Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Recruitment ends on the 31st, I want good bios and backstories over the crunch. That said newbies are welcome, just let me know that when you submit so I'm aware.

I will take the best 6 or if newer players want to pop their shadowrun cherry, the Best 4 and 2 slots reserved just for them. Submit anything you like, like the pic said, big city lawyers and street sams are par for the course in the city but I'm not gonna put a damper on your style if you like your magics or brain powered computers.

Recommended reading: The Rotten Apple: Manhattan sourcebook (4th Edition).

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
What kinda vibe are you looking for? Sneaky stealthy bastards? Big, loud, and proud trolls? Uncaring mercenaries who'll sell their nanna for two nuyen to rub together? The Hood street shaman who donates most their cash to the local soup kitchen and refuses to do wetwork? A-team or Leverage, or Army of Two? Etc, etc, etc.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Willow "Mirage" McLaren
Human Decker

Metatype C, Attributes C, Magic E, Skills B, Resources A

Sheet

It's Almost Like Starlight (Rough Draft)

Bio

Willow 'Mirage' McLaren was raised by her mother and father, accomplished shadowrunners in New York. Her father, Zion Languine, was a Bronx-born street samurai who cut a deal to get enough 'ware to make it up out of the slums. Her mother, Michelle McLaren, was the fifth daughter of a playboy Wall Street asshat with too much money and three alimonies who couldn't understand why his latest daughter wasn't okay with using her magic to make him insane piles of money on the stock market. Mirage never got the full story of how they met, but her birth wasn't enough to get them to quit their line of work. When she showed an aptitude with a cyberdeck at age eight, they even got her a DNI and started paying a hacker they knew to train her.

And Mirage came up with a religion just like everyone else, except that she found her deities neatly printed on colored slips of paper you could exchange for goods and services. When your parents are runners, Cash is King, and the bottom line really is the bottom line. New York is full of rich kids trying to rebel, organized crime turning profits, and anarchists trying to lash out at the system, and Willow knows them all: she takes their money and does their work, but zeros in her account are twice as meaningful as any prose written in a recruitment 'zine.

Her parents have moved on, found a place to retire in Montana, and now she rents a loft in midtown Manhattan (221B E 57th St, to be exact), almost as 'wared up as her father and trying to make rent and burn away free Friday nights on the dance floor. She's got a few friends, including a data dealer she knows from her youth who works for the Neo Anarchists now, a fixer who owns Minton's Trancehouse down on 52nd Street and passes her work, and Fortune, her street samurai booty call who supposedly has some people out in Seattle who want him dead.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 17, 2014

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Look at you being the first post. Umm I believe the players make the game and I exist to just provide the framework. That said I am also new to this GMing thing. If you want an idea of stuff I'd be amenable too, you know that whole pink mohawk/mirrorshades thing that comes up in the SR discussion threads. I'm definitely more on the mirrorshades side but honestly this game can be whatever you want it to be. Leverage owns though so I'd definitely like to see something in that vein.

Also when I say the game can be anything you want it to be, I do mean it. Also if said street shaman refuses to do wetwork and finds out he got used to enable it, he can feel free to whack the johnson that set it up if he feels so inclined. If you wanna ride to Zurich Orbital we can do this thing, if you wanna trainwreck in the subway we can do that too. And everything in between. That said hope you guys like working in shades of grey cause unless you guys are adamant about only doing certain jobs for certain reasons (again that can be a theme), I will offer you jobs that will require you to chip off a piece of your soul a bit and swallow your pride. Assuming you submit people with morals of course.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Lucky Shot

Elf Sammy with a minor in Face to come.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 12, 2014

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Interest post! I am familiar with Shadowrun but haven't played it since 2nd edition, and played 2nd edition poorly so I may need some periodic handholding as we go. I am thinking of going with a Rigger.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I bought a 36-pack of d6s for when I ever wanted to play Shadowrun.

I never did. :cry:

That said, I'd love to play this. I'm familiar with the... general setting, but I'll need some help with chargen.

E: I'll probably join #shadowrun when I get home so we can talk me through a character.

