Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Alopex posted:

See, it kind of looks like he's got a jacket, then a shirt under it, then he's unbuttoned both of them to show off his cool edgy bandages. Because he's just that completely pretentious.
Oooooh you're right! such an elaborate cosplay...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Why would anyone choose the generic anime art, without the birds the game loses its charm.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Geokinesis posted:

Why would anyone choose the generic anime art, without the birds the game loses its charm.

Because in order to parody generic anime dating games, you must become the generic anime dating game.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

EagerSleeper posted:

Because in order to parody generic anime dating games, you must become the generic anime dating game.

Oh god, I'm having flashbacks to Muv-Luv.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Shrine Visit 2: Okosan

I think it’s important to leave this screen in again for Okosan’s bit. Even the game doesn’t know what to think of Okosan’s birdie-ness.

Okosan, it’s cold! It’s way too cold for my featherless human skin!

:allears: A true bird until the end.

But Okosan, my house is completely unheated!
Coo!! (Okosan said, no complaining! Neglecting your training is bad! You will RUN!)
Ah, Okosan, wait! You’re too fast! I can’t keep up with you if you go that faaaaast!

We rushed by the playground I used to visit when I was a kid…

We ran through the mall and had the Gull Guard on our tail the whole time…

We even passed by the orphanage on the edge of town! What kind of route is this!?

Eventually, we reached the front of the White Dove Shrine, and I couldn’t take it anymore. I stopped and put my hands on my knees, gasping for breath.

Coo, coooo! (Goon has become slow! Okosan is disappointed!)
Aaah… I’m sorry, Okosan…

I did give in to the cold and skip training a little over the past few weeks, so like Okosan said, my body has gotten soft and weak.
But what is his heart made out of? He went shooting off out of the blue all the way to here, and now he’s bouncing around energetically while I’m completely winded.
I don’t think all the cruelest roads and tracks in the world together could stand in defiance of Okosan’s steel-plated cardiovascular system.

Thank you, Okosan…

Did you come here to make your offering on New Year’s Day, Okosan?
Coooooo! (Okosan believes only in the Pudding God!)

Oh, right.

Ummm… And does this Pudding God have a shrine? Do you make offerings to him?

Huh…? So if he’s with you all the time, you don’t need to go out on New Year’s to say hello to him? Doesn’t he have a home?
Cooooo! (Of course he does! His home is in the Lost Ruins of Pudding!)

But I don’t understand!

Coo, coooooo! (The God of True Pudding sleeps in the Lost Ruins of Pudding, somewhere in this world! Okosan trains himself so that one day he may find the Ruins!)
Oh, I see. I wonder if I could find a certain goal like you and get more serious about my training that way.

Okosan flaps agitatedly about for a little while.
He does get awfully excited about pudding. But I still don’t understand what his idea of pudding is. It certainly isn’t the pudding I know…

Hey, Okosan. The god of this shrine is supposed to be a brilliant white dove who flies to faraway places.
Doesn’t that sound a little like you? …Well, you run to faraway places, rather than fly.
You’re like a god yourself, Okosan! I know you’ll get to meet the pudding god someday.

And so concludes Okosan’s shrine visit event.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 6, 2014

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Oh also, since I found out about this yesterday, I might as well share it with the thread.
A new Hatoful-like has been released for mobile devices! Finally, you can kiss and date your favorite sushi toppings! It even has an English translation, so you could all play it, unlike most of the other imitators.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Downloading it as I type this! There had better be some Avocado in there :chef:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Just wanted to pop in and say I've loved following these threads, Hatoful is just an amazing series!

As an aside has anyone else been having problems with the links to each post in the OP just opening up the thread again in another tab without going to the proper post?

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

SaffronKit posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say I've loved following these threads, Hatoful is just an amazing series!

As an aside has anyone else been having problems with the links to each post in the OP just opening up the thread again in another tab without going to the proper post?

Hey, thanks! Glad you're enjoying the games!
I dunno what was causing that, but I just went through and edited the post links. Hopefully they all work now.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Omigod! Okosans hat :3:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
That's how the Oko do.

If that sushi game doesn't have a joke character based on wasabi, considered my interest diminished.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that was a great human (?) thing. Really I would have liked to see that art for everybirdie.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ChorpSaway posted:

Hey, thanks! Glad you're enjoying the games!
I dunno what was causing that, but I just went through and edited the post links. Hopefully they all work now.

