Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Vahakyla posted:

For those who keep this thread on the slow burner:

A-10C will get an update. It'll be discounted for current A-10 owners, but can be bought separately without owning the original. Laser guided Mavs, GBU-54 laser JDAM, ARC-210 satellite radio, Link-16, Scorpion Helmet Mounted Cueing System, APKWS are among the upgrades you get with it.

I gotta pay for an update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yes. The different block of A-10 will be considered a separate plane and a separate module.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Oh, I see. So there'll be 3 A-10s now.

Hopefully that means some time in the future, there'll also be an F-18E/F (or a G - a boy can dream!).

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

A-10C will get an update. It'll be discounted for current A-10 owners,

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They really need to stop hanging out with the Combat Mission devs.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Oh, I see. So there'll be 3 A-10s now.

Hopefully that means some time in the future, there'll also be an F-18E/F (or a G - a boy can dream!).

Buy a G and then just do air to air loadouts so you can roleplay egregious misuse of national EW assets.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

OhsH posted:

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

Yeah, it's basically what they did with Black Shark (and are doing again with Black Shark).

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don’t see why a different block of an A-10 should be free, especially since the current one is the most complete module on its own.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

They should finish the features that their customers have paid for prior to beginning new projects.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

I don’t see why a different block of an A-10 should be free, especially since the current one is the most complete module on its own.

Stockholm syndrome

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Because it's dumb as poo poo to buy the same exact plane in the same exact game multiple times. If an expansion pack had a couple redundant planes, or overlap with another, that's one thing, but an update for a £50 individual aircraft being paid for? gently caress that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

I can agree with this actually, but I’m gonna need to see the discounted price first.

Also these features actually need to be present and working.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

concise posted:

They should finish the features that their customers have paid for prior to beginning new projects.

Why? The "early access" releases mean that they already have like 95% of the money they're going to make off X project. Literally nobody who was ever going to buy the F/A-18 is holding out for it going "nah, I'll wait until it's complete." So why continue putting development effort into something that won't get you any new revenue? Just because you said you would? lol

maybe the planes would be more complete if the flight sim fanbase had the slightest ability to delay gratification.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sagebrush posted:

Why? The "early access" releases mean that they already have like 95% of the money they're going to make off X project. Literally nobody who was ever going to buy the F/A-18 is holding out for it going "nah, I'll wait until it's complete." So why continue putting development effort into something that won't get you any new revenue? Just because you said you would? lol

maybe the planes would be more complete if the flight sim fanbase had the slightest ability to delay gratification.

Blaming the customers for the bad practice of the company isn't exactly the best stance to take. Not to mention that none of the DCS planes are marked under Early Access on Steam, though the description does say "Open Beta".

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Blaming the customers for the bad practice of the company isn't exactly the best stance to take. Not to mention that none of the DCS planes are marked under Early Access on Steam, though the description does say "Open Beta".

wow im agreeing w a herp post

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean no question is ED a lovely company (I have said several times, completely in earnest, that I think they're actually a money-laundering operation for the Russian mob or at least some oligarch failson's pet project) but the reason companies get away with this poo poo is because it doesn't have any consequences.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I would probably pay (not full price) again for an F-5 varian that had AMRAAMs (or even sparrows) and Mavericks and could carry more than 2 air to air missiles.

The F-5 is so fun to fly but actually using it in combat as a low tech air to air option is often somehow more limited than just a Harrier with 4 heaters based on the Harriers loadout and better HUD (at expense of speed and turning like a brick).

E:
I’m one of the weird users who waited on the F-18 until amraams and IFF and a bunch of other poo poo was fixed, and bought it this past sale.

Of course, I might’ve caved if I weren’t already aware I was likely soon deploying when it came out.

IMO, owning a Huey shouldn’t have someone expecting to get the UH-1Y model for free. What sucks a lot more is getting a plane where very basic amd essential things kind of suck or are missing (like IFF or RWR or 75% of your weapons).

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 28, 2020

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
hmmm thinkin' about how much it'll cost to upgrade the MiG-29S into the MiG-29SMT

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Because it's dumb as poo poo to buy the same exact plane in the same exact game multiple times. If an expansion pack had a couple redundant planes, or overlap with another, that's one thing, but an update for a £50 individual aircraft being paid for? gently caress that.

Then don't

The A-10C module is more than a decade old and has been feature complete for as long as I can remember. I don't really see why you should expect that a totally different block, built as an update to a module that has long since delivered all the features it promised, should be expected to be free. It's essentially a sequel/standalone expansion.

If the discount is such that the price is worth the delta between modules then buy it, if it's not then don't. It's an entertainment product not an essential service.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

APKWS will be sweet as gently caress

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sagebrush posted:

i mean no question is ED a lovely company (I have said several times, completely in earnest, that I think they're actually a money-laundering operation for the Russian mob or at least some oligarch failson's pet project) but the reason companies get away with this poo poo is because it doesn't have any consequences.

I was under the impression that one of the main reasons ED gets away with anything is because there's literally no competition?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Jarmak posted:

Then don't

The A-10C module is more than a decade old and has been feature complete for as long as I can remember. I don't really see why you should expect that a totally different block, built as an update to a module that has long since delivered all the features it promised, should be expected to be free. It's essentially a sequel/standalone expansion.

