Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yesterday Occupation lost a Toxx and was forced to review a show of my choosing as his punishment. As such I threw him the second season of a show that he had no context for. I thought it would be fun if some people were to do the same thing, but on a smaller more sustainable level.

So in this thread, if you so choose, I will pick a random episode of a random show and you will review it. I don't care what style review it is or if you use some kind of gimmick, just put a bit of effort into it. You'll be watching just one episode, completely devoid of context. You may be thrown into a sixth season episode of a twenty season show or you may get something that just came on last week. It could be a bad show or a good show. I'm not limiting it to just bad stuff.

We'll do it like this: You'll post and volunteer, give me a list of a handful of shows that you watch that represent a range of your general taste, and I'll assign you an episode of a show. Seems simple enough right?

If I assign you something that you've already seen you're on the honor system to turn it down. The point of this is to be thrown into something you don't know anything about. If you can't get access to the episode I assign just ask for another. If you have a preference for me to pick a show that's on a particular streaming service let me know that as well and I'll try to the best of my ability. If you're just going to pirate whatever I assign you then please just don't say so. Don't ask for another episode if you just don't like my choice because odds are more people are not going to like the choices than will.

After a couple weeks if the thread actually gets any traction (I have my doubts) we'll rotate out who gets to pick the shows and I'll pass it on to someone else.

I think it should be pretty fun if you guys have some fun with it. I'll edit in assignments and review links into the OP when they're made. If anyone actually responds.

Deadpool posted:

This is now a :toxx: thread. At least initially to make sure people actually follow through. For your first review you'll have one week to review your episode or you'll be probated for one week. Any subsequent review you sign up for will be Toxx free but if you don't review it after one week you're disqualified from further participation.

Assignments:
DivisionPost: Quantum Leap Season 2 Episode 17 link
CaptainHollywood: Teen Wolf Season 3 Episode 9
Mr. Aristocrates: Primeval Season 3 Episode 4 link
Josh Lyman: Smallville Season 4 Episode 8 link
PootieTang: The Middle Season 5 Episode 19
Maxwell Lord: Robin Hood (2006) Season 4 Episode 13
Rarity: Person of Interest Season 3 Episode 8 link
xeria: Warehouse 13 Season 4 Episode 13 link
Solid Poopsnake: Sex and the City Season 4 Episode 10 link
hcreight: She-Ra Princess of Power Season 1 Episode 10 link
Bown: House of Lies Season 2 Episode 8 link
MrFlibble: Reign Season 1 Episode 15 link
IRQ: The Following Season 2 Episode 9 link
Max22: Saved By The Bell Season 1 Episode 5 link
User-Friendly: Saved By The Bell The College Years Season 1 Episode 6 link
Annakie: Saved By The Bell The New Class Season 1 Episode 7 link
precision: NCIS LA Season 4 Episode 14 link
Ror: Dads Season 1 Episode 7 link
IRQ: The Killing Season 3 Episode 3 link
Aye Doc: Last Man Standing Season 2 Episode 3 link
Zaggitz: Ghostbusters The Animated Series Season 1 Episode 8 link
Senerio: CSI Season 14 Episode 21 link
Regy Rusty: Scrubs Season 3 Episode 14 link
tsuki: Acapulco H.E.A.T. Season 1 Episode 4 link
DivisionPost: Vikings Season 1 Episode 5
13Pandora13: Flight of the Conchords Season 2 Episode 4 link
Josh Lyman: Primeval Season 5 Episode 6 link
Aye Doc: Metal Hurlant Chronicles Season 1 Episode 7 link
FreezingInferno: Grimm Season 3 Episode 17
SHUPS 4 DETH: Beauty and the Beast Season 2 Episode 15
Ironic Twist: The Carrie Diaries Season 2 Episode 10
Senerio: Falling Skies Season 3 Episode 6 link
CuwiKhons: Sleepy Hollow Season 1 Episode 7 link
Geeves: Camelot Season 1 Episode 5
Propaganda Machine: The Goldbergs Season 1 Episode 20 link
JohnSherman: TekWar Season 2 Episode 6
Zaggitz: Homicide Life on the Street Season 1 Episode 5 link
Josh Lyman: Metal Hurlant Chronicles Season 1 Episode 5 link

