Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Akamur

"Sounds like its all out. Spot anything else we need to be worried about Raziya? No? Lets go then."

Working his way down the hallway, Akamur gingerly steps on the pressurepad, hoping that no darts shoot out, and then continues to move towards the door to see if its locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:
As you gingerly put your weight on the pressure pad it depresses and once again the corridor fills with darts!

Corridor Dart Trap: 1d20+12 27 1d8+1 4

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Raziya
"Oy! It clicked last time tooooo late." Raziya gives a sympathy wince, before dragging Akamur back away from the plate. "Stay here."

Taking my 10-foot pole from my pack, and, having seen where the darts come from this time, I stand in a good place to activate the plate with my pole without getting shot. I do this until pressing on the plate stops shooting darts.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Tigi

Stay where I am.

Eyeing the darts beginning to pile up in the corners, Tigi suppresses a grin when Raziya pulls out only 10' of pole.

"Our first ancient treasure. Genuine temple darts, by the pound apparently. Put that away and go find a couple of moderately heavy rocks, and we can sit here while this thing empties itself out. It's safe to walk up the plate, just not to stand near it when it fires."

Anias fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 21, 2014

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:
So because the stone cutting here was expertly done there aren't any real rocks of significant size just laying around. You can try to Mage Hand the various...pieces...of the dead adventurer, or send someone back up the rope to drop down some rocks into the hole.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is there any way I can lie on my stomach while I fiddle with the pressure plate for the +4 to AC for being prone? Or would that invoke a skill penalty?

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is there any way I can lie on my stomach while I fiddle with the pressure plate for the +4 to AC for being prone? Or would that invoke a skill penalty?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Tigi

Sure, explicitly spelling it out for ease. We send everyone up the rope one at a time with akamur in the lead, drop rocks, everyone back down the rope, throw rocks onto pressure plate, wait for darts to run out, curse every trap but at least we'll have rocks for the next one. If there are no rocks, bring down the dead scorpion.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
"Not sure we want to spend the next several hours trying to explain why we need person-size boulders and a pulley system to bring them down here." Still wincing from her last dart wound, Raziya approaches the plate again, then gets down on her stomach, hopefully below the line of fire. "Just be ready to patch me up if I take a dart in the neck or something."

Another Arch Luck! 3 left.

Lucky Disable Device (Take 2): 1d20+8 16

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

You fail to disable the trap, but not by enough to set it off thankfully!

We still going with the "Throw rocks at it" approach?

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Extrapolating on what was discussed in IRC.

Deciding to gather rocks from up above to try and exhaust the trap of recharges, Tigi begins climbing up the rope.

About halfway up you hearing another grinding sound and you see blades extend from the four corners of the pit near the top, slicing at the air and sparking against the walls. The rope slices cleanly off, leaving about 5 feet dangling from the crampon you nailed in at the top.

Tigi is going to fall 40 feet. You get the first 10 feet for free and you can make a DC 15 acrobatics check to negate another 10. After that it's 1d6 points for every 10 feet of the fall, so make your skill check so we see if you're taking 2d6 or 3d6 damage.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
"Hang on! I know I can do this, I'm just not used to such heavy stone. Don't wanna break this stuff, you know?" Really, really hoping she doesn't take another dart, Raziya keeps working on the pressure plate, and finds herself spurred into a kind of competence-by-way-of-fear.

Regular This Time: 1d20+7 27

Finally!

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Tigi

Acrobatics: 1d20+0 19 Oh sure orokos, now you're competent.
Falling Damage: 2d6 5
Spend an out of combat CLW for 5.5 hp. 2/4 level 1 spells remaining. Hurrah, xp.

Tigi just lies on the ground a moment, staring at the ceiling as the rope falls on her.

"So good news. They trapped the way out. No clear indication how it triggered, why it didn't trigger when we came down, or anything else, but I'm liking the plan of desecrate the tomb more all of a sudden, even if the priests won't like it."

She stands up, brushing her hands through her hair and recovering a bit, then takes a long hard look at the ceiling of the new room.

Anias fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 21, 2014

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Raziya crawls along the floor on her tummy, taking great care not to move an inch closer to the pressure plates than she absolutely has to. She takes the time to delicately disarm the trap, hoping the darts don't come flying out again to impale her. Just as Raziya successfully disarms the trap she leaps up to cheer in victory which is interrupted by the loud splat towards the east as Tigi lands hard on the floor, knocking the wind out of her.

The the rope gathers at the bottom of the floor as Tigi picks herself up and expresses her desire to draw funny faces on Akhentepi's mummy.

