Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm in.
Last five shows I watched are Arrow, Person of Interest, Orphan Black, Warehouse 13, and NCIS to give an example of my range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation Season 14 Episode 21: Title: Kitty Orriginal Airdate (according to wikipedia): 4/30
As this is a backdoor pilot, any name bolding will be of cast members from the CSI Cyber Crimes Division
Recap:
After a woman is murdered, the police arrest her husband with a gun in his front seat. At the same time Special Agent Avery Ryan sees him and notes that if he's there, then her mark is there.

Pictured: Patricia Arquette, who plays Avery Ryan

After Ryan shows off her living lie detector skills, and her partner Clikk(spelling according to google) humiliates a member of CSI, it turns out her mark is not the husband, but instead his mistress Kitty, or, rather, the man who created her, as it turns out that Kitty is actually a computer program. She does grab at her jaw while she speaks, which is odd for a computer program.

Do not adjust your set.

It turns out that the reason she does this is that Kitty is based on a real person, Sarah.

In the end, Ryan uses Sarah to provoke the creep, and the FBI and LVPD team up and arrest him. Yay team.

Review:
So I started out disliking Ryan because she was portrayed as better than the entire cast of the flagship show, but as time went on that was toned down, and I warmed up to her. (Clikk can gently caress right off, though, if that's actually how his name is spelled).

The mystery was alright, I predicted that the guy was going to kill the blackmailer a scene and a half before it was revealed, but I didn't expect the Mistress to be fake... or real, afterwards. I liked Ryan describing the internet as an iceberg.

Beyond that, I liked Ted Danson in the episode, and the old guy was pretty cool too. The rest of the cast didn't stand out too much either way.

Pictured: The best part of the episode.
With its successful introduction of the main character of its spinoff, and a sufficiently interesting adventure, I give CSI, Season 14 Episode 21 a solid B+.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 11, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Oh, forgot to say, that was fun. Can I get another?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Falling Skies Season 3 Episode 6
Previously on Falling Skies: Photographs are ominous, a boy cried Yeerks that crawled into his ears, and Anne and Alexis are missing

Our Main Character, Tom, played by Noah Wyle, goes to see an alien who is possessing a human to talk to them. He asks them where Anne and Alexis are, but the aliens don't know. They say they'll look into it.

He argues with his two allies, Dan, and Marina, about looking for the two of them. He wants to go see this elusive Karen (who doesn't show up in this episode), who is like some evil president or something. Dan suggests waiting 24 hours, and if he doesn't hear anything, they can leave.

Marina takes Tom to the side to talk to him about the photographs, and after arguing for a bit about their mysterious alien backers, Tom's son Hal takes him hostage.

After Hal's girlfriend, Maggie shoots out his car, he holes up in a building with Tom.

Turns out the Yeerk from the opening crawled into Hal's ear, and is controlling him, for Karen. He'd been having nightmares about Karen, and told Maggie, but she didn't believe him. Pope, the leader of the Berserkers, is mad that the Mason Family drama is apparently again taking over the week's festivities. I can't say I disagree, if this is the standard weekly formula.

After opening negotiations turns into a shootout, Dan does what he should have done in the first place and sends the Berserkers away from a hostage situation. Hal's brother Ben suggests he can get in there and subdue Hal, but Dan says it's too risky. Maggie thinks she can do better, but Dan shoots her down too.

Hal's other brother, Matt, knows an unseen route to the room. Cut to the Berserkers in a bar, making bets on the outcome.

Put me down for both survive. Some guy says if he bets on both die, he'll kill them both himself. Pope tells the guy to go gently caress himself. I like Pope.

Hal tries to torture Tom, but Tom isn't having any of that. He apologizes for being a lovely father. This, combined with Maddie and Matt's pleas, distracts Hal just long enough for Ben to subdue him. Score one for lovely concentration. Then, the Yeerk forces Hal to shoot himself, nonfatally.

Cut back to Pope, who is doubling down on this by adding in a second bet. If Hal survives, as he has been reporting to Karen this whole time (and his Yeerk shot some dude), will he be charged with:

While he's rattling the crowd, Dan walks in. This cuts the sails right out of Pope's MC sails. Dan orders two glasses of Whiskey, and tells Pope that if anything happens to Hal due to these fuckwits, it's his rear end. Pope sends his #2 to guard the Masons. This was probably the best scene in the episode to me.

