Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Aspexia

In the interest of keeping this moving, Aspexia Withdraws (Standard) to I37 for her surprise round action.

"A bug, fascinating. Why didn't I bring specimen jars? I should, oh. Perhaps I will stand over here, excellent idea Raziya."

Aspexia backs away from the scorpion, fingering her crossbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:
Aspexia and Twig withdraw, Raziya readies an action.

Ghost Scorpion
No Action: 5 foot adjust to E35
Raziya's Ready Action goes off.
Full Attack: 2 claws and a sting vs. Raziya (AC)
2 claws and a sting: 3#1d20+2 20 17 13 3#1d3 3 1 1
One claw hits for 3 damage, the 2nd claw and the sting miss!

UP NEXT: Everyone!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Raziya
Readied Stabby: 1d20+4 17 1d6 6

Before the scorpion can get its claws into her, Raziya bends her front knee, and thrusts the blade forward and down, aiming for the joint between body and tail.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Tigi

Standard Longbow, Point Blank Shot w/o Precise Shot vs Scorpion AC: 1d20+5-4 4 1d8+1 2 Miss.

"Why did it have to be bugs? Snakes, fine, rats, fine, shambling undead, fine. Bugs, not not not fine."

Twig's agitation disrupts her shot, and she misses, her arrow sailing clear out of the tomb.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Akamur

"Just seems to be a standard Scorpion, it shouldn't prove to be too much of a problem, if you are not frightened at its experience. Here, let me show you." Stepping up to the bug, Akamur swings his hammer around and knocks it on the beast's head, hoping to draw its attention.

Power Attack: 1d20+3 8 2d6+7 11

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aspexia

Aspexia aims with her crossbow, squinting. She flinches at the last moment to avoid Akamur. "This is harder than hitting a target dummy..."

Shooting the Scorpion: 1d20-1 10

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:
Everyone but Raziya misses. With that in mind, the scorpion keeps up it's attack against the bard with both claws and his sting again!

Ghost Scorpion
Full-Round: Full Attack vs. Raziya (2 claws and a sting)
2 claws and a sting: 3#1d20+2 8 17 10 3#1d3 3 2 3
2nd claw hits and deals 2 damage.

UP NEXT: Everyone!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Akamur

"HEY YOU BIG UGLY BUG. IM RIGHT HERE, HIT ME" The dwarf screams at the scorpion.

Normal Attack: 1d20+7 18 2d6+4 7

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Tigi

R2 Longbow, Point Blank Shot w/o Precise Shot vs Scorpion AC: 1d20+5-4 5 1d8+1 8 Miss, again.

"Aaah"

Twig fires another shot into the ceiling.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
"Owowowowfuckow!" Raziya does her best to fence with the angry scorpion, but things are not working as well as she'd hoped.

Skipped Turn Stabby: 1d20+4 19 1d6 5

She's getting in hits, but the hits are happening to her as well. Shifting about a foot back, and looking a bit worse for wear, the bard starts focusing more on intercepting incoming blows than connecting with her own.

Fighting defensively now.

Defensive Stabby: 1d20+2 14 1d6 5

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aspexia

Aspexia aims for a bit longer this time. She squints hard before pulling the trigger, the bolt finding its mark. "Got it!"

Shoot the scorpion: 1d20-1 15 1d8 7

Arivia fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 19, 2014

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

You guys successfully stomp the scorpion beneath your collective boots, leaving the typical crunchy guts and squishy guts lying around.

Now you're left with a deep pit down into the earth with the smell of death wafting up, a single crampon and 5 feet of rope that disintegrates at your touch the only other objects in that are in the room.

Don't worry about tracking experience, I'll track that for the group and I'll let you know when you guys level up.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Tigi
Tigi calms down, then runs her hands over Raziya's wound. A soothing mist closing the gash and taking away the pain. She seems centred by it, then nods and goes to collect her damaged arrows a bit sheepishly.
Afterwards, she returns to the pit. A moment of peering at the darkness later, she starts to looks through her pack.