E2: I'm thinking Elf Shaman, but, y'know, classy.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 12, 2014

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

NP I'll be glad to help. If im not there, the regulars should be able to help. I am MandozerTheGreat on irc.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Love Shadowrun, haven't had a chance to play 5th edition yet.

Torn between trying a mage/mystic adept and an overwatch/assassin type.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I think I got something for this. Haven't played SR since 2nd edition so I need to bone up on the rules.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Everytime I've tried to play SR it's collapsed into a black hole and died! I'll get a character together, looking forward to this. I'm a system newb but I've done the character creation a couple times now, think I've got that part down

ABCCE Means pick a C priority twice, and no D priority I take it?

Hairy Right Hook fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 12, 2014

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Jawdins posted:

Everytime I've tried to play SR it's collapsed into a black hole and died! I'll get a character together, looking forward to this. I'm a system newb but I've done the character creation a couple times now, think I've got that part down

ABCCE Means pick a C priority twice, and no D priority I take it?

C

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Cool, I am going to rework my pistol adept from the dead "First Day" game into a more seasoned country cop, headed to the big city for vengeance. And to make some money, them sumbitches at LoneStar pay somethin shameful.

Is your idea that we all are an existing team or a bunch of randoms thrown together by fate?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Isn't NYC in SR patrolled by NYPD inc? I think its one of the places Lonestar or Knight Errant hasn't made any headway.

(:goonsay:)

Anyways, I'll see what I can make, now that i've mostly convinced myself to start relearning SR.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ronwayne posted:

Isn't NYC in SR patrolled by NYPD inc? I think its one of the places Lonestar or Knight Errant hasn't made any headway.

Anyways, I'll see what I can make, now that i've mostly convinced myself to start relearning SR.

c

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I'm interested. I've never actually played Shadowrun, except for the videogames, but I'm a big cyberpunk fan thanks to CP2020 and William Gibson. Let me see if i can find a book and flip through some character options to see what's what.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Currently working on a Troll Street Samurai. Using the pregen someone made in the Shadowrun 5e thread as a basis. Going to punch things, and when that doesn't work then shoot them for less damage.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Ronwayne posted:

Exactly, which is old Red ins't exactly here for work. His bosses think he is on an extended fishing trip on the Gulf.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
-app withdrawn-

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 17, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Ryan "Red" Collins

Red posted:

Kin is Kin. Even when you'ed rather have nothing to do with the rotten son of a bitch. Kin is Kin.

Last time I saw my good fer nothin brother was 'bout 8 years a go. I came home, alone much to my dismay, from a date with one of the cuter dispatch girls from the station, to find that sumbitch brother behind the wheel of my truck. He was tryin to affix some cheap rear end maglock pass to the damm thing in a piss poor attempt to steal it. Pretty much everything Charlie did was piss poor I am sad to say.

Lookin back, I cant rightly say when specificity he went wrong. I discovered my gifts when I was 'bout 11 and Charlie was 16. He took it as well as one could expect a boy of that age to, which is not well at all. We went from bosom buddies to mortal enemies just like that. It was a rotten thing to do to a kid brother, but with the wisdom of age I do think I understand a little of what he was feelin. But back then I was just hurt by his rejection and hurt by his increasingly scandalous and downright criminal behavior. In due time he got into more and more trouble with the laws and Daddy could talk nor beat any sense into him so he up and threw him out of the house. he moved in with some other ne'er-do-wells and dove right into a life of petty crime. It wanst long before he got into the dope and that foul stuff robbed him of any sense and decency he had left.

The first time he tried breaking into Mamma's house, Dadday was a few years gone at this point, I happen to be there for a visit. I saw through his lies and had to kick his rear end all up and down our street to try and impart on him the error of his ways. It about broke Mamma's heart. In any case, he never tried that again and in due time Mamma passed and with little to hold me at home I requested and was granted a transfer to the main office in Lexington. I had been with Lonestar for bout 7 years at this point, they recruited me right outa highschool into the Fugitive Retrieval Division. Not to brag on myself too much, but I allways though I was damm good at my job. That opinion didn't seem to be a common one, as I was time and time again passed over for promotion. I suspect that part of the reason I was my rather lengthy "Shots fired in the Course of Duty" record. Now, don't get the idea that I like to shoot people. I'll do what has to be done and if a man pulls on me I'll put him down, plain as day. But it always seemed odd to me that a man of my gifts and training would be put in a job where "bring um back alive" was such a issue.