That did it, thanks!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ChorpSaway posted:

We ran through the mall and had the Gull Guard on our tail the whole time…

If they'd actually tried to match the outfits, that would've been beautiful. As it is, it's a subtle little nod that makes me smile nonetheless.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

tlarn posted:

That's how the Oko do.

If that sushi game doesn't have a joke character based on wasabi, considered my interest diminished.

They do not. Also you can't start with Avocado! :( Also it's a pay-to-progress pile of awfulness.
so basically slightly more awful that I expected it to be

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Shrine Visit 3: Yuuya

He hasn’t come to school much since some time last semester. He seems really busy, but what has he been doing? Maybe he’s been job-hunting?
Anyway, he said he didn’t have any time over the holidays, so he asked me to wait.
And then he texted me out of the blue last night to say he was free today, so--

Oh, Yuuya! Happy holiday salutations! ~☆
Sorry to keep you waiting, Goon.
I always try my utmost to never keep a lady waiting, but alas I wasn’t able to get away until just now.
You’re still really busy, aren’t you? I shouldn’t have pushed you so hard to take me…
Non non, don’t make that unhappy face! It doesn’t suit you at all, mon amie.
I cannot express with mere words how much I have looked forward to seeing you again, Goon. Time spent with you always flies by at the speed of light, so let’s go.

Yuuya takes my hand and leads me off to the shrine.
He seems like he’s in even more of a hurry than usual. He must be really busy…

It’s true. The shrine was crowded during the first three days of the new year, but now it’s practically empty.

I don’t mind a lively crowd, but I’m glad there’s no one to disturb us here now.
I’m not falling for that, Yuuya! How many other girls have you used that line on by now?
Ahaha, you’re as cruel as ever, mon amie.

He whispers to me, an unusually serious expression on his face.
Stop it! You’re gonna make me melt! I already know you’re not completely made of cheap pickup lines and flashy foolishness!

I haven’t met privately with anyone at all recently, in fact.
Third-years like you really are unimaginably busy, aren’t they…
Don’t worry, mon amie, you won’t end up like me. I’m just having to work extra hard now because I’ve been an unusually total failure.
So you’re studying like crazy for exams now?
No, not quite. Let me give you a hint, mon amie.
Lots of important corporations have parties during the holidays. Many well-known people go to those parties. Each one is a potential jackpot for the villains who skulk around behind the curtains of society.

So… so what!?

--I had a dream like that, anyway.
It was a dream!?
Hahaha, sorry. Just kidding, just kidding. Like you said, I’m just having to make up for all the slacking off I did earlier as exams draw near.
Geez, don’t tease me like that! I hadn’t realized you were planning to go on to university, though. Where are you thinking of going?
That’s… a secret, I guess. I’ll be leaving the school, and it’s probably best if you don’t know where I go after that.
D-don’t tell me you’re going somewhere so seedy and low-end you don’t even want to say…!?

He did it again. Sometimes he says stuff in that self-deriding, or maybe even despairing way.
He’s usually so cheerful, so whenever he does it I don’t know how to respond!

I think you’re a better person than you think you are, Yuuya!
Sakuya and the doctor are always chewing you out, but you shouldn’t let that get you down! Just do your thing and be yourself!
Aah, that makes me happy. Hearing you say that puts some pride back into my little dove heart, mon amie.

And so concludes Yuuya’s shrine visit event.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I can't believe I'm writing this but somehow bird-Yuuya is more handsome. Also black on black on black? Seriously?

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
I love using the human-mode graphics just cause everyone still refers to themselves and each other as birds.

So when Goon calls them by their species name it ends up sounding like a weird insult instead

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

CHiRAL posted:

I can't believe I'm writing this but somehow bird-Yuuya is more handsome. Also black on black on black? Seriously?

Secret agents wear black! Right?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CHiRAL posted:

Bird-Yuuya is also waaay less creepy. That whole bit about hiding his brother's egg and then swapping it into the nest to replace his half-sibling gets even darker as a human. :stare:

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Shrine Visit 4: Nageki

Nageki’s is probably one of the most interesting shrine visits.

The first three days of the year are always crowded, and it’s really cold in the morning, so we decided to be a little untraditional and go just after noon.
Of course, even if we waited for weeks or months before going, our first trip to the shrine in the new year would still be a New Year’s visit…
Nageki is delicate like the first flowers of spring, so I’ll have to make sure he doesn’t push himself!

…You’re here already.
Oh! Nage…ki…??

