Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How we doing this?
0 PPR, 8 Rounds
0.5 PPR, 8 Rounds
1 PPR, 8 Rounds
0 PPR, 15 Rounds
0.5 PPR, 15 Rounds
1 PPR, 15 Rounds
Checkbox
View Results

• Locked thread
Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

coronaball posted:

Standard ESPN scoring is 4 point passing TDs, correct?

yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

We need one more. Only 7 of you fucks have voted in the incredibly easy to read and see poll.

You know, even after you posted this I still didn't see the poll til we hit page 2. I just hit the "jump to new posts" button from the control panel, I never see your OP edits :colbert:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
1.11: Cam Newton

Seems like an obvious choice. I'm making a home team pick, and I'm obviously a fan of the guy (my team name wouldn't even make sense without SuperCam!) but like others have said, barring the top 5-6 RBs there's a pretty wide pool of talent to choose from at that position. Especially when picking at the end of the round, I'd rather secure a top tier QB and go for a reliable RB next round. As for his Probable status, he's already out of his boot and I absolutely don't see it being an issue.

That last sentence is the one I gloomily quote in November :v:

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Where did Cam finish last year? Ballsy. His current ADP is 7th round

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zypher posted:

He was the 4th highest points earner overall last year and I don't really have any reason to believe he won't produce at a similar level this year...We'll see I guess!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Zypher posted:

He was the fifth highest scorer in one of my leagues and seventh highest in another.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Fair enough.

I do like Cam, and think he's the safest/highest upside of the 2nd tier QBs, but I wouldn't draft him that high. He finished 6th overall, but his average was only slightly better than Luck, Dalton, and Rivers.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The guys who make head scratching decisions often somehow win the league, I've found. One guy drafted QBs back to back rounds 1 and 2 in a casual league and managed to win by trading one for something crazy and working waivers.

I do think Cam is going too high here, especially with the WR situation in Carolina, but it's certainly possible that he outperforms everyone but Peyton and Rodgers. He is drat good.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Welp, I'm gonna do it. Lots of very good Wrs on the board but RBs are scarce, 4 points passing devalues Qbs.

1.12: Le'Veon Bell

2.1: Doug Martin

I hate both of these picks but I'm sticking to my RB/RB strategy.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

LmaoTheKid posted:

Welp, I'm gonna do it. Lots of very good Wrs on the board but RBs are scarce, 4 points passing devalues Qbs.

1.12: Le'Veon Bell

2.1: Doug Martin

I hate both of these picks but I'm sticking to my RB/RB strategy.

Those were the two I was looking at and hated to pick one where I was at. I was hoping one would fall to my second round pick though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

jabro posted:

Those were the two I was looking at and hated to pick one where I was at. I was hoping one would fall to my second round pick though.

Such a long wait for my next two picks and I really don't have time to wait on another RB.

QB/WR/TE is much deeper IMO.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This is my first ever draft that hasn't consisted of "pick the highest rated guy or a guy I've heard of before" and certainly my first ever slow draft. I mean, I thought long and hard about taking Cam, but I'm not exactly some evil genius or anything...just having some fun! I do appreciate reading everyone's feedback so I can consider it during a live draft when it counts for money. :)

That being said, my next pick, I think, is a more traditional one:

2.2: Arian Foster

Gotta take a RB now and he's easily the safest bet left. If I had to strategize, though, I'd say that I'm hoping Clowney joining the team will give Houston's offense more time with the ball by forcing turnovers.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Yeah not bagging on you, just thinking out loud for future considerations.

Zac Stacy

There are still some quality options at WR but since I went QB gotta grab RB. Going Zac over other RB options hoping he continues to shine like he did at the end of last year.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Broncos homer advice: grab Moreno if you can; he can block really drat well so he's guaranteed to see snaps. Not to mention that whole running thing. Positive he gets starter over Lamar Miller.

e: really wish I didn't miss the sign up for this :(

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

timp posted:

1.11: Cam Newton

Seems like an obvious choice. I'm making a home team pick, and I'm obviously a fan of the guy (my team name wouldn't even make sense without SuperCam!) but like others have said, barring the top 5-6 RBs there's a pretty wide pool of talent to choose from at that position. Especially when picking at the end of the round, I'd rather secure a top tier QB and go for a reliable RB next round. As for his Probable status, he's already out of his boot and I absolutely don't see it being an issue.

