Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

but this is not the big sick thread, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Squallege posted:

I went and saw the Room tonight at the theater. There was just this guy who would not shut up. Like everyone's doing the spoon thing, the focus, cheering the bridge on all the stuff I've experienced before but this one guy would not shut the gently caress up. None of his jokes were funny. It was nice seeing it on the big screen again though

Same here, I saw it at the local Cinemark as part of the Fandango showing and there were two guys (unsurprisngly both giant neckbeards) who just would not shut the gently caress up and bellowed their own commentary over the entire movie. Kind of took me out of it.

And there was also tons of spoon throwing and the theater attendants at the end were not happy.

There was also a new trailer for Best F(r)iends after that revealed it's going to be released in two volumes, in March and May this year.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was wondering that. Like if you went and saw The Room at an AMC or Regal theater or something, did people still do the spoon throwing and stuff? The only theater I've been to where that's happened was a single screen local theater. I remember when I saw The Room with Rifftrax at an AMC, no one did anything like that and the crowd was full too.

I saw it at a regal last night (for my first time seeing it)

The only all theater bit really was the spoons. There were some scattered shouts of “who the gently caress are you”

And some joker howled with laughter at the penultimate scene (:ninja:)

I felt a little bad about throwing spoons, but the theater sold me beer, so the cleanup crew had to deal with the consequences imo

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Where did you see it?

The Marcus theatres in Green Bay Wisconsin. I’ve been to one of the midnight screenings in Seattle that had Tommy there so it’s not like I was expecting things to be quiet. I will say there were two older gentlemen that had a great time behind me so seeing someone other than a hipster loser like me enjoy the movie was cool too

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I will say that seeing The Room in a theatre does draw attention to some of the more understated and bizarre aspects of it, such as all the lingering closeups of people staring off into nowhere and endless establishing shots of the Golden Gate bridge. I'd watched The Room probably 4/5 times before I ever saw it on the big screen and picked up on so many little things, like Johnny fumbling around forever with the tape recorder or the way he opens, then closes, then opens the box with the gun in it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

exquisite tea posted:

I will say that seeing The Room in a theatre does draw attention to some of the more understated and bizarre aspects of it, such as all the lingering closeups of people staring off into nowhere and endless establishing shots of the Golden Gate bridge. I'd watched The Room probably 4/5 times before I ever saw it on the big screen and picked up on so many little things, like Johnny fumbling around forever with the tape recorder or the way he opens, then closes, then opens the box with the gun in it.

From what I remember, the editor wanted to cut out so much to make the movie tighter, but Tommy acted as if the idea of cutting even one second was tantamount to sacrilege.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The I will record everything scene is one of my favorite things

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
The fact the layout of the house makes about 0 sense bothered me a lot. The scene with peter lounging against the fireplace, that turned out to be in Johnny’s house threw me for a loop

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Chairman Capone posted:

Same here, I saw it at the local Cinemark as part of the Fandango showing and there were two guys (unsurprisngly both giant neckbeards) who just would not shut the gently caress up and bellowed their own commentary over the entire movie. Kind of took me out of it.

Unsurprisingly both giant neckbeards, ladies and gentleman. Aren't we above such things in 2018? Surely there are well behaved ill-shaven nerds?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

The fact the layout of the house makes about 0 sense bothered me a lot. The scene with peter lounging against the fireplace, that turned out to be in Johnny’s house threw me for a loop

Johnny’s bathroom being a darkly lit red room is kinda weird too

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think I have to make this either my new Facebook cover photo or Twitter header

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why is it so hard to believe that he just made his money from real estate. Its not like its outrageously complicated to flip property or collect overpriced rent in a city like SF

he still owns that building too so do naht worry about tommy wiseau

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I thought of another complaint of the movie, they failed to show how in love with America Tommy is! They should had the scene where he forced the 5 minutes of silence for 9/11.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Squallege posted:

Johnny’s bathroom being a darkly lit red room is kinda weird too

maybe johnny is vampire

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I liked but didn't love the movie. I think that it's a little uneven and rough around the edges and has to try hard to reconcile the story of an outsider who wanted to make his dream come true with the fact that he's also a dick a lot of the time. I think Greg in the movie is way more supportive of Tommy than he came across in the book, where it seems more like he's being dragged through this insane experience.

Though it doesn't shy away from what a dick Tommy is at times, it doesn't go anywhere with it. He's a dick in one scene and then he's just not. It's just missing some sort of throughline. The performances are good though.

On that note it made me watch THE ROOM again and I've come to appreciate Sistero and Juliette Danielle a lot more. They're not only in this whole weird thing, to begin with, but they're acting these impossible characters. Look at what Danielle has to do for example. Lisa's character sometimes changes completely within the same scene. You know how whenever actors talk and they always say "What's my motivation?" well they do it for a reason. No one in THE ROOM actually has motivation.