Foyer
A faded tapestry hangs on a wooden frame on the western wall of this chamber. Faded and delicate, the tapestry depicts a middle-aged man, accompanied by a woman and two children, with a small estate in the background. To either side of the tapestry are two small pedestals, upon which sit two dead and preserved animals. Stone double doors exit the chamber to the north, south, and east.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Tigi

If we don't have a preference coin bot says south. (22:13:47) Krysmbot: Anias, Tails

Tigi is drawn to the tapestry, and studies it a moment in silence before looking behind it expectantly. Finding nothing she looks it over once more, being careful not to disturb it.

"Interesting, I wonder if this is our late man and his family. I expect we'll want to tell the priests about this, maybe even take it with us when we leave."

She looks at the tapestry a moment longer, then turns toward the doors.

"You're sure they're not trapped Raz? If not, one's as good as the next."

Pausing a moment to look at Raziya, she moves toward the southern door.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
"Being perfectly honest, there's nothing in this place I wouldn't suspect of being at least slightly trapped." That being said, she does of course examine the room for whatever traps she can find, including on the pedestals and the door they came in through. "Hey, Asp, you wanna check out that tapestry? You probably have a better idea of who that is than I do."

Usual take 20 business. Floor and ceiling too.
Bardic Knowledge: History: 1d20+3 19

"Then again, doesn't he kinda look like the dude from that textbook?"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Akamur

Still rubbing his side where the darts got him, Akamur looks at the tapestry and the estate, trying to see if it is somewhere local that he would recognize.

Taking the 20 for a Knowledge:Local check regarding the estate and dudes in the tapestry

Well apparently I can't do that according to IRC, so Knowledge (Local): 1d20+3 8

"Hmm, I think that is..."

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 22, 2014

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Succeeded your Knowledge check.

The tapestry is a portrait of Akhentepi, his wife, and two children, depicted standing before their family home. You discern several symbols and hieroglyphs that suggest that Akhentepi's family befell some tragedy, possibly murder or sickness, and he was left widowed.

The tapestry also implies the family is probably interred somewhere else in this tomb and that Akhentepi was added several years later after his successful military career.

The animal on the pedestal are mummified cats, Akhentepi's former pets. They were strangled and then mummified so they could accompany their owner to the Boneyard and his soul's final destination.

The north and south doors are free of traps and appear to have simple locks on them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
"I'm not sure whether to be creeped out more by the obsessive mummy cat owner, or the almost complete lack of traps up to this point." Raziya comments, after communicating what she gets out of the tapestry to the others. "Anyways, the sooner we're away from those, uh, pets, the better. We said south, right?"

Let's get that south door open. Taking 20 if I can, for a total of 27. 28 if I take off my shield first.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Akamur

Nodding to the others, Akamur moves to the southern door.

Pausing and looking at the others before he pushes it open, he lays the flat of his hammer against the door, steps back, and with his arm extended pushes it open.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Chamber of Reflection
A massive mirror stretches across the southern wall of this chamber, flanked by two statues. The statue to the east depicts a tall, gaunt woman in a flowing, hooded gown, holding an hourglass. The figure to the west is that of a jackal-headed man carrying a scepter or staff in his hand. Stone double doors, standing slightly ajar leading to the east and west. A third set of double doors exits the room to the north. Torch holders sculpted in the shape of bird skulls are built in each corner, and a thin layer of dust covers every surface.

You recognize the statues as Pharasma and Anubis.

Someone can make a Survival to gain additional information.

The mirror has a faint illusion and transmutation aura.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
"Okay, that mirror is definitely magical. And it's illusion, too, so don't believe anything you see in it." Raziya moves across the room and, assuming there are no pressure plates in front of the doors, peeks through the openings without touching the doors themselves.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Tigi

Put me in Q22 until we move on just to keep an eye out behind us.

Remembering the ghost scorpion from earlier, Tigi nervously keeps an eye on her companions from the tapestry room, where she has a clear line of sight (and fire) down the trapped hall.

"Safe, and creepy bug free up there?"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aspexia

"Hmm?" Aspexia looks up from studying the tapestries. "Oh, right, another room! I think the cats are a common tradition in Osirian tombs...they must have been loved very much."

Aspexia glides down the hall and into the next room. "Oh my!" The wizard stands in front of the mirror, looking at her reflection.

History and Nobility on the tapestry: 2#1d20+8 15 19

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Akamur

"A mirror. That is strange, I wonder why there is a mirror in this room."

Survival: 1d20+5 13

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Tigi: Readies herself in the rear, providing her allies with ranged support.

Akamur: Examines the sand and finds tracks in it from smaller creatures. You're not able to tell what kind of creatures they are. All you know is that they were traveling from East to West or vice versa, you're not sure which.