5.5 hp to Raziya, she's full and I have 3 first level spells remaining. Search my pack for a torch, cast light on it, cast spark on it, drop it in.

"Hrm, I know I packed a few of those. Ah yes, here we go."

The torch falls down more than 60 feet, revealing to all what Tigi had already seen, the shaft is smooth and fine stonecrafting, a difficult climb. She looks on with interest as the light descends, fingering her bow nervously.

Anias fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 19, 2014

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Your torch falls 80 feet before landing on the smooth floor beneath. You see what appears to be a body laying on the ground in front of a pair of doors. The walls down are finely worked stone, purposefully made smooth and seamless.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aspexia

Aspexia shrugs her pack off her shoulder, looking inside for something. "Uh oh. I forgot to bring rope. Did one of you?"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
"I've got some," Raz volunteers, reaching back before remembering she hoisted her pack off on Akamur, "But not enough to get us all the way to the bottom."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Akamur

"I have some, yes. Hopefully we can tie our ropes together and rappel down one by one. Make sure not to overload the rope"

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Tigi

Tie some ropes together, tie some knots in the ropes, secure it to the door, down into the shaft we go. 60' darkvision if relevant, is the torch still burning, and the light spell still functional?

"Let's hope we have more luck than that fellow. Aspexia when we get down there grab the torch, please."

Tigi heads down the rope into the shaft, unlimbering her shield and sword once she reaches the floor. When the rest of the group is with her, she sheaths the sword and stows the shield, readying her bow once more.

"What happened to you, I wonder." she asks the body.

Heal Check: 1d20+3 8 These rolls.

Anias fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 20, 2014

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

So using the standard Climb rules you have a knotted rope with a wall to brace yourselves on, that reduces the climb check to a 0, meaning everyone can get down without doing a crap down of climb checks.

Lower Shaft Room
Mirrored images of a warrior in side profile, facing inward, are carved on an ornate pair of stone doors in the west wall of this square room. The figure is depicted wearing padded armor, with a scarab-shaped shield on the arm facing the viewer, and a raised khopesh held aloft in the other. A crumpled humanoid body lies directly in front of the doors. A hint of decay hangs in the air, and a dried stain mars the stone floor under the body. A square shaft in the ceiling leads straight up into darkness.

Heal Check to get information on the dead body.
Taking a 20 on your perception check on the door does not reveal a trap, but it is locked.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
"I'm gonna get this door open, somebody check the skydiver over there and see if he's got anything good." Raziya, first sure that the door isn't trapped, takes a moment to cast Detect Magic. "I'm guessing this won't just be a matter of picking a lock."

Are there any differences between the two images, aside from them being mirrored?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aspexia

"Who knows, a dead man could have a carving on him or something...eww." Aspexia checks the body over for any artifacts or other items.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Tigi

Look at the ceiling.

"Cause of death, who knows. Cause of stench, death."

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

The door does not radiate with any magical auras.

Looking at the body you're unable to determine how old it is or what race it is, but the two broken legs give a fairly solid clue as to how this poor soul met his untimely demise.

On the corpse you find.
    *3 metal pitons
    *a usable hammer
    *2 vials of alchemist's fire that have remained miraculously unbroken

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aspexia

Aspexia tucks the alchemist's fire flasks away and hands the other stuff to Akamur. "You look the most handy of all of us."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Akamur

Tucking the Pitons and the hammer into his sack, Akamur gestures to the door.

"Anybody think that they can open that? We can break it down if necessary, but it would cause undue attention and take some time, I think. Nobody here knows how to pick a lock?"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aspexia

"I didn't get that far in wizard school," the tiefling smiles.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
Carefully, Raziya runs her fingers along the edges of the scarab shield on the door, on both sides, checking if either can be rotated, or removed, or play some part in a puzzle. "If he got in here with spelunking equipment, he's either been in here a very, very long time, or there's another entrance somewhere."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aspexia

"It looked like someone had chiseled away at the outer door, remember? Maybe he got in and died here, and then some tomb guardian or something put the door back up again. Could be something in here or some oddity of the Necropolis itself."

