Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I think I learned something. Thanks Oxx!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Occupation posted:

[*] Ryan: "Carbon gases cause climate change. The ice caps are melting, the polar bears are drowning..." Mike: "Well maybe those fat cracker bears should learn how to swim." UGH.

loving what :laffo:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
"Fat cracker bears" - words apparently actually uttered on a network sitcom.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Occ, if you ever want a break from this... whatever the gently caress this is, go watch Short Term 12, which is 90 minutes of proof that, separate from this black hole of comedy, Kaitlyn Dever is actually a fantastic young actress.

Also, movie owns and will wash the awful off of you. (you all should watch it, it's on netflix, gogogo)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Yoshifan823 posted:

Occ, if you ever want a break from this... whatever the gently caress this is, go watch Short Term 12, which is 90 minutes of proof that, separate from this black hole of comedy, Kaitlyn Dever is actually a fantastic young actress.

Also, movie owns and will wash the awful off of you. (you all should watch it, it's on netflix, gogogo)

I think someone mentioned this earlier in the thread but she's also very good in a recurring role on Justified.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Mods change my name to FAT CRACKER BEAR tia

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Mother Fracker won an award in the category Television Episodic Comedy from the Environmental Media Awards.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Mother Fracker won an award in the category Television Episodic Comedy from the Environmental Media Awards.

The EMA's are a pretty blatant conscience laundering scheme for the entertainment industry, so this is not a surprise.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Last Man Standing
"Circle of Life"
Season 2, Episode 6

I watch every single episode of this show not once, but twice. I watch it once, cold, sometimes taking notes on what I want to focus on for the review. I watch it a second time for two reasons: 1) So I don't miss any nuance and draw any incorrect conclusions about the episode (i.e. review it as fairly as possible), and 2) to track down quotes I'll use in the review.

I say this not to gain any sympathy- okay, that's a lie, I would like a little sympathy for the effort I put in -but because I want people to understand what I mean when I say that I cannot stand this show. I despised this episode in one viewing, a viewing I had to stop multiple times just to stomach through the aggressively, maliciously idiotic nonsense spilling out of my screen. Then I watched it again, and I can confirm- this show is loving awful.

This episode was centered around Boyd. I have a theory: The episodes centered around Boyd, and around parenting in general, are the worst because that means Mike is at his most whiny and caustic. Since the thesis of the show is presenting how Mike believes America is losing its masculinity, this frustration is most evident when Boyd is onscreen; Mike believes that Boyd is his only hope for a tougher, manlier America so spends all of his time attempting to "teach" (read: brainwash) Boyd his particular conservative politics.

But having Mike just tell Boyd empty jingoistic and xenophobic truisms would make a 2010s version of Leave it to Beaver. A show, especially a sitcom, thrives on conflict to create humor and to drive a story forward. So the writers felt the need to write a character who is at odds with Mike. But since Mike is the protagonist, and is played by one of the executive producers of this show, and is the main draw, we don't get a Meathead to Tim Allen's Archie; instead, we get a gross, exaggerated parody of a liberal, Ryan, fighting a gross, exaggerated parody of a conservative, Mike. Nobody is sympathetic and everyone is a complete and utter douche to each other constantly, with no room for empathy or any sort of cross-ideological understanding allowed.

This is most blatant in this episode. Mike returns hunting, and Ryan, who as we now learn is a vegan (of course), is absolutely disgusted by Mike's admittedly kind of disturbing, almost homicidal glee in having killed some ducks. Kristen asks Mike to put the ducks away, because she doesn't want Boyd to see them and make the mental connection between ducks and meat, which is apparently one of only two foods he eats. Mike insists that Boyd- who is a loving five-year-old -should be made aware of where meat comes from, and surprisingly Ryan agrees: He wants Boyd to turn vegan, and thinks this is the perfect way to convince his loving five-year-old son to stop eating meat.

Notice how Boyd becomes a political football between these two psychotics, Mike and Ryan, to push their horrible worldviews. The only thing as bad as showing a five-year-old a loving dead duck to "man him up" is showing a five-year-old a loving dead duck so they change over to your dietary habits. It's mind boggling how reprehensible these two characters are.

