Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James Hardon
May 31, 2006
It sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Hardon
May 31, 2006
I can't decide if Ghostbusters, Pacific Rim or Elysium is my favorite movie but I love endlessly talking about each of them with equal enthusiasm.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Eh. It really kind of comes with the territory, given that the movie is basically about a violent Marxist revolution portrayed sympathetically and was released primarily in a country that largely has no clue what Marxism even is other than "BAD THING." When you don't have the proper frame of reference to interpret a movie, you end up with some weird poo poo sometimes.

e: And yeah, if you thought Elysium was Blomkamp's "whoops, just kidding" moment, I kinda wonder if we watched the same movie. It's not as deep as District 9, and it's very very unsubtle about its politics, but it's really a drat fun movie; just looking at it purely as an action movie rather than a political tract, I'd only put it a hair behind Dredd.

The "cures" meme.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

RandomCheese posted:

I liked the film enough but really he would have ended up as fleshy pulp limply hanging from a ghetto exoskeleton after the first robot throwdown. Gluing a watermelon to the front fender of a military vehicle does not result in a suddenly invunerable piece of fruit.

Same RandomCheese.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006
You are all incredibly retarded.

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Those places don't suddenly vanish into thin air, and a lot of the new citizens are the people who were building the space station parts (and drone parts and etc) in the first place.

Really, you could come up with a decent argument for either side, the film doesn't give us enough info for a conclusive answer; we're never shown how Elysium was built or what kind of tech it uses, we just get dropped in x years later.

The "cures" meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

This is a pretty good summation of why Elysium is loving awesome. It's a leftist propaganda piece, essentially, but it doesn't get bogged down in it; instead, it has fun with the concept. It's an action movie first and LF: The Movie second.

The "cures" meme.

• Locked thread