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

As you run your hands over the Scarab Shield, a bumpy part on the texture depresses, causing the door to open! This must have been what the dead man was trying to find, but because of his broken legs he couldn't reach the shield.

The Corridor
The walls of this ten-foot-wide corridor feature bas-relief carvings of great battles. Armies with spears and shields clash at the direction of generals, while other leaders direct troops from chariots that are ruthlessly overrunning their enemies. Engraved stone double doors stand at either end of the hallway.

On the western set of doors is another visage of Akhentepi, this time older and riding a chariot as he points back towards the eastern doors with a disapproving look upon his face.

Korlac fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 20, 2014

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Tigi

Stay where I am while Raziya checks for traps.

Tigi eyes the rope up into the world a moment longer, and tugs it once to be sure, then notches an arrow loosely.

"Well, with that cheery thought, let's get this next door open."

Anias fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 20, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
Advancing extremely slowly, Raziya alternates between searching with magic, and then advancing to get a closer look. "I suspect we have him to thank for there not being any traps up to this point, then."

Detect Magic four rounds first. If clear, repeatedly casting Sift to take 20 on a search to the edge of my range (24), then if that's clear, advancing to take 20 again with my own two eyes (29). Paying special attention for pressure plates or tripwires. Consider this 'standard operating procedure'.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Raziya detects a set of wide pressure plates immediately in front of the western door, occupying a 5-foot-by-10-foot area.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
"Heads-up, pressure plates in front of the door." Creeping closer, almost down on all fours, the archaeologist carefully examines the pressure plates. "You might wanna stand back, I'm gonna see if I can't disable them."

Popping another round of Arch Luck. 4 left.

Lucky Disable Device: 1d20+8 13

"...does anyone else hear rumbling?"

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

As Raziya attempts to disable one of the pressure plates her hand slips at inopportune time and she falls forward. Through pure instinct she holds her hand out to brace herself which accidentally sets off the trap!

Everyone hears a sudden intact of air all around and feels a small gust of wind followed by the sound of metal striking stone. The entire corridor fills with darts flying through various holes or cracks in the wall. Raziya shrieks out in pain as a large dart strikes her leg, causing it to bleed heavily.

Corridor Dart Trap: 1d20+12 20 1d8+1 3

After the darts stop flying through the corridor, you hear several clicks before everything turns silent again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
Half-limping, half-crawling away from the plate, Raziya groans in pain, gripping a hold of the dart. "gently caress. That wasn't supposed to happen." Pulling it out with a grunt, she steadies herself on her feet again. "Alright, well, we know what that does. Wonder how much ammunition it's got."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Akamur

"Lets find out, shall we?"

Grabbing the Scarab shield off of the dead guy, Akamur stands at the Eastern Door ant throws it onto the pressure plates, staying well clear of the darts, and hoping that there isn't anymore ammo.

Should have brought a 10 ft pole, knew I forgot something.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 20, 2014

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

Grabbing the Scarab shield off of the dead guy, Akamur stands at the Eastern Door ant throws it onto the pressure plates, staying well clear of the darts, and hoping that there isn't anymore ammo.

There isn't a Scarab Shield on the dead body. It's a feature of the stone door image. Pressing on a spot on the shield opened the door.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aspexia

"Good idea, Akamur!" Aspexia helps the dwarf pick up the corpse and throw it on the switch while they get behind cover.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Korlac posted:

There isn't a Scarab Shield on the dead body. It's a feature of the stone door image. Pressing on a spot on the shield opened the door.

Whoops, misread. Lets use the body instead then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Working together you pickup the dead body to toss it down the 35 foot hallway. Chunks of dead adventurer fall off in your hands and peaks the overall smell in the pit as the body hasn't been disturbed ever since the man first died.

Giving it a good heave-ho you toss it down the corridor. It lands perfectly on the pressure plates and breaks apart in disgusting chunks which are then further abused by another rainfall of large darts. Again at the end you hear the clicking sound.

• Locked thread