Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Date: May 10th, 2014
Venue: U.S. Bank Arena
Broadcast: FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2, UFC Fight Pass

MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 10 p.m. ET)
Matt Brown vs. Erick Silva
Lorenz Larkin vs. Constantinos Philippou
Daron Cruickshank vs. Erik Koch
Neil Magny vs. Tim Means
Soa Palelei vs. Ruan Potts
Chris Cariaso vs. Louis Smolka

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 2, 8 p.m. ET)
Ed Herman vs. Rafael Natal
Kyoji Horiguchi vs. Darrell Montague
Yan Cabral vs. Zak Cummings
Johnny Eduardo vs. Eddie Wineland

PRE-PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 p.m. ET)
Manny Gamburyan vs. Nik Lentz
Justin Salas vs. Ben Wall
Anthony Lapsley vs. Albert Tumenov

Important Things:

This is the most "grab bag of weird middle of the road fighters" I've seen in some time. This isn't a horrendous card in the slightest, but the lack of star power is going to make people think it's skippable. Holy hell are there a ton of fights.

My Main Man Matt The Immortal Brown (MMMMTIB) is in a strange spot. He's currently riding a six fight win streak, but all against fringe top 15 level opposition. He was once scheduled against Carlo Conduit, but had to withdraw due to injury, so now there's an x factor to consider. Will the former addict be able to bounce back from being under the knife? Probably. He's Matt Brown, after all. This is a must win fight, as it doesn't really do much for The Man than just keep him in the vague sense of a potential title shot.

Erick Silva is an enigma. Once touted as an emerging prospect (and still considered one by some for reasons I can't really understand) the Brazilian has had a literal win one, lose one resume since his UFC debut. And if you're a traditionalist he won't be losing to Matt Brown as he is due for a loss.

Dude, I've watched Larkin and Philippou fight a bunch and I have nothing to say about either of them. I'm not sure if that's a reflection on my garbage memory or this being a garbage fight.

Prediction: This will be Fight of the Night. After doing the weird rear end move of going UP in weight, Erik Koch has been looking like a guy who hurts people for money, and he looks good doing it. And honestly, having Cruickshank as a dance partner is a nice blend of violence that should be one for the ages. Oh boy.

Neil of the House Magny is back and raring to go so strap yourselves in or go grab a snack. Tim Means is back as well. Who knew that had happened?

Fat Dudes Incorporated Soa Palelei and Ruan Potts. Go ahead and brace yourselves for getting to witness one half of one of the worst fights in UFC History (shout outs to Nikita Krylov) fight a guy I've never head of at all.

Louis Smolka is a legit fun to watch prospect that you should keep an eye on.

Rafael Natal! Darrell Montague! Eddie Wineland! Nik Lentz! Ben Wall!

MMA Snack Rating ™ Rice Cake With Peanut Butter, Coconut, and Dried Cherries

quote:

ingredients

Rice Cakes

Peanut Butter

Toasted Unsweetened Shredded Coconut

Dried Cherries

directions
Spread 1 rice cake with 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter.

Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons toasted unsweetened shredded coconut and 2 teaspoons dried cherries.

Other Important Things:

UFC Fight Pass and then one of the rare instances of viewing this on the fabeled channel of FOX Sports Two, so keep that in mind. The main card will round out on FOX Sports One.

Come hang out in #mma on synirc.org to discuss how appropriate it is that Matt Brown is from Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I like watching Matt Brown fight. I hope it's good, and the card is entertaining.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

Manny Gamburyan vs. Nik Lentz

That's just about the fightpassiest fight you can make with two people I recognize. Good job.

Edit: Worst snack ever. I don't even want to think about that poo poo, much less try to make it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 8, 2014

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Nik Lentz is buried on Fight Pass haha

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Nik Lentz got buried because he looked awful against Chad Mendes while Chad Mendes was undergoing cancer treatment in the ring.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I googled Ruan Potts to make sure that wasn't a typo, he's a South African heavyweight which can only mean fantastic things

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
There is one dude on the card who has actually been in a title fight and he's on the prelims for some reason.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Is Neil Magny better at fighting than a sauna? Joe Silva aims to find out, next on MANswers!

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Edit: Worst snack ever. I don't even want to think about that poo poo, much less try to make it.

I recently discovered these flavored rice cakes at the store and have since found it important to try and put things on the plain ones just to see what's going on.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

-Atom- posted:

I recently discovered these flavored rice cakes at the store and have since found it important to try and put things on the plain ones just to see what's going on.

You could try thinly-sliced strawberries on cream cheese, that seems to go over well

It satisfies me greatly to see Manny buried on the preliminaries to the preliminaries. :getin:

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
google ruan potts

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
here's a snack that covers both competitors in the main event: meat on a stick and drive thru chili. you're welcome

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

david carmichael posted:

google ruan potts

"Fangzz"

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Free Nik Lentz. Fire Neil Magny.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I googled Ruan Potts to make sure that wasn't a typo, he's a South African heavyweight which can only mean fantastic things

Another heavy weight for JT to steam roll when Dana finally calls me back

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I still don't know who Nik Lentz is. Its been years.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Jesus, Neil Magny is really on the main card over Eddie Wineland. They could have at least had the decency to put Wineland on Fight Pass instead of on a channel that does not exist.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Count Roland posted:

he's sort of weird looking midwestern guy. Career highlights:

