Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Chris de Sperg posted:

I'm pretty certain the "7 foot Serge Ibaka" comment came from Bill Simmons soooooooo

It did. And yeah, aside from them both being athletic and blocking shots I don't see the similarity. Embiid doesn't look to have the outside game that Ibaka has, and Ibaka has never shown the kind of footwork around the basket that Embiid has. He has his moments, but never as consistent.

Then again, Ibaka didn't really show any signs of having any sort of consistent outside game until mid-2012. As it is now, I trust him more than anyone else on the team to score off a 15-foot isolation (including KD). So the NBA is weird, it's hard to tell what talents guys will end up putting work into or developing into reliable weapons. I don't like the Embiid comparison though, even defensively. As somebody pointed out, they're not even the same kind of shot-blocker. Embiid seems like much more of a straight-up post defender whereas Ibaka is more of a roamer. Embiid appears to be built thicker down low than Ibaka, who's more narrow in the waist and rear end. They're just really different players, and I don't think Embiid projects out to be much like Ibaka.

But they both look good running, so they're the same guy, because :Simmons:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

commy gun posted:

Ryen Russillo did an article on some scouts take on Embiid, Wiggins, Parker and Randle: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ryen-russillos-nba-draft-confidential-real-scouts-on-wiggins-randle-embiid-and-parker/

Does Jabari Parker have enough "DEEZ NUTS" in his game?

"Scout 1" who is apparently an NBA GM who is probably Danny Ainge or something sounds like a big dumbass in that article who's just regurgitating media narratives. I always assume anonymous league GMs who contribute to these articles are the terrible ones anyway.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I feel like PJ Hairston has got to be fool's gold because I watch videos of him and see that he's a reasonable get for the Thunder and he just looks too good to be true. Anybody who actually watched him on the regular that can tell me why he's actually poo poo and not as good as he seems?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Metapod posted:

If the Thunder draft him he will become a top 50 player

Well it's settled them Hairston hype train leaving the station in my heart

The last time this happened it was Perry Jones though, and then we actually got him, and then ???

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Metapod posted:

Jones is a very talented player that doesn't get minutes because brooks is an awful coach who would rather play Butler and Fisher rather than young more talented players like Jones. Same goes for Roberson

I agree, but what can you do. Maybe Fish will retire and we won't resign Butler. Roberson could be so loving good if we could teach him to shoot at all. He's an unreal defender and rebounder off instinct alone.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Spacebump posted:

@GoodmanESPN
One NBA GM picking in Top 10 on Embiid: "My medical people told me flat-out not to take him."

I'll be shocked if nobody picks Embiid in the top 10.

Somebody will. Less promising guys with just as glaring red flags have gone higher, somebody is going to be willing to take the risk (probably one of the larger market franchises like Boston or LA that aren't completely reliant on having to knock draft picks out of the park to build good teams)

There's no question his medical issues are a real big deal, but I think now we're starting to get into bluffing territory where the mid-lottery teams are racing to the bottom to tell the media how much they totally wouldn't take Embiid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

morestuff posted:

I feel like teams are getting a lot more cautious about this type of stuff, though. Blair and Sullinger's slides come to mind.

Neither of those guys were even remotely the prospect Embiid is

• Locked thread