Turns out the X-ray can't see Hal's Yeerk, so they go back to the friendly aliens. They developed a way to kill the Yeerks, but it may not work on humans.

If there's a Yeerk in his head, the creatures in the amber stone he gave him will kill them. Otherwise, they'll just kill Hal. This works well enough as a trial, I'd say.

Tom debates his situation with Marina, and decides to go through with it. The Yeerk in Hal tries to convince Maggie that the procedure will kill him, but she's not an idiot.

Neither is her dad. The procedure is a horrifying procedure that I didn't have the stomach to sit through twice. The bugs crawled in through every orifice in his face and killed the Yeerk. Here's a still I found on the internet. Linked because I don't want to see it myself.

http://i.imgur.com/ZJYWdxP.jpg

In the end, Hal's okay, and the Masons leave to go find Anne and Alexis, leaving Marina in charge of the remaining heroes. Tom also gives Marina context for the ominous photographs. End episode.

So I liked this episode. It was an interesting idea, and I got just enough context to figure out what was going on if it was my first episode (which it was). Noah Wyle was entertaining as Tom, and Pope was the best part of the episode.
B+.

I'll take another, if you can give me one.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I got this.

MrAristocrates posted:

poo poo! I heard about this episode while it was happening and turned on the TV out of morbid curiosity. I caught the last ten minutes, at least. Might have to pick another one.

Season 4 Episode 7 Dynamic Duets

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Someone toss me an episode of something to watch tonight.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

CuwiKhons posted:

I still need a cartoon containing no ponies by the way.
Yin Yang Yo Season 1 ep 3, Beetlemania/Yin Yang Yuck

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Zaggitz posted:

PLEASE loving STOP MAKING ME WATCH EPISODES ABOUT PEDOPHILIA, MIND BREAKING AND ALSO NOW CHILD MURDER.

Thank you.

Okay.

Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go! Season 1 Episode 10: A Man Called Krinkle

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Esroc posted:

I'm happy to take another. But please, for the love of all that is good and just, don't give me anything like Gossip Girl. I'll seriously consider taking the week probate instead just to avoid that hell again.

Once Upon a Time Season 3 episode 6: Ariel

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Young Justice Season 1 Episode 16: Failsafe

The episode opens up with Hal Jordan, John Stewart, and Batman facing down an alien ship that just appeared.

It disintegrates them*, along with a bunch of other members of the Justice League (I caught Superman, Captain Marvel, and Martian Manhunter), beginning the alien invasion.

Red Tornado and Zatara tell Aqualad, Kid Flash, Superboy, Robin, Miss Martian and Artemis that they're our last hope when if the Justice League all die.

Cue the aliens killing Zatara, Flash, Canary, the Hawks, Tornado, Canary, Arrow, Icon, Atom, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Tornado, leaving the six of them Earth's last hope.

They head over to the Fortress of Solitude and disable an alien ship. They manage to take off a gun from said ship.

While installing the gun onto their ship, however, the Aliens come to attack. Artemis manages to hold off the aliens for a while.

Her victory is short lived, however, as she loses her life right after. Kid Flash swears to kill all xenos. Miss Martian breaks down.

They return to the Hall of Justice, which is being "protected" by the US Army (as effective as ever). Our heroes wipe out the invasions. They mistake Superboy for Superman.

In the rubble of the hall, Miss Martian finds Martian Manhunter, who has somehow survived the invasion. He can't remember how he survived and got here. He has something important to say. Kid Flash believes that the beams teleport their victims instead of killing them, based on :techno:.

While the heroes are teleporting themselves to safety, aliens kill the remaining soldiers, and Aqualad gives his life to get Manhunter into the teleporter.

(Above image mostly linked to show the disintegration in progress)

Our heroes decide to take the fight to the alien mothership, now residing in Smallville, and they give a dramatic speech because of course they do.

Manhunter and Miss Martian sneak in, and utilizing a fatal distraction by Superboy, so do Kid Flash and Robin.

The beam is actually a disintegration beam and not a teleporter, but they still plan on destroying the mothership.

They set a bomb in the core of the mothership, and it explodes. Miss Martian and Manhunter survive. Robin and Kid Flash do not. At least the mothership is destroyed, right? Wrong. Another mothership arrives. Miss Martian is planning to regroup so she can avenge her friends, but--PLOT TWIST--Manhunter punches her...

