Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

we will never know because he was citizen's arrested to jail.
In two minutes.

Does anyone else read Sandy's lines in the book in John Goodman's voice? I'd want Goodman to play him but he's a little too old and it might feel like a rehash of his character in Argo. And I hated Argo.

It still blows my mind that the woman behind the counter in the coffee shop scene was Tommy's old scene partner from Jean Shelton's acting class. The one who stood awkwardly on stage while Tommy shuffled around, yelling, "STEELLLLAAA!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tenzarin posted:

The movie goes way out of its way to show Johnny is such a great guy adopted a drug using college student, out going all the vendors make him out to be a big customer. How much drugs did he get from that drug dealer, we will never know because he was citizen's arrested to jail.
WHAT KIND OF DRUGS DENNY?! :stonk:

Also, if you're a fan of The Room and want to have a good chuckle:
http://theroomsoundboard.com/

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ensign_Ricky posted:

^^:stonk: shudder

One of the best parts of the Highlander Rifftrax is when they start comparing Christopher Lambert's accent to Tommy's.

"Oh hai, Lander!"

hehehe vs. hhhahaha .

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

WHAT KIND OF DRUGS DENNY?! :stonk:

STOP GANGING UP ON ME!!:cry:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

IT MATTERS A GREAT DEAL!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

CelticPredator posted:

IT MATTERS A GREAT DEAL!

THIS IS NOT THE WAY YOU MAKE MONEY!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

YOU'RE NOT MY loving MOTHER!

Denny is the best character.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BhqnFva6TU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'll never understand Deny in that scene.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Denny's character makes more sense if you assume he's mildly disabled in some way or another.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Denny's character makes more sense if you assume he's mildly disabled in some way or another.

Hell, he's so good at portraying mentally disabled that Tommy actually thinks that the actor himself is retarded.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I bet the police love it when you keep the pistol related to a crime.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Tenzarin posted:

I bet the police love it when you keep the pistol related to a crime.

Well, I like Greg's interpretation of Mark, that he's an undercover NARC, which is why he has to keep his weed on the roof.

However, has it ever been confirmed that the gun Johnny uses is Chris R's?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

CelticPredator posted:

YOU'RE NOT MY loving MOTHER!

Denny is the best character.

It's Chris R and that isn't even up for debate.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

weekly font posted:

You'll love Chris-R even more after reading the book.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

weekly font posted:

Chris R is the best actor easily of the whole bunch. But Denny makes me laugh more. He's just so loving weird.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Dude, that's one of those movies that not even a riffing could save.

On a side note, who's going to pick up the audiobook version of The Disaster Artist? I'm not usually one for those, but Greg's doing his best Tommy-accent in it, so...

For those interested, here's the first snippet released from the audiobook, with Greg doing a great Tommy impression while recounting the shooting of the flower shop scene:

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2014/05/14/the-room-greg-sestero-tommy-wiseau-james-franco/

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You'll love Chris-R even more after reading the book.
WHERE'S MY loving MONEY, TOMMY?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Celery Face posted:

WHERE'S MY loving MONEY, TOMMY?

Come to think of it, Tommy has to have balls of solid steel to try to cheat a guy built like that.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Chairman Capone posted:

I suspected he was from Poland given the fact that he originally emigrated to France when leaving Eastern Europe, and throughout the twentieth century there were very close patterns of emigration from Poland to France which the Cold War just added an extra dimension to.
Living through the Cold War would explain much of his fetishistic appropriations of Americana that is displayed in the book, such as finding the American dream through owning a store selling jeans and flying massive American flags.

Along with latching onto James Dean and Marlon Brando, football and "prom night" style formal wear.

My fav bit from the book was Tommy's cunning ploy behind getting a SAG card, filming himself in several commercials for his own clothing store.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m9b-RDBodE

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

WebDog posted:

Living through the Cold War would explain much of his fetishistic appropriations of Americana that is displayed in the book, such as finding the American dream through owning a store selling jeans and flying massive American flags.

Along with latching onto James Dean and Marlon Brando, football and "prom night" style formal wear.

To say nothing of his fascinations with American slang like "Don't worry about it" and "Xamine your zipper".

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Come to think of it, Tommy has to have balls of solid steel to try to cheat a guy built like that.

I mean, pretty much everything else leads to that conclusion too. :v:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tripwyre posted:

For those interested, here's the first snippet released from the audiobook, with Greg doing a great Tommy impression while recounting the shooting of the flower shop scene:

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2014/05/14/the-room-greg-sestero-tommy-wiseau-james-franco/

Jesus, this is hilarious. He should go on a tour just reading this.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So if you're in the LA Area, on June 16th at 7:30, Greg, Juliette Danielle, Robyn Paris, and Kyle Vogt will be at Skylight Books promoting the audio version of The Disaster Artist.

I'm hoping they recreate some scenes with either Greg as Tommy or special guest James Franco debuting his Tommy impression.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

As I've said in other threads, I first saw The Room in 2010 when one of my friends turned me on to it and I was immediately hooked. I watched it a few more times on my own and with different groups of friends and loved how it was consistently hilarious and never seemed to get old for me.