But I digress. Back to my last encounter with Charley. I pulled that rascal outta my truck and gave him a bit of a thrashing, just to sober him up a little, mind you. I tried to talk to him like a brother, to reason with him. Told him we was kin and I would do what I could to get him back on track, if he would give up the stealing and the dope. He didn a say a thing, just looked at me. Then that dumb fuckin sumbitch reached under his jacked and pulled on me, a cheap little nip revolver. Now, like I said, despite being a low down varmint, he was kin, so I took a moment on my aim and shot the gun right outta his hand. The cheap thing shattered and I suspect from the way he yelped his hand got good an peppered with shards. I called out to him but he just ran off into the night, cussin my name. I never saw him after that. Sure, every one and a while I pulled a few strings and looked up his file, he was always into some petty nonsense or another, but nothing serious enough to get hisself locked up for long. Then, bout 2 years ago, his file stopped growing. I did some looking around Lexington and back home, but no one seemed to have any idea where he went. Now, I admit, I shoulda been a bit more active in lookin for him, but things at work were pretty busy and well, his rejection of my offer did hurt a little.

So like I said, after our little shoot out, I didn't hear nothing from him, until three weeks ago. I was home one Saturday, just drinkin a bit of rye and sitting on my pouch when I get a call on my comm. I pick up and it's some lady. She is talkin real fast and I gotta get here to slow down. She tells me her name is (GM Choice) and she is Charlie's wife. Then she goes to tell me that Charlie has got him self killed and the bastard who's done it's named (GM Choice) and he is livin in New York City. I tell her to slow the hell down and give me some more details but she just says that that bastard is after her now and to get the hell up there and help, then she hangs up. I try and give her a call back but it just rings and rings.

I took my com into work and got one of the decker boys to look at it ta see if he could give me any details about the call. He said it did come from New York City but was from a cheap old com, the kind ya buy for some shady dealing and then toss.

Well, I went home that night and did some thinkin. There was no love lost between Charlie an me and who the hell knows bout this wife of his. But like I said, Kin is Kin. So the next day I took all my vacation, two damm months I had been saving for a fishing trip, and headed to the big city. Got here about a week ago, found some lodgin above a bar underneath some bridge. For how poor this neighborhood seems, it's damm expensive, a room for two months cost me bout all my savings. I aint got much at all to go on, other then some names and a bit of knowledge of my poor late brothers bad habits.

So yes ma'am, that is a very very long winded way of sayin, yes, I would like an other drink.

Red is a Lonestar cop who is in the city to find his brother's killer and protect his sister-in-law, assuming she is still alive. All he has are his wits and an old coworker who is now a beat cop with the NYPD. He has a room above a bar, the Bistro Illegal, which is a divey little spot under the Williamstown bridge, in the Pit. In the short time here he has managed to win the affections of the owner and bartender, who is using what contacts she has to help in his search. She also keeps some good sippin whisky in stock for him, as he usually needs it's soothing properties when he returns home in defeat.

Contacts:

Mick O'Shey, Human NYPD Beat Cop
Connection: 2 Loyalty: 3
"Ol Mick and me started at Lonestar at the same time and used a grab a drink or three after work. He is a good 'ol boy and I was sad as hell to see him go. We stayed in touch a bit and I was real glad to know him when this New York mess came up.

Ugly Sally, Ork Bar Owner
Connection: 4 Loyalty: 3
"When I got off the train, green as could be, I just wandered around for a bit to get the lay of the land. I passed by her bar right as I was feelin a powerful thirst. Her and me got to talkin and after hearing my sad tale she offered to rent me the room upstairs. I admit the price seemed a mite steep but after lookin around at the going rates I decided to take it. I spend most of my time here jawin with her when I'm not out followin up leads. I suspect she is a little sweet on me, on account of her offerin so much help hunting down Charlie's killer. She seems to know most every junky and deadbeat in town, which is surprising for such a fine lady as her. In any case, she is a hell of a classy lady and pours with a heavy hand. A fella might be able to over look that tusk a hers some day."

