Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
after neil magny's first win on the tuf finale i actually said something along the lines of 'magny showed promise and want to see more from him'. i think i might be neil magny's only fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

A facial expression has never been more worthy of its owner's nickname than Tim "the Dirty Bird" Means

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Means ahead on the walkout music round of judging.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I remember Neil Magny looked kind of good last time he fought so I'm pretty sure I know nothing about MMA anymore.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Tim Means is pretty bad so Magny might be able to pick up another W here.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Was he in such good shape the night of the fight of the century?

If I remember correctly, in Palelei's post-fight interview with Ariel Helwani he explained that he'd injured a rib during training a week before the fight so he was already in poo poo condition. Then during the fight, basically the first thing that happened was Krylov landed a kick to the injured rib. At the time I thought he was probably just making excuses, but going by his performances against Pat Barry and this poor bastard it looks like he might have been telling the truth. He doesn't seem like a particularly good fighter or anything but Palelei-Krylov was so bad that it's sort of weird and dreamlike in my recollection.

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!
I've never seen Mangy fight. What am I in for?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

neil magny

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

EvanSchenck posted:

If I remember correctly, in Palelei's post-fight interview with Ariel Helwani he explained that he'd injured a rib during training a week before the fight so he was already in poo poo condition. Then during the fight, basically the first thing that happened was Krylov landed a kick to the injured rib. At the time I thought he was probably just making excuses, but going by his performances against Pat Barry and this poor bastard it looks like he might have been telling the truth. He doesn't seem like a particularly good fighter or anything but Palelei-Krylov was so bad that it's sort of weird and dreamlike in my recollection.

I thought goons overhyped how bad the fight was generally, with the exception of the final takedown attempt from Krylov in which he attempted a sloppy double leg then was too tired to stand up so curled up for a nap on the mat.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

He was on the worst season of TUF where every fight went to a boring decision. He did not even make it to the finals.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Means is winning.

Edit: Nope.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
This is a replay from an earlier fight and something crazy is about to happen, right?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That earlier fight was as trashweight as it gets. "yep let me just get my leg over your gut here, thanks m8"

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Spinning bitch slap

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I can't remember anything from the Means fights I've seen before but so far it seems as if the majority of his offence is very slowly, sedately even, walking forward into clinch range.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Neil, when you knock a guy on his rear end he's supposed to be the one clinging to a desperation takedown.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
This sure is a Neil Magny fight.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Nice calf stomps

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Means looks like a talented fighter in a creepy redneck.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

MacDougall posted:

paging mike pierce

e: pierce? pyle

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Magny's corner psyching him up for some tepid kickboxing.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Magny should try to lay and pray in the third because I think Means is going to go all give no gently caress redneck on short notice that's actually holding is own quite well on him.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

MacDougall posted:

He needs the Pyle-cut

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's pretty funny that Magny is so diligent in circling away but the minute Means pushes forward he does the Arlovski dash into the fence.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Neurosis posted:

I thought goons overhyped how bad the fight was generally, with the exception of the final takedown attempt from Krylov in which he attempted a sloppy double leg then was too tired to stand up so curled up for a nap on the mat.

It was a combination of both guys being completely gassed within the first minute or so plus the weird poo poo Krylov was doing off his back. He was throwing up a lot of stuff that sort of looked vaguely like submission attempts but didn't correspond to any actual thing.

1st AD posted:

Nice calf stomps

Means is actually doing a number of odd things, like those open-hand slaps to the ear from the clinch.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Split draw double DQ

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

hahahah magny victory 4 more years! 4 more years! 4 more years!

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Hmm Means has some skills but seems to just lack polish and fight IQ. What camp is he from?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Neil "The Real Deal, 170 pounds of Steel & Sex Appeal" Magny

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

MacDougall posted:

Magny should try to lay and pray in the third because I think Means is going to go all give no gently caress redneck on short notice that's actually holding is own quite well on him.

The only thing Neil. Magny should do is go to night school and get a degree because this prize fighting thing is obviously not making him happy, much less the people around him forced to watch his fights

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MacDougall posted:

Hmm Means has some skills but seems to just lack polish and fight IQ. What camp is he from?

Google says Power MMA, I think that's where Bader trains.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
This fight should be loving cool.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I am glad this fight is happening, it will be good and a perfect change of pace from basically everything else about this main card

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This fight should be loving cool.

Oh wait it only just occurred to me what exactly we're about to see!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

I am glad this fight is happening, it will be good and a perfect change of pace from basically everything else about this main card

Yeah, I'm glad I decided to cook after the Cariaso fight.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Cruickshank is dumb enough to lose a boring fight, don't you worry

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

Cruickshank is dumb enough to lose a boring fight, don't you worry

But Koch isn't. He will keep coming until he knocks you out or he gets knocked out.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
The kickiest of fights

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
WHOA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Jesus christ Cruikshank got violent QUICK

• Locked thread