Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

The conflict and systems are focused on earlyish 1990's.
I can't understand either why Sabres and early planes are in the production queue for something where they are obsolete by design.

Mig21 will be great but for what?

The Mig 21bis is from the 80s.

They should get some late 80s aircraft in the game like the F-15E

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Realistic answer is you don't need the latest and greatest 5th generation stealth super plane to bomb a truck convoy or intercept some bombers.

Comedy answer: F-15 only carries 8 AMRAAMs, bring 9 Mig-21's and have money left over.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
That eagle could outrun the Mig-21 all the way home.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

That eagle could outrun the Mig-21 all the way home.

Mig-21s have the R-73 and can hit mach 2 so don't get too cocky.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Realistic answer is you don't need the latest and greatest 5th generation stealth super plane to bomb a truck convoy or intercept some bombers.

Comedy answer: F-15 only carries 8 AMRAAMs, bring 9 Mig-21's and have money left over.

Plus it's funny as hell splashing Putin-fabulous Russian A-10s with P-51s.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We did some tuskgoonie airmen with the free Mustangs.

These planes are really really cool, fully clickable and modeled and they are free!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Do you guys anticipate the DCS:P-51 situation being the same as the DCS:F-15 situation when the WW2 pack comes out? As in, I shouldn't buy it because if I wait for the WW2 pack I can buy that and have it included?

(also I'm thinking of jumping on the Huey train once my computer reaches America)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A good reason not to buy the P51 is that you get the unarmored version for free and it is the same exact airplane, full cockpit, clickedy things and simulation.

The armed one sure can be cool, but there are few places where you can actually use it. It just does not seem to be the money's worth when looked into what you can do with it, especially now that there is the free one.

deck
Jul 13, 2006

More Tuskgoonie airmen action:

Simble, Ferretking, Deck:

Communicating... Keeping up foreign relations.

Edit: another angle, courtesy of Ferretking:

deck fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 16, 2014

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I have a couple of questions about the Ka-50's autopilot, particularly how the channels interact with each other. How does heading hold work with bank hold? If I'm holding a bank I'm likely not holding my heading. Does the autopilot fight itself then or does one channel override the other? How does it work with yaw, which the autopilot doesn't have a channel for?

Also, altitude hold. Not clear on what that does at all. It doesn't seem to touch the collective, not even in hover mode, (where I suppose it would be useful) so I'm not sure what it does do.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
So while I sit in RMA hell with Thrustmaster, I've been playing DCS huey. A lot. Do we need a tutorial on it? I've thought about making a basic startup and flight tutorial video, but :effort:

I could also do one on "how not to blow up the P-51's engine".

deck
Jul 13, 2006

Elukka posted:

I have a couple of questions about the Ka-50's autopilot, particularly how the channels interact with each other. How does heading hold work with bank hold? If I'm holding a bank I'm likely not holding my heading. Does the autopilot fight itself then or does one channel override the other? How does it work with yaw, which the autopilot doesn't have a channel for?

Also, altitude hold. Not clear on what that does at all. It doesn't seem to touch the collective, not even in hover mode, (where I suppose it would be useful) so I'm not sure what it does do.

If you have a bank it'll hold the bank. There's probably some bank limit below which the autopilot will hold the heading, but I don't know what it is. It's probably also related to forward speed because you can also trim a sideslip with no forward airspeed. This isn't something you should need to think about, it generally just does the right thing.

Keep in mind that the autopilot/stabilizers only have 20% control authority. If you're trimmed such that you're more than 20% away from the autopilot target, it won't be able to do anything. For altitude hold, there are a couple factors involved:

- There's a 3 position switch on the autopilot panel that selects the between holding Radio Alt, Barometric Alt, and a centered position that might be "off" but I'm not sure.

- The 20% autopilot authority rule also applies to the collective. The collective is "trimmed" via the Collective Brake (default key: F). So configure the autopilot settings, enter level flight, let go of the collective, and tap the collective brake to hold that altitude.

In autohover, if the collective is moved away from the 20% authority band, there will be no altitude hold unless you tap the collective brake... and that just sets a new altitude target. If holding that target requires moving the collective more than 20% from its current position, it will also fail to hold. So to hold a hover you need to be already in a stable hover, then tap the collective brake, and don't touch the collective.

deck fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 16, 2014

deck
Jul 13, 2006

SocketSeven posted:

I could also do one on "how not to blow up the P-51's engine".

I'd like to see a short summary listing the things that cause the engine to die, and basically how to avoid them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Considering this is DCS the P-51 has full manual radiator, pitch and mixture right? That's going to be bit a bitch to do without a throttle quadrant.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

deck posted:

useful words
Thanks for the clarification.

