Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

bandman posted:

Rarest thing posted so far in this thread.

I dunno, man. I knew mine was 'the one' when she stayed up all night with me before her college graduation to strip parts off a Toyota minitruck somebody had abandoned and burned in the woods.

Aside from that, none of our vehicles is particularly rare, unless you count my FJ40 since there really aren't all that many left.

Though, the Leaf is sort of rare...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fimbulvetr
Sep 3, 2007
Hardest metal known to man.
The perfect thread for me to plug my own car.

No: 435 of 724 though a lot fewer of them are around these days. Mine is currently not running but I aspire to have it as close as original as possible.

*Edit:
It is a Volvo TP21 (Raptgb 915 / Sugga / Sow).

Fimbulvetr fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 21, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That thing is awesome and I hope it comes out perfect.

Nothing I own is rare, or more rare than five figure build quantities anyways. I ruin poo poo too fast to buy rare things :v:

What I work on 5 days a week though... one of one (so far) and one of one legally*. In fact, this is the only 2009 model that will ever exist. The next will be a 2014 or 2015, I believe we will be making a few dozen of those.

* unless you know of another vehicle with both a VIN plate and an aircraft identification plate, that is :smug:

E: I have driven it, but it wasn't certified for two pilot operation at that point so I haven't gotten to fly it.

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 21, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Is that the Aptera?

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Not terribly rare cars, but I may be the first person I know to own pretty much the entire early 80s Honda lineup 30 years after the fact.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Fimbulvetr posted:

The perfect thread for me to plug my own car.

No: 435 of 724 though a lot fewer of them are around these days. Mine is currently not running but I aspire to have it as close as original as possible.

So , uhm. What am I looking at?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

There's a UK goon who talks about almost nothing else, however I think he drives a black taxi?
Echoplex really likes DMCs, though doesn't own one yet. I think he scrapped his black cab.

Computer viking posted:

Volvo Sugga, I believe.

Fimbulvetr
Sep 3, 2007

Computer viking posted:

InitialDave posted:

Volvo Sugga, I believe.

Yes, that is a Volvo TP21, or "Sow"/"Sugga".
Officially it is named "Radiopersonterrängbil 915" and was in production between 1954 and 1957.

So, sorry that I forgot to include what car it was, I have edited the original post.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I first encountered the Sugga in Just Cause 2 (video game) and assumed it was just some awesome thing the game designers made up. When I found out a couple years later that it was a real vehicle I was amazed. I love the looks of it, but due to the rarity (and off-road ability) they are rather expensive.

I hope you'll post more about it Fimbulvetr.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

That is a gorgeous car - I looooove me that sloped overhang over the grille and lights. First-gen (OK, 5th gen, too) Mustang, E12, E28, E23, E21, E30, hell the C10 Skyline a little bit: sign me the gently caress up!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Kenshin posted:

Is that the Aptera?

It's the Terrafugia Transition. Almost all carbon fiber, Rotax 912 (ULS in the current prototype, iS for next prototype and production) @ 100hp (limited by class - as a light sport aircraft, no more than 100hp is permitted), drives like a car, flies like a plane.

PS: we are hiring - I believe current positions include vehicle mechanical engineers and CAD designers, but not entirely sure. Check the website for more info if anyone's interested in working here.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

kastein posted:

It's the Terrafugia Transition. Almost all carbon fiber, Rotax 912 (ULS in the current prototype, iS for next prototype and production) @ 100hp (limited by class - as a light sport aircraft, no more than 100hp is permitted), drives like a car, flies like a plane.

PS: we are hiring - I believe current positions include vehicle mechanical engineers and CAD designers, but not entirely sure. Check the website for more info if anyone's interested in working here.

Wow, I want to ask all about this but this isn't the appropriate thread.

