Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Considering how much Occ is foaming at the mouth over an innocuous TGIF sitcom, I'd love to see his take on All in the Family.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Also, I heard that the actress got changed between seasons because Tim Allen is exactly as much of an rear end in a top hat as you think he is. She didn't get along with him so guess who ended up getting the boot?

Was it the show's star and only draw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Practical Demon posted:

To be (more than) fair, there aren't many explicitly right leaning shows on the networks for that audience.

While I don't think Tim Allen's character is any more right leaning than Hank Hill (ie not at all), you're right when you say there's very little political diversity on the networks. While a lot of that stems from the silver spoon, upper class writers and producers who make television shows, most of it comes from the apolitical nature of network television in general. Networks don't want to alienate half their viewership by taking a stand, so they choose to say nothing and the result are blank slate characters the viewer can insert his own politics into. Tim Taylor says something I don't like? He's a Republican. Andy from P&R was funny this week? Big time lib. Don tells Peggy to shut her loving mouth? Definitely a conservative. And so on.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I have never seen LMS, but having a sympathetic right-leaning character doesn't necessarily mean the show or Allen has a right-leaning agenda.

Practical Demon posted:

But something like Mad Men is making a statement about the misogyny and grossness of its characters by showing these people are ultimately wrong as the world moves on around them. This is hidden under a layer of period piece, but the attitudes their commenting on haven't disappeared in 50 years.

Yes, and no. If Mad Men was just about women's issues, no one would still be watching it seven years later. Misogyny on Mad Men is a surface detail, like period clothing, music and cultural references. The show is actually a treatise on aging and the difficulty we have dealing with, and adapting to, change. Yeah, Peggy fought the patriarchy, but the biggest battles she fights are against herself. Misogyny didn't stab her boyfriend, she did. In other words, hers is a deeply personal story and attributing political undertones to it is more a reflection of your politics than it is the show's.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
To put things in perspective, Last Man Standing is more popular than goon favorite comedies Brooklyn 9-9, Community and Parks and Recreation despite airing in the so-called Friday night death slot. It handily doubles each of those shows viewers and, in B99's case, triples them.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Propaganda Machine posted:

Anyway, I don't think the stupidity comes from the USA not having an official language. That's another point that many, many Americans are not aware of.

Actually, no, that's not a point because nobody is arguing it. In the episode, Tim believes Spanish language instruction in schools is being used by immigrants as an excuse to not assimilate with native Americans and the greater American culture. He's wrong, and there are several characters on the show who point this out to him or whose very existence proves him wrong (his maid, the guy in the sporting goods store, his daughter's husband).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Propaganda Machine posted:

Really? I got a much more xenophobic read from that. Like, it was fine for his maid to be naturalizing and learning English, but it wasn't fine for his grandkid to be learning Spanish because the context indicates that native-born Latin US-Americans are learning Spanish first at home, even though MURCA.

I came away with the impression that Tim was just running his mouth. Notice how the bilingual education topic was dropped immediately after that conversation and how he also ribbed his daughter for majoring in philosophy. Its clear he wasn't serious about either objection so long as his children were getting the best education available. Maybe I'm being too generous, but I don't think Tim's character is supposed to be a close-minded xenophobe. He just says the first thing that pops into his head, whether its what he truly believes or not.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

"Ugly" Ryan comes out in full force here, the liberal strawman with no sense of tact engaging the cool, self-possessed and charming job creator John.

A liberal with no sense of tact? So basically every liberal.

*high-fives Tim Allen*

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GaussianCopula posted:

It would be interesting to study if the quality of writing is dropping by a significant degree everytime they talk about right-wing politics or if the reviewer's brain just shut's down as soon as it notices a right wing thought on the show.

The latter. I've now seen two episodes of LMS and while I don't think its good enough to watch on a regular basis, its a perfectly serviceable sitcom that never gets truly awful. The Neighbors was a bad show. Whitney was a bad show. Mixology was a bad show. LMS is, at worst, an okay show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Would you say Occupation just got...

spanked?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The spanking episode had three highlights worth bringing up:

1. The two younger daughters making fun of the older daughter for getting spanked was cute and funny.
2. The audience cheering when Tim Allen put that little shitstain Boyd in his place. I know goons prefer single cam shows for *reasons*, but a genuine audience reaction like that is one of the oft-ignored benefits you only get with multi-cam.
3. The scene at the end with Jeff and his girlfriend discussing the way he dresses was pretty funny. The guy who plays Jeff does dumb yet lovable pretty well.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Did he seriously toxx himself on both outcomes? What a maroon.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
No one will think any less of you if you take the ban.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

quote:

Eve: "Bring it on, trailblazers gotta take some hits. Just like Barry Goldwater paved the way for Ronald Reagan, right dad?"

Eve is officially my favorite character in television history. She's like a 17 year-old me :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Seeing as the last hyperbolic reaction was about spanking of all things, I'm guessing this one is about one of the following:

1. Crate training.
2. "M'lady."
3. Hunting (have we had a retarded tirade against hunting yet?).
4. Conceal carry permits.

• Locked thread