Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Aces High posted:

while Heroes 2 didn't have a generator I swear it had a map editor so you could make your own scenarios. Maybe that was just the Gold edition though

I had the gold edition and I had a map editor.
I used to make hilariously lobsided maps, my side needs more gold mines and artifacts! I want the Anduran (or however it was spelled, those special artifacts that could combine into a single super artifacts) artifacts on my side of the map. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There was a map in Heroes 2 that was a hilariously large, heavily condensed maze with a time limit to complete. I either added the ghost structure to recruit ghosts or added a starter group to the hero, then see how big a stack I could get.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Aces High posted:

while Heroes 2 didn't have a generator I swear it had a map editor so you could make your own scenarios. Maybe that was just the Gold edition though

You could randomly generate a map in the map editor, which could be used as a kind of map generator. Fairly certain this was a part of the expansion.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Update 16
Last time we invaded lord Slayers lands and took over two of the six castles. It’s like being half way there if you’re bad at math. Let’s see how far I can get this time.

Day 38

These two guys want to talk. I have decided that Antoine will not be staying here with units. He will instead head back to get more reinforcements. You may see him again sometime near the end of the update…possibly…maybe. There was a gazebo hidden in the fog of war there and after the swapmeet Kilburn visited it.

Troyan also visits a gazebo and like Kilburn gets no level ups.

Hey look, it’s Crodo! I’m starting to get worried, why am I still not the strongest! :argh:

Day 39

New victims for Kilburn!

The first challenger is Atlas, who we’ve already defeated but he ran away. Let’s try that again.

You can see how this is going. Interestingly despite getting good morale the AI decides to keep the ogres where they are. At this point I would've gone on full on offensive, but what do I know. Now, how can I kill him in one go. I think I’ll blind the goblins. Have the paladins kill the ogres and the cavalry can kill the trolls. The goblins being blind will not be able to move so he can’t run before my archers get their turn and I win.

So far so good.

And the archers finish the job.

Pretty good.

Trinkets! I can give that to Troyan. A nice +2 defense.

Old coins! Chicks dig old coins, so this is going to Troyan. It provides a +1 luck.

Is there no end to this…it’s so tempting to have Kilburn wear two pairs of shoes. But Troyan can really use these. Also, knowledge +1.

Next up Ergon.
I don’t feel like doing the first attack, so I just keep my cavalry where they are.

The cavalry do 1.702 in damage. Those wolves are splattered all over the landscape.

I have faith that my paladins can kill those Cyclops.

My trust is not betrayed, two attacks kills them all.

I suddenly realize that the AI will flee if I wait for my archers to finish the job since the orcs had their turn before them last round. So a quick lightning bolt should fix this problem.

Victory!

Another flail! +1 attack.

Another medal, which is a +1 to morale.

And Kilburn is full, what is missing? :negative: Welp, that medal is lost in the ether now.

Kilburn passes off some artifacts to Antoine who heads towards Troyan.

Day 40

And so we have another very strong hero to help out.

Meanwhile everyone walks around, but the snow slow us down quite a lot so there's not much to show. So instead of a screenshot, imagine looking out the window where the mailman is struggling through heaps of snow while you enjoy a nice hot cup of tea.

Day 41

Finally a new week, so I can get units to fortify our position.

Meanwhile this guy shows up.

This guy is packing 109 goblins, but his army is weak.

I love that spells are so unrestricted in this game. A quick berserk spell on the goblins and let the fun commence. In later games the ability to use this spell is determined by formula comparing your spell power to the enemy unit level and HP.

I sometimes hate that spells are so limited in this game. She dispelled it by casting protection. :smith: What a waste.

Luck is just what we needed.

So the enemy has decided to turtle and keep attacking my trolls. That’s nice, but trolls heal themselves to full each turn and their attacks can’t kill a single troll. So that’s a waiting game I will win.

While waiting the trolls discover that the ogres use conditioner.

And the goblins die again. The rest is mop up, since we’re faster. The trolls even managed to get a lucky shot.

That’s a pretty elite experience I have there.

And this went so well that Troyan gains 2 levels.

Where am I heading?

Not in the wrong direction at least. Thanks Crodo. Yes, he could've cast it himself, but I believe in teamwork.

Day 42

And Kilburn finds his first target. But he’s short a single step. :smith:

Troyan meanwhile also finds a castle and uses a cunning ruse to gain entry.

She knocks down one of the walls in the first turn. Such strategy. :shibewow:

Unfortunately the tower kills a troll each turn. :(

And here is why the ogres are such great garrison units. Decreased damage output due to the wall combined with heaps of HP equals a long siege.