Racked up an extensive undefeated streak at 155 but it wasn't so glamorous because:
  • notoriously boring wrestler
  • lost to Thiago Tavares but earned a "draw" due to a point deduction.
  • fought against Andre Winner to decision on a Spike TV prelim show. it was such a bad stalling fight that he was banished to prelims FOREVER because of it, probably cost a few PPV buys.
  • got beaten up pretty badly by Waylon Lowe before pulling off a comeback submission in the 3rd round. Who's Waylon Lowe? Exactly.
  • absolutely lost to Tyson Griffin but managed to win a split decision. Dana was upset about that one.
  • got pulverized by Charles Oliveira in a good fight but managed to get it ruled a No Contest after the fact.
  • finally lost two times in a row to Bocek and Dunham. He got beaten up pretty badly in those fights. Most people though he was finally going to be cut.
However, he hooked up with Mike Dolce, dropped down to 145, changed his camp & training habits, and did well at featherweight. But that was short lived because then he ran into Chad Mendes and was outclassed real badly. This wouldn't have been so bad except Chad Mendes was almost dying from a flu during that fight and he still couldn't do anything to Mendes. So here we are, lower on the card than ever before, the Fight Pass Prelims.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
He wasn't "almost dying" from the flu he had a sinus infection four weeks before the fight and punched himself out. Lentz went after the body the entire fight.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yeah Lentz did a pretty good amount of damage to Chad standing and off his back. He just couldn't stop the takedowns.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

vainman posted:

He wasn't "almost dying" from the flu he had a sinus infection four weeks before the fight and punched himself out. Lentz went after the body the entire fight.

I couldn't remember to be honest, I just know it wasn't a great fight and Mendes didn't have to do a lot to win it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

vainman posted:

Unless he reversed course afterwards the story told after the fight was he had been fighting it for weeks and felt like poo poo the night of the fight.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
http://mmajunkie.com/2013/12/ufc-on-fox-9-results-photos-chad-mendes-wins-fifth-straight-tops-nik-lentz

Looks like a little bit of both. Was sick four weeks ago, felt sick again week of.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lloyd Boner posted:

Jesus, Neil Magny is really on the main card over Eddie Wineland. They could have at least had the decency to put Wineland on Fight Pass instead of on a channel that does not exist.

Meltzer has been saying they have more viewers for the Fight Pass cards than they had for the FS2 cards which is pretty funny. They also get more viewers for Fight Pass prelims than when they were on facebook.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
Seriously though. Why the gently caress is Eddie Wineland on the prelims?

I have a soft spot for the whole RoufusSport camp, and am very much looking forward to seeing him beat the crap out Cruikshanks. Who I always confuse with Wonderboy Thompson for some reason.... but yeah. What are your breakdowns of that fight? I feel like Koch will have a decided edge standing and Joe Rogan will act very surprised at how easily he dismantles Karate guy.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

MassRafTer posted:

Meltzer has been saying they have more viewers for the Fight Pass cards than they had for the FS2 cards which is pretty funny. They also get more viewers for Fight Pass prelims than when they were on facebook.

I'll buy the notion (reluctantly) that he has a source for PPV numbers in some way, but how in the hell would he have the slightest inclination on Fight Pass viewers?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Is it so hard to believe that a journalist who has followed the sport since its inception would have a source who would be able to give him an idea of how many Fight Pass viewers they have? It's a much easier thing to track and count up than PPV buys. I can go on twitch.tv and see that there are still 1,800 people watching twitch plays pokemon right now.

Hell his source is probably Joe Silva.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

-Atom- posted:

I'll buy the notion (reluctantly) that he has a source for PPV numbers in some way, but how in the hell would he have the slightest inclination on Fight Pass viewers?

He's always more reliable in MMA on the business end, probably the same people who broke the details of their last Strikeforce contract or whatever, maybe the dude who used to contribute to his site and works in their German division. Maybe Joe Silva wrote an angry letter about Pancrase? If business is good (and it sounds like Fight Pass is doing well) you are more apt to let the beans spill.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Eddie Wineland on the prelims and Neil Magny on the main card? Thats crazy

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Lloyd Boner posted:

It's a much easier thing to track and count up than PPV buys. I can go on twitch.tv and see that there are still 1,800 people watching twitch plays pokemon right now.

Hell his source is probably Joe Silva.

What? The only entity that has access to how many people subscribe and watch Fight Pass is Zuffa. So yeah, it is a bit different since the two sources have nothing to do with each other.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Meat Recital posted:

Free Nik Lentz. Fire Neil Magny.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Pwny_Xpress posted:

I feel like Koch will have a decided edge standing and Joe Rogan will act very surprised at how easily he dismantles Karate guy.

Cruikshank has pretty respectable wrestling for a karate dude, doesn't he? Perhaps Koch will suffer a grappling. I'd be surpised if it were easy for him at least.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Decades posted:

Cruikshank has pretty respectable wrestling for a karate dude, doesn't he? Perhaps Koch will suffer a grappling. I'd be surpised if it were easy for him at least.

Cruikshank is okay at wrestling and striking but is just kind of dumb and bad at fighting.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
There's so much weird misinformation during this weigh-in broadcast I can hardly believe it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Weigh ins are that magical time that makes me forget Welterweight doesn't max out at 175.

Shoobis
Nov 10, 2009
Wineland's opponent hasn't fought in almost exactly two years and it was against Jeff Curran who I thought retired like 3 years ago so this is a squash match it seems.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Shoobis posted:

Wineland's opponent hasn't fought in almost exactly two years and it was against Jeff Curran who I thought retired like 3 years ago so this is a squash match it seems.

Well he's only had 2 other real MMA fights and they were to Assuncao and Gomi, so, maybe he's okay. Wineland is very good though.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Sprecherscrow posted:

There is one dude on the card who has actually been in a title fight and he's on the prelims for some reason.

It's because he's a top 10 bantamweight.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I watch EFC Africa sometimes because I want to see what MMA would look like if wrestling didn't exist. His cardio is bad even for a South African heavyweight and he sometimes falls on his back even if his opponent isn't trying to take him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Count Roland posted:

• Locked thread