I've run into a bit of an annoyance: With Shkval on, the HUD no longer displays airspeed. I have no idea why it would do that because nothing takes its place. Whenever I'm in combat I have to be constantly peeking down to the airspeed indicator despite the HUD being right there! Is there any way to get the airspeed display back on with Shkval active?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Elukka posted:

I've run into a bit of an annoyance: With Shkval on, the HUD no longer displays airspeed. I have no idea why it would do that because nothing takes its place. Whenever I'm in combat I have to be constantly peeking down to the airspeed indicator despite the HUD being right there! Is there any way to get the airspeed display back on with Shkval active?

By default the HUD removes excess clutter, which is why you are losing airspeed from the HUD. I don't think theres a way to keep it up either, other than pressing backspace and caging the Shkval.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
So I've just gotten into DCS, and I've been mainly messing around with the Russian plane (SU-25T). Aside from the steep learning curve, the one thing that has been messing with me is that it's hard to read a lot of the cockpit displays. Is there a separate resolution setting for these? I have the general game resolution turned up - and that's fine - but it's still hard to read all the instruments on the panel.

I did discover that I can "zoom in" my cockpit view, and that helps with reading things, but is there an easier way to do this? Perhaps make the default zoom level a bit higher or something?

...or is this something where TrackIR would be good to have (I'm assuming it works with this game). If I had it, could I just lean forward to read things?

deck
Jul 13, 2006

Elukka posted:

The Ka-50 HUD never displays airspeed -- only GPS computed ground speed, which is why it doesn't appear on the hud for about 1 minute after starting up. (It's still getting a GPS/GLONASS lock)

As for your question: (the shkval always shows airspeed)

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

imperialparadox posted:

Aside from the steep learning curve, the one thing that has been messing with me is that it's hard to read a lot of the cockpit displays. Is there a separate resolution setting for these?

There is a separate option for cockpit resolution. It may have defaulted to low.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

Considering this is DCS the P-51 has full manual radiator, pitch and mixture right? That's going to be bit a bitch to do without a throttle quadrant.

Merlin-powered P-51s have automatic shutter control for their radiator and oil cooler, and a pressure carburetor, which means you basically have auto-lean (cruise) and an auto-rich (Military Power) mixture detents.

You really just NEED a throttle axis, and a prop pitch axis.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Am I doing something wrong?

I am going back and doing the A-10 tutorials again since it's been so long since I've played this, and on the HOTAS tutorial they start you in the air with autopilot engaged. Not touching anything on the keyboard or joystick after a while the computer will say "Warning Autopilot" and disengage, forcing me to focus on flying while also being head down looking at MFCDs and gauges figuring out what the gently caress is what. I can't seem to ever re-engage the autopilot and if I just focus on what the nice military man is telling me and looking at panels and displays, I wind up tail spinning and eating poo poo.

Do I just need to turn on game flight physics while I play the tutorials to keep it on the level?

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

You could try making the dead zone on your stick bigger, mine needs a fairly big one or it constantly pulls left even when centred.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

imperialparadox posted:

So I've just gotten into DCS, and I've been mainly messing around with the Russian plane (SU-25T). Aside from the steep learning curve, the one thing that has been messing with me is that it's hard to read a lot of the cockpit displays. Is there a separate resolution setting for these? I have the general game resolution turned up - and that's fine - but it's still hard to read all the instruments on the panel.

I did discover that I can "zoom in" my cockpit view, and that helps with reading things, but is there an easier way to do this? Perhaps make the default zoom level a bit higher or something?

...or is this something where TrackIR would be good to have (I'm assuming it works with this game). If I had it, could I just lean forward to read things?

There is a separate resolution setting for displays but I can't stress enough how much better TrackIR makes the sim experience (or perhaps one of the free-ish hacked alternatives), so much so that I'd almost say some sort of head-tracking solution is almost as mandatory as a joystick. I got my flight sim start using a trackIR and an old Logitech Extreme3d stick and of all the cool toys I've bought since then the original TrackIR purchase is hands down the biggest thing that got me into flight sims, I really found it to be a night and day difference.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jarmak posted:

There is a separate resolution setting for displays but I can't stress enough how much better TrackIR makes the sim experience (or perhaps one of the free-ish hacked alternatives), so much so that I'd almost say some sort of head-tracking solution is almost as mandatory as a joystick. I got my flight sim start using a trackIR and an old Logitech Extreme3d stick and of all the cool toys I've bought since then the original TrackIR purchase is hands down the biggest thing that got me into flight sims, I really found it to be a night and day difference.

I've been into flight simming since long before TrackIR was a thing. It is an absolute must-have. If my 4 ever breaks, a 5 will be on a brown truck the next day.

