Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm ready to :toxx: this up! Shows that I've watched the most episodes of include:

Drama: West Wing, House, 24, Castle, Breaking Bad

Sci-Fi: Star Trek TNG, Stargate SG-1, Buffy, X-Files, Fringe, BSG, Heroes

Comedy: South Park, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, 30 Rock, Boston Legal, Family Guy

edit: You should probably provide a few suggestions since it's very likely that we've seen some episodes of many shows.

edit2: It occurred to me that it would be easier for me to list long-running shows that I don't really know anything about other than pop culture references:
Smallville
NCIS
Two and a Half Men
Supernatural
The Game
NCIS: Los Angeles
The Middle
Vampire Diaries
The Good Wife
One Tree Hill
The Sopranos
The Wire

edit3: 2013-14 shows I haven't seen any of:
Betrayal
Resurrection
Once Upon A Time In Wonderland
Believe
Crisis
We Are Men
Friends with Better Lives
Mom
Star-Crossed
The Tomorrow People
The Goldbergs
Lucky 7
Killer Women
The Originals
About a Boy
Growing Up Fisher
Back in the Game
Super Fun Night
The 100
Ironside
Chicago PD
The Assets
Black Box
The Crazy Ones
The Millers
Bad Teacher
Rake
Surviving Jack
Welcome to the Family
Sean Saves the World
Michael J Fox Show
Enlisted

edit4: I would say I've watched too much TV in my life if I didn't think it wasn't a problem :v:

edit5: 2012-13 shows I haven't seen any of:
Red Widow
Crossing Lines
Mistresses
Partners
Carrie Diaries
Mob Doctor
Goodwin Games
Siberia
Vegas
Golden Boy
Brooklyn DA
Emily Owens, M.D.
Go On
New Normal
The Neighbors
Family Tools
Nashville
The Lookout
How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)
Arrow
Animal Practice
Guys with Kids
Chicago Fire
Camp
Motive
Beauty & the Beast
1600 Penn
Do No Harm
Save Me
Malibu Country
Made in Jersey
The Following

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Contingent on the acceptance of the :toxx: above

Josh Lyman: Dads Season 1 Episode 7
I have, unfortunately, seen the first 15 episodes of Dads. I edited my post with shows that you can pick from.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 10, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Josh Lyman: Smallville Season 4 Episode 8 (I'm sorry.)
Background
This show debuted at the end of high school/beginning of college. I might have seen an episode here and there while in someone else's dorm room, but I never watched it myself. My understanding is that the show was okay in its early years but CW ran it into the ground and then some.

Live Reaction
-Kristin Kreuk in 1604 France? :confused:
-Kreuk and 2 others are burned at the stake for witchcraft, then modern day Lana Lang buys the witch's spellbook from eBay. I expect Lana to invoke a spell, causing herself to be possessed by the witch and discover that she's a descendant.
-Annnd there it is, all before the credits.
-The witch is trying to get hair from 2 virgins. In an early scene, she takes a hair from Lois Lane only to dismiss it as non-virginal and grey. The acting is atrocious.
-This time we have innuendo-laden dialogue as the witch tries to get hair from Clark. I assume this will backfire as he's not human.
-Lex Luthor's hands don't match up at all to the music he's playing on the piano. In any case, the witch sees an illuminated manuscript with a hidden map and vanishes it away, then casts a spell on Lex that would have him play the piano forever.
-Kruek makes Lois Lane and Chloe drink wine and causes them to be possessed by her 2 friends that were also burned at the stake.
-The B plot is Chloe's birthday party, which is being held in a barn, best as I can tell. The 3 witches take a break from their quest for the stones that Lex's map lead to in order to turn things into an underwear party.
-Clark Kent dances like a potato.
-Lana witch strips Clark of his powers.
-In literally the next scene, Clark uses his laser eyes and destroys the spellbook, releasing Lana, Lois, and Chloe from possession. So much for that.

Summary
As far as body swap/possession stories go, it's not that this was bad as much as it was aggressively mediocre in that low-budget CW kind of way. I didn't want to turn it off, but it was impossible to keep focus. I suspect that if I were a fan of the series, I'd be very upset at this waste of an episode, which I assume was done for Halloween given the episode number. The only real criticism I can make, aside from the shoddy plot, is the acting from the female leads while possessed was campy and awful.

NEXT!

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 10, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Josh Lyman, the episode I was saving for the first person is one that I know you've already seen. So you don't get it unfortunately. So I'll give you a unique assignment instead. You can pick any of the episodes already assigned to someone else and either pick the episode directly preceding or following it. Your choice! Please let us know what you're picking before you watch it.
Everyone seems to think Primeval is really bad. You assigned 304 but I'd like to go with the series finale, 506, for maximum :confused:, otherwise I'll do the subsequent episode, 305.

edit: v Hahaha I'm so excited for this poo poo!