Raziya: You see a room through the slightly ajar door to the East. There are a few pillars and what looks like a stone table towards the rear of the room. The doors to the west appear to lead down a set of stairs and the stone work seems a big rougher, less finished than the other rooms you've seen thus far.

Aspexia: Staring into the mirror, you see an image of Akhentepi staring back at you. His arms are crossed over his broad chest and he gazes at you with an extremely disapproving visage. Give me a Fortitude Saving Throw please.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aspexia

"Eek!" Aspexia cries. "That's one crazy trap. Don't look in the mirror - there's an illusion or something of Akhentepi in there."

Fortitude against the mirror: 1d20+2 17

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Akamur

Averting his eyes from the warning Aspexia gave, Akarmur quickly asks "Do you think we should try to break the mirror, or perhaps just leave it alone and go around into one of these side passages?"

Looking at the others again, Akamur catches the mirror out of the corner of his eye, and is drawn in.

Fortitude: 1d20+6 11

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Tigi

Staying put.

Tigi rolls her eyes at Akamur's suggestion.

"Don't be ridiculous Akamur. It's an antique mirror trap, why break it if we don't have to? You could just cover it. There's a convenient rug here, if you recall."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
"Aw, gods dammit. Well, nobody else look at it at least." Careful with where she is or isn't looking, Raziya heads back to the main room, and carefully takes down the tapestry. She then begins the slow, gradual process of trying to get back to the mirror without looking at it, so she can drape the tapestry over the top and front of it. "Really hope this works."

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Aspexia averted her eyes quickly enough but Akamur couldn't help but stare into the mirror, entranced by the disapproving image of a general dead and forgotten for over two thousand years.

The dwarf's forehead burns and he screams out in pain as words are scrawled onto his skin. The words "Thief" can be easily read as blood runs down Akamur's temples, his body marked with the sign of a grave robber.

As the dwarf stumbles back Raziya approaches the mirror and toss the tapestry over the foul magical thing, covering it and protecting the rest of the group from being horribly marked.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Tigi

Burn a CLW to put Akamur to full. Saving the last one to get someone up from unconscious.

Tigi tends to the dwarf's forehead, using the extra bit of her gift to take away the bruise from the darts, then stands ready as the next door is opened

"Exciting, it's a dungeon that accessorizes. Not your best look, Akamur. Push that door open a bit and let's see what else is in store for us"

Move up to V22 if we're opening doors. Let's check rough hallway before finished room, finding a way out other than climbing the bladed shaft seems important.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
"Stop! I haven't checked the doors for traps yet!"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aspexia

"You are all being so stupid!" Aspexia finds a rock or failing that borrows someone's mace or something. Averting her eyes and slipping her hand under the tapestry, she bangs the tool against the mirror until it breaks. "There. This tapestry is either incredibly important - or valuable to the right art dealer! If we're looking for wealth, leaving it atop a mirror won't help us!"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
"Asp. Assuming that even worked, and that you didn't just set off some even more horrible boobytrap, you just destroyed a priceless ancient treasure. Please put the rock down."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aspexia

"It's a trapped mirror attached to a wall. This is so not as treasure-y as the tapestry, Raziya."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Akamur

"I don't see what the big deal is, I wanted to do that i'm the first place "

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

The mirror unceremoniously breaks in hundreds of small pieces, gathering on the floor. The magical auras it was once radiating fade away, leaving it as just a bunch of broken glass on the floor.

Raziya takes her time checking the door for traps, and declares it both clean and unlocked. Opening gingerly the next room reveals a flight of steps gradually descending to the west down a rough passage. Halfway down the stairs, small holes and burrowed tunnels riddle what remains of the passage's southern wall. Earth and sand have spilled over the collapsed masonry, covering the stairs with dirt and rubble. Stone doors engraved with a golden scarab, its wings open beneath a golden sun, stand at either end of the stairs. One of the eastern doors is slightly ajar.

As you begin to enter the room, the sand beneath your feet stir and swirl around, gathering together to form a large shape that blocks your way!

Feel free to make a Knowledge: Planes check to gain information on the Sandling. It's a DC 12, so if you make that you can ask a single question about the monster (What DR does it have, immunities, resistences, etc...) and you get an additional question for every 5 points above the DC you get.

UP NEXT: Raziya

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raziya
Raziya lets out a breath she didn't know she was holding when the mirror shatters without ceremony. "Alright, fine, I stand corrected."

Bardic Knowledge: Planes: 1d20+3 8

"Oh, hey, look, that's a... a thing that Aspexia should recognize."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Aspexia

"No I don't!"

Aspexia doesn't have Knowledge (Planes) currently trained. Also you can also make another action: Knowledge checks are a free action.

• Locked thread