Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Vahakyla posted:

Quest 1 just isn’t quite there with its resolution. With Reverb G2, and no supersampling, I can read Tomcat Gauges and Hornet MFDs just fine.

It’s a pretty big jump from my old Odyssey+.

The Vive Pro was really the first headset with resolution that was up to snuff to begin really replacing monitors and TrackIR, but even then there were edge cases where stuff could be hard to read. (Taxiway markings were nearly impossible, for instance.) The index is in that same club, but right now the king of nerd hill is definitely the Reverb G2. I wish it had more FOV, and the controllers suck donkey dick, but it’s the best there is for seated VR at the moment.

Takes a pretty monster machine to run DCS in VR on it, but it’s quite the thing when it’s working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
aubergine

aubergine

aubergine

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Holy crap I didn’t realize there was a DCS thread here. Hey gang. I’ve been playing for about 6 months, mostly F-16 and Su-33. I also own bunch of modules that I haven’t bothered with yet (F-14, F-18, Mig-21, F-5… loving Steam sales…) Really looking forward to the AH-64D module and Eurofighter. But most of all I can’t wait for the loving multi-threading/Vulkan update so we can finally get a semblance of stable FPS and I can give VR another try.

Where do you guys play? Do we have a server?

Also, my WingWing grip broke so I just bought a VKB and it’s amazing

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

There is a goon DCS group. We typically do a goon created mission every Saturday and are organized around a Discord server. There is a link to it in the OP. We do run a server which when it's not hosting our regularly planned mission is running a training server were you can use menu options to spawn in bad guys to practice on.

Other than that the group is also not limited to just DCS, there's IL2 players, civ sim players etc. Give the Discord channel a shot.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Animal posted:

Holy crap I didn’t realize there was a DCS thread here. Hey gang. I’ve been playing for about 6 months, mostly F-16 and Su-33. I also own bunch of modules that I haven’t bothered with yet (F-14, F-18, Mig-21, F-5… loving Steam sales…) Really looking forward to the AH-64D module and Eurofighter. But most of all I can’t wait for the loving multi-threading/Vulkan update so we can finally get a semblance of stable FPS and I can give VR another try.

Where do you guys play? Do we have a server?

Also, my WingWing grip broke so I just bought a VKB and it’s amazing

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Ice Fist posted:

There is a goon DCS group. We typically do a goon created mission every Saturday and are organized around a Discord server. There is a link to it in the OP. We do run a server which when it's not hosting our regularly planned mission is running a training server were you can use menu options to spawn in bad guys to practice on.

Other than that the group is also not limited to just DCS, there's IL2 players, civ sim players etc. Give the Discord channel a shot.

Seconding this -- I've only been running missions with goons since earlier this year and it's always a blast. Best part is the post-mission debrief where we stream the Tacview and watch our wingmen incinerate each other with maddogged AMRAAMs splash MiGs with professional-grade BFM and BVR tactics

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Seconding this -- I've only been running missions with goons since earlier this year and it's always a blast. Best part is the post-mission debrief where we stream the Tacview and watch our wingmen incinerate each other with maddogged AMRAAMs splash MiGs with professional-grade BFM and BVR tactics

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ice Fist posted:

Cool, I’ll try to log in on October 23rd. I play on DDCS which is a hyper realistic dynamic campaign PVP server populated by spergs

MrYenko posted:

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

airplanes for a living and then airplanes on your desk :spergin:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Judging by the hummvee one I’m guessing this is the ID chart they give to A-10 crews?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I prefer to watch friendlies die to red out of fear that I might blue on blue. Can’t frat if your friends are all dead!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Multi-crew aircraft preserve your options when no friendly aircraft remain.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Always go for a good PIO when your RIO is on VR. When you puke in the game, you puke in real life.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
holy poo poo i can actually see the symbology on the f16 mfds, it's a miracle

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Feel like picking up one WW2 map and module during the sale. What's generally better, Normandy or Channel?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
They made a mistake in the sale price of the Mosquito and The Channel on Steam, giving them an extra discount. The Channel is purportedly more detailed than Normandy, but cover slightly different areas (with decent overlap).

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Anyone else super excited about the Apache but also intimidated by its systems?

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Animal posted:

Ye

I'll be surprised if I end up playing it more than the hind though

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Animal posted:

The Apache, more than any other module, really makes me understand how flying one of these things is a full-time job requiring a metric butt-load of preparation. I'd love to relieve my old Microprose Gunship days, but there's just no way I'm ever going to take the time to learn all of this.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Apache looks cool but no chopper will ever be as cool as the Hind.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I’ve watched some of the systems vids for the Apache, and yeah “a full time job” seems very appropriate

Also I never knew it was Barry Leitch who did the music for Longbow, he’s the guy that did all the music for all the Top Gear games, and also did the soundtrack for the Horizon Chase games. Dude is a real legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsM3Zvw5weA

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 23, 2021

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
DCS winter sale. Make an account on their website, download OPEN BETA client, activate a FREE TRIAL of your favorite plane, get some 1-on-1 tutorial time on the Airgoons discord. If you like it, buy before the sale ends.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://youtu.be/dtmGCYeipas

Get hyped.