I get tired of waiting on these slow units and cast a 175 damage lightning bolt followed by a Cyclops gaze.

And victory is mine.

Welcome to another Portsmith.

Yog gets an army to help defend our middle two castles and end turn. Why him and not Antoine? I love the irony that he used to belong to the enemy. In addition I just don't like Antoine character portait.

Day 43

And not a moment too soon as another enemy approaches. I can’t check his strength, he’s too well hidden! :ohdear:

Yog goes to pray before the coming battle.

And again the walls are down in one shot. :psyduck: What is happening?

Those ogres are the only real danger. But a single hit from my paladins kills 14 of them.

All those "talks" with Troyan are working, Kilburn gets a +1 in spell power in his level up. He visits the castle quickly to replenish his spells and off he goes again.

Instead of having Troyan follow the barbarian she heads to the next castle.

Day 44

Ergon is short a single step to take my castle.

A quick prayer in C and…

Yog gets to try and earn his keep.

There is a chance that Yog will lose. My wolves are sent on a suicide attack since they would've likely been killed on the enemies turn anyway.

My trolls get to attack twice and I blind his trolls to cancel the protection he cast and keep them from shooting.

The praying is paying. They kill 10 wolves.

I cast curse on the trolls to dispel their bless. The Cyclops will attack the goblins and orcs in a double strike and my archers will gang up on the enemy trolls.

Imagine the beam being suddenly skipping a frame (hence the missed screenshot) to become wider and longer, enveloping the goblins like it's Dragonball Z. You can add screams of disbelief if you like. This kills 11 orcs and all goblins.

They have good morale as well.

And this is great, the Cyclops have paralyzed the enemy trolls. The orcs are killed upon retaliation and I can wait for the ogres to arrive to kill the trolls.

No, I wasn’t joking. I was also moving the archers just because.

Well done Yog. Attack +1.

And Troyan finds another source of our problems.

Day 45

Bad Ergon!

My wolves kill their wolves and their goblins.

I’m not even angry at them. Knowledge +1.

Castle Slayer! We have located the enemy base.

Day 46

It’s well defended at least.

And some extra units from Thundax. Interesting that he's there since he looks so much like lord Slayer on the campaign selection screen.

Is this going to be a thing?

The enemy didn’t run even when things started looking like this. Spell power +1.

Day 47

This is starting to get annoying.

Hello Barok, could you look after my castle please?

It was a short siege consisting of my wolves moving and my trolls throwing twice.

A victory is still a Victory!

Hi Antoine! Welcome back.

This seems very optimistic.

We wait and shoot while blessing the orcs.

The wall is down, but his army has shrunken quite a bit. I was focusing on the ogres.

We still hold our positions.

And then we stab them in the back. Victory!

And we get the medal of distinction again. So it wasn’t lost in the ether, it just went back to the enemy hero. :ms: And with that we have all castles except the enemies main castle. So time to combine the armies and attack.

Day 48
We run to combine and refresh spells.

Day 49
The first bits of army are combined.

Day 50
Troyan and Kilburn exchange pleasantries and have a heartfelt goodbye.

Day 51

Hi Crodo! How nice of you to join us. He came bearing units, which I've already taken from him.

Day 52
It’s a long walk to casa del Slayer.

Day 53

Almost there!

Day 54

Go get them team!

That is quite a serious army and order is restored as we can't knock down walls in a single blow anymore. Let’s blind the trolls first.

I say one thing and do another, we start with a lightning bolt on the trolls. Reason is simple, I expect him to try and disspell my spell. I'd rather pile on the damage and switch to blinding once he starts running out of spells.

He just cast berserk on my Cyclops stack. :ohdear:

That hurt a lot. It also put the swordmen out of comission for the time being. Fortunately, he has a knowledge of 1 so he can only cast it once.

I blind their Cyclops and attack the wolves.

This is a lucky attack on the wolves.

Followed by a lucky retaliation killing all the wolves. Wolves would be pretty good if they didn't die this easily.

My cavalry are having a hard time and worse is that we still only have one hole to attack with. They suicide sacrifice themselves for the good of the team on the ogres, coming just 1 hp short of killing one.

The paladins are furious at the killing of their buddy cavalry! This leaves only 14 of the ogres left.

And that’s still too much! :black101:

And now he casts anti magic on the Cyclops stack, too little too late Thundax.

Finally a bigger hole and a very nice shot for the Cyclops. So I cast haste on them.

The paladins kill the goblins and get a morale boost so they soften up the trolls.

JUSTICE BEAM!

And the retaliation kills the last of the enemies.