Actually, it made me think of this story from Danielle:

quote:

One of the hardest scenes for me to shoot was the roof scene. Tommy would tell me to act hysterical and be manipulative. The lines where I kept questioning Denny were so hard to deliver. I mean, “What kind of money?” How do you even deliver that line? I still don’t know. One day I was trying to push Tommy for more help on my character. Why is Lisa this way? I’ll never forget what he said to me one day, “That’s the twist.”

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 14, 2018

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DrVenkman posted:

I liked but didn't love the movie. I think that it's a little uneven and rough around the edges and has to try hard to reconcile the story of an outsider who wanted to make his dream come true with the fact that he's also a dick a lot of the time. I think Greg in the movie is way more supportive of Tommy than he came across in the book, where it seems more like he's being dragged through this insane experience.

Though it doesn't shy away from what a dick Tommy is at times, it doesn't go anywhere with it. He's a dick in one scene and then he's just not. It's just missing some sort of throughline. The performances are good though.

On that note it made me watch THE ROOM again and I've come to appreciate Sistero and Juliette Danielle a lot more. They're not only in this whole weird thing, to begin with, but they're acting these impossible characters. Look at what Danielle has to do for example. Lisa's character sometimes changes completely within the same scene. You know how whenever actors talk and they always say "What's my motivation?" well they do it for a reason. No one in THE ROOM actually has motivation.

Actually, it made me think of this story from Danielle:

'That's the Twist'.

Oh my GOD!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, a local theater just announced that Tommy and Greg are coming here in April for a screening of Best F[r]iends and a Q&A

:getin:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Finally saw "The Disaster Artist". It's a great film. Really funny, even if someone is not familiar with The Room (unlike me who's watched it).

That being said, I wonder how much of the film is true, since stuff like Greg not having a bartender girl friend and the big falling out with Tommy never happened.

Was he really that degrading to the actress who played Lisa on set?

bushisms.txt posted:

Unfortunately there's no way we would've gotten awesome moments like Tommy trying to steal the mic if he was portrayed as the villain he is, rather than just a misunderstood "artist" with boundary issues they seem to have put in the movie.

Could you please explain?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bushims thinks Tommy is a villain

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If the film had gone all in with Tommy as a villain then he wouldn't have liked it and probably not showed up to grab the mic in the first place.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Holy poo poo, a local theater just announced that Tommy and Greg are coming here in April for a screening of Best F[r]iends and a Q&A

:getin:

Just got back from one of these. I got the impression greg is loving sick of it lol, he just stood there looking bored and annoyed.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

hemale in pain posted:

Just got back from one of these. I got the impression greg is loving sick of it lol, he just stood there looking bored and annoyed.

What'd you think of Best F[r]iends? Looks wild.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

hemale in pain posted:

i'd be the same way if my livelihood depended on being shackled to tommy wiseau for the rest of my life

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Greg has fun when there’s something going on, like the live reading he does here in Denver. But I can’t imagine it’s fun to stand around and watch Tommy, Tommy it up all the time.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Origami Dali posted:

i'd be the same way if my livelihood depended on being shackled to tommy wiseau for the rest of my life

Yeah, when I saw him in Waterloo a few months ago, I kind of got that same vibe. Nice guy and fielded some really good questions for the audience, but I wasn't sure he really wanted to be there.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFjFxgHedgM

If they ever make Batman campy again I'd love to see them just go with this.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

But Tommy not villain, he great American hero.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm watching it for the second time and oh my god all the song lyric jokes are slaying me, I missed most of them before

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-streaming-void-berman

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So, anyone seeing Best F(r)iends tomorrow? Their site says nation-wide release, but I can't find it showing anywhere in the usual big-city indie theaters.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chairman Capone posted:

So, anyone seeing Best F(r)iends tomorrow? Their site says nation-wide release, but I can't find it showing anywhere in the usual big-city indie theaters.
I'm seeing a double feature of it and The Room with Tommy and Greg in attendance, but that's not til next Friday.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. I’m gonna see it tomorrow at the theater behind my house.

Greg is coming back to Denver but I’ve met the guy like 3 times already and he remembers me so I think I should lay off haha.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I am seeing it tomorrow with my present wife.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I met Greg Sestero briefly at Alamo KC. We weren't there for The Room party...but he was happy to chat with me and my friends about Pacific Rim for a couple minutes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s three people in this theater lmao.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This film was truly bizarre.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I checked on Flixster, and nowhere in a hundred miles of me has it. I can’t say I’m actually surprised.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Unfortunately, I felt it was mostly just boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was truly bizarre and boring at the same time.

Also Greg liked coming here to Denver I guess. I’ll have to see part 2 to find out what he may have filmed here.

• Locked thread