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 13, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I'm down for this. Never done anything involving Shadowrun at all.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Human {semi-literal}Sammy bodyguard in the works. Expect gratuitous references to honour/Bushido/etc.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I've basically avoided Shadowrun since 5th came out, mostly because I didn't want to spend all of that money all over again. Is it the same kind of thing were if I don't have 20d6 for whatever I say is my cool schtick then I'm a weakling?

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Swags posted:

I've basically avoided Shadowrun since 5th came out, mostly because I didn't want to spend all of that money all over again. Is it the same kind of thing were if I don't have 20d6 for whatever I say is my cool schtick then I'm a weakling?

Eh, not as much from what I've read. I'll confess I have limited play experience, but with the introduction of limits{a very weak glass ceiling} there's a little more emphasis on building broad rather than single-mindedly powerful. And of course power curve is based largely on one's peers and GM.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Sounds like fun. I'm gonna roll up a hot-poo poo mage-for-hire.

Christopher "King" James

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Gilliam "Giltleaf" Crownrock
Elf Shaman Magician

(source)

I've always been aware of the spirits. The Winds guided me and Mary, my older sister, through the Manhattan Underground when we were runaways. The Earths hid us from dangerous eyes and Water swept away the Rats when we were cornered. When we finally climbed out, we survived because I listened to the Beasts and led us through Central Park. Mary found herself in a squat center. I stayed roaming the streets following the sound of the spirits' whispers.

Man took Mary away from me when I was fifteen. The human Frank Stewart stole her away, thought meta were beautiful and she was the top. He was rich, full of augments, up-and-comer for a corporation. She didn't know better. They moved to Soho and had a son. I'll get to him.

Fire is where they are now. The Fires and I disagree on the details, but from what I heard a runner was sent to eliminate Frank and my sister, rest her soul, stood in a bullet's path. Then Frank killed his assassin and the place went up from a cortex bomb.

... Sorry, my English isn't too good. Just let me find the words.

Thank the spirits Jerry was with me. He was still young, almost struck dumb by the news. He's all I have left of her, which is why I can say he's a terrible disappointment. I didn't break myself to set Mary free just so her stupid boy can ride the system. He thinks he can get by serving tea at the Lucky Star, he has another thing coming.

When he came into my custody, I found myself losing crazy nuyen. Moo Cow was asking double rent for my condo, and I tried to get a decent memorial for Mary that ended up hogtying me. I just wanted to say goodbye, so Moo Cow showed me how.

Ouija board, some old world deck that gets possessed by spirits. I had a very enlightening talk with Mary, how she feels, how she wants to be remembered. Then I moved the talk to my situation: I was broke, working a dead-end clerk job with two mouths to feed, more lost than I ever felt on the street. What do I do, I asked.

"W-I-N-D." Let the winds blow at my back, let the waters steer me, let the earth bring me shelter, join with the Beasts and use Man to hold me high. Embrace the spirits and run for my life. The next time I went underground, after something like 25 years, the spirits guided Dom to me as a welcome back gift. If running's what they want, a runner's what they'll get.

A: 46/10 Skill
B: Elf (6)
C: 16 Attributes
C: Magic 3, 5 spells
E: 6,000¥

pre:
BOD 4  AGI 2  REA 2  STR 2
WIL 5  LOG 2  INT 4  CHA 6
EDG 4  MAG 6  ESS 6

Armor: 9
Initiative: 6
Astral Initiative: 8
Inherent Limits
  Mental: 5
  Physical: 4
  Social: 8
Condition Monitor Boxes
  Physical: 12
  Stun:     11
  Overflow: 3

Street Cred:      4
Notoriety:        0
Public Awareness: 0

Elf Racial: Low-Light Vision
pre:
Qualities
Positive (49)
  Astral Chameleon        (10)
  Focused Concentration 3 (12)
  Guts                    (10)
  Home Ground             (10)
    Astral Acclimation 
  Spirit Affinity         (7)
Negative (14)
  Dependent          (6)
    Zale, his Nephew
  Uneducated         (8)