...shocking her awake. Turns out that this was a danger room simulation training exercise cooked up by Martian Manhunter. It was a Kobiyashi Maru scenario, where, no matter what happens, something would always get worse. They knew it was fake going in, except for the fact that, when Artemis died, Miss Martian broke down, and they couldn't wake her. J'onn had went back in, but with all the overwhelming emotions, he couldn't remember why he had come. It wasn't until everyone had died that he remembered what he was there for.

All this done, J'onn confides in Bruce that he is troubled, because Miss Martian may be the strongest telepath he ever met. She is, at the very least, much stronger than him.

Review:
Well, this was a really neat episode. I placed an asterisk where I had pegged it as a Danger Room simulation episode, but I couldn't figure out the other plot twist. I really liked the episode, and thought that the twist made sense upon my rewatch to actually summarize it for this post. Their reactions to the events before and after Artemis's are subtly different.

This was a great introduction to the show, and I'd love to see more.

B+

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Official Requests:
X-Men Evolution: Season 3 episode 8: Self-Possessed

Avatar: The Last Airbender: Season 1 Episode 11: The Great Divide

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
As per a deal I made in the TVIV IRC, Zaggitz gets to select an episode of a TV Show for me to review. If I fail to complete it in the week from his post, I get banned, as if it was my first review.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Neat. Faking It, Season 1 Episode 4: Know thy selfie

FreezingInferno posted:

Hopefully the next thing I review for you guys doesn't have a baby in it.

It won't. Power Rangers Wild Force episode 34: Forever Red

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Irish Joe posted:

I've got two hours free and Hulu+ if someone wants to request something. Bear in mind that if a show is good, I've probably seen it.

Power Rangers Super Megaforce episode 6: Spirit of the Tiger

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I'm ready for more. I hope the next review won't be as long because good lord.

Neat. I'll recommend a half hour show, so it should be half this long: Power Rangers Turbo episode 22: Trouble by the Slice.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Tsilkani posted:

I want something weird.

Sonic Underground Episode 8.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Saint Drogo posted:

This thread is great, bring it.

I'm familiar with the usual goon stuff and British comedy: Hannibal, Game of Thrones, Community, Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, Father Ted, Orphan Black, House, Misfits, Parks and Rec, Seinfeld, Breaking Bad.

Much obliged for whatever the weird poo poo fairy brings. :)

Let's try this again: Power Rangers Turbo episode 22: Trouble by the Slice.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The timing of the reviews justifies my Power Rangers suggestions. I was actually going to suggest Once A Ranger for Irish Joe but I wasn't sure whether it was on hulu+ I'm not that cruel.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I accept the blame.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ZDar Fan posted:

I'd like to take a crack at this. Some shows that I do watch are:

Parks and Recreation
Louie
Portlandia
Orphan Black
Hannibal
Mad Men
Doctor Who

Person of Interest Season 2 Episode 16: Relevance

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Zaggitz posted:

Allright it's the weekend and I'm down to do another one or two of these reviews!

http://i.imgur.com/h94xNab.jpg Here are the shows I follow.

Hit me with your best shot.

Kamen Rider Gaim Episode 19.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

IRC posted:

<Zaggitz> also dont reccomend toku shows people cant normally watch
<Zaggitz> try to stay western
Okay.

Kamen Rider Dragon Knight episode 25

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BarbarousBertha posted:

I have already watched this series. (The whole thing.) My kids loved it (they were pissed it was a one-off) and I enjoyed it.

Guess I should have added "Canadian" to the list of stuff I have seen.

Warehouse 13 Season 5 episode 4, Savage Seduction

e: Welp, beaten.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Zaggitz, I've been looking all over all weekend, and I cannot find The Head episode 7.
Asked my friends and none of them have it either. Could you assign me something else?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Game of Thrones Season 3 Episode 9: The Rains of Castamere

Well, I have never been so bored with an hour of television with as much death as this.

What I knew going in: Everyone and their mother loving loves this show. George RR Martin wrote the novels this was based on and likes killing people. Peter Dinklage can do no wrong. He's someone named Tyrion in this. There's someone named Joffrey. He's apparently a dick according to some url on tumblr. There's something called a Red Wedding that has people all in a frenzy. That's in this episode, which I realize near the end of the episode.