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm ready to :toxx: this up! Shows that I've watched the most episodes of include:

Drama: West Wing, House, 24, Castle, Breaking Bad

Sci-Fi: Star Trek TNG, Stargate SG-1, Buffy, X-Files, Fringe, BSG, Heroes

Comedy: South Park, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, 30 Rock, Boston Legal, Family Guy

edit: You should probably provide a few suggestions since it's very likely that we've seen some episodes of many shows.

edit2: It occurred to me that it would be easier for me to list long-running shows that I don't really know anything about other than pop culture references:
Smallville
NCIS
Two and a Half Men
Supernatural
The Game
NCIS: Los Angeles
The Middle
Vampire Diaries
The Good Wife
One Tree Hill
The Sopranos
The Wire

edit3: 2013-14 shows I haven't seen any of:
Betrayal
Resurrection
Once Upon A Time In Wonderland
Believe
Crisis
We Are Men
Friends with Better Lives
Mom
Star-Crossed
The Tomorrow People
The Goldbergs
Lucky 7
Killer Women
The Originals
About a Boy
Growing Up Fisher
Back in the Game
Super Fun Night
The 100
Ironside
Chicago PD
The Assets
Black Box
The Crazy Ones
The Millers
Bad Teacher
Rake
Surviving Jack
Welcome to the Family
Sean Saves the World
Michael J Fox Show
Enlisted

edit4: I would say I've watched too much TV in my life if I didn't think it wasn't a problem :v:

edit5: 2012-13 shows I haven't seen any of:
Red Widow
Crossing Lines
Mistresses
Partners
Carrie Diaries
Mob Doctor
Goodwin Games
Siberia
Vegas
Golden Boy
Brooklyn DA
Emily Owens, M.D.
Go On
New Normal
The Neighbors
Family Tools
Nashville
The Lookout
How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)
Arrow
Animal Practice
Guys with Kids
Chicago Fire
Camp
Motive
Beauty & the Beast
1600 Penn
Do No Harm
Save Me
Malibu Country
Made in Jersey
The Following

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 10, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You should probs make entering itself constitute a toxx, dead, or you'll get a bunch of no-shows

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This is a cool idea! I'm in assuming you can give me something available on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or HBO GO.

5 Dramas off the top of my head that I like: Person of Interest, Arrow, Breaking Bad, Hannibal, and Scandal. Comedy would be Archer, Louie, Community, Parks and Rec, and Silicon Valley

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I'm down!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alright. I watch stuff like Community, 30 Rock, Hannibal, Arrow, Breaking Bad, Friday Night Lights, Psych, and Person of Interest.

e: I have all three streaming services so I'm down for whatever.

e2: :toxx:

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 10, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Occupation posted:

You should probs make entering itself constitute a toxx, dead, or you'll get a bunch of no-shows

This is a good point. To the ones above I'll let you reconsider. Either edit your posts or reply to this one. This is now a :toxx: thread. At least initially to make sure people actually follow through. For your first review you'll have one week to review your episode or you'll be probated for one week. Any subsequent review you sign up for will be Toxx free but if you don't review it after one week you're disqualified from further participation.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Give everyone here random episodes of Last Man Standing, season one

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'll stay in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Contingent on the acceptance of the :toxx: above

Josh Lyman: Dads Season 1 Episode 7

DivisionPost: Quantum Leap Season 2 Episode 17

CaptainHollywood: Teen Wolf Season 3 Episode 9

Mr. Aristocrates: Primeval Season 3 Episode 4

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Up for whatever here (so long as it's accessible via streaming, etc.)

Comedies: Community (RIP), Parks and Rec, New Girl, Brooklyn 99, Archer, Louie, Mindy, Modern Family at times, Bob's Burgers

Drama: Hannibal, GoT, Mad Men, Sleepy Hollow

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Deadpool posted:

Mr. Aristocrates: Primeval Season 3 Episode 4

I've never even heard of this, but okay.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Contingent on the acceptance of the :toxx: above

Josh Lyman: Dads Season 1 Episode 7
I have, unfortunately, seen the first 15 episodes of Dads. I edited my post with shows that you can pick from.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 10, 2014

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm down, seems like a fun little experiment.