We win this battle, but at a heavy cost. I will never forget my cavalry until I buy new ones. You know, this probably would've been more difficult if he had used that horde of orcs instead of the goblins.

Not that it matters, but good to see that he learned something.

Now to claim victory.

That red box just said that we took the castle and scattered the enemies army. And with that Lord Slayer is defeated and humiliated beyond salvation.

The queen is next. :getin:

That finishes the barbarian face off, but there are two more rivals to go. First we take the fight to the sorceress, I hope I don't get Maximus as a hero. Chicks don't dig green men and more importantly I hate how he looks.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Oh man, now you're stuck against the super fast/ranged glass cannon town. That's going to be a fun shift in strategy.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Hopefully the next map isn't a huge slog to get across, nothing like having to cross deserts or swamps or snow without the advantage of Pathfinding

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Every time you do a discussion of enemy tactics and end it with "Knowledge +1" I immediately think that you were talking about your own knowledge, not the heroes'.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Or the reader's Knowledge, either/or.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Valgaav posted:

Every time you do a discussion of enemy tactics and end it with "Knowledge +1" I immediately think that you were talking about your own knowledge, not the heroes'.

Well, I am learning new things as I go along. :shepface:

Bloodly posted:

Or the reader's Knowledge, either/or.

If only I had something to teach. :smith:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

don't worry Darth, that's what the threads are for :v: I really only learned how to actually play Heroes competently through the Heroes 3 LP threads from this year and 3 years ago

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hey guys,
"Normally" I view this week as update week, however this month is December and holiday preparations got in the way of my usual playing time. I currently have something around a third of an update. I'll have to skip another week.
However this is December so there's a chance more holidays stuff will get in the way. So please beer bear with me as my usually speedy update schedule shifts into reverse.

(I do hope to have something next week.)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Soo, looks like Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is getting an HD makeover with modern online multiplayer support.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

hey if there's another multiplayer LP then we won't have to deal with Hamachi anymore :v:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

my dad posted:

Soo, looks like Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is getting an HD makeover with modern online multiplayer support.

Looks like I might be buying it for a third time.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Holy poo poo that's the best news, you have no idea how long I spent trying to get mp heroes3 to work before giving up because the only solution left was to buy a new router.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 11, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Oh hey, forgot about this LP for a while (mostly due to life and...straight-up pure forgetfulness).

my dad posted:

The word on the street is that it's only going to be Restoration of Erathia, since apparently Ubisoft only got the files/data for RoE from the previous license holder (Activision?)...and nothing pertaining to Armageddon's Blade or Shadow of Death. Unless Ubisoft is just spreading things out over a period of time. Because if it really is only RoE, I'll be fine sticking with the HD mod and the original GOG.com copies.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

my dad posted:

Even better, they'll release it on tablets. I'm normally not that big on tablet gaming, however turnbased strategy and tablets are a match made in heaven. And I don't know about you guys, but hot seat with a tablet = :allears: Too bad my tablet probably won't be able to run it and that I have no one to play it with.

AradoBalanga posted:

Oh hey, forgot about this LP for a while (mostly due to life and...straight-up pure forgetfulness).

The word on the street is that it's only going to be Restoration of Erathia, since apparently Ubisoft only got the files/data for RoE from the previous license holder (Activision?)...and nothing pertaining to Armageddon's Blade or Shadow of Death. Unless Ubisoft is just spreading things out over a period of time. Because if it really is only RoE, I'll be fine sticking with the HD mod and the original GOG.com copies.

:(

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Darth TNT posted:

Even better, they'll release it on tablets. I'm normally not that big on tablet gaming, however turnbased strategy and tablets are a match made in heaven. And I don't know about you guys, but hot seat with a tablet = :allears: Too bad my tablet probably won't be able to run it and that I have no one to play it with.

:(

Do you mean Android/iOS or just windows 8 on tablet?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Hah, I bloody called it.

One thing I'm wondering about - If they're not going to update the cutscenes, won't it be horribly jarring going from the new HD ingame graphics to the 800x600 movies? The movies that looked pretty bad even back then?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

exmachina posted:

Do you mean Android/iOS or just windows 8 on tablet?

It's just like Christmas, you can have all three!

THE BAR posted:

Hah, I bloody called it.

One thing I'm wondering about - If they're not going to update the cutscenes, won't it be horribly jarring going from the new HD ingame graphics to the 800x600 movies? The movies that looked pretty bad even back then?

They're not doing much to the graphics either, just some minor upscaling and a blur on the edges from the screenshots I've seen thus far. There's a funny thread on Neogaf about the comparison shots. Stick puppet Catherine to save the day!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

So one would really just buy it for the online multiplayer, then.

