Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Shine posted:

The Black Shark is fine without pedals since it flies itself anyway.

Pedal on the left/right hat, collective on up/down :evilbuddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Small black dot labels only for aircraft. Ground labels are horrible looking anyway.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

mlmp08 posted:

No labels in the gazelle is a fun game. No labels in the Hind is fun but I also feel like a blind bottomfeeder fish hunting for easy food while waiting to get ensnare by an eel or shark.

Very hard to keep up a scan; I tend to err on zooming waaay in hunting for label-free trucks and such and ignoring the big airplane coming at me or Gazelle eyeing me.

Overlord bot and a tripwire helps with that in Hind.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Small black dot labels only for aircraft. Ground labels are horrible looking anyway.

This is probably correct, but also leads to the sky knights thinking they fancy despite doing the easiest part of the mission.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The Hind is a very large helicopter with an overpowering SAS and it flies like overweight clapped-out school bus.
It's probably very good at what it does, but the Apache is way more fun to fly.

The Hind is a clapped-out school bus that hauls rear end tho.

It's also the coolest looking helo of all time.

Popete fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 25, 2022

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The skynet nature of DCS ai makes it rather obtuse to build challenging yet engaging missions for for apaches. There's no such thing as "surprise" so opfor unit composition ends up being more important than just "toss down whatever is thematic" like you can with FW.

Personally, I've found regular old shilkas, strelas, and the occasional osa (to make sure they've got their warning page up) to be pretty fun. Manpads are cool, but unless it's a night mission, spotting a lone infantryman on the ground is just a royal pain. Mass tanks or ifvs, especially the more modern Red equipment, tend to have atgms, and i've watched so many apaches think they can hover ~6km away from a tank and get a missile to george's face. Tunguskas are doable by a very skilled pilot that is able to get a launch in the split second before it fires, but typically the tungy launches first and just eats the helo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I feel like helos and some of the cold war planes really benefit from a game master. In some of the arab-israeli campaign stuff, when A-4s rocked an area with accurate runs but didn’t kill much due to how DCS splash damage and lack of suppression works, could clean it up with game mastered artillery.

A game master who’s not an rear end in a top hat can really either un-impossible a mission going poorly or punish someone who is being stupid and cocky.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, a GM really makes the helo experience shine. I helped run the Rotorheads server for ~ 8 months through the hind and apache peaks and it was a definite challenge with how easy helos can just fall out of the sky.

e;

mlmp08 posted:

I feel like helos and some of the cold war planes really benefit from a game master. In some of the arab-israeli campaign stuff, when A-4s rocked an area with accurate runs but didn’t kill much due to how DCS splash damage and lack of suppression works, could clean it up with game mastered artillery.

A game master who’s not an rear end in a top hat can really either un-impossible a mission going poorly or punish someone who is being stupid and cocky.

alongside destroying "damaged" units, I was always a big fan of using the CA binocular smoke to simulate JTACs. Trying to get them manually placed through the mission editor or other means was always such a pain in the rear end, it was just a piece of cake to roleplay out over srs that "we're in contact! launching red smoke in the vicinity of enemy positions!" and then just hop in the redfor vehicle and plop some smoke nearby to give people a better idea of the location to hit.

Avynte fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 25, 2022

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This is literally the worst Growling Sidewinder video I've ever watched, but it feels appropriate right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjffM_4Dkcc

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Does DCS play nicely with Win11?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Lord Stimperor posted:

Yes.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Lord Stimperor posted:

No complaints so far.

As for apache/hind/shark/gaz. Dcs spotting sucks, so the flir is a huge advantage, unless you have labels on. Flying a shark on rotorheads was an exercise in patience without an alternate means of spotting; the targeting camera is visible light only, and the camera has a really narrow field of view. So it’s crawl forward, hover and scan with the shkval, and hope there isn’t a surprise off to the side of the nose. You tend to find where the enemy is when they fire on you. The single player hind is way better for goon tendencies - enhanced spotting with petro, the ability to take a few hits without loss of too much functionality, and high speed to sprint to the mission.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

skooma512 posted:

What are people's thought on Hind vs Apache?

apache does way more than hind and has functional multicrew (hind multcrew works but its just lobbing atgm's).
however its still very early access, for example the engine doesnt burst into fire from abuse.

hind is fast armored to small extend and has really fun playstyle of flying in firing your stuff and looping back before enemy reacts
apaches style is hover lob hellfires and precise rockets in multicrew cooperation.

Both are fun.
But when apache released i started playing hind way more as playing with apache made me realize how much more challenging/fun hind is.
If you dont have a helicopter module i would recommend getting apache first.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The most annoying part of getting back into the hind after binging on the apache was opening and closing the shutters every attack run :negative:

After tasting the functionality and convenience of the tads it was hard to give up.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but the hind has a cabin fan

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
I was playing the F15 campaign and my AI wingman called out a missile launch and to go defensive. As I do that I look over my shoulder and notice a blue label AIM-120...

