Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Popete posted:

Are dumb bombs and GBUs not target-able by ship defense systems?

Correct. Note the video posted from the last time we tried this and the ships emptied their whole magazines on the JSOWs that were launched against them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Popete posted:

Are dumb bombs and GBUs not target-able by ship defense systems?

No :smug: They will murder the poo poo out of cruise missiles and glide bombs though as well as anti radiation missiles. Look back a few pages and you can see what happened the last time we tried this mission.

efb icefist.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Can confirm. Good fun. Wingmen didn't seem pissed off walking me through turning on the F-18 data link and IFF, confirming I was targeting correctly with HARMs. If they were upset, everyone besides Dandy hid it well.

Just have the basics down and try to win.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
But in real life CIWS and other ship defenses can engage dumb bombs just fine right? I assume their radars are sensitive enough to pick up a MK82 and don't rely just on a weapons own radar emissions.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'm not sure I would think they probably could.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Carth Dookie posted:

What's the discord deets? I give it 50/50 the forums are dead within a week.

Wait, why do we think the forums are going to die?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's some twitter drama that lowtax is a wife beater and thus will be going to jail or whatever.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Aight welp everybody on discord. I have done a backup of the OPs.

Obviously Lowtax will have a clear line of succession mapped out..?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Maybe the problem is a lot of small text. I was struggling to figure out wing modes, it wasn't clear in the training mission, and after looking around for 5 minutes I found a cluster of millimeter sized status lights. Maybe a cockpit model without 90,000 flight cycles of wear and fade would be more beginner friendly. Markedly different from most F-18 switch and dial text size. Maybe it is fine in the F-14, but experience is biased by initial frustration.

I just use the meter to the right of the weapons panel. I can read auto and man and see the arrow just fine. I also run with cockpit textures at 1080 and at least 1.5 supersampling.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Vahakyla posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and put my money on "no".

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Vahakyla posted:

Aight welp everybody on discord. I have done a backup of the OPs.

Abusers live off control. So I have that marked off as "no way".

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N4ECfhffcA

Come airgoons m'lord. Where the fire is always friendly.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Popete posted:

But in real life CIWS and other ship defenses can engage dumb bombs just fine right? I assume their radars are sensitive enough to pick up a MK82 and don't rely just on a weapons own radar emissions.

Yes, though bombs can be difficult to hard-kill because beating the poo poo out of their metal casing won't phase 'em much. Destroying/degrading control surfaces doesn't do the ship any good if the bomb is like 50 feet above it, but it can make all the difference at altitude.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

mashed_penguin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N4ECfhffcA

Come airgoons m'lord. Where the fire is always friendly.

I promise not to send out phoenixes in tws from the tomcat when you’re engaged in a furball out in front of me, again.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Snapshot posted:

I promise not to send out phoenixes in tws from the tomcat when you’re engaged in a furball out in front of me, again.

…for certain values of “not again”…

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
“In the merge.”
“Fox three long.”

-classic DCS exchange of greetings

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Also the classic
“I think someone just committed a war crime over here”
“Oh no, not again…”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDb4bMW3qAc&t=2204s

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

skooma512 posted:

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2020/june/case-renaming-uss-john-c-stennis

Apparently the guy who they named USS Default after was a Dixiecrat rear end in a top hat.

I never really liked the idea of naming ships after dipshit politicians anyway. I don't care how many appropriations bills they hooked you up in.

There should never not be a USS Midway, but I also think we should throw caution to the wind and name the next one either USS Battle Off Samar or USS Samuel B. Roberts.

:colbert:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

MrYenko posted:

There should never not be a USS Midway, but I also think we should throw caution to the wind and name the next one either USS Battle Off Samar or USS Samuel B. Roberts.

:colbert:

I would support a new Sammy B.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Steam sale has most DCS stuff 50% off and the DCS Eshop has the same if you want to run standalone. If you are interested in goon missions getting the Persian Gulf map is a great idea.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
DCS shop gives you store points, too. So if you plan on getting two items, you can save a bit more. You'd have to split the purchase into two orders, accruing points on the first, spending points on the second.

It looks like you get no points on an order you use any points on, so always apply the discount to the cheaper item (ideally paying completely for it with points).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Starting to dig the 14, but nah. Still pretty pricey for my taste atm.