I don't know, it has always been my go-to couch game... But then again, we've always been a Nintendo family.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

THE BAR posted:

Hah, I bloody called it.

And live in a world where someone made Catherine's bizarre thong plate in hd? Its not worth it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Mea culpa, my head wasn't on straight there for a minute. :gonk:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

dang if it's just Restoration then it's not as tempting to get but then again I got along fine for YEARS until I saw a friend playing as Conflux and I was like "what black magic is this?!"

Really just the thought of being able to go online and play against random people was tempting me

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I'm trying to remember what the expansions really added to gameplay other than combination artifacts, a few new creatures, and conflux (which is completely imabalanced anyways). Did they do some balance tweaking on creature prices like archangel?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am really holding out hope that Ubisoft is planning on releasing all of Heroes 3 and not just the base game. :( But...given Ubisoft's recent history, my hopes are understandably low.

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I'm trying to remember what the expansions really added to gameplay other than combination artifacts, a few new creatures, and conflux (which is completely imabalanced anyways). Did they do some balance tweaking on creature prices like archangel?
Thanks to the manuals in the GOG copies, I can do a quick rundown of the changes (aside from the ones you mentioned).

Changes made in Armageddon's Blade
--You can now recruit the base and/or upgraded creature form in towns, as opposed to just the upgrade. Default is the upgraded form.
--Artillery skill now gives a defending hero control of the castle arrow towers in a seige. [Insert laughter track here]
--By pressing the Space Bar, you can trigger adventure locations again without having to waste movement (i.e., if you're on a two-way warp gate and suddenly there's a very strong monster guarding the exit, you can just hit Space and run away without having to fight it; the CPU absolutely loves abusing this in Heroes 3).
--You can now leave creatures to guard mines.
--A bunch of Map/Campaign Editor stuff.

Changes made in Shadow of Death
--Selectable campaign difficulty. (only works on SoD/Chronicles campaigns, though :smith:)
--Moats now also damage units, instead of just stopping them in their tracks. Damage dealt varies by town type.
--New terrain types (The elemental terrains, Holy Ground, Evil Fog, Clover Field, and Favorable Winds).
--Creature tweaks
**Lizardmen and Lizard Warriors got buffed all around (base attack, defense, health and damage), and you could recruit more compared to previous versions. Cost of Lizard Warriors went up.
**Serpent Flies and Dragon Flies got buffs to their base attack and defense. Dragon Flies gained the ability to cast Weakness on opponents on top of their Dispel ability (:argh:).
**Angels and Archangels now require Gems to recruit (1 for Angels, 3 for Archangels).

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

The moats doing damage was only included in Shadow? Weird, I thought the mines for the Towers always did damage. That and I thought Angels always cost gems, it has been sooo long since I've played vanilla Restoration that I can't really remember what is what. Hell I thought the control of the archery towers was there in base too

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Aces High posted:

The moats doing damage was only included in Shadow? Weird, I thought the mines for the Towers always did damage. That and I thought Angels always cost gems, it has been sooo long since I've played vanilla Restoration that I can't really remember what is what. Hell I thought the control of the archery towers was there in base too
I think the Tower mines were the only moat that could do damage before SoD, so they just added the damage effect to everyone else.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Update 17

Last time we subjugated the barbarians by taking their home town and their lord Slayer. This time we’ll be taking the fight to the sorceress faction, under the command of Queen Lamanda.

As you may recall, the sorceress has the perc of further movement on the seas so I expect to find lots of bodies of water. However, unlike against the barbarians, movement is not something I’m worried about. I am worried about their spell casting prowess. I’d rather not have anyone rain on my parade.

Ignoring those wimpy magical army leading girls, how do we stack up against the sorceress faction?

For reference the Knight:

Sorceress:

Sorceress is the jack of all trades faction in this game. It features 2 flying, 2 ranged and 2 melee units. None of their units are bad, but none win prizes in excellence usually coming in second raw strength in their respective level. Raw strength isn’t everything though, units need to be practical as well. When you're balanced you're always practical. Unfortunately this time there is no speed advantage as the sorceress also has two fast units, what's more is that they have only 1 slow unit, whereas we have one slow unit (archers) and we have peasants. 
At the same time, without a well the sorceress can apparently buy all their units on a weekly salary. But add in the buildings (that they probably don't have to buy this map) and the cost skyrockets. Interestingly, if you take the HP and attack/defense stats and compare them with cost to buy everything the Sorceress has the worst score out of the four factions. So their units are expensive for what they actually do.
I just noticed we barely have more total HP than a single Phoenix. :negative: On the bright side, technically the Paladin has the same damage output thanks to his ability and we are better defensively. I can sum up and compare units all day but let´s be honest...we may be a little outclassed.

