Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WEREWAIF posted:

Bogdan Bogdanovic

I'm certain this guy has been drafted 3 or 4 times already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Crazy Ted posted:

WHAT

Crowd-sourcing a draft pick?

Seems worth a shot, the draft is a crapshoot anyway, may as well get some press around it.

Willninho posted:

There's a Bogdan and Bojan Bogdanovic. The Nets have the rights to Bojan but 2 other teams had his rights before.

You're just making up funny names now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

I think it's fine but "the draft is a crapshoot so who cares!" is a really dumb reason. It's not a complete crapshoot. There is a reason some teams are way better at it than others.

I meant that having another data point, even if it is a dumb/useless one, likely isn't going to change the needle. If the guy who would have gotten picked 6th gets picked 5th, you likely haven't changed your odds of hitting the home run that much.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd take Bennett over Rivers in a heartbeat. Bennett will probably be an ok player, he was fighting injuries last year. He probably won't be good, but I'd be surprised if he's not at least a rotation guy through his career. I wouldn't be surprised if Rivers has trouble getting into rotations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

As I think about it, letting Cleveland have a do-over from last year doesn't seem unfair.

jimcunningham posted:

Kings to package pick w/ Gay and filler for Love?

Also, do the Magic go with Smart. Can the run him and Vic at the same time?

For the #8 and Rudy loving Gay I'd rather have 1 season of Love.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

This year's No. 1 + future picks + a few prospects might be the best Minnesota could get for Love, though even Cleveland might not be stupid enough to do that trade without an extension.

I'm as off the "Panic Trade Love" bandwagon as you can get and I would green light the No. 1 + filler in this draft for him. You probably wouldn't need to toss in anything of value. Maybe Waiters to save face on the pick.

Love was in those commercials with Irving so maybe he'd be happy there? They'd basically be a 2nd round team in the East right away.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Niwrad posted:

The thing with draft picks is you have them under control for 7 years and often at a rate under market value.

It's 2 years guaranteed, 2 years team option, 1 year RFA. So its 4 year of control, and 1 year of drivers seat. Not sure where you get 7, unless your saying the draft pick HAS to sign max first contract, which they usually do but don't have to.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Icy Penguigo posted:

Yeah, I'd rather have 20 year old Wiggins for 7 years at way below his value and hopefully build something than Kevin Love for 20+ million a year, especially given that the last thing Cleveland needs is a known locker room problem with a huge head.

Love is at 15 mil next year and that only raises about 1 mil a year. It's well below his real value too. Wiggins/Embiid will take a few years to develop too. If they want to compete right away, those guys probably aren't a great answer. Probably way smarter long-haul though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

And they should be held to a higher standard when it comes to overlooking Drummond that Average Internet Fan

This isn't fair, because then you also have to poo poo on other teams for not doing more to trade up to take Drummond. Drummond had HUGE red flags as a prospect, and I don't think anyone, pro or amateur, ranked him that high. Barnes would have been the "right" pick but I'm not too sure Waiters is that huge of a step down.

I will agree Bennett isn't a historic bust because of how bad the alternatives were, but it was a bad pick and shouldn't be defended.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I forget where, but I heard Embiid described as "a 7 foot Serge Ibaka."

How accurate is this? He's a 7 foot shotblocker with elite help defense and an automatic midrange jumpshot? Sounds better than the upside of Wiggins or Parker...

Err, no. Embiid will likely be a more traditional paint defender rather than a weak-side roamer, and while I suspect Embiid's jumper won't be as good as Ibaka's has been, he's craftier down low. They are both light on their feet, but their roles will be different.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I cannot wait to see who Darko's this draft.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ty1990 posted:

As a Sixers fan who should I want at 3? Embiid or Parker?

I thought Parker was the right choice at first but this thread is swaying my opinion.

This is assuming the Cavs and Bucks don't gently caress it up and pass on Wiggins.

Parker is a surer thing but Embiid has a higher ceiling. If you get the chance, you should probably go Embiid. I suspect Parker will be the one available though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Where would Mirotic fall if he was in this draft? I'm trying to explain to a friend why a bulls trade is the best option for the Wolves (barring Cleveland giving up the #1 pick).