Amazingly this strategy backfires on Ryan, and Boyd seems to shrug off learning where bacon, steak, and hot dogs (which Ryan rudely characterizes as "lips, eyelids and intestines"- it's incredible that they make him look less mature than the toddler in the same scene with him) come from- until dinner, where Ryan- and I am not making any part of this up, I swear to loving god -loudly quacks to intentionally freak his own kid out and make Boyd stop eating. What the gently caress.

Boyd eventually goes to be consoled by Mike, who makes a right hash of it by explaining how they're going to eventually die and be eaten by worms. (Boyd's been having a tough week, life-revelations wise. I fully expect Mike to teach him how sex works next week by fondling him in the bathroom. REAL MEN don't talk about molestation!) But don't worry, Mike assures the next night-everyone eventually ends up in heaven.

Of course, Ryan has a problem with Boyd being taught about heaven, or as Ryan characterizes it a "fairy tale", because see Ryan and Kristen are raising Boyd without religion. This of course dovetails into another argument where Ryan is the shitthatdidnthappen.txt of atheists, loudly blustering about how all religion is fake and makes no sense before the bon mot from Vanessa, the enlightened, religious scientist (so you know she's impartial). I half-expected a marine with two tours in Iraq to burst into the scene at this point and uppercut Ryan through the roof as he powerfucks Kristen on the stairs, Mike looking on as an eagle shrieks in the background, a lone, patriotic tear falling from his face, as the crowd bursts into rapturous applause.

As an actual atheist I was offended by their characterization of atheists, of course, but also by the seeming disregard Mike had for Boyd's parents' wishes. If Ryan had come to Mike and said, "Hey Mike, I know you're trying to comfort my son about mortality and I really appreciate it but in the future could you please not tell him about heaven? We're trying to raise him sans religion, and give him the opportunity to seek whatever God or gods or lack of god that spiritually fulfills him." I know such a speech isn't funny but the alternative wasn't either, so why not go for the nuanced opinion more reflective of today's modern atheist?

Anyways the endless vegan bashing, religion bashing, and Reagan worship (Mike literally tells Boyd a bedtime story about the "Great King Reagan, who slayed the Peanut Farmer") made this episode an intolerable, intolerant mess from start to finish. The mistreatment and outright abuse of a loving five-year-old to further an ideological point, from both sides of the fence, was goddamn repulsive, and Mike and Ryan are nearly sociopathic in the way they treat and manipulate other people to win a silly argument.

This episode didn't even make me mad. I'm just depressed. That people think that people like me talk like this. That I, one of those gosh-darned liberals would look at the poo poo Ryan is saying and go "Yeah you really stick it to those loving Republican douchebags! gently caress your kid up! Yeah!" It just bums me out. I like liking people, I like respecting people. I like interacting and being polite with people even when I find their views morally repellent. I'm not like this at all and it depresses me that a network TV show thinks I am.

Can I please stop watching this show now.

Grade: F

Random Thoughts:
  • The B-plot was actually really good. Or at least didn't involve child abuse, so was by Last Man Standing's standards a massive success.

Mandy, who has been shoplifting from Outdoor Man repeatedly, has now done so so often that Kyle is in danger of losing his job. This is intentional- Kyle is a trusting soul and also not exactly the brightest bulb so Mandy has been manipulating him into not noticing her shoplifting. She, guiltily, returns all the items without Kyle noticing then teaches him how to spot a potential thief, culminating in Kyle apprehending a suspect and thanking Mandy profusely for her "help". Many, guilt-ridden, confesses that she's been the main culprit the whole time, to which Kyle forgives her and thanks her for at least owning up to it all. Then they share a moment that's clearly meant to foreshadow some sort of romance between the two.