That last sentence is the one I gloomily quote in November :v:

:monocle: holy moly that is a gutsy call

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

timp posted:

This is my first ever draft that hasn't consisted of "pick the highest rated guy or a guy I've heard of before" and certainly my first ever slow draft. I mean, I thought long and hard about taking Cam, but I'm not exactly some evil genius or anything...just having some fun! I do appreciate reading everyone's feedback so I can consider it during a live draft when it counts for money. :)
I like the Cam pick. I honestly think he's a great bet to repeat as a top 3 QB this year even without any weapons. He's certainly capable of carrying that team by himself. And has he ever done worse than QB5? That sort of reliability is valuable.

Plus it helps to shake things up in terms of draft strategy. Last year's drafts were RB-heavy to a fault and plenty of people got burned doing that. I know I did. I think RB is deeper this year too. I do think we'll see a swing back towards BPA or maybe even upside-down drafting so I like seeing some 1st round QBs here.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

CAR should trade for Andre Johnson.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

old dog child posted:

Broncos homer advice: grab Moreno if you can; he can block really drat well so he's guaranteed to see snaps. Not to mention that whole running thing. Positive he gets starter over Lamar Miller.

Don't fool yourself, they're both gonna get blown out by Damien Williams

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

old dog child posted:

So that makes one guy who blocks on the whole team. I think they will need more than that.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Miller wasn't given a bigger role on the Dolphins because he can't block for poo poo. Note that Moreno wasn't slated for much in Denver until it became clear that the team preferred the ability to block to pure run talent.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Tiptoes posted:

I like the Cam pick. I honestly think he's a great bet to repeat as a top 3 QB this year even without any weapons. He's certainly capable of carrying that team by himself. And has he ever done worse than QB5? That sort of reliability is valuable.

Plus it helps to shake things up in terms of draft strategy. Last year's drafts were RB-heavy to a fault and plenty of people got burned doing that. I know I did. I think RB is deeper this year too. I do think we'll see a swing back towards BPA or maybe even upside-down drafting so I like seeing some 1st round QBs here.

I don't mind a QB at 1.11, I just think it ought to be Rodgers or Brees over Cam

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

coronaball posted:

I don't mind a QB at 1.11, I just think it ought to be Rodgers or Brees over Cam

I wouldn't disagree with you, I almost went Brees.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
2.4 DeMarco Murray

You goddamn cockmongers stole my RBs. This makes me angry.

The Cowboys :airquote: allegedly :airquote: have vastly improved their front line, but I'm really not sure if that is from a passing or rushing perspective. Either way, hanging my hat on peanut brittle Murray gives me the shakes and makes my feet smell like garlic.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I hate the Cowboys, but they had the second highest rated run blocking line in all of football last year.

Of course....#1 belonged to the Eagles :smug:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Murray was actually pretty good last season. I still want nothing to do with him but that's not the worst pick of the 1.5 tier RBs.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

2.5 Montee Ball

Hey, another Denver player! The Broncos won't score as much as last year but will still light up the scoreboard as long as Manning has a pulse. Having the #1 WR and RB in that offense isn't too shabby.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
2.6 Brandon Marshall

Now that we've got that pesky Josh McWhoever out of the way, Jay Cutler can go back to force feeding Brandon Marshall the ball 20 times a game. Who needs that Alshon Jeffrey guy anyways? I like to think it's a guarantee that Brandon Marshall is a top 3 WR this year. I was tempted to grab another RB as it's about to get thin. But, I went RB>WR in all of my leagues last year and made it to the playoffs in all of them. Here goes nothin'.

89 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 15, 2014

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
The thing about Ball that would concern me is that there is no other running back in the league whose ability to block is more critical for his fantasy production than Montee Ball, and I didn't personally watch enough of him last year to be able to tell if that was something he improved upon over the season.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Suave Fedora posted:

The thing about Ball that would concern me is that there is no other running back in the league whose ability to block is more critical for his fantasy production than Montee Ball, and I didn't personally watch enough of him last year to be able to tell if that was something he improved upon over the season.

