Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Devo posted:

Whoever gets that NL East team better dismantle it and let Cleveland run roughshod over the division

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I approve of your new team name, Nero

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I also love Nero's new team name unconditionally.

also what in the heck Gill Hooper and Geraldo Fernandez are already declining with age?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

It's not unusual for guys to tick off a point or two in their late 20s.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

yeah even at 20/20 you will find guys who take hits. conversely, there are some guys who are like loving Superman into their late 30s, hardly taking any hits at all

Dee Bryant
Feb 26, 2011

nasboat posted:

conversely, there are some guys who are like loving Superman into their late 30s, hardly taking any hits at all

:megadeath:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Ignacio Diaz actually just gained a point for me at age 30

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Once again, everyone is available for the right price. Those loser SS's of mine especially have to go.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jimmie Garces is available btw (and I can cover lots of salary). Hit me up with TCs.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

uublog posted:

I can't seem to find the post now but stimpy's said he's returning, right? It's just the former Vancouver and Hartford franchises that are getting new owners?

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Oh then even better. Password is Roosevelt Greene.

Yes! Thanks for sending me the invite already. I'm back in. Sorry for delay, I'm in the last week of my current job before I start a new one and I've got poo poo going on everywhere.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I accepted Boye's invite but for posterity's sake I'll post here that I'm in as the Dover Phantoms and am hype to be bad at fake baseball

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Monicro posted:

I accepted Boye's invite but for posterity's sake I'll post here that I'm in as the Dover Phantoms and am hype to be bad at fake baseball

Your team is really good, so relax I guess

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

tatankatonk posted:

Your team is really good, so relax I guess

Not with McKay Ray moving to Cleveland it ain't

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

AlleyViper posted:

Not with McKay Ray moving to Cleveland it ain't

I'm buying him in free agency

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Hi, at least I will enjoy my team's name. Also for those of you that don't know me im Drbluejeanns on twitter, and im ready to be bad at this

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Politicalrancor posted:

Hi, at least I will enjoy my team's name. Also for those of you that don't know me im Drbluejeanns on twitter, and im ready to be bad at this

Welcome Dr. Blue Jeanns! Being bad is a lot of fun, I spent like seven seasons doing that

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Happy 10 seasons fellow Class of S18 member Pecota! :hfive:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Capt Murphy posted:

Happy 10 seasons fellow Class of S18 member Pecota! :hfive:

:respek: for 10 seasons~

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

How important is 20 million in High School, College, and Advance scouting? Is there a huge difference between, say, an 18 in those and a 20?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

tatankatonk posted:

How important is 20 million in High School, College, and Advance scouting? Is there a huge difference between, say, an 18 in those and a 20?

You'll see more accurate projections at 20 than 18, but how much is up in the air. Additionally, you should see more draft prospects with higher HS/College scouting, but you can still get screwed and miss the tip top of the draft class. Sparky cares not for your mortal feelings.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Gene Poole and Matt Hunter retired in my system. Matt Hunter became a PC, unfortunately Poole didn't want to be a coach.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

tatankatonk posted:

As Devo mentioned, the differences in draft scouting are important because you see more/fewer prospects the higher/lower you budget.

IMO, once you get comfortable with evaluating players yourself, the key numbers for advance scouting are 0, 12 and 20. I've personally found budgeting below 12 to be pretty unreliable all around, and the difference from 12 to 20 to be fairly insignificant. 20 is definitely more accurate but the overall picture (say, middling power, good splits, excellent eye) is the same. So if I want to put money into advance I shoot for 12, don't go out of my way to hit 20 unless I can afford it, and otherwise dont even bother with anything between 0 and 12. YMMV

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Gene Poole and Matt Hunter retired in my system. Matt Hunter became a PC, unfortunately Poole didn't want to be a coach.

