Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
uh
This poll is closed.
embiid 41 32.28%
wiggins 86 67.72%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

For lack of a better place to put this, former Baylor center Isaiah Austin just announced that he was yesterday diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder that deteriorates the body's connective tissue. Needless to say, his basketball career is over. It also sounds like his life might be shortened considerably, as (unless I'm mistaken - I just learned about the disorder today) there is no cure and the disorder can lead to Aortic Enlargement (which could itself lead to heart failure) and other life-threatening issues.

So, you know...gently caress. :smith:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

pylb posted:

Definitely sucks for him, but his life isn't necessarily shortened:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/117/21/2802.long

Well, that's something, at least. Still, brutal news for Isaiah. From the cusp of the draft to square zero in a day. I can't even imagine.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

roundmidnight posted:

Wow. I assume the NBA will void his draft status and Baylor will honour his scholarship and let him go back and complete his degree. Hopefully he can get a job with the school if he wants it.

Baylor's announcement has already confirmed that Isaiah is welcome to come back and finish his degree on scholarship, and Drew's announced his hope that Austin will be a part of the coaching staff - I'm not entirely sure if Austin's officially taken him up on the job yet, though. Still, nice to see Baylor doing the right thing here.

Probably Magic posted:

Isn't Marfan really connected to giantism? That might explain also why he was always a beanpole and never seemed to put on any muscle. Or maybe that's not how Marfan works at all.

Either way, that really sucks.

I thought the same thing. Makes it really impressive that he ever became as good as he did, honestly.

• Locked thread