If I'm still playing next sale, maybe though. Rather get gud at F-18 and the Mig 21 first.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Starting to feel pretty good about the AV8 and the F14.

Had a couple of missions out and about and I successfully managed to launch the F14, kill a few things, not get shot down (a first!) and land back on the carrier. I need to refresh my memory on the case 2/3 radio calls though since they wouldn't grade my trap since I didn't do the comms properly beforehand. Also have to get better at getting jester to lock up stuff at proper ranges so I can use the AIM 54s at much longer ranges than I'm currently doing. Mig 23/21s can't shoot from that far away but 29s sure can.

Had a night mission in the harrier a moment ago and it went quite well. Took off, did some air to air refuelling and dropped some mavericks and GBUs on some targets and even managed to get the high value targets and AA first. I avoided getting shot down by f5s which was a nice bonus but more importantly I was aware of them and they didn't sneak up and kill me. Then a successful return to the Tarawa and vertical landing. All in the dark! Perfect harrier mission type.

Only thing I have to get better at is locating targets with the maverick/TGP from a distance. All too often I didn't find something until I was too close and I had to pass over it and try again from a different direction or I couldn't get the designator in the right spot in time.

Also starting tutorials on the Mirage since I want a single seater for when I don't feel like doing stuff with the F14 and I still have no interest in the F18.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Carth Dookie posted:

Starting to feel pretty good about the AV8 and the F14.

Had a couple of missions out and about and I successfully managed to launch the F14, kill a few things, not get shot down (a first!) and land back on the carrier. I need to refresh my memory on the case 2/3 radio calls though since they wouldn't grade my trap since I didn't do the comms properly beforehand. Also have to get better at getting jester to lock up stuff at proper ranges so I can use the AIM 54s at much longer ranges than I'm currently doing. Mig 23/21s can't shoot from that far away but 29s sure can.

As soon as you get "Hot Trigger" light with phoenix selected, you can launch (but shouldn't, depending on range). It will go towards the first launch priority, which is the target with a number 1 to the right of it. You can then follow up immediately by launching on the five next targets, one by one, should they exist. No input required.

If you need to specify target, that's a bit more tricky with jester. There is currently no way to make him change launch priority, so you will need to use Single Target Lock. Tell him to lock target based on distance, launch priority number, etc.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Yeah, so long as Jester stays in TWS mode (I think he switches to RWS while searching for targets like he should) you just need to have a target in the radar cone to be able to launch a Phoenix, STT is not required. You can also explicitly order him to go to TWS if he's doing something else, too. Or just get a human RIO :v:. But even with Jester you should be able to outrange a 29 no problem. Be higher and/or faster if your missiles aren't making it there.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah I wasn't getting launch auth at range with the Phoenix for some reason. Must have been in the wrong radar mode.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
4th of July has a very newb friendly DCS mission and it has all the common western planes available. Newbies are encouraged to join, flight leads will help you.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=0

Please sign up.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I just reinstalled this after, according to Steam, five years. I'm picking up the PG map. I see Nevada has lovely reviews. Any specific reasons to avoid it on sale? Right now I'm just flying the A10, Huey and Mig 21.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Why would you simulate simulations and just simulate the real thing? The only reason to use Nevada is to roleplay Red Flag or do something imaginative with a US invasion scenario. Since there's no police vehicles in this game, I have no reason at all to get it.

That's why I didn't want Nevada anyway. Also no place for carriers, the shiny new one or otherwise.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I just reinstalled this after, according to Steam, five years. I'm picking up the PG map. I see Nevada has lovely reviews. Any specific reasons to avoid it on sale? Right now I'm just flying the A10, Huey and Mig 21.

Nevada isn't used anywhere except for a couple of third-party training campaigns (fitting, since it's the Nevada Test and Training Range). It's not a bad map, as such, but it suffers from a number of issues that makes it less useful for mission making.

It's all desert and mountains, with no variation to it so it gets same:y after a while. It has three large airports. They're all within 10nm from each other, so you can't really have a decent “red” and “blue” side. Groom Lake and Tonopah are decently-sized, but are spread out and annoying to coordinate.