I guess... thanks for letting me know you are shooting at me?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I've struggled to dial in settings that I like for TDC slew controls. Large movements are too slow and fine movements are way too fast, basically the exact opposite of what I'd like yet nothing I tweak seems to hit the sweet spot.

What X/Y saturation and curves do you all like to use?

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

Do I pull G's? no sir, I'm married

Teeter posted:

I've struggled to dial in settings that I like for TDC slew controls. Large movements are too slow and fine movements are way too fast, basically the exact opposite of what I'd like yet nothing I tweak seems to hit the sweet spot.

What X/Y saturation and curves do you all like to use?

This can vary quite a bit between module and your peripheral. For what it's worth though, on the F-18 TDC on a Virpil throttle I have a deadzone of 10, a curve of 20 and full saturation - for both X & Y, and that feels pretty good for me.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So A-10 question for attacking a ground objective:

Being shot at by SAMs is scary. I don't like it and it makes me sad. Right now what I'm doing is basically look at what's around, fly higher than what I think their weapons envelope is and drop guided bombs down on those fuckers. Repeat at lower and lower altitudes until it's BRRRRT-o'clock on whoever's left.

Does that sound right? My mental image of the A-10 is low level gun runs, but I think that's a product of who we've fought for the last 20 years and not really how we'd fight a foe that actually had good anti-air capability.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yep thats right. Gun is for BTRs etc, tho you can kill MBTs. BMP2s and 3sI avoid due to their AA capability. Zu23 and 23/4 you can outrange wirh gun. Tunguska you cant.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Also, take some time to learn the workings of the countermeasure system.

In particular, two lessons are of note: auto mode gets you killed, and ECM is a pointless paper weight.

Running countermeasures on manual mode may seem like a lot of faffing around, but in the A-10 in particular, it's mostly a matter of having a look at — and maaaaybe set up — a suitable release program (or two) before you take off. After that, it's just having your thumb ready on or near the release button, and both programs and individual or small batch releases are a single flick away. More importantly, they happen when you want and in response to what you want. Auto mode (and semi-auto to some extent) will happily ignore stuff that is shooting at you or actively threatening you because it's distracted by something that conceivably be dangerous if you were in a completely different post code.

ECM suffers from programming problems rather than stupid automation problems. Specifically, the massively simplified way sensors work in DCS, ECM only ever has any potential for effect at distances where you could just as easily avoid a shot by just flying away. Even at A-10 pace. And that's if there's any affect on targeting range at all — the developers have never been that forthcoming with how it's supposed to work and most testing show wildly inconsistent behaviour between different aircraft and SAM systems. For “inconsistent”, read “target range may be reduced by 0% rather than 5%”… In fact, the most common effect you come across is that the missile you're trying to defend against will have home-on-jam (irrespective of whether that makes sense for that missile or not) and just home in better if you turn the noise on.

For a very specific set of aircraft, mostly by third-party developers, and against some missiles, it works, but for the A-10, just bring more boom.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Oh yeah I have no idea how the automatic thingy is supposed to work, so I just go left/right on the CMS to dump 6 chaff/flare when the angry missile alert goes off. I then dive towards the ground and try to beam it while continuing the countermeasure spam.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Also countermeasures are great in a dogfight. Not just for flaring against heatseekers, but also just for confusing the enemy's sight picture. I've missed many a shot because of a flare being in my face. A-10s can loving dump those fuckers, so it's quite possible to create a sorta smoke cover for a turn reversal that can catch folks unaware.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The 3/9 line crank with burners on while on a descent is like 75% effective alone. Add chaff/flare and it increases to 85% .

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Currently I have the A-10C 2.0 SE Turbo and a nearly 10 year old Thrustmaster Warthog hotass. I love the absurd 1:1 nature of the jet in the sim matching the controller on my desk, but now I want to add a plane to my roster that's a speedy boy. Out of the F18, F16 and maybe the Jeff will any of them give me issues mapping stuff to the warthog HOTAS or will I have sufficient button and switch real estate. I might also just buy the Harrier outright since it's a more modest $35; same question about that.

Secondly, do people usually remap the warthog throttle switches to other stuff? I have never thrown a switch on it besides the autopilot, l/g horn, flaps and weird zoom lever thingies. Hell I basically never even do the lift the throttle up to shut the engine off thing since Alt+Home/End is way easier.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 2, 2022

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Never had any issues mapping any of those to a warthog HOTAS (though I don't have the Jeff). Hell, F-16 actually has nearly the same stick.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

The Chuck’s guides do a good job of adapting controls to the warthog throttle and stick

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Bedurndurn posted:

Hell I basically never even do the lift the throttle up to shut the engine off thing since Alt+Home/End is way easier.

What

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

The idle/off detent thingy? You pull it back all the way, then lift it up and over a block and slide it back and it turns off. RAlt/RCtrl + Home/End is left/right engine start/stop.