Stuff I've seen/watch currently:

Drama: Utopia, Breaking Bad The Americans, The Shield, Hannibal, Rome, Luther, House of Cards (Both Brit and American versions) and all those HBO shows (GoT, True detective, The Wire etc).

Syfy: BSG, Ghost in the Shell, Star trek TNG, one episode of Almost Human (God that show was garbage), Mystery Science Theater, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Comedy: Veep, Archer, Bobs Burgers, Frisky Dingo, the Venture brothers, Dr Katz.

Children's shows I un-ironically enjoy: Teen Titans Go, Ed Edd and Eddy, Regular Show, Neon Genesis Evangelion

:toxx:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MrAristocrates posted:

I've never even heard of this, but okay.

That's kind of the point! Though I realize two of the other shows I picked are fairly well known. I've never seen any of the episodes (or shows) I picked. Except maybe the Quantum Leap one as a child.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok guys. We doing this poo poo.

I'll review one episode of Person of Interest.

Bring it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Give her Relevance, Dead

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Make it Proteus.

Please, please make it Proteus.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Josh Lyman: Smallville Season 4 Episode 8 (I'm sorry.)

PootieTang: The Middle Season 5 Episode 19

And finally, a really special one. I've never seen the show but I always see it plastered on Amazon and used to always see it listed on Netflix when I had it.

Maxwell Lord: Robin Hood (2006) Season 4 Episode 13 (That's right, Part 2 of the Series Finale without watching Part 1)

EDIT:

Rarity: Person of Interest Season 3 Episode 8

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Woo gimme some TV.

Current stuff I generally keep up on (or am in the process of doing so): Pretty Little Liars, Arrow, Agents of SHIELD, Faking It, Grey's Anatomy, Person of Interest, Game of Thrones, The Fosters, Hannibal, Orphan Black, Orange is the New Black, B99, Archer

Old staples: Friends, X-Files, ER, Happy Endings, BSG

Stuff I begrudgingly admit to having watched: Glee, The L Word

(Tangentially, please assign random people episodes of PLL.)

Edit: I'm apparently very bad at remembering what shows I watch.

xeria fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 10, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The most surprising revelation of this thread has been that there's been five seasons of The Middle

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

xeria: Warehouse 13 Season 4 Episode 13

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
This sounds pretty fun. I'm in.

Drama: All of HBO, Breaking Bad, the Americans, Person of Interest, The Shield.

Comedy: Community, 30 Rock, Rick and Morty, TDS

I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, and like triple-tier platinum digital cable Championship Edition and everything available On Demand therein.

:toxx:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Deadpool posted:

Rarity: Person of Interest Season 3 Episode 8

I see this is called 'Endgame'. I'm sure I will greatly enjoy an arc finale that requires awareness of the backstory to appreciate :v:

That Robin Hood show is so bad. Hard luck, Maxwell

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Occupation posted:

The most surprising revelation of this thread has been that there's been five seasons of The Middle

I've purposely avoided the show because of all the negative emotions that arise when I see it's advertising.

How Deadpool managed to somehow sense this and punish me thus, I have no clue.

Well, at least I liked Malcolm in the Middle, maybe it will be as good as the show it's ripping off?

Rarity posted:

I see this is called 'Endgame'. I'm sure I will greatly enjoy an arc finale that requires awareness of the backstory to appreciate :v:

Well it's propaganda with the same title as a Highlander sequel, that's a sure sign of quality regardless of backstory :V

PootieTang fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 10, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Nice. I'll get on that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rarity posted:

That Robin Hood show is so bad. Hard luck, Maxwell

I just pick random episode numbers on all of these so far with the exception of Robin Hood which I specially wanted the last episode of but didn't realize until I was typing up that it was a two parter. That's why I said sorry to Josh Lyman when I saw what I had picked for him. I don't watch Person of Interest and had no idea that episode was an important one. Should make for more interesting reviews though!

Solid Poopsnake: Sex and the City Season 4 Episode 10

X-O fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 10, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

DivisionPost: Quantum Leap Season 2 Episode 17

I plan on writing a proper review, but if you guys want to watch me react to this in real time, I set up a Google Doc for it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Q4zhmsWE0USIQ0VJVvFJQPSQy9HcpQiJyrtVGz1KBc/edit?usp=docslist_api

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Sweet, I'm down.