This whole plot works really well because, as I stated in a previous review, it's about working towards a positive outcome instead of generating a conflict, and had the most "real" portrayals of humanity. It's not high drama but you at least felt some sympathy and appreciated both parties when they were onscreen, which could not be said about Mike and Ryan. They've done a lot of work since the pilot to rehabilitate Mandy's image to the point where she's just vaguely dumb but has a unique skillset and is likable onscreen, so that's nice too.
  • Although the B-plot expects us to actually buy that an 18-year-old fashion-obsessed teenage girl would not only want to wear clothes from Cabela's, but desire said clothes so much she would be willing to steal them.
  • Ryan: "Mike, if you want to say Grace, I can take my quinoa and go outside."
  • Mike: "See these sharp teeth we have right here? They're called canine teeth, and God gave us these teeth so we could rip the flesh off of other animals." As someone who loves meat, this is a rather loving barbaric way to characterize meat-eating. Gross.
  • Mike: "We're at the top of the food chain. And since we're Americans, we're at the very top."
  • Mandy: "With girls, you really have to pay attention. And if the hot one starts talking to you, the only possible explanation is her friends are trying to rip you off." Kyle: "Wow, that's a really smart and hurtful tip."
  • Vanessa (in defending her belief in God): "The world is full of things that don't make any rational sense." Mike: "Yeah! Like the U.N. Plus-sized bikinis. Wealthy Democrats. The fact that [Ryan and Kristen] got together in the first place."

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 12, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Occupation posted:

Can I please stop watching this show now.

First order of business once you are done this season is to find a way to get you toxxed into watching the rest of the show.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You are a much stronger man than I, Occ.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

have you seen last man standing, yoshifan

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Occ, buddy, I haven't always been super nice to you, but dude, thanks for enduring this for us. I don't think I could.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Occupation posted:

Last Man Standing
"Circle of Life"
[*] Vanessa (in defending her belief in God): "The world is full of things that don't make any rational sense." Mike: "Yeah! Like the U.N. Plus-sized bikinis. Wealthy Democrats. The fact that [Ryan and Kristen] got together in the first place."[/list]

This poo poo struck one of my nerves. There are plenty of theistic scientists, hell I'm one of them, but this is boilerplate "God of the Gaps" nonsense that only creationists state unironically. gently caress everything and especially Tim Allen.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I thought it was neat to pick out that what both of them were doing was fundamentally terrible - namely, using the kid's development as a proxy to bicker with each other - but that apparently the show had no problem with that, so long as the right side of the argument wins in the end (Mike's).

Also strawman vegan-atheist-liberals in conservative comedy are terrible.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Occupation posted:

I watched a few episodes of the first season out of curiosity, but it was p bad.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Occupation posted:

I've seen Last Man Standing, and I know your pain. My parents watch it :stonk: I don't know why. They don't even laugh. They just...watch it, as if long ago they agreed to watch every Tim Allen vehicle, to hell with the cost!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Occupation posted:

Yeah Eve is the best, gently caress the haters

As somebody who has watched all of season two and three (and loving every last word of your reviews), whatever you do don't watch season three if you want to keep that opinion.

While I can't justify watching this show, it is pretty exciting knowing ahead of time which scene occ is going to fail the toxx

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

^^^ My curiosity has never been more piqued. I am so excited.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Cyks posted:

As somebody who has watched all of season two and three

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My spoiler loving nature made me look up what happens in the rest of season 2/3.

I'm so happy right now. We get to watch Occ's descent into hell, which is apparently a lovely conservative version of All in the Family.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cyks posted:

As somebody who has watched all of season two and three (and loving every last word of your reviews), whatever you do don't watch season three if you want to keep that opinion.

While I can't justify watching this show, it is pretty exciting knowing ahead of time which scene occ is going to fail the toxx

Rest assured that my unrelenting mental and emotional abuse will spur him ever onward.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I don't know what happens next, but we're all winners no matter the outcome.

Except Occupation.

:munch: :munch: :munch:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxxidation posted:

Rest assured that my unrelenting mental and emotional abuse will spur him ever onward.

You're a bad person

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Occupation posted:

You're a bad person

If you don't watch season 3 then how can we laugh about your pain? Think about that, mr selfish.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I just happened upon this thread. I'm amazed with your tenacity. Weaker men and women would have just taken the ban after the first episode. Godspeed, Occupation.