If the discount is such that the price is worth the delta between modules then buy it, if it's not then don't. It's an entertainment product not an essential service.

Basically this. I don’t see the problem with this. It would be different if they said the rest of the F16 features would be a 60 dollar DLC. This is an already finished module. Why is it bad they’re charging people for releasing another variant with brand new features?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I don’t think it’s bad they’re charging people, I think it’s bad they’re putting work into it instead of finishing one of their many unfinished projects people have already paid for.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

b-but, if ED doesn't bleed us dry, combat flight sims will die forever

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

BMan posted:

b-but, if ED doesn't bleed us dry, combat flight sims will die forever

They presumably do need some money to run operations.

Keeping a module up-to-date in terms of textures and functionality is what I expect to be the maintenance, possibly even some variations if it is discussed such as F-14 getting A and B, and Razbam considering making Strike Eagle but also possibly some international *Rad Name* Eagles. However, like in this case, the new A-10 is a completely different block as far as we know based on the information, and it's definitely something that we should pay for since it is a new plane. As Muhlump said, the Swiss F-5 with AMRAAMs and MFD's and Link16 and what not would also be a functionally different plane, and an upgrade charge would be prudent in that case.

Flight sims cost money, and I'm probably on the whale end of purchasing them, but complaining that ED charges money is weird. If we could prove, or reasonably believe, that working on the newer block A-10 takes resources away from F-16 and F-18 for example, I'd definitely agree with you to calm their horses, and prioritize the ones on the burner. However, they've said, as have several 3rd Party Devs said of their own projects, that a lot of them will at any given point have multiple leftover people who can not work on current product, and will thus hammer maps, external models for new planes, or work on systems that don't have commonality with the other project. Seems pretty likely that ED offices also have couple code monkeys who can't all work on the F-16 and F-18.

This current Syria map wasn't even made by ED's in-house team.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 29, 2020

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Vahakyla posted:

Seems pretty likely that ED offices also have couple code monkeys who can't all work
:hmmyes:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Iirc they recently did a significant cockpit model and texture to update the A10c cockpit to the standard of more recent modules and didn't charge for that and are doing similar with the black shark. I don't have a problem with them charging for the new version of the A10.

I do think EDs business model is hot garbage and even some kind of subscription plan would probably be better and lead to less robbing Peter to pay Paul but :shepface:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

im okay with em making new variant of a10c.
It does raise concerns over them abandoning the original a10c
just like they did with original blackshark, but that is basically wait and see kind of thing.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

We know from their own announcements that they shift resources off unfinished products to work on other unfinished products. They don’t have a large enough team to support all the balls they are juggling, so I would argue it is reasonable to think they should cool off a bit on new in house projects. However, their cashflow could be so poorly managed that they don’t know how to survive without constantly shoveling unfinished modules to the market. Or they know their user base will preorder anything they promise to eventually finish forever. Or both and they don’t give a poo poo and are milking their market as hard as they can. ED sucks any way you look at it.

Flying the A10 was cool and a new block is exciting. I don’t feel entitled to it for free. I won’t be buying it until F16 is a prioritized project and has been significantly fleshed out, if ever.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
It’s 2020 and I’m still waiting for hip/huey multicrew. Laffo.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

PenisMonkey posted:

It’s 2020 and I’m still waiting for hip/huey multicrew. Laffo.

This is exactly the problem.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
huey/hip multicrew announced in new 60$ module

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
And the new crew position is “passenger in back.”

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I imagine their Huey and other shenanigans is just incompetence. They’d probably like to sell bunch of Huey modules with the ”brand new feature of multicrew!”

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

OhsH posted:

huey/hip multicrew announced in new 60$ module

It's gonna be :krad: just like Combined Arms, which is the best DCS module of all time.

STARING OUT THE WINDOW ACTIOOOOOOOOOOON. Can't wait for the Huey trailer with, you loving guessed it, Fortunate Son!

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
some folks are born, made to spend 90 dollars on half finished aircraft.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I hope the Strike Eagle and F-4 (is that is even a thing anymore) have multi crew, but I’m not keeping my hopes up.

The Mudhen will still be a blast though I think

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Julius CSAR posted:

I hope the Strike Eagle and F-4 (is that is even a thing anymore) have multi crew, but I’m not keeping my hopes up.

The Mudhen will still be a blast though I think

F-4 got postponed to get the F-16 finished, which, lol. F-15E isn't Eagle, which is good, but iirc it's RAZBAM, which... isn't. It'll at least exist but I hope you aren't expecting it to ever be finished or even close.

And don't buy DCS modules based on what they will be, buy them based on what they have/are today.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The Rata was very nice atleast. The I-16 is crazy charming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

power crystals posted:

F-15E isn't Eagle, which is good, but iirc it's RAZBAM, which... isn't.

RAZBAM: Somehow more Eagle Dynamics than Eagle Dynamics.

The only developer that has in any way set itself apart to me is Heatblur. I’ll buy their modules day one without hesitation.