Day 1

The ability to sink an island is insignificant next to the power of the peasants.

Welcome to the new map, we start the same way we did last time. However Morglin or the random hero generator saw fit to outfit us with Dimitri. While he is much more handsome in the pretty boy way than Kilburn, I just can’t get forget the fact that he’s the only main hero I’ve used that was defeated. Maybe the second time is the charm?

Castle Whiteshield will be serving as our main base and has been outfitted in the same way as was done on the last map. Considering it worked last time I elect to do the same thing as last time. So I buy the Jousting Arena and drop the peasants and archers to Dimitri can run around faster. The second hero will get the peasants and archers to help out with the creeping.

We need to practice killing little girls, so let’s start with those sprites.

Good job Dimitri, that pretty face is already working. 32 flying units are added and I’m happy.

This doesn’t bode well for us. I seem to recall that Arturius wasn’t instrumental in his previous map either…not that I’m superstitious. :tinfoil: I forgot to buy Dimitri a spell book, but he could’ve gotten Bless, Curse and view mines. Bless and Curse are always nice and view mines has shown it’s worth by now.

Pure luck leads him to the saw mill after which he heads to collect more gold.

Day 2

A horde of peasants is guarding that mine.

You know the deal.

We win!

Those enemy stacks that are scattered around are troublesome. I can’t easily kill those swordsmen and the archers would also cost me way to much at this point.

I can’t build any unit structures and I can’t upgrade my village. I need to find some crystal.

Argh, the crystal mine is once again nowhere near my current position. I buy Maximus to help with the scouting and picking up stuff. :sigh:

Rogues block our route, time for Dimitri to stop fooling around and get slightly more serious.

Day 3

His good looks are working! Stupid handsome people always have things easy. Maybe those other stacks will join as well? :ohdear: This stack joining doesn’t help his morale, but he actually has a decent army now. Fortunately, his knight perc of +1 morale ensures that I will not have negative morale despite mixing three armies.

Hard at work at getting resources.

Maximus discovered that the shrine has bless, which we already have access to, and he found 7 crystal in a stack with another stack to pick up right in front of him. Paladins here I come! I buy nothing at home, I need the resources specifically wood and crystal to do anything.

Day 4

And that makes 21 crystal, in two turns I can have my paladins.

Arturius visits the gazebo with the usual results.

I have wood! :awesome:

Hey guys! Also, it’s day 6 so in two turns I’ll have even more. Time to clean up this place.

Huh, the road really does stop right here. I need a boat.

Day 5

Yeah, I forgot to give him a spell book so this doesn't teach him anything, but at least I now know that I will always have access to lightning bolt. In a world where the paper you write the spell on apparently disappears after casting, I wonder what happens if you write a spell on your hand.

Stupid gargoyles are everywhere on this map. I wait for them to make the first move.

I’m not going to have a lot of sprites left when this is over.

After sprites they seem like the cavalry most, fortunately they can take it.

The rogues no retaliation and not being their favorite target makes them very good in this fight.

You can see on the previous screenshot that this stack was two gargoyles big. Just as I release the mouse button for the attack I realize that I have made a mistake. This will allow the stack of five gargoyles to attack the sprites in their stead. I should’ve attacked the stack of five.

We still win, but with more losses than was needed.

I should probably double back and take out that stack of gargoyles guarding those clown shoes. The campfire had 400 gold and 4 gems.

Annoyingly I find myself with three heroes on a tiny island surrounded by powerful or bad match up stacks.

Day 6

I christen this the week of the paladin!

It’s sort of army-ish I guess? :confuoot:

With nothing else to do I have Maximus collect free units. Even if they’re weak, free units are still a nice bonus. I have weathered many a siege with just a load of free crap units.

Let’s try this again.

I follow the same pattern, so please don’t mind the lack of screenshots of this fight.

This was rather lucky, the weakest stack got their move first allowing the sprites another turn of being targeted.

I remembered my lesson from last time and had the Cavalry weaken the stack near the sprites. This will allow the swordsmen to kill one followed by hopefully the sprites to killing one and everyone else killing the remaining stack.

Nope, mission failed.

And they pay for it with their lives. :smith:

It was nice while it lasted. At least morale will be better now.

Again with the barbarian village. I desperately need more cash.

Day 7

Since I need money and I have strong units in this armylike group of people I decide to attack the dwarves.

Another joiner? Great!

I can take it!

That’s a surprisingly large stack of archers they have there. I wish I had my meatshield sprites.