Skills (46/10)
Acting    4
Influence 4
Stealth   2

Perception 3
Biotech
  Medicine 2
Combat
  Clubs 2 (Staff)
Conjuring
  Banishing 3 (Beasts)
  Binding   3 (Air)
  Summoning 6 (Air)
Enchanting
  Artificing    2
  Disenchanting 2
Firearms
  Pistols  3
Sorcery
  Countercasting      1
  Ritual Spellcasting 2
  Spellcasting        4
Astral Combat 6
Intimidation  2 (Staredown)

Knowledge/Languages (14)
Street
  Underground          2
  Central Park         2
  Chinatown            2
  Chinatown Enchanters 2
  Local Summoners      2
Language
  Speretheil N
  English    1
  Mandarin   3
pre:
Known Spells
Combat
  Acid Stream
  Stunball
Health
  Oxegenate
Illusion
  Increase Reflex
Ritual
  Watcher
pre:
Resources (106,000¥)
Lifestyle
  Middle, one Dependent (5,000¥ +%20/month)

Gear (10875¥)
Ares Light Fire 70       (200¥)
  Smartgun (Interior)    (400¥)
    Thermographic Vision (500¥)
  Imaging Scope (Top)    (300¥)
    Flare Compensation   (250¥)
    Vision Magnification (250¥)
  Quick-draw holster     (175¥)
Ares Light Fire 70       (200¥)
  Smartgun (Interior)    (400¥)
  Imaging Scope (Top)    (300¥)
    Flare Compensation   (250¥)
    Vision Magnification (250¥)
  Quick-draw holster     (175¥)
  o Regular (10)         (200¥)
  o Gel rounds (5)       (125¥)
  o Flechette rounds (5) (325¥)
Clothing                 (1475¥)
Urban Explorer Jumpsuit  (650¥)
  Chemical Protection 6  (1500¥)
Glasses 4                (400¥)
  Image Link             (25¥)
  Vision Enhancement 2   (1000¥)
  Flare Compensation     (250¥)

Slap Patches (4000¥)
Stim patches 3 (10) (1500¥)
Trauma patches (5)  (2500¥)

Magical Equipment (62000¥)
Magical Lodge 10        (5000¥)
Weapon Focus (Staff) 5  (3500¥)
Summoning Air Focus 5   (20000¥)
Increase Reflex Focus 6 (24000¥)
Spell Formula:
  Lightning Bolt        (2000¥)
  Blast                 (500¥)
  Clairvoyance          (500¥)
  Heal                  (500¥)
  Mass Agony            (1000¥)
Foci Formula:
  Summoning Beasts 5    (5000¥)
Reagents (100 dram)     (2000¥)

Vehicles (9000¥)
Thundercloud Contrail (8500¥)
  Manual operation    (500¥)

Intangibles (10500¥)
Fake ID 3 (7500¥) "Todd Samwise"
  Firearms License 3         (600¥)
  Concealed Firearm Permit 3 (600¥)
  Magic Practice License 3   (600¥)
  - Stunball License 3       (600¥)
  - Acid Stream License 3    (600¥)

Starting Nuyen
5000 + (4d6 x 100)¥
Contacts: 21 K
Jerry "Zale" Stewart
Nephew/Bartender
5L, 3C

My lazy nephew. He pours tea at the Lucky Star 99, so when he overhears gossip it comes back to me. Otherwise he's useless for anything but a reminder. He's taken to technology a lot freer than I have, but he's also brewing potions in his room with his paychecks. If he's ever going to hear the spirits the way I do, that's the key.

"Moo Cow" Mu-Yong Qiu
Chinatown Talismonger
2L, 4C

The owner of that magic shop Gold Drops, and landlord for my apartment. He's only as friendly as his wallet is fat (especially with me), but if I have a need he can fill it. No tenant discounts, unfortunately.

"Dom"
Elf Mr. Johnson
1L, 6C

It either stands for Domination, Dominion, or Chrome-Dome. He has a bald cyberskull cap and a nice suit. He's probably spoken twenty words to me; everything else is typed out for my run info. I'm sure he keeps tabs on a scary amount of the city, but running pays.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 17, 2014

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I'm interested. I've never actually played Shadowrun, except for the videogames, but I'm a big cyberpunk fan thanks to CP2020 and William Gibson. Let me see if i can find a book and flip through some character options to see what's what.