Current/recent stuff I watch: PoI, Arrow, Grimm, Parks, Community, GoT, Archer, Justified, HIMYM, Silicon Valley, Breaking Bad, Awkward, PLL (seconding what xeria said), Brooklyn 99, Shameless, sometimes Modern Family.

Older stuff: Simpsons, Friends, X Files, Cheers, ER, Frasier Seinfeld, BSG, The Shield, FNL, Deadwood, Sopranos, some of Six Feet Under and The Wire.

Shows I've seen enough of to have a basic grasp of what's going on: Glee, The Middle, Suburgatory, New Girl, The Americans, BBT, 2 Broke Girls, Agents of SHIELD.

This isn't at all a comprehensive list, but here's hoping you can throw me something I've seen none of.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Deadpool posted:

Solid Poopsnake: Sex and the City Season 4 Episode 10

Aaaaaaaahahahahahaha oh my god oh my god okay

Oh man, of all the television possibilities, that never even entered my mind. I'll watch it tonight!

Fake edit: You were loving waiting for someone to say they had HBO Go, weren't you, you son of a bitch?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am all kinds of in. Genuinely I don't watch genre TV and like more down-to-earth stuff, but here's a list of a few shows I like, first that are currently airing and second all-time favourites.

Drama: Mad Men, Fargo, Hannibal, GoT / The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, the cliched ones you know the drill here.
Comedy: Comedy Bang! Bang!, Louie, Adventure Time, Bob's Burgers / Arrested Development, Party Down, Community, Office US, 30 Rock.

No restrictions when it comes to network etc. Bring it on.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Alright this sounds fun, I'll review something. My usuals - Arrow, Person of Interest, Justified, Hannibal, Castle, The Mentalist, Revenge, Scandal, Brooklyn 99 and Archer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Aaaaaaaahahahahahaha oh my god oh my god okay

Oh man, of all the television possibilities, that never even entered my mind. I'll watch it tonight!

Fake edit: You were loving waiting for someone to say they had HBO Go, weren't you, you son of a bitch?

No comment!

hcreight: Eureka Season 4 Episode 3

Bown: House of Lies Season 2 Episode 8

MrFlibble: Reign Season 1 Episode 15

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
My condolences to the poor bastard who pulled Primeval.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Irish Joe posted:

Oh god what am I walking into

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I watch a lot but if you can find something I haven't and have no experience with great but giving an exhaustive list would take forever. Here's the basics I guess:

Drama: most semi-hard/hard sci-fi I've seen from the 90s onward. NCIS, Lost, BSG, Arrow, Orphan Black, 24, ER, most of those campy BBC period dramadies, the HBO/FX/AMC mainstays, I dunno this is too huge a category. Burn notice.

Reality: All of survivor, TAR, Deadliest Catch, SurvivoranvsWild.

Comedy: B99, Community, Parks, Psych, HIMYM, Seinfeld, etc.

Animated: Adventure Time, some of Regular Show, Metalocalypse, Simpsons, I've seen a decent bit of most of Seth MacFarlane's stable of mostly garbage, Avatar (both), the show that shall not be named, Phineas and Ferb etc.

I have Netflix and the internet. Do your worst.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 10, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

MrAristocrates posted:

Oh god what am I walking into

Just another one of those shows I always see listed on Amazon Prime but have no clue what it is. Now I'll know!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Primeval is real bad. I won't say more so MrA can remain unspoiled.

And House of Lies? You're on. At least it has an awesome cast so I know even if it's complete poo poo it's being delivered by good people.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If anyone wants advice on how to make their reviews informative and entertaining, I suggest watching every episode at least twice, once cold (you can take notes if you want), then again a second time noting what did and didn't work and what you did or didn't laugh at, what parts amused you and didn't, if the plots were congruent, if there was a tonal throughline through the episode, etc

Also my suggestion is to start writing your review fresh out of the episode, if you can only watch an episode and not at least start drafting up your review just wait until you have the time to do both, you'll immediately lose the thread on the more salient points you want to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ: The Following Season 2 Episode 9

Also the first person to complete a review and request a second one will get a very special assignment. And by that I mean a good one.

• Locked thread