Glad to hear stick stuff should be fine. I'll check out the Chuck's guide for the FA18 so I have an excuse to buy Supercarrier, salute the man in control of the catapult and take off with a gigantic freedom boner.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Bedurndurn posted:

The idle/off detent thingy? You pull it back all the way, then lift it up and over a block and slide it back and it turns off. RAlt/RCtrl + Home/End is left/right engine start/stop.

No, sorry, I was expressing my disbelief that a keyboard shortcut could be easier than just lifting the throttle you already have your hand on. I have the same throttle.

I also play in vr, which colours my opinion a bit.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Xakura posted:

No, sorry, I was expressing my disbelief that a keyboard shortcut could be easier than just lifting the throttle you already have your hand on. I have the same throttle.

I also play in vr, which colours my opinion a bit.

That makes more sense. Do you have them in some kind of mounting bracket? When I pull the handles up on mine it pulls the whole throttle assembly off the desk a bit and clunk back down. Maybe there's an adjustable amount of friction to that I could lessen, but I don't know.

I've also got the keyboard at the ready because that slew stick is loving dogshit, so I use ,./; instead.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Bedurndurn posted:

That makes more sense. Do you have them in some kind of mounting bracket? When I pull the handles up on mine it pulls the whole throttle assembly off the desk a bit and clunk back down. Maybe there's an adjustable amount of friction to that I could lessen, but I don't know.

I've also got the keyboard at the ready because that slew stick is loving dogshit, so I use ,./; instead.

Oh I see. Yes, mine is mounted, but it wasn't always. You can walk them over the idle detent one by one and still have weight on the throttle, but i remember the afterburner detent being a pain before I got a push-through detent.

(I assume you've removed the AB detent what with flying a warthog)

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Bedurndurn posted:

Currently I have the A-10C 2.0 SE Turbo and a nearly 10 year old Thrustmaster Warthog hotass. I love the absurd 1:1 nature of the jet in the sim matching the controller on my desk, but now I want to add a plane to my roster that's a speedy boy. Out of the F18, F16 and maybe the Jeff will any of them give me issues mapping stuff to the warthog HOTAS or will I have sufficient button and switch real estate. I might also just buy the Harrier outright since it's a more modest $35; same question about that.

Secondly, do people usually remap the warthog throttle switches to other stuff? I have never thrown a switch on it besides the autopilot, l/g horn, flaps and weird zoom lever thingies. Hell I basically never even do the lift the throttle up to shut the engine off thing since Alt+Home/End is way easier.

You could always get the F-18 stick attachment for the Warthog if you just gotta have that 1:1.

On a side note: the Hornet is tits.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xakura posted:

Oh I see. Yes, mine is mounted, but it wasn't always. You can walk them over the idle detent one by one and still have weight on the throttle, but i remember the afterburner detent being a pain before I got a push-through detent.

For the AB detent at least, it's pretty trivial to mod it to be push-through by just carefully shaving off some at the top bit and smoothing it out.
To some extent you can do that with the idle detent as well, but since you don't want to accidentally turn your engines off when you just throttle back to idle, that's less ideal. :D

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Xakura posted:

I don't feel a detent at high throttle and it looks like it goes all the way. So I probably removed it at some point (stick is ~10 years old and I haven't used it in 9ish years)? Oh actually the manual says it's in there and I just have to unscrew a thing and flip another thing around again and it'll have a detent there. So that's nice.

Has anyone done a slew replacement mod that they want to recommend? I saw this:

https://deltasimelectronics.com/products/thumbstick-slew-sensor-adapter

Muurkas
Apr 20, 2005

Bedurndurn posted:

I don't feel a detent at high throttle and it looks like it goes all the way. So I probably removed it at some point (stick is ~10 years old and I haven't used it in 9ish years)? Oh actually the manual says it's in there and I just have to unscrew a thing and flip another thing around again and it'll have a detent there. So that's nice.

Has anyone done a slew replacement mod that they want to recommend? I saw this:

https://deltasimelectronics.com/products/thumbstick-slew-sensor-adapter
I use this mod and am very happy with the result. Installation is idiot-proof

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

I've done that mod too, it's great.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Bedurndurn posted:

For F-18, F-16, and F-14, warthog is already mapped by default.

Flap lever is the similar looking switch in F-16, and will turn of your power as it is the electrical switch.

I fly with the default warthog bindings for viper and tomcat.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How much older is the FA18 in the game compared to the A-10? Managing ground targets feels like an old Nokia to the A-10c2's early iPhone.

Flies like a loving dream though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bedurndurn posted:

How much older is the FA18 in the game compared to the A-10? Managing ground targets feels like an old Nokia to the A-10c2's early iPhone.

Flies like a loving dream though.

The major modernization for both of the models in game were 1987 for the F/A-18C and 2005 for the A-10C. So you're going from a NES to a Xbox 360 in terms of tech.

The air frames themselves for both could be as old as the 70s.