Hi CP2020 buddy, swing by IRC or PM me if you got platinum. I can probably help you out in the whole shadowrun chargenning thing.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
(Using Pastebin until I can find a decently readable online character sheet)

Eddie Kim, AKA "Cashius Pay"

(EDIT: Turns out "Nguyen" is not a Korean surname. Whoopsie.)

(Not pictured: The chromiest mirrored sunglasses ever crafted by human hands)

Background:

Eddie comes from money. Big money. His parents were high-ranking execs for Shiawase, and he had a nice, big home in one of their North American arcologies. Every day, he'd go out and party with his friends, stumbling home at 1 AM after a night of knocking back grape juice and snorting Pixie Stix off the backs of hookers. However, all that changed one night when he was but ten years old. He had planned to relax with a root beer and a peanut butter sandwich, but what he found as he entered his home were the lifeless bodies of his parents. It was obvious, even to young Edwin, that his parents were not merely the victims of some everyday murder, but had been methodically executed. It may have been the Pixie Stix making him paranoid, but he was certain that Shiawase planned to kill him, too. He fled the arcology that night, never to return. Luckily, as the child of corporate executives, he was quite experienced with lying, cheating, and stealing to get ahead, and managed to stay alive long enough to reach adulthood. His saved-up allowance, totally nearly a million nuyen, certainly helped. By the age of eighteen, he had become fairly accomplished as a salesman, dealing black market candy to the public school kids. Using his sizable savings, he worked his way through college, even going to law school, all the better to pervert its intent to suit his needs. He was already established under his false identity of "Marcus Hyun", a precaution he'd taken to avoid anyone who might be looking for him. He never did find out if Shiawase wanted him dead, but he wasn't taking any chances. He only got his law degree recently, and rather than get a job working for a corp, he decided to continue laying low, and has chosen to become a Shadowrunner. His opulence certainly makes him stand out, from his finely-tailored suits to his luxury sedan. He'd likely have more trouble if he didn't wear a somewhat unsettling number of sensory devices on his person at all times, and carry several powerful handguns. It's a good thing he's well-armed, too, because his parents, foreseeing that he would follow in their footsteps as an executive, had prenatal gene therapy performed on him to give him immense natural charm. However, this came at the expense of his muscles and vitality, leaving him as wan and frail as the high nobility of Europe from many centuries past. Were he still part of Shiawase, he'd have little to fear, but as a Shadowrunner, he knows he'll need to keep a fair amount of muscle between him and trouble. Fortunately, his talent for talking his way out of trouble is nothing to be sneezed at, his armor is as thick as his car's, and he's not a bad shot with the various pistols he keeps tucked away in his coat, so he's far from defenseless. His apartment is stocked with all the supplies necessary for disguises and forgery, a pair of hobbies Eddie's cultivated to help on Runs. He may not be much for violence, but he's quite good at fooling corporate saps into thinking he belongs wherever he is, making him useful when subtlety is required. He can't break locks, but he can scam his way past them. He figured it would be a good idea to be good at something other than conning Mr. Johnson into giving his team double what was initially offered. Eddie's willing to do just about anything for a quick buck, with only a few exceptions. He won't betray any of the other people he's on a Run with, he won't betray contacts, and he won't kill innocent people. Fortunately, the shortage of innocent people in the world today helps immensely with his third rule. Sadly, Eddie was never able to kick his Pixie Stix habit...