Jesus Christ, this show sounds awful. I don't need Tim Allen to shove his conservative chauvinistic beliefs down my throat. :smith:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I just found out Tim Allen's real name is Tim Dick

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

That DICK! posted:

I just found out Tim Allen's real name is Tim Dick

Of course you did.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Just discovered this thread and WOW, my parents watch this. I bet there are episodes of this sitting on our DVR right loving now.

I actually use to watch Home Improvement a lot as a kid and was kind of curious as to how this was, glad I dodged that bullet. Thank you Occupation, you are doing the Lord's work.

Edit: I also watched The Drew Carey Show when It was on. And Starship Troopers...wow I was into a lot of conservative media back then.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 12, 2014

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Something horrible is going to come of this thread, I can feel it in my bones. This show is going to break Occupation's brain, or lead him to some divine revelation that spawns a religious movement that will sweep violently across the globe, destroying every instrument of television production it can lay hands upon.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Last Man Standing
"Putting a Hit on Christmas"
Season 2, Episode 7

It's the Christmas episode. Also it's really good. Like an actually genuinely good episode of television. And not in the way that "High Expectations" was good, in that it was an episode that tried to be deep and have a greater message. This episode was just funny. You know, funny. Something Last Man Standing is usually wholly unfamiliar with.

The episode kicks off with Kristen and Ryan coming through the door, arguing. Apparently Ryan wants to bring Boyd up to his parents' house for Christmas. Which is in Canada. Of course. Kristen is upset with this development and forbids Ryan from taking Boyd. Mike agrees, and some obvious Canadian bashing occurs, and right here is when I got nervous that the conflict of the episode was going to be about Ryan wanting to take Boyd to meet his parents, who have apparently somehow never met Boyd. Luckily the episode didn't go for the obvious Canadian slams with a side of anti-atheism the show adores pulling but instead segues this into a more generic (anti-)Christmas story.

Mike is at a loss of what to get Vanessa for Christmas. He asks Ed what he should get her, and...you know what, I'm just gonna quote the entire exchange because it's genuinely hilarious:

Ed: "You have a dog right? Muffin? Vanessa loves this dog? Good. Go home, kidnap the dog. Just hide it somewhere. Now this is important- write down where you hid it. Vanessa's gonna think it's lost! She's distraught, she's puts up signs all over the neighborhood. At the right time, you find Muffin. You wrap a big red bow around his neck, it's a Christmas miracle. You're a hero."
Mike: "Please God don't tell me you've done this before."
Ed: "My only mistake was doing it twice with the same wife."

Apparently Vanessa has no desire to host a big Christmas holiday and wishes that she could somehow skip Christmas entirely, instead having a nice, quiet holiday alone with Mike. Mike promises her to get rid of the kids for the holiday, via various methods- convince Kristen to go up to the Great White North, pay off Eve, etc. -and each scene is genuinely amusing, especially the scenes where Mike has to bribe/is coerced by Eve.

The reason this episode works so well is is it's the least, well, Last Man Standing-y. Each previous episode this season has been about presenting a viewpoint, usually a regressive one. Further, each episode implies that you're supposed to be rooting for someone, usually Mike, as the moral agent. So it's all the more offensive and terrible when the people are just completely awful human beings as the entire show feels like disingenuous, underhanded garbage.

This episode has none of that. The feel of this episode is like an episode of Seinfeld or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, where it's just terrible people abusing and manipulating each other. This is most evidently seen in the B-plot of the episode: Ed loving shoots a bald loving eagle then has to drive out and bury it before he's fined. That's awful! That's a hilariously, terribly awful thing to do. In a Christmas episode even! Mike and Jenny are just as bad, by manipulating others, especially their children, so they don't have to see their miserable faces. The whole episode just works when it drops the pretension and presents these people as horrible messes of human beings manipulating each other, and the writing is uncharacteristically sharp and taut.

