Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Well if no one else is going to mention it I might as well say it: Before he was famous Tim Allen was arrested for being a rather prolific cocaine smuggler and squealed on his compatriots to dodge a life sentence. He's probably the last person to have any right to complain about how great America was before we all became pussies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Mother Fracker won an award in the category Television Episodic Comedy from the Environmental Media Awards.

The EMA's are a pretty blatant conscience laundering scheme for the entertainment industry, so this is not a surprise.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Occupation posted:

Last Man Standing
"Circle of Life"
[*] Vanessa (in defending her belief in God): "The world is full of things that don't make any rational sense." Mike: "Yeah! Like the U.N. Plus-sized bikinis. Wealthy Democrats. The fact that [Ryan and Kristen] got together in the first place."[/list]

This poo poo struck one of my nerves. There are plenty of theistic scientists, hell I'm one of them, but this is boilerplate "God of the Gaps" nonsense that only creationists state unironically. gently caress everything and especially Tim Allen.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Occupation posted:

Last Man Standing
"Putting a Hit on Christmas"
Season 2, Episode 7
Grade: A

I'm imagining the higher ups saying "Alright it's the Christmas episode, let's just crank this out and go home" and one of the writers is fresh out of college as an English major with dreams of their own top tier show on FX or HBO someday who hates having to write this poo poo for food money and a resume credit so they snuck in something subversive when no one was looking.

EDIT:

Occupation posted:

Last Man Standing
"Bullying"
(Oh, and by the way, complaining about how the phrase "jerry rig" is defamatory to Germans- which I have literally never loving heard before -and not pointing out how the phrase is the more acceptable version of the phrase "friend of the family rig" is some aggressive loving ignorance. You're a loving idiot, Tim Allen.)
It's always been "Jury Rigged" "Jerry" is a bastardization. The term comes from sailors who would use blankets and/or shirts to replace holes in sails, the origin being the french word jour meaning day, so sailors started going around saying "It's my jour mast" when they came to port needing repairs, and the word eventually trickled down into the phrase we know today. I just explained this because everything else makes me rage.

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 12, 2014

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
It really is hosed up how many conservatives view their children and grandchildren as political pawns.

This also hit home for me as I also picked my last name because of a complicated family life growing up, so, sympathy

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Last Man Standing
"Buffalo Bill"
The only saving grace of this episode- because, no, at no point does Mike realize what a loving douche he is or get called out for it -is the scene at the end of the episode between Kristen and Ryan where Ryan asserts that even though Mike is an rear end in a top hat, he is right inasmuch as Ryan was a coward who ran away from his problems, and he promises Kristen to always be there for Boyd. It was a genuinely touching scene that also backdoor gives the show ZERO loving DEFENSE to use "Ryan was a deadbeat dad" as an excuse for Mike to be a dick to him. Ryan's owned his mistakes and is attempting to change for the better, which is literally the best anyone can ever do. From here forward this show is going to be graded much more harshly if they make this a dramatic point since the episode completely resolved the issue.

If this was any other show, a deliberate parallel would be drawn where Mike realizes his "Who cares it was centuries ago" defense for maintaining his cowboys and injuns display can also be applied to Ryan wanting to be a better father than he was two years ago. He'd have an epiphany, some slow licensed music would play in the background and we'd all learn something. Instead we get the opposite because Mike is right about everything.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

hcreight posted:

This isn't even politically motivated bullshit. This is just proof Mike Baxter is an rear end in a top hat.

But, as has been noted on many other political discussions, being a spiteful rear end in a top hat is the entire motivating purpose of the modern American Republican Party.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dolash posted:

Have you tried looking at the show's writers and seeing if you can find any pattern between who writes the scripts and which episodes are better or worse? You might be able to trace something that way, if episodes like that are confusing you.

Looking at IMDb the writing staff seems to be mostly new and inexperienced. If I had to guess, when the producers tell them to write an episode that supports their messed up conservative politics the writers phone it in, but when the instructions are vague enough (Like the Christmas episode) they have a little fun/put something they can use on their resumes.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I said it after the Christmas episode review, I'll repeat it here: I theorize that the higher-ups told the writers to crank out a Thanksgiving episode, and without having any orders based on topical politics or Tim Allen's half-mad ramblings about masculinity, they were able to put their talents to work and make something they could be proud of

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
No mention of the B-plot and how much creepy PUA biotruth poo poo it had?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

I'm one (1) minute into 312 and do not want to watch this any more

There are worse kinds of people, but to me there is nothing more insufferable than someone who yells "MAH FREE SPEECH:bahgawd:" when you tell them their political ideas are dumb and/or harmful.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Vanessa: "Why don't you just stop reposting your father's vlogs?" Mike: "Thank god you weren't at Lexington and Concord."

This is something even me, someone who knows the depths to which LMS can and will sink, would never even jokingly make up, because I would go in my head, "Come on, Mike's a conservative idiot but even he wouldn't compare reposting vlogs on facebook to the Revolutionary War. That's just silly." But this actually loving happened! What?!

If you read the Freep thread on D&D* this is actually a depressingly common theme among hardcore conservatives, loving EVERYTHING they do is equal to the first shots of the second American Revolution/Civil War

*Don't. For your own sanity

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
This episode is a little weird to me in that it's like they want to say that Mike's views on psychology are wrong but they don't want him to actually be wrong about things.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
There goes my theory about holiday episodes on this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Last Man Standing
"Hard-rear end Teacher"
Sorry, the JROTC quote-on-quote "arc" of Eve just ain't working for me. Maybe it's from my own personal experiences in the military, but the forced jingoism just lands really flat with me and I start questioning the plausibility of the entire plot itself- Eve at one point says she wants to go to West Point to be an "Army Ranger", and I'm still pretty sure the Rangers are men-only since they're still technically a Spec Ops branch.

The Rangers aren't integrated yet but they intend to be by 2015 so a girl who is still in high school (Don't know how old Eve is supposed to be) could plan to join and reasonably expect a place for her if she qualifies when she's old enough.

• Locked thread