They attacked the rogues, killing 15 and making them dead weight on the army. :sigh:

They couldn’t even kill 11 goblins.

You may be wondering what is happening here. I moved my cavalry away. The orcs do about 12 in damage and have already done two attacks on my cavalry. On the next attack I would’ve lost one. So instead I moved them away and used my swordsmen to attack them first. My swordsmen kill 3 just like the cavalry did and due to the lower number of orcs still left they can take the hit without anyone valuable dying.

I couldn’t quite do the same thing again since the pikemen move before the swordsmen, so I can’t move the swordsmen and then slot in the pikemen. Instead I just let the rogues take the attack. It’s not like they were any good now anyway.

Only fair that they get the last hit.

And so we win losing nothing of consequence. Dimitri levels up and attack +1.

Not much to do here. I get some goblins due to their speed advantage over the orcs and I keep the 10 rogues as sacrifices useful members of society.

More swordsmen guarding stuff. If I could get them to join me that would be swell.

Day 8

More crystal for the war machine. At least I can use it to get more mage guild levels.

A quick visit at a gazebo and Dimitri knows that he needs to block things with a shield.

Maximus buys all remaining units and heads to Arturius to give him something extra. He can use those guys to attack the gargoyles and archers surrounding us. I have 85 ore…I wish there was a way to trade in this game.

Day 9

I’ve found some wood. This will help us upgrade my second castle fixing the money issue. I also see more rogues and decide to try my luck.

Too bad for them.

They should probably rethink their blindly run forward strategy.

The top rogue attacked the cavalry and I have my cavalry attack the bottom rogue. It would’ve been his turn to move next and this way everyone can reach a rogue to attack and kill them.

I was wrong, my rogues can’t kill the other rogues in a single attack. Fortunately the pikemen are standing by.

How do you like being stabbed in the back?

Victory! :toot:

Money and resources are mine.

To be honest I have no idea what the most optimal army would be in this situation. I went with this due to pure numbers. Any suggestions?

Attack! I attack by blocking my archers with the paladins.

Apparently the dwarves are a more interesting target than the cavalry. Fortunately they can take it.

Sheer numbers!

So I forgot what the paladins were doing, but in the end it didn’t matter.

As they can take care of themselves in this case.

Those gargoyles give pitiful experience considering the trouble they give me.

I have no units to buy and I don’t buy any structures either in hopes of upgrading the other castle soon.

Day 10

Dimitri found a chest containing exactly what we needed.

Meanwhile Arturius claims the boots and Maximus heads after Dimitri.

Feeling confident I have Arturius attack the archers near him to great effect. +20 archers to his army, which is slowly starting to become quite impressive.

I think I’ll stop it here. Yes, it’s a fairly short update as far as screenshots go, but it feels like a good place to stop. Next time I hopefully find a way off this island and something is sure to happen at that point.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 19, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
This is a great read. You have just the right amount of "skip over the boring poo poo" mixed with "Here's what I did and why".

Good writeup, thanks for playing this because I hate playing the campaigns.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
I never got far in the official campaigns. I think I reached the one before this and kept failing it, so I've never seen this map before. Nice to know what I was missing. :)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Update 18
Last time I discovered that the sorceress units far outclass my own and that Dimitri is great at recruiting wandering stacks. That almost sounds like an eventful update.

Day 11

We’ll start the same way we ended, by attacking gargoyles for fun and profit.

Everyone does the same thing, how nice.

Strength in numbers!

There is one thing different, everyone can kill a gargoyle stack in a single strike. No losses and a pitiful 300 experience gained.

The second castle gets a tavern.

And the first castle gets a mage guild level. Very nice and extremely welcome spells for us.
Unrelated to the mage guild, but I miss the arrows at the bottom of the town screen. In later games you switch easily between different towns from within the town screen. Not here.

After recruiting some peasants Maximus discovers a gold mine!

No morale advantage, but I can block three of them on the second turn. Provided that the rogues survive the first round I can even block all of them. Let’s do this. :getin:

We’re off to a rocky start, that rock in the middle already ensure my rogues need another turn.

We did it. Interestingly, the enemy archers targeted every unit except the swordsmen. Had they focused their fire I would've lost more units. I don't recall the AI ever spreading their fire like this before.

I have 2 rogues left. Time to let them go, it’s better for morale.

Or I can get new ones.

Day 12

Good as new.

And also a portal.

Maximus finds more gold. I have scouted the entire island. There are three gazebo’s so I will be able to level everyone to level 3. The amount needed to level up increases slightly starting at level 3. Level 1 and 2 need a flat 1.000 to become the next level. Level 3 needs 3.200 to become level 4 and the requirements become steeper from that point on. There is a very welcome gold mine that I want and after that I should probably get moving. Arturius is going after the gold mine. Dimitri needs to get home to get a spell book and there is a new week coming so he can get extra units. Once he has those units I’ll try and get those wandering swordsmen to join.