Just in general, the map is “imbalanced” as far as airports go — you have a ton in the south; few, and only small ones out in the desert. This isn't all that strange, of course, but it does mean that large portions are just empty of anything useful. In addition, outside of LV, there aren't all that many interesting vistas to do anything with, and what there are is all concentrated in a rather small area. Again, this makes it so that large portions just don't lend themselves to any kind of interesting missions. It's all fly-over, and you end up either reusing the same few interesting spots over and over again, or you just end up using some random patch of desert. There are plenty of those in the Persian Gulf map but also tons of interesting spots for variety, so why would you ever use NTTR as your base?

Perhaps more importantly these days, there is no water. At least not in a useful DCS sense. Lake Mead exists but you can't place any kind of boats or naval units on it because of a limitation in the engine — the water surface is at 1600' altitude; “sea” only exists at 0', and the entire lake is just an oddly shaped river. Thus, for unit placement purposes, it counts as “land that kills any non-amphibious unit placed on it”. Since carrier ops is all the latest rage, Nevada doesn't get to play.

This also creates a negative spiral: since it's so limited for mission-making purposes, few missions are made for it. Since few missions are made for it, not a lot of people buy it. This means there isn't a large audience for any missions you make, so that feeds back into having even fewer missions made. It could be an interesting setting for all kinds of helicopter and small-plane shenanigans, but it's hard to gather the required enthusiasm to make one of those when you know it will never be played.

Everything NTTR does and has on offer can also be had on the Persian Gulf map, but in more abundance, with more variety, and on top of that, PG also have even more options for mission-making variety. It shows that Nevada was a test-bed for the new map tech they introduced with DCS 2.0, and PG is the real outcome of that testing.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 1, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
On the other hand you can bomb Trump Tromb Tower in the Nevada map.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Iirc the Nevada map was originally made by a third party and promised as a preorder bonus for the A10 module. Then for whatever reason the third party was unable to finish the map and because it had been promised for preorders ED took it over and completed it.

I may not be remembering it correctly but it's something along those lines.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mashed_penguin posted:

Iirc the Nevada map was originally made by a third party and promised as a preorder bonus for the A10 module. Then for whatever reason the third party was unable to finish the map and because it had been promised for preorders ED took it over and completed it.

I may not be remembering it correctly but it's something along those lines.

I got it for free because I preordered A-10.

:corsair:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
The main attraction of the NTTR map was that it was the first one available that wasn't the Caucasus, and the sheer novelty was a good thing back then. (Also, wasn't it the only map you could use with version 2.0 for a while?) Now that there are other choices, it's lost that major advantage, and the limitations others have mentioned make it less popular.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Okay, so I made sure to check the OP before asking this, even though I'm sure it's been asked MANY times before...

I just linked my Steam account to my DCS profile - if I transfer my licenses, can I play them on EITHER Steam or DCS' servers, or is it an either/or thing that's a one-way/one-time-only transfer?

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Okay, so I made sure to check the OP before asking this, even though I'm sure it's been asked MANY times before...

I just linked my Steam account to my DCS profile - if I transfer my licenses, can I play them on EITHER Steam or DCS' servers, or is it an either/or thing that's a one-way/one-time-only transfer?

Either or from what I've noticed. It's why I still buy modules through Steam even after switching to standalone.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
DCS is fun, I am now obsessed with my F/A-18C. Feels good.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

I'm shamelessly posting signup sheet for the coop game itself, too, but more importantly, show up 15 minutes early on saturday to the prescribed start time, at 1945 Universal Time Coordinated, for our very first Goon Teacher Goon Fighter Tactics Common Core Education. In the fifteen minutes, Bear.Is.Flying will stream us through a 10-15 minute quick lesson about fighter combat at the Beyond Visual Range distance, and answer question. This is not in anyway mandatory, it is not expected, and you are free to skip it. You can also check in even if you don't have the want to fly in the mission with us. We're hoping to make the idea bigger to help people learn more. You don't need to sign up for the lesson.
This will be in AirGoons Discord, at the voice channel where people will congregate before coop mission start time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Count me out for tomorrow. Surprise work and surprise veterinarian trip tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
For those who keep this thread on the slow burner:

A-10C will get an update. It'll be discounted for current A-10 owners, but can be bought separately without owning the original. Laser guided Mavs, GBU-54 laser JDAM, ARC-210 satellite radio, Link-16, Scorpion Helmet Mounted Cueing System, APKWS are among the upgrades you get with it.