I bet you'd get a lot of positive responses if you made a thread in AI about your job and the car-plane you work on. (unless you already have and I haven't seen it!)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Fimbulvetr posted:

Yes, that is a Volvo TP21, or "Sow"/"Sugga".
Officially it is named "Radiopersonterrängbil 915" and was in production between 1954 and 1957.

So, sorry that I forgot to include what car it was, I have edited the original post.

No worries. I see we never bought it over here - apparently the Norwegian army survived on leftover US trucks and jeeps for a few decades.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

your photo makes it look like a flying box truck

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

God drat I want

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

SimianNinja posted:

That is a gorgeous car - I looooove me that sloped overhang over the grille and lights. First-gen (OK, 5th gen, too) Mustang, E12, E28, E23, E21, E30, hell the C10 Skyline a little bit: sign me the gently caress up!

You can have this car for scrap value. It just started smoking to the point where I'm embarrassed to drive it and I'm more into volvos now anyhow. compression is 145 125 144 125. I have a spare engine and a whole bunch of parts. It's too pretty to go to the junkyard and I don't have the time to fix it so it sits in my yard taunting me.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I think my 1989 Isuzu Impulse turbo with handling by Lotus is somewhat rare. The only figures I could find were from 2010 registrations in the US totaling 1650, 99 of those being 89's. Also according to wikipedia: "The Impulse was produced in very low numbers, totaling slightly over 13,000 units, with that number including the production of the Isuzu Stylus. The Impulse is considered today to be one of the rarest 80's/90's era automobiles."

With that said, I'm currently swapping a 3.4L 60* V6 from an F-body into it. I might throw my Xterra Eaton M62 supercharger on it later too.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

NinjaTech posted:

I think my 1989 Isuzu Impulse turbo with handling by Lotus is somewhat rare. The only figures I could find were from 2010 registrations in the US totaling 1650, 99 of those being 89's. Also according to wikipedia: "The Impulse was produced in very low numbers, totaling slightly over 13,000 units, with that number including the production of the Isuzu Stylus. The Impulse is considered today to be one of the rarest 80's/90's era automobiles."

With that said, I'm currently swapping a 3.4L 60* V6 from an F-body into it. I might throw my Xterra Eaton M62 supercharger on it later too.

Oh god I love the Impulse, please contact me if you ever want to sell it.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Interesting thread, I'll play.

I had a 2001 Audi S4 Avant in Cactus Green. After doing research and contacting Audi of America, I concluded that Audi only bought in 13 of these cars for the B5 S4 chassis run in Avant form painted with the Cactus Green color. It was a fuckin' sweet color.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leroy Diplowski posted:

You can have this car for scrap value. It just started smoking to the point where I'm embarrassed to drive it and I'm more into volvos now anyhow. compression is 145 125 144 125. I have a spare engine and a whole bunch of parts. It's too pretty to go to the junkyard and I don't have the time to fix it so it sits in my yard taunting me.

Where do you live?

Seriously.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

GramCracker posted:

Cactus Green

:drat: that's an awesome color. That looks sexy as hell.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Where do you live?

Seriously.

IIRC he lives in Florida. No Accord for you :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

IIRC he lives in Florida. No Accord for you :v:

Curses!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

:drat: that's an awesome color. That looks sexy as hell.

Yea, it was sexy as hell and silly unique :smith: Except I'm an idiot and sold it...for an Abarth :suicide:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

blk posted:

Where were you 2 years ago when I was trying to sell it?! At this point I don't think I'll be selling it. It's also missing a decent amount of the original parts.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I wish I had the know how to fix it. Because you're in florida Id love to snatch that poo poo up. Its so nice.

Who wants to help rebuild it and teach me how to play mechanic? I'll provide beer! I'm totally serious.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 23, 2014

Fimbulvetr
Sep 3, 2007
Personally I like this car:
What type of Honda is it and what year was it made? Thank you.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Fimbulvetr posted:

That's an 85-86 CRX.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

blk posted:

If you are seriously looking for an impulse, I know a guy trying to sell his.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

trouser chili posted:

If you are seriously looking for an impulse, I know a guy trying to sell his.