People are basing Ball's success on the "Peyton Effect" where the guy behind him gets a ton of touches. But it's not a sure thing and I'm not confident enough in Ball's skills to spend a 2nd rounder on him.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
The "Peyton effect" isn't just him getting tons of touches. It's also him seeing a ton of scoring opportunities and constantly facing defenses in sub packages. It definitely wasn't Knowshon's natural talent that made him a top back last year. I have Ball with a 1st round grade this year.

As for me, I'll go with Giovani Bernard with the 2.7 pick. Last time Hue Jackson was calling plays, he made DMC look like the best back in the league. I expect Bernard to make the jump to RB1 status this year in one of the league's best run games.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Tiptoes posted:

The "Peyton effect" isn't just him getting tons of touches. It's also him seeing a ton of scoring opportunities and constantly facing defenses in sub packages. It definitely wasn't Knowshon's natural talent that made him a top back last year. I have Ball with a 1st round grade this year.

As for me, I'll go with Giovani Bernard with the 2.7 pick. Last time Hue Jackson was calling plays, he made DMC look like the best back in the league. I expect Bernard to make the jump to RB1 status this year in one of the league's best run games.

And he's more durable. I have him for a 6th in my main league as a keeper and it kind of makes up for Josh Gordon. Ray Rice 2.0 imo the way he moves.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
With the 20th overall pick in the 2014 Something Awful Slow Draft, The Strangers select...

Adriel Jeremiah Green (I'd go by A.J. too)

I like locking down a top RB and WR early and feel that AJ is more reliable than the other remaining studs

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

2.9 - Reggie Bush

It's a tough call from here because there are a lot of true stud WRs and good RBs still out there, but I'm a subscriber to the 2 RB method even when both of my picks are slight reaches. In .5 PPR and the feeling that Reggie will play more games this season, I can't pass him up because he will be gone by the time I get to pick again.

e: Coronaball, you're up

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 15, 2014

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

2.10 Dez Bryant

No real sophisticated analysis here, just a stud receiver in a contract year. That, and the Cowboys defense should still be lousy which means they'll need to throw a lot to win. I thought about Brees or Rodgers but I hate drafting QBs early as a matter of policy.

Spoeank: your turn!

Q: are we supposed to enter our own picks on the Google sheet or is Beer doing all that?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Beer's got the sheet handled, doesn't want us messing with his functions on accident probably

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Wow that was quite the running back run. There are a crapload of wide receivers here that would be great and a ton of RBs that are sort of meh. That having been said, I will take Julio "Ears" Jones, since I feel like Matty Ice will have more time to stay upright and will be getting balls to him more like 2012 than 2013. I feel like this is going to be the start of a run on WRs and I would rather have the second pick in a run than the 5th.

Beer4TheBeerGod, you're up!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Drew Brees
Allright, normally I hate drafting a QB this early. But Brees produced starter quality games 63% of the time (second only to Peyton) and average second best out of all the QBs in PPG. Not exactly terrible numbers.

Alfred Morris
I just hope he learns how to catch.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

poo poo. I hate all the running backs in the world.

Alshon Jeffery

Coronaball, it's your turn.

Edit because for a split second I wanted Ben Tate

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 16, 2014

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Sorry I took so long; I realize that some of you probably wanted to dick around during your workday with this today.

Anyway, I'm busy today so I'll just make an easy pick: 3.3 Aaron Rodgers

I think this ends one tier of QBs, with Stafford heading up the next one. I'm sure Stafford will be gone by my next pick, and then we get into RG3's and Matt Ryan's and people who hosed me big-time last year. I play several leagues every year and I've never owned Rodgers before because people always overdraft him, but perhaps last year's injury will cause a little bit of a slide this year as it's done here apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Well, I was going to take Rodgers here probably, but since I can't now (jerk), I'll settle for 3.4 - Antonio Brown. He's a drat good player in a position to make a whole lot of catches in an improved Steelers offense. Here's to hoping, anyway. This was a real tossup for me between Cobb and Brown, but Brown has no competition for the grabs and is healthier besides.

Azhais, you're up!

• Locked thread