Day 13

A new week has arrived.

Attack power comes with the ages.

I should probably move Maximus out of the way first next turn.

Day 14

Go get them Arturius. Actually, the terrain is ridiculously advantageous to us. The top two ogres can’t move forward more than one step before they're blocked. If the middle one also moves forward that means the top 2 are stuck until he moves or if they move back. At the same time, the turn order goes from top to bottom, so the second one can't get out of the way of the first one meaning the first one will always waste at least one turn doing nothing.

The AI plans ahead by blocking the second ogre with the first. I’ll help and my archers kill the middle one in a single shot.

And this is the terrain helping us. The ogres have managed to move forward one line in three rounds. :downsbravo:

I’m disappointed, the peasants didn’t kill the stack in a single attack.

Six died due to their overconfidence.

Well, at least Arturius learned something from this. This is great since he can now cast spells twice.

Also, I’m an idiot as I parked Arturius in Dimitri’s way so he still can’t reach the gazebo now.

Day 15

Dimitri swapped some units with Maximus.

Arturius visits the gazebo and gets a +1 to his attack.

I’m going to let them attack even if it means my cavalry have to take the first hit. If I send the cavalry forward first they’ll be the target for all remaining nomads. Better to just have one nomad attack them instead.

Look at the horse snorting! Good thing my cavalry put them down immediately. It must have had rabies or something.

These guys are pretty fragile.

Victory with again low experience. These guys were so weak they didn’t even kill anyone. Then again, I've been defeating wandering stacks a lot more than I've been doing in previous maps. Reason is simple, I'm on, what appears to be isolated, island and up against a stronger army. I figure I'm going to need properly leveled heroes to get a minor advantage.

Now for our prize.

Day 16

Nothing happened today, so enjoy this screen of three knights.

Day 17

Dimitri gets a new army and visits the gazebo for a +1 to his defense. Annoyingly gazebo's don't show if the heroes have visited them yet, but with three heroes it's easy enough to remember. I just doubt myself sometimes, if only I had someway to check without walking to all three like a log with all of my actions. Anyway, let's recruit those swordsmen.

Arturius is really trying to become the smartest knight on the map. If he can get some spell power he’s going to be a force to be reckoned with.

He picks up some extra peasants and heads home to get some spells for his future battles.

He has a nice army now.

"Hello, can I interest you in the word of our lord and saviour Morglin?"

Guess not.

The random terrain gods are smiling upon me. Only two swordsmen can approach at the same time due to the trees and rocks.

I keep a close eye on the number of hits the paladins and cavalry have to tank and they get to work slaughtering the enemy.

Unfortunately I miscalculate this swordman's walking distance and he manages to kill a cavalry.

This was wholly unnecessary. I had even considered pulling that guy back to have the swordsmen take his place.

A small price to pay for the ability to outrun our foes.

Next turn I build my second jousting arena.

Day 18

I notice that today is the seventh day. I decide to keep Dimitri around to get another round of guys. Meanwhile Arturius is also almost there and he will get the cavalry from the second castle. The armies will probably be joined together at some point in the future, but at the moment I enjoy the terrain they can cover together.

Day 19

Too bad I have a massive shortage of wood, otherwise I’d upgrade the barbarian castle further.

Arturius finds some goblins on his way. Good for a little bit of experience. I already spent all of my money, but there are still units left for me to buy.

Day 20

Dimitri gets his final units and moves to go to the portal.

So this probably won’t be worth my time.

Nope, not worth the effort.

Day 21

A quick stop at that one gazebo for Dimitri.

And next turn he’ll try his luck again.

It may look shabby, but it’s an army and he can cast spells to back them up.

Day 22

Good job Dimitri.

That’s twenty extra swordsmen and the shrine had haste. Very useful.

I just noticed that I have the wood needed for this and I want the extra income for the coming battles and fortifications. I'll need cash if I want to take and fortify an enemy castle.

Day 23

Together they will try and take the enemy islands.

Bring it.

And bring it they did. After this round only two will be left standing. At the start of the next round only one. This is good since each hit did 10 damage to my cavalry.

And so the strong survive.

Day 24

One small step for Dimitri…

One big leap for knightkind.

There are a lot of gazebo’s on this map. See that horseshoe in the right corner?

I did as well.

A repeat of steps for 360 experience and a horseshoe. I suddenly find myself investing in thieves guilds.