The music stops.

Uh, umm… Nageki? You sound like Nageki… You’re Nageki, right?

Yes. Sorry, did I keep you waiting? I made sure to leave on time, but…
Don’t worry, you’re not late! I just came early. I wasn’t waiting too long, anyway!
More importantly, what’s up? Are we going to hold up a store or something? I mean, I’d be happy to, if that’s what you want to do…
…This thing really is weird, isn’t it.
No, no, I think it’s nice! It’s definitely nice! It’s warm and it hides your identity! Everyone should have one!
I’m behind you whatever you’re planning, Nageki! We’ll do our best together, okay?
……

Hitori made me put it on. He said I shouldn’t go out without making sure I was perfectly protected from the cold.

Does that really mean wearing a balaclava, though!?

He made me bring a whole bunch of hand warmers, too. I don’t think I’ll run out for a week.
Mr. Uzune does seem to worry about you a lot…
He’s overprotective. I barely managed to convince him he didn’t have to come with me today.

According to this information (and the fact that Nageki is outside at all), Nageki is alive in this scene, and he’s living with Kazuaki/Hitori. This points to a timeline where Nageki never took up the chance to get “help” from Iwamine and therefore end up dead, or he was able to get out of the testing facility without dying. Nageki is a perfectly normal, if unsociable bird.
It’s inconsequential, since it doesn’t factor into anything outside of this one scene, but I think it’s interesting nonetheless.

I wouldn’t mind if he came along…
……
I would. I’m not a child anymore.

Of course I do! I’m so happy I get to be with you, Nageki!
Anyway, it’s time for Lourde-senpai’s Guided Shrine Tour! Let’s la go!

I think when I came by during summer vacation there were maybe three other people…

Is this your first time visiting a shrine for New Year’s, Nageki?

I see… You should make up for all the lost time and make lots of wishes now, then!
…Is it all right to be that sloppy?
It’s all about your frame of mind. You’re not very religious in your day-to-day life, are you?
I’m not.
Then you can be as sloppy as you want!

Take this! Super coin-toss! Zzzzzbang!
Are you supposed to throw the offering money rowdily like that?
The gods will have an easier time hearing your message if you put lots of spirit into it, right?
I don’t think I need them to hear it that well.

Hey! He just threw his like a normal person! He stared at me with cold, disdainful eyes and threw it like a normal person!

……
……
…What did you wish for, Nageki?
That’s a secret.

Oh.

I don’t really have to tell you. It’s between me and the gods, right?
Aww, that’s no fun!

Well, okay… I guess if you go around shouting your wish to everyone it sort of feels like a god is going to pop out of nowhere and revoke your right to a divine miracle…

I am curious about what he prayed for, but it doesn’t look like he’ll tell me.

There’s a tea shop up ahead that sells really good mochi, Nageki. Let’s go!
…Okay.

And so concludes Nageki’s shrine visit event.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

That whole bit about hiding his brother's egg and then swapping it into the nest to replace his half-sibling gets even darker as a human. :stare:

:catstare:

ChorpSaway posted:

Shrine Visit 4: Nageki

That was cute and fun :3:

It's good to see Nageki being not-miserable.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I know it's supposed to be endearing, but that last image of him smiling reminds me of Sakura from F/SN and it creeps me out.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I saw the balaclava and thought something was missing.

There we go.

Balqis
Sep 5, 2011

Oh man, I can't believe I just saw this thread. My desire for more Fat Bird shall be sated. Yesssss.

DaniDaniDanica
Dec 25, 2012
Nageki lives AU /chinhands. Apparently there will be some other Hatoful media that will also use this timeline, along with some other info we'll be getting from Holiday Star overall!

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice

Balqis posted:

Oh man, I can't believe I just saw this thread. My desire for more Fat Bird shall be sated. Yesssss.

He's not fat as a human unfortunately, although I hope he still has the sugarplum fairy theme.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I notice the background shadows are still of birds, even when you're human.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

This begs the question: Does Nageki wear a balaclava in birdie form?

This is important.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

This begs the question: Does Nageki wear a balaclava in birdie form?

This is important.