Noooo

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Huh, Derrick Garcia and Jesse Maxwell declined their options. I was gonna get rid of Jesse anyway, but I liked Derrick and would've kept him. Oh well at least he's a Type A (and Ellis Hooper's a Type B lol)

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Atheistdeals.com posted:

:(

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ahahaaha, Trey Sellers would have climbed to fifth place on the all-time home runs list after last season, except uublog ran Eddie Burke out there enough to hit three home runs, and stay one homer ahead of Sellers.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Buhhh just noticed budgets aren't getting set until the morning of the 18th, not tonight. Blurp

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

People who have sent TCs about Garces - I haven't responded yet because I've been either busy with stuff or playing LoL the last few days. I'll look over stuff later, but I really just care about value, no real positional concerns. Maybe a CF/2B/3B who's better than Rigo Nunez (not a high bar) if it's in the cards.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

AlleyViper posted:

Ahahaaha, Trey Sellers would have climbed to fifth place on the all-time home runs list after last season, except uublog ran Eddie Burke out there enough to hit three home runs, and stay one homer ahead of Sellers.

lollllllllllll Burke was terrible for me but I love him just for that :hehe:

S28 is not

Art, it is the summer of :george:

(I just noticed that exists and wanted a dumb reason to use it)

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Make a trade offer, Lean times to come for the Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Some cool dudes retired this year:

Donn Champion, age 43 - Was kinda mediocre overall, but he had pretty pronounced highs and lows. Beepers once gave him 3 years/8.6m per for some reason.

Graham Hogan, 42 - 7 stamina having stud who had several really good seasons and several really awful seasons. Two time all-star and world champion.

Matt Hunter, 41 - Threw 3000 real good innings, including a few Cy Young quality seasons. Won one CY and made two all-star teams.

Glen Little, 41 - Eight all-star appearances, three Cy Youngs, five rings, one career triple.

Davey Krause, 40 - Elite reliever who could throw 100+ innings a year, five time all-star and one ring.

Omar Bartee, 40 - Threw 465 innings over 16 years. Made four million bucks in S23 and pitched 31 innings that year.

Diego Valenzuela, 39 - Excellent hitter who was cursed with super low durability. Was part of both of Tacoma's World Series winning teams.

Gene Poole, 39 - His name was GENE POOLE. One time all-star.

Trot Kreuter, 39 - The real engine driving jeff's dynasty. Five SS gold gloves, 7 time all-star, 7 rings,

Anthony McCall, 37 - Decent enough pitcher who made one all-star team. Drafted by mastermind HBD ace davewillie.

Billy Mays, 43 - HE PLAYED 20 YEARS IN THE MINOR LEAGUES AND NEVER MADE IT TO THE SHOW! WOW!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Billy Mays, 43 - HE PLAYED 20 YEARS IN THE MINOR LEAGUES AND NEVER MADE IT TO THE SHOW! WOW!

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Atheistdeals.com posted:

BILLY MAYS HERE FOR BEING A CAREER MINOR LEAGUER! DO YOU ENJOY LONG BUS RIDES? DO YOU NOT EVER WANT NOTORIETY? THEN YOU NEED TO PLAY TWENTY SEASONS IN THE MINORS! YOU GET PAID POORLY, AND THE BEST PART IS, YOU GET ABUSED BY YOUR NEGLIGENT OWNER SOMETIMES!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'm going to Chicago tonight and won't be home until tomorrow evening. I should be able to re-hire all my minor league guys as long as I'm home before the PM2 part 2, right?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Devo posted:

I'm going to Chicago tonight and won't be home until tomorrow evening. I should be able to re-hire all my minor league guys as long as I'm home before the PM2 part 2, right?

yeah you should be okay until 3:30am

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I could theoretically do that crap on my phone but I didn't really want to

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Devo posted:

I could theoretically do that crap on my phone but I didn't really want to

Doing p. much anything in wis is a slog on the phone, I'm still mad they didn't take up the offer to do an app for free (who was that anyway? I've forgotten)

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Woo! Debuting five rookies this year. Wally Millwood is reaching the Show, finally

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I asked this in IRC but no one answered, are player ratings fairly inconsistent or am I just bad at reading them? Cause like I have a dude with 65 contact and I assume thats pretty bad but his career average is .294

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Monicro posted:

I asked this in IRC but no one answered, are player ratings fairly inconsistent or am I just bad at reading them? Cause like I have a dude with 65 contact and I assume thats pretty bad but his career average is .294

Link the card - a really good vR or something could explain that.

• Locked thread