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 10, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Josh Lyman: Primeval Season 5 Episode 6
Background
I don't know the premise of this show. The only thing I do know is what I glanced from Wikipedia while looking up which episode to watch: it's a British show on ITV and was cancelled after 5 season due to low ratings. This is the series finale, though I don't know if the showrunner had a chance to wrap things up. My guess is yes since British TV doesn't have fuckoff long seasons like we do in America.

Live Reaction
-Previously On Primeval...
-Why is there a T-Rex in London? Wait, portals are opening all over the world and dinosaurs are everywhere!
-Julian Bashir from Star Trek DS9 is in this?!
-There's something called the ark that... looks like the Fox News version of the inside of a fusion reactor.
-Episode starts with a guy regaining consciousness on what looks like the surface of Venus.
-OMG a monster from Star Wars with Predator vision!
-Julian Bashir is a bad guy and running the ark.
-Annnd an Irishman just jumped into the fusion reaction... oh, it's a portal to Venus-Earth.
-The command center for the ark looks even cheaper than Star Trek TOS.
-Irish and someone who looks like Billie Piper with bleached hair have traveled to Venus-Earth to save a guy named Connor.
-Venus-Earth is confirmed to actually be Earth!
-There's so much shakycam. I literally don't think I've seen a single stabilized shot.
-The "tech person" is a cute redhead :3:.
-Not Billie Piper just told Connor a secret to convince him to return to London seemingly that she's pregnant with his baby. But if Venus-Earth is also Earth, does that mean it's actually future Earth and London is present Earth? :psyduck:
-The techie redhead works for a politician-type and I think they're also in present Earth. He looks familiar but I can't quite place him.
-The ark is growing out of control, and Julian Bashir is going to redeem his character by sacrificing himself to run the self-destruct.
-The self-destruct appears to have failed and the anomaly is now the size of a building.
-In possibly the only smart thing I've seen so far, techie redhead takes off her heels as she and her politician boss attempt to escape from Star Wars monsters that presumably followed Irish, Not Billie Piper, and Connor back through the portal.
-Apparently, if you fuse the prototype anomaly with the one that has gotten out of control, that will shut it down because
-Everyone has arrived at techie redhead's office, which I guess is a lab where the prototype is?
-For an end of the world apocalypse scenario, I sure don't feel much tension.
-Irish is driving the prototype into the big anomaly when they could have just locked down the gas pedal and sent in the car. They're only about 100 yards away.
-Annnd Irish is actually completely fine. "How did you survive?" "I don't know :downs:."
-The secret that Not Billie Piper told Connor was that she was going to propose to him? Lame.
-I looked up the politician boss. It's Ben Miller, a comedian/actor who quit a PhD in physics. I saw him host an episode of BBC Horizon.
-OMG, the final scene Irish is confronted by another Irish, presumably from a dystopian future! He said, "Go back, you have to go back!" which is basically this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39BIdOP0D6E

Summary
This show is a ripoff of the Doctor Who spinoff Torchwood. It seems like the premise could be okay, investigating anomalies around London, but the acting, CGI, and plotting don't really have me interested in watching any more, and the show seems to have the potential to have REALLY bad episodes. I would describe the show as Torchwood with the quality of a Syfy movie, which despite not being the worst thing imaginable, is also something that nobody should watch.

One more and then I'm done. As bad as this was, I'm waiting for something truly awful. Maybe something from Glee (bailed after season 2), Grey's Anatomy (bailed after season 3), Dexter (bailed after 6 episodes), or True Blood (bailed after the pilot).

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 11, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

I had seen the ads for this show with Kelly Brook's boob window and the sleak outfits and the bad CGI. I had a rough idea in mind of what this show would be and it came out and shattered it in every conceivable way. I think that reviewing this as a serious sci-fi show is doing a disservice to the creators, when it is clearly a self-aware masterpiece that happens to feature music by Jesper Kyd.
As a follow-up to my task to watch to watch an episode preceding/following someone else's assignment, I decided to watch the Kelly Brook boob window episode in question, so...

Metal Hurlant Chronicles 1x05 "Master of Destiny"

The opening credits involve a bunch of scantily clad women killing people.

The episode opens with Joe Flanigan, best known as Major John Sheppard from Stargate Atlantis, as the co-pilot in a 2 person spacecraft, shooting down giant space tadpoles that explode on death. The tadpoles offer no resistance, and when they kill the fourth and final one, Joe Flanigan says something like, "My family gets the floating palace, and I get my well-deserved orgy." The camera then pans over to his co-pilot, who has sustained a fatal injury even though the ship was unattacked. As Joe Flanigan consoles him, the co-pilot offers these dying words. BTW, I could barely understand what anyone was saying, even though THE ENTIRE EPISODE IS ADR.