I am hoping that they're developing something akin to FaceTrack/Kinect, though.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

deck posted:

The Ka-50 HUD never displays airspeed -- only GPS computed ground speed, which is why it doesn't appear on the hud for about 1 minute after starting up. (It's still getting a GPS/GLONASS lock)

As for your question: (the shkval always shows airspeed)
Ok, yeah, ground speed is what I really want anyway. :v:
It's a bitch that the HUD doesn't show speed with Shkval on. I really don't see why, but I suppose that's something you'd have to ask the designers.

imperialparadox posted:

A TrackIR is great for DCS but this isn't really a problem caused by a lack of it. I do find it helps in quickly zooming in on the Shkval but the instruments should be clear regardless. There is indeed an instrument resolution setting, mine is on 512 which seems to be fine, haven't really fiddled with it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Alright, let's get some hot goon-on-goon action going on in DCS.
YOU NEED A JOYSTICK but that is pretty much everything.

WHAT: DCS Goon get-together with Mustangs, flying in formation and taking off and helping DCS newbies with whatever they want.

WHEN: Sunday, 18th of May. At 1900 EST, 1600 PST.

WHERE: Air Goon Mumble: Mumble: AirGoons.mumble.cc:31148 , Dedicated server: LAME Goon DCS pw: lljk

WITH: DCS World and the latest patch. Every free account gets the mustang so you have no excuse not to join us. If you do not have the game, get it from Steam. IT IS FREE.

We have endless respawns for the Mustangs that start on an airfield. The engine is running so that no complex startup procedures hinder our fun. You can try to taxi, takeoff and land as many times as you want. Labels are on for easy spotting.
Basically this is the chance for total newbies to learn the ropes around the game and have some fun flying around together and a chance for the more experienced to practice formation flying or some poo poo.

Here is a quick guide for what you need to get airborne and what controls you need to map:

-Brakes. You need to go to control settings, under "TF-51", select tab "Systems". From there, assign left wheel brake and right wheel brake separately however you want them to. I have them on keyboard Q and E and both brakes activate from W.

-Throttle. Go to "TF-51" and under "Axis Commands", make sure that your throttle is your throttle and your rudder is rudder. These are sometimes reversed for this plane, most likely ED loving with us.

You will spawn in the Mustang on the taxiway, with your engine running. Go to external view with F2 if necessary. Slowly apply throttle and use rudder and wheel brakes at the same time to turn carefully. Do not overcompensate.
When and if you get to the runway, slowly apply full throttle. Your plane will
yaw to the left, so apply some opposite rudder to counter this. When you are airborne, hit G to take your gear up.

You are now airborne, woohoo! Join the formation.

Here is a quick visual reference:
(I can't type, apparently. In my defense I speak six languages so suck it)

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 18, 2014

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

We are learning.

Be careful when setting trim.

Too much collective will cause spontaneous combustion of user.

Brakes are an aid to landing, but not necessarily required.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Before the 6DOF cockpit was patched in the Su-25T cockpit was very easy to read, because the flat texture was up 'in your face' in a way.

The HUD also not always centered now because it actually moves with your head/view.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Vahakyla posted:

WHAT: DCS Goon get-together with Mustangs, flying in formation and taking off and helping DCS newbies with whatever they want.

WHERE: Air Goon Mumble, Dedicated server will be posted later.

WITH: DCS World and the latest patch. Every free account gets the mustang so you have no excuse not to join us. If you do not have the game, get it from Steam. IT IS FREE.

This sounds great, I'll try to make it. I've been curious about DCS for a while now but only just recently bought a joystick and TrackIR so this will be a good chance to break into it.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Vahakyla posted:

WHERE: Air Goon Mumble, Dedicated server will be posted later.

I'd love to join, but that's 1AM for me (Europe) and I need to be at work at 6.30AM :( Please consider either doing it on a Friday/Saturday next time, or at least a bit earlier so Europeans can join too.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I'm down for flying almost whenever, mostly in the evening Pacific time though.

I love the 6dof cockpits and all but it's there any way to switch between that and the old cockpits?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Pacific time best time.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Baloogan posted:

Pacific time best time.

Yup. Count me in!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I added a visual reference for the Mustang night post so that a newbie can get his basic grasp in the cockpit.
Anything I should add?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I won't be able to make it because I'll be with my girlfriend :smugdog:.

While I won't claim that I'm an amazing mission maker, as I can't do scripting and the like. I can make missions with triggers and poo poo so if anyone is interested I can put together a thing or two. I'll have a chat with Vahakyla so if anyone has any requests or ideas I can see what I can do with them.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Daimo posted:

Brakes are an aid to landing, but not necessarily required.
Well at least your wings are still intact:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Insert name here posted:

Well at least your wings are still intact:

Assuming we've advanced a bunch since WW2, this should take like 25 seconds to repair, tops.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

deck posted:

Record video of first flight. Post here.

As not promised: An airplane is born into the world with no idea how to exist. I was expecting 'instant action' to take me to the pad for startup checks.

Also surprising was roll left mapped to rudder left, but pretty much my only thoughts were "make the bad noises stop".

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 17, 2014

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Might be up for some stick time on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_58nWeDwDL8
Actually my third flight, my first one I got shot down by 3 F-16s on takeoff, and my second went well. I have no idea what happened to the recordings resolution, I'll have to mess with that some more I guess.