Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I would also recommend going chronologically. I read most of these 8-10 years ago and was impressed at how Connelly develops Bosch's character with each story, how he ages and evolves over the course of the series. Bosch does not pop up full-blown in the 1st book, and one of the hooks for me was how he channels his own conflict into who/what he is. I also get a kick out of checking out the jazz players he likes, a little :tipshat: to Mr. Connelly for that. I am a bit surprised that more of Connelly's whodunnits have not been translated to movies.

On that note, I've been pretty uniformly disappointed that the books don't translate well to audio for me. Maybe it's my own quirk that I am not bothered by reading brutal fiction details nearly as much as listening to a reader describe them (over my car stereo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Your Sledgehammer posted:

Agreed totally, the larger story of Bosch's character development is what really impresses me about the series, even though the mysteries are pretty top notch nine times out of ten. Bosch is realistic in that he has some tendencies and character flaws that stick with him just like we all do, yet at the same time he changes as he gets older. Some of the later stories that I'm getting into now show a much more mature Bosch that wouldn't make some of the mistakes that he made early in his career. I'm also a bit surprised that more of Connelly's stuff hasn't made it to the silver screen. Have you caught the pilot of the Bosch TV series by chance? I'm curious as to how it turned out but I want to get caught up on the novels first.

I had no idea there was such a thing? What channel, etc?

Your Sledgehammer posted:

So I just finished The Lincoln Lawyer yesterday. I went into it thinking that I wouldn't like the Haller stories as much as the Bosch ones, but I was wrong. It's a refreshing change of pace and Connelly writes a pretty good court scene. Haller himself is the real hook, he's kind of a slimebag, but a lovable one that you root for the whole time. The only thing that sort of let me down was the climactic trial scene...there's nothing wrong with it necessarily, I just expected a few more twists out of it.

Agreed, I also enjoyed the change of pace, and the totally different way Bosch is portrayed from Haller's pov. is great. I was disappointed mainly by the casting of Matthew McConaughey in the movie version of Lincoln Lawyer; he was just totally wrong, starting with his soft Southern accent. I mean,wtf, it's L.A.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I am loving the time capsule element of these stories. Early 90's LA is a great setting for a series.

It is, he takes it from early 90's and the Rodney King riots, and all the ways that impacts the L.A.P.D., on into the early 2000's with a lot of flashback building. The descriptions of cutting-edge technology of the time gave me a chuckle.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The part in the sixth book where the detective has to explain to Harry what a web server is is particularly hilarious though. In a way this series is making me feel old because it's making me realize how long ago the nineties were.

The only thing I'm not liking is that sometimes the endings are a little contrived -- you can sometimes predict who the killer is going to be by looking at which secondary characters are getting boring and need to be written out.

Sounds like you are burning right through them. I have that tendency too, to pig out on something I really enjoy. :) Is he butting heads again with Chief Irving Irving in that one? The way that relationship builds over the series is impressive.

• Locked thread