Okay, to get started, I did like the opening, even if it dragged on way too long. It was a nice setpiece for this.

Episode begins with a man trying to figure out a battle. Apparently it's a bad idea. The woman he asks for advice says to show them how it feels to lose someone they love.

He goes to meet Argus Filch to apologize. I immediately know he's not surviving the episode because he pissed off David Bradley. That's a bad idea. This scene goes too long while Filch just lists off the people he spurned to marry for love and then creeps on the woman he married instead.

Cut to a bunch of people planning an attack. Some guy in peasant clothes is really mad that the leader of the attacking party wants to launch a surprise attack. Leaderman shuts him down. The queen (I guess) wishes them well and I don't care.

Cut to two people in the snow. This doesn't matter for the rest of the episode, so I'm skipping it because I don't care.

Cut to a man and a girl. The man helps some guy with his cart, and knocks him out. The girl stops him from killing him.

Cut to a group of people. They talk about "wildlings" and then find shelter from a storm.

Cut to the "wildlings" who plan to steal a horse and kill the old man. One of them argues not to kill the old man but they overrule him. They begin to raid the town.

Cut back to man and girl. This is the scene where I got bored, and hope that something happens to get me at all interested. Hahaha nope. Man taunts girl, girl threatens to kill man. I lose interest.

Cut back to group of people. I decide I hate them all here. The "wildlings" sack the town, and almost catch them when a dumbass pokemon won't shut up.

Cut to a castle in the dark. Peasantclothes leaderman and a guy I will now call ninjamask kill the guards, until it looks like they're overwhelmed. They're not overwhelmed

There's a wedding. Argus Filch's daughter and some guy associated with dumbass who pissed off Argus Filch (I'm just gonna call him dumbass from now on).

One of the boys takes psychic control of a wolf and kill the "wildlings" when they try to kill the idiot who said don't kill the old man.

Cut to queen lady. Turns out ninjamask peasantclothes and leaderman weren't overwhelmed. Shocker.

Cut to the wedding reception. Some guy doesn't drink, and Filch says the newlyweds need to gently caress, so most of the partygoers go to watch them gently caress because :confused:. The ones who stay are dumbass and everyone associated with him. Also Filch and a few people associated with him. Turns out dumbass's wife is pregnant. She wants to name the kid "Eddard." The kid named Eddard woulda been bullied in school. Ominous music plays.

Turns out, shocker, Filch has decided to kill everyone associated with dumbass. Outside, man and girl get to the castle (girl is related to dumbass I guess). She sees the slaughter and tries to get to a horse, only to get knocked out by man because she's being an idiot too. I guess dumbassery runs in the family.

Back inside, random guard comes up and stabs dumbass's wife in her stomach. Dumbass's mother pleads for his life, and takes Filch's wife as a hostage, Filch says gently caress you, gently caress her, and double gently caress him. Some guy working for the Lannisters kill dumbass. Momma dumbass kills Filch's wife, and stabs Filch lunges at Filch at least does something besides drop the knife and die like an idiot dies like an idiot.

End episode, and cue my sigh of relief.

This episode was really boring. If I had any context, I'd probably be more interested, but as it is, I had no reason to care for any of the idiots except liking their actors, and even that couldn't save Tonks and the kid from the Family of Blood two parter.

Worst of all, there was no Peter Dinklage.

Did this make me want to see the rest of the show? NOPE. Not in the slightest.

Would I recommend this to people? I would not. Partly because I don't like the show, partly because by the time someone comes to me for recommendations, odds are one of the millions of people they talked to first will have recommended it.

D-

(Apologies for the lack of images, imgur is down, and I didn't care enough to find images anyway)

Senerio fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 20, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Power Rangers Dino Thunder episode 19, Lost and Found in Translation

One of my unironic favorite episodes of Power Rangers.

Out of Power Rangers episodes I really want to see so this is it for Power Rangers.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Arivia posted:

Occupation taunted me into this. I normally post in TG, tell me if this is a faux pas as my first TV IV post.

Shows I've watched and like:
Law & Order
Star Trek (any of them)
Sex and the City
Community

The only thing I remotely paid attention to this season was Criminal Minds. I'm in Canada, so I might not have access to the same stuff as you on Netflix if it matters.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Episode 17: Turn, Turn, Turn

e:Beaten.

• Locked thread