During his short career, he's made a few friends that have been willing to lend him favors. Johnathan "Johnny Five-Aces" Cunningham is a man who knows which way the wind is blowing, and can usually point Eddie in the direction of a job. He hosts a weekly poker game at a local bar, and somehow manages to always end up cleaned out, despite obviously cheating. The man who typically does the cleaning out is Mickey Swinson, a gun runner with an eye for quality. He especially likes tracking down custom jobs for clients, he loves a customer that knows exactly what they want. Eddie's Tailor, a crotchety old grouch named Oliver Winthrop, has offered him, his best customer, some help if he needs to find a particular outfit. Already, he managed to pull some strings to get Eddie in touch with a man selling the latest Heritage suits, in case the Runner needed to infiltrate a top-level corporate event. Eddie's also friends with a local physician, Dr. Samuel Roarke. They met in college, the pre-law and pre-med student getting along quite well. A couple years older than him, Sam graduated first and is already in his residency at Mount Sinai Hospital. However, he never liked the way corps do business, and moonlights as a street doc to provide affordable care to anyone, regardless of income or circumstance. Best of all, at least as far as Eddie's concerned, there's no questions asked. Eddie takes any car troubles to Tommy "Oil Slick" Rozetti, a solid mechanic infamous for his tendency to vanish along with any expensive cars in his shop. Eddie knows he can get Tommy's price down lower than most due to the mechanic's unpopularity, but he never leaves the man alone with his Concordat.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 14, 2014

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

~No devil on my shoulder!~
I've been interested in Shadowrun for a while but never been able to play it, I'll put up a fancy human street samurai tomorrow.

Scratch that, things got busy. Maybe next time :smith:

Good Username Here fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 20, 2014

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Intent to character - New player - Scrounging up rules and character sheets etc

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
A note before I post my character: to those of you with Shadowrun 5e questions or who want help, there's a few of us in the #shadowrun channel in SynIRC who can help!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Irene "Lucky Shot" Washington

New York is a very busy place.

You got the police cracking down on everything they can. The neo-anarchists are howling on the sidelines. The...underclasses are scratching by making a rough living, I'm told. The wageslaves put their nose to the grindstone, though let's be honest, if you're going to be good at it, this is the place to do it. Still though, it can be tough for a lady to get proper work! Well. Unless she's useful. A useful lady can have quite a nice life indeed. Sex, drugs, high fashion, classy living, and shooting people right in their face.

I'm a cleaner. A professional and important cleaner, for professional and important people. You'd be amazed at what sort of things need to be cleaned up. Sometimes I'm even hired to clean up in different megacorps, if you catch my drift And they pay exceptionally. I'm actually quite the busy lady; what can I say? Business is booming. My fixer helps. Jacobs has been in this biz since...well, since before he was actually officially in this biz. A clerk in the MCT has a lot of pull and meets a lot of people, even if they're not a major power player. Such a wonder; he knows just the right jobs that require my specialized touch, and I don't even need to negotiate with him. That much, at least. He's one of THE premiere fixers in New York.

See here's the thing. The living, it's nice. More then nice. Actually, if I can be honest, it's fantastic. Do you like the boots? Authentic Zoé, this season's biggest hit. Yesterday I was working out at a small, mostly private gym, alongside that actress we saw last night and that cute ork boy everyone thinks is going to be "discovered" soon - Ares brand, of course. My eyes? Yes, they are nice; got them touched up recently at a SpIn store. They were pure blue previously; I decided to give them a little touch of green. And let me tell you, there's this new artist Horizon's discovered, and I happened to get their album a bit early, so keep your eyes open for - oh, wait, where was I?

Oh, right, the living. Look, it's nice, but it's not the REAL nice thing. No, that's the excitement. Any good eye and hand with a gun could make it in the corporate world, but how many can make a regular career out of what I do? And the benefits! No chain of command. No meetings. No mandatory training checks. No paperwork. And if you think dancing at The Marquee followed by some calhots at Neon City and that handsome elf over there is nice, you've never spent a glorious hour gunning your way through a corporate security zone to snatch up some SotA nerd chips for a ten k payoff, only to escape through the old Underground and get out by the skin of your teeth when toxin-infested cannibals start hunting you. You're blanching! That's adorable. Trust me - that latter is the far better experience.

Yes, New York is a very busy place, and darling, for me, it's also a nice little slice of heaven.

~*~

Contacts:

Klaus Meyer - the son of Berlin anarchists, and "former" neo-anarchist himself, Klaus Meyer was exceptionally bright and became a street doc early on, patching up his neo-anarchist brethren. And then S-K lead the charge into Berlin, dividing the city in half and conquering the kiez he lived in. From there he went from street doc to college to actual doctor and ended up in S-K, despite hating the corp. On being transferred to NYC, he set up his own extraction into Spinrad Industries and never looked back. Despite working for a AA corp as bioware specialist, Meyer maintains connections in the neo-anarchist community and still moonlights as a street doc.