(For things that are a year-plus out.)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

From Reddit: Apparently the end of the video is teasing an Afghanistan map and the F-4 Phantom.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ice Fist posted:

From Reddit: Apparently the end of the video is teasing an Afghanistan map and the F-4 Phantom.

The coordinates are dead center on Bagram air base, that one is hiding in plain sight. The reticle that flashes briefly really does look like an F-4 reticle, but that’s a lot more open to interpretation. There is an F-4 module in development, but no indication what variant. I’d hope they’d synergize with Heatblur’s work on the A-6 and Forrestal and do an F-4B or (ohpleaseohpleaseohplease) F-4J, but as we all know, ED gonna ED, so it’s probably the F-4E.

More interesting to me was the repeated shots of F-15Es and A-6s. As we all know, fighter pilots make movies, but bomber pilots make history.

:getin:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MrYenko posted:

The coordinates are dead center on Bagram air base, that one is hiding in plain sight. The reticle that flashes briefly really does look like an F-4 reticle, but that’s a lot more open to interpretation. There is an F-4 module in development, but no indication what variant. I’d hope they’d synergize with Heatblur’s work on the A-6 and Forrestal and do an F-4B or (ohpleaseohpleaseohplease) F-4J, but as we all know, ED gonna ED, so it’s probably the F-4E.

More interesting to me was the repeated shots of F-15Es and A-6s. As we all know, fighter pilots make movies, but bomber pilots make history.

:getin:

I would LOVE an A-6 module.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Heatblur announced in February 2021 that they’re working on a full A-6E module.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Heatblur announced in February 2021 that they’re working on a full A-6E module.

I missed that, awesome. They are also working on the Typhoon, my favorite modern fighter. I hope they are up to the same standards as their F-14

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

MrYenko posted:

There is an F-4 module in development, but no indication what variant. I’d hope they’d synergize with Heatblur’s work on the A-6 and Forrestal and do an F-4B or (ohpleaseohpleaseohplease) F-4J, but as we all know, ED gonna ED, so it’s probably the F-4E.

The ED F-4 started years ago and got put on hold for the sake of the F-16, so they probably decided what variant it was long before Heatblur started on the A-6 and Forrestal.

Give us one of the RN Phantoms just to confuse and annoy everybody :v:

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I sort of do want a Mudhen, but haven’t played with the RIO AI in the Tomcat to know whether the WSO would be well-implemented or a gigantic PITA. That’s even assuming they could use that, idk if Heatblur owns the Jester stuff or who’d make the F-15E module.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

uwaeve posted:

I sort of do want a Mudhen, but haven’t played with the RIO AI in the Tomcat to know whether the WSO would be well-implemented or a gigantic PITA

No AI backseater as of now is promised to the Streagle.

You’ll fly it completely solo unless you have a human with you.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

MrYenko posted:

https://youtu.be/dtmGCYeipas

Get hyped.

(For things that are a year-plus out.)

Me watching this video:

power crystals posted:

The ED F-4 started years ago and got put on hold for the sake of the F-16, so they probably decided what variant it was long before Heatblur started on the A-6 and Forrestal.

Give us one of the RN Phantoms just to confuse and annoy everybody :v:

YESSSSSSSSS GIMME THE OMEGA TAILS!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah there’s no to be sure, but this:

Is the reticle they used on Phantoms, but also pretty everything else from that time as all, but I’m sure they aren’t teasing the F-5

Bonkers opinion: We’re seeing a teaser for the F-106

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Julius CSAR posted:

Bonkers opinion: We’re seeing a teaser for the F-106

Me and you are friends. Even if you don’t want to.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

MrYenko posted:

Me and you are friends. Even if you don’t want to.

I love friends

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Animal posted:

the Typhoon, my favorite modern fighter

Sorry, the correct answer was the Rafale.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
indistinguishable from the gripen

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Uhhhh no, the Rafale has two engines and a larger wing and is much prettier than either of the other two.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I call it a Raphael :fsmug:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

Uhhhh no, the Rafale has two engines and a larger wing and is much prettier than either of the other two.

Don’t forget the Rafale M is carrier-capable, and basically a French Top Gun surrogate. I choose to ignore that they used Mirages for Les Chevaliers du Ciel.

:colbert:

The French have historically built some gently caress-Ugly combat aircraft, but the Rafale is not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And in fairness, other times they very very much did not