Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They're lulling you into a false sense of security. The truly egregious episodes to come will be all the more offensive for knowing that they can make passable television when they want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I thought it was neat to pick out that what both of them were doing was fundamentally terrible - namely, using the kid's development as a proxy to bicker with each other - but that apparently the show had no problem with that, so long as the right side of the argument wins in the end (Mike's).

Also strawman vegan-atheist-liberals in conservative comedy are terrible.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Alas, Tim Allen knows that it always falls to the white, middle-aged, well-off man to tell everyone else that words don't really mean anything and they should stop being so sensitive. What a burden to bear.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Thank you, Occupation, for somehow guaranteeing the return of Community.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It makes you wonder if it really was a parody, or if he was in on the joke.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Now that sounds like an incredible episode of terrible TV. A really good take on the last name issue, especially how Mike has no drat say in it yet apparently manages to make it all about him and how he feels about it anyway. By the way you describe it, it even sounds like he's portrayed as "graciously conceding" at the end rather than learning anything about not getting way too involved in his grandson's business.

And holy hell, that Obama joke. The best touch isn't even the Dunham bit, it's the Barry bit - people have called Barack Barry for all sorts of reasons, including Barack himself, but the way that line's structured I can just feel how much more comfortable Tim AllenMike Baxter would be if only the President didn't seem so foreign and un-American. Such a dog-whistle.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 20, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Ryan literally uses that as a defense and Mike just straight up ignores it

Bringing this point back from the last episode because it's the crowning turd in the waterpipe. It means someone in the writing room was smart enough to notice the problem and decided to deflect it, which is worse than them all just being too dim to spot the obvious comparison.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I admit, I'm kind of curious, although that's happening in the middle of trivia night for me so I probably won't make it out. Looking forward to reading about it though.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Have you tried looking at the show's writers and seeing if you can find any pattern between who writes the scripts and which episodes are better or worse? You might be able to trace something that way, if episodes like that are confusing you.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The thread is over because Occ is dead. Rip in peace, buddy.

But seriously, thank you for grinding through this awful show and giving us a worthwhile breakdown, both as television and politically. I imagine it must be difficult at times (the previous episode, for example) but your good work is exposing a terrible show to the light of day and letting it be challenged on being so poo poo - a worthy goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Just catching up on the thread, but was it mentioned before that Chuck served in the military? While that's fine and all, I remember reading somewhere about how giving black characters a military background is a common writing thing to make them more acceptable to white audiences. Something about how most black characters in comics for a while would all either have been in jail or in the army, too.

Considering the rest of LMS's politics I wouldn't be surprised if that was meant to be some kind of "one of the good ones" nod.

The watchalong sounds fun, especially since I missed the last one and want to see this show firsthand, I'm in.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 7, 2014

• Locked thread