He and Irene once had a brief physical relationship.

Billy Goat Gruff - A handsome troll with a bizarre and inane sense of humor. Billy maintains connections through Chinatown and the Underground and works as an arms supplier and black marketeer. Billy also has connections with a few forgers to ensure access in and out of the city when he's not flying or sailing in a ship's worth of guns, and remains proudly unaffiliated with any group, corp, or cause.

Irene is a customer; nothing more.

Owen Jacobs - Mr Jacobs spent more then a decade working in the MDC, working his way up from a minor clerk to a full third party negotiator between the corporations. Along the way he saw countless examples of sin, debauchery, cruelty, and illegal activity. Finally, after one of many comparisons of his own salary to just how much money this degenerate activity could bring about, he had enough. He left his job for good. He wanted a piece of that pie. Since then, Jacobs has become a fixer - and a drat good one at that. With enough contacts to ensure a steady stream of jobs and an eye for talent, Jacobs is something of a wild card in Manhattan, offering independent Runners to corporations who want to operate without tipping a hand. In a city where most Runner crews are explicitly known to hold corporate allegiance, an actual third party with quality standards can hold quite a bit of value - something Jacobs knows and exploit ruthlessly.

While Owen doesn't get close to any of his employees, he and Irene have a positive working relationship.

Caroline "Care-bear" Yoshida - Caroline was a PR researcher in Japan, working for Shiawase, until she was relocated to Manhattan. After being involved with several major successes, she found herself getting just the right amount of attention for it to be unhealthy and was extracted by force into Horizon. During the extraction her at the time boyfriend turned out to be a security agent from Shiawase with orders to ensure the extraction failed, potentially at the cost of her life. This event has left her with a fair amount of ongoing trauma and no lost love for Shiawase (though she hardly loves Horizon for starting it). She has few connections and little to no social influence, but is very good when it comes to researching people, especially to improve their public persona. Has a big thing for harajuka style fashion and spends her weekends alternating between trying out new designs or drinking expensive wine with Irene and buzzing people with her scooter.

Irene and Caroline have been very close friends for years, and although Caroline doesn't know what Irene's actual job is, that remains the only real secret between the two, and Irene remains sharply protective of her.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 17, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

CisMaleTheSensitiv posted:

Hi CP2020 buddy, swing by IRC or PM me if you got platinum. I can probably help you out in the whole shadowrun chargenning thing.

Thanks. I will try to be on IRC tonight.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
How relevant is the Forbidden or Not Forbidden status of items going to be? The rules aren't really clear on it so I'm guessing this is a gamemaster to gamemaster kind of thing?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mirthless posted:

How relevant is the Forbidden or Not Forbidden status of items going to be? The rules aren't really clear on it so I'm guessing this is a gamemaster to gamemaster kind of thing?

Grab F rated gear at chargen, just don't get caught with it on you.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Grab F rated gear at chargen, just don't get caught with it on you.

How about weapon mounts on vehicles? There doesn't seem to be any specifics about hiding them or concealing them in the core book.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mirthless posted:

How about weapon mounts on vehicles? There doesn't seem to be any specifics about hiding them or concealing them in the core book.

I'll do it on a case by case basis. You can probably have machineguns hidden in the headlights of your bentley or even assault rifles integrated into your motorbike. Anything more serious is going to be obvious as poo poo and will fall under the usual guideline of "Don't get loving caught with the poo poo on you."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I'll do it on a case by case basis. You can probably have machineguns hidden in the headlights of your bentley or even assault rifles integrated into your motorbike. Anything more serious is going to be obvious as poo poo and will fall under the usual guideline of "Don't get loving caught with the poo poo on you."

Awesome, thanks. :)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
On that note, vehicles - I know you need a specific pass or them. Would that come with a certain Lifestyle or a certain level of fake SIN or a no-fake SIN or what?

...I kinda want a scooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I think it's just a fake SIN and a fake license if you're not a SINner

• Locked thread