Yes.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It looks less like a balaclava and more like a sock. :kimchi:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I was not disappointed. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

http://www.devolverdigital.com/blog/view/mediatonic-and-devolver-digital-remake-hatoful

A remake of Hatoful has been announced, will be playable at E3 by appointment.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Shrine Visit 5: Shuu

I decided to stop by the shrine for a visit since I was here anyway, but… it’s really crowded!
Where do they all come from every year, anyway? The shrine is usually so empty!
I want to at least make an offering, but standing around waiting like this is breaking my heart…
It’s cold, and waiting by myself is so lonely! Maybe I should go home and come back some other day.
…Wait…
I thought I saw a familiar partridge walk by.
The music stops.

Dr. Iwamine? Is that you?

Don’t tell me he’s here to make an offering, too!?

Happy New Year, sir! I’m surprised to see you here!
I never would have expected to bump into you in a place like this. You’re kind of like a devil or something, so I always figured you’d get purified into nothingness if you went into a shrine!

Oh, okay! So I don’t have to worry about him getting hit by some stray exorcism and evaporating! Yay, I’m so relieved!

But why are you here, sir? Are you making a New Year’s offering?
No. I feel no need to plea with hypothetical gods for help. As I’m sure you know quite well.

OH? YES, I KNOW.

Umm… Why are you here, then?

There isn’t!!! Please stop hearing about corpses that don’t exist, sir!
But I was told there was a crowd here because they found a rotting corpse in the pond.
Shrines are already crowded on New Year’s! No one’s said anything about a corpse.
I see… That is truly unfortunate. It seems I have been misled by a falsified report.

The doctor, thoroughly disappointed, turned and began to walk away.

Oh! Are you going home already, sir!?
There’s no reason for me to stay, is there?
But you’re already here, and it’s New Year’s! Want to make an offering with me?
It’s cold and there’s a line and I was thinking of giving up and going home, but if I got to wait with you then I wouldn’t mind!

He gives me an amazed-looking sneer. Geez, don’t you have any hopes or dreams, you diabolical partridge? Any romance!?
Getting turned down like this every time I try to do something with him makes my hunter-gatherer blood boil! I’m starting to want to just look up a walkthrough for him on a wiki or something.

But this is a special day! And if I’m with you, then even if I catch cold you’ll be able to give me pertinent advice!
Please do not treat me as your personal medical advisor. I am not fond of selfish children.
Aaah, I’m sorry… I got carried away…
Now, if you would be willing to take the place of that rotting corpse for me, then I might be interested.
You want to make an offering with a rotten corpse!? What kind of pervert are you!?!?

That’s too much, sir!
…Hoho, don’t worry. I was only joking. Yes… joking.

Were you, sir? That felt an awful lot like you were asking just on the off-chance…

Perhaps we can come to an arrangement. I shall offer a very simple contract, with only one condition.

It sounds more like I could be in serious danger of losing everything, including but not limited to my life!? But if I don’t come down with a cold it should be fine. That should be okay… I guess…?

All right, sir! I promise!

Oh, how my heart leaps when I hear that laugh!
And so I spent New Year’s Day with a non-believing partridge.
I’ll be fine as long as I can endure until spring… I wouldn’t mind paying him back, but I’d rather not risk my life, so I’ll pray to make it through the winter without getting sick!

And so concludes Shuu’s shrine visit event.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

http://www.devolverdigital.com/blog/view/mediatonic-and-devolver-digital-remake-hatoful

A remake of Hatoful has been announced, will be playable at E3 by appointment.
I'm not sure if this is for real, but if it is and they don't make Azami romanceable I will be disappointed.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I'm not sure if this is for real, but if it is and they don't make Azami romanceable I will be disappointed.

Wired and Forbes also did an article on it, so I'm willing to call it confirmed and also real at this point.

Official announcement on the update is "Improved art and music, more advanced pigeon AI. 60 flaps per second, 1080 pigeons." As far as I can tell, it's mostly a visual/audio upgrade, and it probably fixes up typos and such in the script as well. No additional material, just bringing it to a new audience in an updated format.

The only problem I see is that this opens the floodgates for a new generation of "wow this is so wacky you date BIRDS oh man japan i just cannot handle or believe lemme roleplay and voice act" YouTube LPs. But hey, if it helps support Hato Moa, I'll gladly deal with that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I dunno if my system can handle that much pigeon.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I did not expect Shuu's visit to be that amazing.

"Won't you be my rotting corpse, miss Lourde?"

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Shuu :allears:

So what are the chances the remake will have full voice acting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

CHiRAL posted:

Shuu :allears:

So what are the chances the remake will have full voice acting?

I actually hope they get the Japanese VA's Hato Moa tapped.

Because it would be amazing.

• Locked thread