He still hasn't made a commitment, so probably middle somewhere. I'm not sure if the Bulls are a good partner unless they include Butler.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Celtics can give a shitload of picks which might be interesting, but I wouldn't move Love for anything short of a top-3 pick to start. Taj/Mirotic/2 middle firsts is weak I think, remember Taj makes 8 mil next year, which is still a deal but not incredible. Taj/Butler/Mirotic/Picks and I'd probably pull the trigger.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

kiimo posted:

Well that's what he shot in college anyway.

They moving the line back in?

If Larry Sanders stops imploding they could play Giannis at the 4 and play another wing shooter. Also, if the Bucks get Wiggins they shouldn't be trying to be good next year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DOOP posted:

With the Kings shopping the #8 pick, would Thad + Stuff for #8 be a (good) thing that could happen? The Kings almost did a Thad/Cousins deal last draft, so it could be possible.

Sixers. Veteran presence. What's that?

Eh, 19 million for 2 more years of Thad isn't steller and I don't think the Kings would want another PF. So probably not.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

He has an ETO in the second year, and I imagine he'd want a long-term deal.

Would he get more than 10 mil out on the market? I guess I would assume he'd stick around for that year, but either way an ETO is another reason his value drops for a trade.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Also, even if a team is 100% on who they want, they take the opportunity to talk to guys and get a sense for how other teams are acting and just to get a sense of who the other players are in this draft class. Also, like WhyteRyce mentioned, you never know who might offer you a deal and if you know players already you can make the best call.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Rudy Gay as our stretch 4 I'm down

Derrick Williams will never be the stretch 4 he was born to be because the NBA Gods hate Derrick Williams.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I suspect McDermott will be disappointing but he'll be in the NBA for a while. Worst case scenario is James Jones. Plus a bust really needs to be in the top-10. If I had to vote now, declaring Exum a top-5 guy in this draft might seem stupid a year from now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They could also see what happens and offer their #3 and #10 if someone takes Wiggins.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Uhh, Exum's biggest problem is not enough game tape on him and he's limiting who he talks to to essentially one team that will actually draft him? I'm calling him my bust pick.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

McDermott will be an off-the-ball guy. He's going to score off catch and shoots, curls, and some cuts and garbage down low when they try to hide someone on him. I am not high on him at all but I think he'd make Sacramento better right away.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

vegaji posted:

Cavs leaked a report that Embiid failed their physical to a Cleveland talk radio host. Now, Rotoworld ran a story that the Cavs actually cleared Embiid just fine and leaked that story to encourage the Bucks to take Parker #2 of they take the 76ers deal to trade up for Wiggins.

I don't know what's worse, that the Cavaliers would do that and then just completely invalidate it by fessing up to it, or that this kind of story is so stupid that I believe it because its the Cavs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Unless a medical red flag comes up on one of them probably not.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Why would Parker be a bad #1 pick? I'd probably go Wiggins but I could definitely see someone liking Parker more.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WEREWAIF posted:

The worst thing about Simmons on The Draft is his assertion that agents only want their clients to go to, A. The Lakers, because they're the Lakers, and B.Boston, because... a historical legacy of racism... to learn under the wing of Kelly Olynyk?? He never quite gives a reason. It's the same way that the Obvious destination for every superstar becomes Boston.

I'm more annoyed by his assertion that other teams would be compliant in getting giving Boston players because of "leverage". He really is terrible around draft time and he was a lot more fun when he took the "I'm an outsider making fun of the pageantry" as opposed to now where he claims his opinions have weight.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

OK guys, who would be the best pick for the Cavs at #1, who will they actually pick, and what spot would that guy have gone if smarter teams had the top spot?

Thank you for boiling that quickly-tired joke down to it's salient points.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Exum not wanting to work out for people has dropped my consideration of him, but I still think he goes top-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

Eh, not working out either means he got a promise from someone or he's trying to trick a team into thinking he got a promise from someone. No harm in gaming the system a bit

I think this is true if you have a body of work, but if your an unknown it would worry me a bit. Like I said, he's still probably going top-5.

I thought it was more than just the Cavs, I thought he only had 2 or 3 teams he'd work out for.

• Locked thread