Then a local single-screen theater started playing the movie at midnight every so often. I went the first time they screened it and I was totally unaware of all the in-jokes like the commentary yelled by audience members and the throwing of spoons every time a framed picture of a spoon is shown on screen. I enjoyed it immensely and went several more times and joined in each time. And in early 2013, I even met Tommy and Greg when they attended one of the screenings at that theater and Tommy signed my Blu-Ray. He's just as weird in person as you might think.

That was right before Greg started writing The Disaster Artist, or maybe he had just started writing it, but he promised us a book about the making of the movie was coming. So when it came out, I read it and laughed my rear end off throughout the whole thing because it was completely absurd. Tommy is the weirdest human being in existence, which almost makes him seem like an extraterrestrial. So naturally all of Greg's stories about him are totally ridiculous. Greg came back to the same theater in January of this year to do a Disaster Artist event during which he signed books (I got mine signed), read excerpts from the book, showed a video of the cast members in the present day reflecting back on their experiences, and brought a copy of the original script for the movie and brought audience members on stage to read parts with him. If you can believe it, the original script is even more insane than what ended up making the final cut.

I've seen The Room...probably over 20 times at this point, and I'm still not tired of it. It's honestly become one of my all-time favorite movies over the past few years because I can revisit it so many times and never get tired of it. And every time I go see it at midnight at the local theater, the crowds are always different, so just when I think I've heard everything I can hear from an audience during that movie, a new crowd will yell stuff during a screening that I've never heard before and I'll laugh and laugh. It's such a dynamic experience.

I can't wait to see what happens with The Disaster Artist movie. I mean, at this point I can't really imagine a scenario where it isn't totally absurd and hilarious.

What's with the throwing of spoons.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
In one scene, it was decided that the room needed some kind of decoration. Someone went down to the thrift store and grabbed some cheapo picture frames, which all had stock photos of spoons in them, and Tommy was so impatient to get on with filming that he demanded they use the frames as-is (with the spoons). So now, at screenings of The Room, whenever the spoons appear everyone throws plastic spoons.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Is there a list anywhere of the stuff you're supposed to do during midnight showings, similar to Rocky Horror? I've only heard about spoon throwing, football tossing, and yelling gently caress the dress.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

MorgaineDax posted:

Is there a list anywhere of the stuff you're supposed to do during midnight showings, similar to Rocky Horror? I've only heard about spoon throwing, football tossing, and yelling gently caress the dress.

The AV Club has got you covered.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Tripwyre posted:

This is loving great, I'm making my way through the book right now but I might spring for the audiobook just to hear more of that impression. :allears:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
One of the most impressive things about the book is how supportive Tommy is of it, considering how paranoid he is about his private life. Apparently he calls it "The Red Bible".

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, if it was anyone other than Greg doing it he'd probably be pissed. Aren't they actually really close friends?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Honestly, if it was anyone other than Greg doing it he'd probably be pissed. Aren't they actually really close friends?

Greg is pretty much Tommy's only friend. But that hasn't stopped Tommy from going batshit insane on previous occasions where Greg has let little tidbits of his life slip.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I listen to a fair few podcasts, and a lot of them have deals with Audible (sign up at audible.com/name of the podcast or whatever) where you can get one free audio book download. After hearing that excerpt, I now know for sure what book I'm going to get.
(It's apparently available tomorrow!)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I've never been to a Rocky Horror show or a public screening of The Room, but the idea of the audience doing scripted heckling seems so bizarre to me.

(I know stuff like Rifftrax / MST3K is scripted too, but that's not what I mean of course.)

Ensign_Ricky posted:

One of the most impressive things about the book is how supportive Tommy is of it, considering how paranoid he is about his private life. Apparently he calls it "The Red Bible".

I think anything that will bring him more attention overrides his concerns over his private life. He's okay with calling his obviously unintentionally comedic movie a "dark comedy" after all, since everybody laughs at it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 19, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's only a little bit of scripted heckling. The rest is on the spot and some of it is quite brilliant. Not everything sticks.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

raditts posted:

I've never been to a Rocky Horror show or a public screening of The Room, but the idea of the audience doing scripted heckling seems so bizarre to me.

(I know stuff like Rifftrax / MST3K is scripted too, but that's not what I mean of course.)

it's about being in unison with the group. You're part of the experience of the movie, all saying your lines like actors. Some people ad lib. I've seen some people really tear it up with the ad libs. The script is just the outline really. Also there's differences form theater to theater. The generally accepted script is just one version.

If you still don't get it, just go to a Rocky Horror screening and experience it yourself. It's a good time.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

CelticPredator posted:

It's only a little bit of scripted heckling. The rest is on the spot and some of it is quite brilliant. Not everything sticks.

Because you're a woman works so well every time.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
My friends and I had no clue about the scripted heckling bits when we went until we got a pamphlet of what we're supposed to say and when. The clear answer was not to do that because that's dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly, you see it once in the theater, you get it pretty quick. Spoons is the only thing I participate in, because it's fun to throw literal trash around.

• Locked thread