the OP! The show has already been picked up for season 4, which will be 40 EPISODES. That's right, 40. Forty. Cuarenta. Vierzig. Quarente. FOUR ZERO.

That's a lot of episodes.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

TONIGHT! 10:30 BM, after an aaaaall new Maron.

Deadpool, if you're reading this, sticky this poo poo. I'm too lazy to PM you.

e: UGH FINE

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 9, 2014

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Greggy posted:

I can't wait to be watching this show again. And yeah, 40 episodes next season is crazy, we are set on CBBs for quite a while.

I wonder if they'll air those over two years or if we'll really have 40 new episodes in 2015. That's three quarters of the year. Poor Scoot will be overworked. Let the man have some time to himself!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Fezz posted:

I wonder if they'll air those over two years or if we'll really have 40 new episodes in 2015. That's three quarters of the year. Poor Scoot will be overworked. Let the man have some time to himself!

He seemed pretty positive about it on NNF today. Maybe it just hasn't hit him yet.

And I'm pretty sure it'll be over one year. Otherwise why call it all one season?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
A soap or dope joint.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

This episode made my crush on Anna Kendrick shift into full-blown love, while my full-blown man-love for Benny Schwaz continued apace. Did you know that Jesus was a carpenter?

ThatPazuzu posted:

A soap or dope joint.

Best little detail of the episode.

I really want to know who came up with "The Nasty Nutsacks". I've got a feeling that it was Paul Rust.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

JethroMcB posted:

I really want to know who came up with "The Nasty Nutsacks". I've got a feeling that it was Paul Rust.

I'm sure they're being promoted by the Bachelor Brothers.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Pretty sure they opened for the Kooky Cavemen on their last tour.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'LL SUCK YOUR DICK IN FRONT OF YOUR WIFE JUST TO SHOW HER WHAT SHE'S DOING WRONG!

A Tsk-Tsk Attaboy/Soap Or Dope Joint

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
From an interview with Scott and Reggie, it sounds like we're going to have a very short break between seasons 3 and 4:

quote:

So, you guys are doing 40 episodes next season. What's that transition gonna be like?

Watts: I don't know how it's gonna work mechanically, but I guess we'll figure it out.

Aukerman: We're gonna get tune-ups on the old mechanics.

Watts: [Laughs] Yeah, yeah. Have a massage team on standby.

Aukerman: I mean, it's interesting. Basically, this only takes half the year to do from writing to finishing, so you can do twice as many in the year. The cool thing about it is IFC wanted it to be on every single week. 'Cause right now, with the situation we're in, we do 10 episodes and then we're off for three months, then we do 10 episodes. With 40 next year, we can be on every single Thursday at 10:30, even in reruns. We'll do 10 episodes, have three weeks in between, another 10, so it's like we're consistently on every single week on the network now, which is really cool. People can tune in and see it every single week, even if it's a rerun, but we're always there rather than vanishing for months and months. And we may as well get a bunch of them done before we're too old to get out of the chairs.

Watts: We have one, maybe two years left.

Aukerman: Every single time we do a scene where I have to get up off the ground, it's getting harder and harder.

Watts: [Laughs] That's why you're gonna see a few less on-the-ground scenes.

Aukerman: Basically, we do 10 episodes in May and then we're back in October, and once we're on in October, you're gonna see 50 episodes straight through to the end of next year, so I think it's really cool because the viewers will just get a long, uninterrupted dose of the show.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

That's pretty awesome but I hope this doesn't kill Scott.

Oh wait, nevermind, Cake Boss kills Scott.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

In my opinion, this man cave is more like a man's grave.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Very excited to see the Calvins Brothers make an appearance next week.

Folks: You gotta laugh!

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

ThatPazuzu posted:

In my opinion, this man cave is more like a man's grave.

God drat this bussed my poo poo up while I was watching it. Especially when Scott jumped in behind the couch.

Also jenna fischer next week? more office deadpans? One can only dream.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
MONSTER!!!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

"Powering down for duration of boring comedy explanation."

"Boy if I had a bitcoin every time I've heard that before."

I got the season 1 DVD a while ago and I guess it was a worthwhile purchase but WOW the show has gotten so much better since season 1. It doesn't help that a lot of the characters on the commentary (which is the main reason to get it, other than to support the show) are all characters that are getting pretty long in the tooth on the podcast. I can't wait for the season 2 DVD.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I just came across this and thought it was worth sharing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1aoVOyK8RM

Josh Homme is actually kinda funny. It'd be cool to have him on the podcast sometime.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
He was on Portlandia a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEZJivH4dho

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I really hate the way that IFC's commercial structure staggers CBB's pacing. I didn't think you could get worse than the "Three and a half act" structure that The Simpsons had to adopt after the switch to HD or Archer switched to in season 3, but IFC's found a way. I understand the appeal - oh, here's a quick skit in the middle of a 2 minute commercial block to mess with DVR viewers - but it really makes this already frenetic show feel even more disjointed.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

This episode didn't really do it for me. The detective thing didn't work as an extended bit.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

ThatPazuzu posted:

This episode didn't really do it for me. The detective thing didn't work as an extended bit.

The detective bit didn't do anything for me either, but the Calvins Brothers were fantastic.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Detective bit was okay but it took up too much time. They needed another sketch or something instead of that time when we spend like two sections in a row with Alexander, although I might be biased because the reality show parodies have become my favourite part of the show.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
I kinda felt like they had the shorter detective bits to try to make room for the Calvins twins. I also think that interview may have been much longer but had to be cut down for time. Scott's question asking how many dead horses they have on their consciences seemed like a setup to go into the bit about figuring just how many horses have died, and instead it's cut down to just waiving off the question and setting up "You gotta laugh". If that was shot, I have to think that would have been a better use of time than the 4th detective bit with him trying to play 5 instruments at once and playing them all very badly.

However, the detective bit got a good laugh out of me for the end of it, when he drops the accent and then takes the "Not so fast" posture, just to punch Scott with an Inspector Gadget arm and then just waiting for the police officer who's going to take him away, bragging to the cop about how he just punched Scott from the other side of the room.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I saw it coming as soon as they said Transylvania, but Comedy Fang! Fang! was the biggest laugh of the episode for me. The commercial break conversations Scott and Jenna Fisher were also fantastic. Otherwise, I agree that the detective story overstayed its welcome.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Take that poo poo shovel and shovel that poo poo.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
Abso-lool.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

ThatPazuzu posted:

Take that poo poo shovel and shovel that poo poo.

Horse, more shite!

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
THEY SAID GOON

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Just got caught up, and that Maron ending broke me, sort of the pay off for the last several weeks' "After an all new Maron"ing on the podcast

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I just came across this and thought it was worth sharing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1aoVOyK8RM

Josh Homme is actually kinda funny. It'd be cool to have him on the podcast sometime.

Thats the genesis for the whole Adam Scott owning a tuxedo bit, holy crap

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Great ep, I even thought Kyle Mooney was funny. Is it just me or does it look like IFC bumped up their effects budget for this season?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Best of the season so far. "UMP IN THE DUMP" was incredible, and Offerman/the SNL lady as Scott's neighbour were both funny as hell.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

If you weren't aware, the season 2 DVDs come out next Tuesday. I just preordered it woop. Supposedly there's 15 (fifteen) hours of video extras. Which is just nuts.

I wish I hadn't just rewatched season 2 right before season 3 started but oh well. There's commentaries to listen to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I'm just catching last week's episode with Nick Offerman and beside it being hilarious, seeing Nick go apeshit in the earthquake movie clip was amazing. Dude needs more angry/dramatic roles.

• Locked thread