And the ending! So it turns out that, after succeeding at manipulating and coercing everyone out of the house, Vanessa watches Boyd turn a musical snowglobe which plays her favorite Christmas song. Predictably she breaks down into a weepy mess, rushes back to Mike, and begs him to bring the kids back, which he of course magically does. The episode is almost ruined by the forced sentimentality, until it's revealed in the credits teaser that he had predicted all along that she would do this, and planted the snowglobe on Boyd in the first place. He "stole the dog" away- except they were his kids -knew Vanessa would waffle, then brought the kids back. The plot has a well-done circular logic to it, and is a great subversion of the sentimental ending by revealing how much of a Machiavellian rear end in a top hat Mike is. It's incredible. This is an incredible episode of television.

Grade: A

Random Thoughts:
  • Maybe it was unintentional and the writers meant for the "emotional" moment to land (it probably was), but it doesn't matter because it totally didn't and that made it funnier, especially after the reveal.
  • Mike: "Christmas stroke. Apparently, the EMS guys showed up in Santa hats. I thought that was inappropriate, I really did."
  • Mike: "Really? So they looked at [Ryan] after he was born and said, 'Can't do better than that, eh?'"
  • Mike: "We got Mandy taken care of. Kristen and Boyd...We got just one more kid to get rid of."
  • Kyle: "I fired Eve like you told me to. She didn't take it well...She said some things, scary things... Can you walk me to my car tonight?"
  • Mike: "...You shot a bald eagle."
  • Ed: "I'm so ashamed of the crime I've committed against my country...On the other hand. I've bagged a friggin' eagle!"
  • Mike: "I don't know how much altitude that bird's gonna get. There was a lot of blood in that bag."

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 12, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's almost troubling to know this show has the ability to be legitimately funny but instead does...This.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

:allears: This thread is the goddamn best.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Occupation posted:

This episode has none of that. The feel of this episode is like an episode of Seinfeld or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, where it's just terrible people abusing and manipulating each other. This is most evidently seen in the B-plot of the episode: Ed loving shoots a bald loving eagle then has to drive out and bury it before he's fined. That's awful! That's a hilariously, terribly awful thing to do. In a Christmas episode even! Mike and Jenny are just as bad, by manipulating others, especially their children, so they don't have to see their miserable faces. The whole episode just works when it drops the pretension and presents these people as horrible messes of human beings manipulating each other, and the writing is uncharacteristically sharp and taut.

I almost want to watch this now :ohdear:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Zaggitz posted:

First order of business once you are done this season is to find a way to get you toxxed into watching the rest of the show.

Okay I think I worked out a solution that gets you sadists what you clearly want

So I'm gonna finish this godawful season of Last Man Standing. And I will, at Deadpool's request, review the first four episodes of season 3 to fulfill the original spirit of the toxx agreement. So yeah you're getting that guaranteed

If Deadpool is willing, if he'll name/av change me to fulfill the second part of my toxx (I have to get an insulting name/av of SHUPS' choice) I'll do the rest of season 3, at the same standard I'm doing now-long form recap/reviews. I'm kind of broke and don't really have the spare 15bux right now, but want to honor my agreement so I think this is a fair trade

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Oh, no, no! My friend is gonna kill you.
I'm just gonna watch.

And here's av sized

I'm still working on your new un and am accepting suggestions.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

btw your new username is E PLURIBUS ANUS

I just want to point out: I'm still getting a raw deal out of this since the avatar and name are meant to be insulting.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So Tim Allen plays like three people on this show right, he's both Mike and Ed?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

HOLY poo poo 208 OF LAST MAN STANDING MAKES A JOKE ABOUT HOW THE WORD "friend of the family" ISN'T ACTUALLY HURTFUL

!

!

!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Was home improvement this bad or was I just young and didn't notice?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Occupation posted:

HOLY poo poo 208 OF LAST MAN STANDING MAKES A JOKE ABOUT HOW THE WORD "friend of the family" ISN'T ACTUALLY HURTFUL

Is the rationale "black people use it, which means it can't be that bad, which means I can use it?" Because that's my favorite reason for why everyone should be able to say it without offending anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Women's Rights? posted:

Is the rationale "black people use it, which means it can't be that bad, which means I can use it?" Because that's my favorite reason for why everyone should be able to say it without offending anyone

No, it's that words aren't hurtful

• Locked thread