Day 25

Easy come easy go. The horse shoe had to be bought for 2.000 gold.

More swordsmen, let’s hope they join.

That would be fun for you to watch at least. After the first round I would be facing over 300 of them.

This is going far too well. I’m waiting for everything to come crashing down.

Day 26

Let’s try that trick again.

It’s would’ve been too good to be true if they had joined.

I kill a stack each turn.

And we’re all done with no losses.

I want my trolls.

Day 27

Those ogres are for Arturius and the shrine teaches paralyze. A very good spell to have.

Arturius is following right behind him.

Yay for trolls.

Day 28

Arturius visits the shrine for Paralyze and attacks his stack of ogres.

Not exactly a fast paced battle.

We grew tired of this.

Victory and defense +1 for Arturius.

Gold and gem mines for all, but mostly me.

I would like that artifact as well, but I’m not sure if the griffins are worth the hassle.

While I’m thinking I’ll just kill these guys first.

I miss my archers as I wait for them to come in range.

The results are the same.

It was only a pack of ogres, so less experience for Dimitri but still a defense +1.

Who cares, let’s just do this.

One down, four to go.

So they do about 8 damage to my swordsmen per attack and he has 25 hitpoints. He killed one on retaliation and this guy is the second to attack him. I moved the pikemen in front of them to protect them from being swarmed. This is the same reason that the rogues are clinging to that shrubbery. It keeps them safe.

I’ll let him skip a turn forcing the other griffins to pursue other targets who can take the hit.

Like this.

An easy win.

And no losses. :smug:

Day 29

Are you sure you want to do this?

It's their funeral, but at least the pitiful experience gained was just enough for another level as Dimitri gets another +1 to defense.

I think I’ve found my harbour.

I’m not going to bother with tactics, I'll just rush them down.

Cowering in a corner isn’t going to help.

That is the look of an orc making a slight miscalculation.

Victory! Now to build a boat and set sail.

Wait are you kidding me? I have to save up wood again to build a castle here first. :argh: That's 40 wood I have to save up for! That's twenty days of sitting around, maybe I should pick a fight with some ghosts while I wait.

Let’s check on the enemy while I wait. That’s a lot of mines they’re holding. I want to attack them. :smith:

You know, this is a good place to stop. Just over a 100 images and I took a pivotal building.
Next time I build a castle, a boat and try to take over the world. (Although I don't expect to finish this level next update.)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

coming across villages that don't have shipyards built is something I'm glad was mostly taken care of in Heroes 2 and Heroes 3, especially in 3 where they learned and put independent shipyards scattered around the map so you could just build a ship wherever.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aces High posted:

coming across villages that don't have shipyards built is something I'm glad was mostly taken care of in Heroes 2 and Heroes 3, especially in 3 where they learned and put independent shipyards scattered around the map so you could just build a ship wherever.

Also there was a "summon ship" spell, I believe.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

No Gravitas posted:

Also there was a "summon ship" spell, I believe.

Hilariously, that only summoned already pre-existing (but unoccupied) ships. If there wasn't an empty ship sitting around somewhere, the spell would do nothing and fail.

vancho1
Oct 6, 2013

Olesh posted:

Hilariously, that only summoned already pre-existing (but unoccupied) ships. If there wasn't an empty ship sitting around somewhere, the spell would do nothing and fail.

And of course, there's the even more single-use spell "Scuttle Boat", whose sole purpose is to be an rear end and destroy ships so other players can't use them.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Olesh posted:

With advanced water magic it would just create a boat out of thin air if there wasn't any free boat available.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Aumanor posted:

With advanced water magic it would just create a boat out of thin air if there wasn't any free boat available.

I'm pretty sure elemental magic skills didn't exist in 2, just showing up in 3 and later. So if you're playing 2, too bad!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Aumanor posted:

Which made perfect sense since boats are made out of water and air.
I wish I had scuttle boat. Considering I haven't seen the sorceress yet I expect that she has no shipyards of her own. So when we land she will beeline for my boat and try to sail to my lands. I'd rather lock myself up with them in stead. :getin:

Valgaav posted:

I'm pretty sure elemental magic skills didn't exist in 2, just showing up in 3 and later. So if you're playing 2, too bad!

Correct. It was just wisdom that governed your magical abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I wish I had scuttle boat. Considering I haven't seen the sorceress yet I expect that she has no shipyards of her own. So when we land she will beeline for my boat and try to sail to my lands. I'd rather lock myself up with them in stead. :getin:

Oh I'm sure you'd have control of their towns long before they could get to yours. Even if they did get to your island quick enough I'm sure you'd would have more than enough troops waiting to defend

• Locked thread