"On my last mission, I attacked the ogres of Gamma Toris and freed their slaves. Among them was a turtle sapiens. These people live on a giant computer planet called Gakka. They keep all the memories of all the planets and races and they know when and where each human being is gonna die."

"Where is this place?"

"It's very difficult to find. It rotates around the last sun of the Nicene."

Ignoring for a moment what has to be the worst delivery of a death speech ever caught on film and the fact that an orbiting planet should actually be easy to find, the co-pilot is wearing a fake black leather jacket and pants over a black t-shirt. I mean, wardrobe couldn't have given him a worse pilot outfit if they tried. Anyway, just look at that dialogue. Someone got paid to write that. Immediately after he dies, the shuttle makes a hyperspace jump to Earth. In other words, if Joe Flanigan had any sense of urgency, he could have saved his co-pilot.

Sup future Earth

We next see Joe sitting in a booth at a bar, receiving payment for the mission in the form of clear credit cards from not Agent Victoria Hand of Agents of Shield. Here is their exchange:

"Too bad your partner didn't make it back alive. But I'm sure you'll know what to do with his share. *smirk*"

"You're right, I do. I'd also like to know what I'd like to do with mine, but I guess you're too expensive for me."

"You, hunters. You should more than anyone that everything's got a price on this planet. But you should have also known at the minute that you saw me, that it was clear that I was never on the market for you."

*pan over to her walking away with a woman from the bar."

"Ouch."

Is Joe supposed to have gaydar or something? There's nothing about her that says she's only interested in women. Joe is then approached by two women, and we see a montage of him getting wasted. They try to steal his credit cards, but he stops them, breaking one of their arms in the process. He then gets in a fight with security, and after dispatching them, turns back to the women and says, "Next time you bitches wanna make some money, try using your mouth. It's less risky."

We next see Joe making a hyperspace jump to the computer planet his co-pilot mentioned. He laments that it's 2,000 light years away, "that's at the loving end of the universe", but a map shows it on the other side of the galaxy. The Milky Way galaxy is 100,000-120,000 light year across, and the universe is 93 billion light years across, so... yeah. He further laments, "Can't do a space jump. Nobody's done a space jump without dying." And then he does the jump and he's fine. He's immediately chased by 2 pirates shuttles, which he destroys and says, "And with the help of karma, I continue my journey."

We then get a voiceover montage by the turtle sapiens mentioned earlier, foretelling Joe's struggles to reach them as they're happening at screen. At one will, he will go "95 hours without ever sleeping, without eating, or drinking." That's oddly specific. Joe then wakes up on the computer planet and welcomed before an arena of turtle sapiens. He's asked to ask his question, "I wanna know when I'm gonna die."

The leader of the turtle sapiens exhibits a book in which they know when humans are going to die, but not all humans, just the ones that visit their planet. In this century, there are only 5: Joe has 6 years to live, as does "Scar, a beautiful female and professional thief... then 3 intergalactic policemen who they have only a quarter of an hour left." The turtle sapien smugly says, "We've waited a century for this moment."

And that's when this scene happens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flyBZjfAP5A

Kelly and Joe stand before the turtle sapien who says, "Yours is a true union. blah blah you will die in 6 years." True union eh?

Joe: "Well... 6 years is a long time."

Kelly: "Then let's live them passionately, my darling."

Turtle: "Brothers and sisters. As always, our prophecies have been fulfilled. The mercenary is in love with the escaped thief Scar."

Cut to a slow-mo sex scene between Joe and Kelly as the turtle continues his voice-over. "...where they will live for 6 years, abandoned to their love. A mixture of bestiality, spirituality, and insanity known only to homo sapiens." Bestiality? :wtc: They're also shown stealing "a fabulous treasure" from a cargo ship. Fast forward to shortly before they die, "They will realize what they called love was only the sweet mask of hate." :wtc: "Both now feel that the other smothering them... in the dead of night, each believing the other asleep, they will try to take what remains of the treasure." Even though it's daytime outside. A CGI daytime that they could have made nighttime. And then they shoot each other over a literal treasure chest.

"Isn't it tedious brothers, to never sleep and live a minimum of 30,000 years? Oh, how our life is boring."

I feel like the turtle sapien leader is the embodiment of the showrunner who just trolled us. This is the something awful I was looking for.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 11, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Occupation posted:

Twin Peaks Season 2 Episode 22, "Beyond Life and Death"
I couldn't get through the pilot of Twin Peaks so I'd like to do the series finale, but I already know the twist. :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Zero Hour Season 1 episode 8
Good god man, the United States does not torture!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Zero Hour and Cult. Now we're loving talking. Zero Hour's pilot was so goddamn bad.

Countdown to Hostages...
I watched all of Hostages, so I'm pretty sure I know how Stockholm syndrome works now.

• Locked thread