You could say that were anyone in the market for one, any purchase would be...

:c00lbert:

An Impulse buy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Noeland posted:

You could say that were anyone in the market for one, any purchase would be...

:c00lbert:

An Impulse buy.

No you couldn't, because that would get you punched.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This probably doesn't count as "rare", but

Also a couple of ST185s.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I had no idea you were the original owner. You very well may be the only original owner of a completely unmolested and unthrashed ITR.

I know someone with who owns that exact same type-r who bought it new. So there is at least two out there.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Fimbulvetr posted:

It's an '84 crx. The first year ever made. The 85-86 models had slightly different headlights and front fascia. Also, the si model came out in '85. All of the '84s were carb'd.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Also a couple of ST185s.

From the spoiler I'm guessing that's the V8? Either way, how do you like it?

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...

Data Graham posted:

Also a couple of ST185s.

Twin turbo V8? My friend had one of these until he passed away and his son had to sell it. I got to drive it once, and my hands shook for an hour afterwards. It had after market BOV and was chipped. poo poo, what a car.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Data Graham posted:

Also a couple of ST185s.

I should probably know what this is but I have no idea. I do, however, know that it looks sexy as gently caress and I want one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's a late model Lotus Esprit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yup, a 2000. Made shortly before they replaced the taillights with the round "Elise-style" ones that are the wrongest possible thing they could ever have done to the car stylistically. Round does not go on an Esprit, fuuuuck. Stop even trying to pretend those two cars were designed by the same people.

How do I like it? It's been temperamental, but good to me nonetheless. Stock, it desperately needs more cooling capacity than the weak-rear end radiator it comes with provides; it overheated like a mother for a long time before the headers cracked right off the core (lovely epoxy is the other good reason to replace it). Also a coil-on-plug conversion is a must because the plug wires are routed right between the heads and they get all toasty and cracked and you have to explain to the people at the meetup that you're driving one of the ultra-rare twin-turbo V7 models.

One of these days it's getting a transmission swap too, because the stock Renault-sourced one won't tolerate much more than the 400 hp you can comfortably tune it up to via chip mods. But other than that, geeez it's been a fun car. I drove it cross-country back in '07 and it didn't complain a bit whether I was climbing Lincoln Summit west of Cheyenne or crossing the Bonneville Salt Flats at 160+ (:woop:). I was pretty pleased with myself for having the most interesting car in Nebraska, but then just west of North Platte a loving Veyron went past in the opposite direction :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh man, that Esprit is so awesome. Totally on my car bucket list.

I have a couple things that are probably rare, Im not driving them yet so it doesnt really count, yet.

The first is my 1926 IH "speed truck". Its all there and its soon up on my getting running list. Its not rare in the sense of production numbers but its all original and complete. Wood cab and all. It "ran when parked" about 30 years ago, Im hoping it just takes cleaning out the old varnished gas because I cant imagine that anyone in the world makes parts for it anymore. I think I'm going to have to work with what I have and make parts as needed.

It even has a crank start. I was never ever going to mess with that but I found that it also has an electric starter.

But this car, needing a total restoration is really rare. Its a 1932 Buick Roadster. There were only 238 of these made that year. It had 105hp that year which was incredible compared to the Stovebolt Chevys and the first year of the Ford flathead. It would have smoked both of them in easy Buick straight 8 smoothness.

Im going to practice my restoration skills on a few more cars/trucks before I get to the Buick but oh man, it will be worth the wait. Ill be pulling it out of the barn this year sometime and I cant wait. It has some weird feature where you can pull a lever and adjust the suspension stiffness. I dont know anything about that yet but its what my uncle tells me about it.

I know Im kinda disqualified from the thread since neither of them are driveable yet but I cant imagine anyone in AI having something older than 1926.

• Locked thread